Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

In the books, though I don't think the wish itself was ever specified in them. I think it's one of the short stories before Ciri's stuff begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Native, if I turn on dsfix the game takes all inputs from the controller twice.

You're welcome. Try that and see if it fixes your issues. I still don't understand why native DS4 support was added WITHOUT including the appropriate button prompts. That really irks me.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

OAquinas posted:

20 years+ ago. Basically when they first met.

Given above + re: ending, didnt tell Yennefer I loved her. Holy poo poo that was loving harsh. Definitely trying the other route in NG+

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

OAquinas posted:

That..would tread water. You'd buy the florens at 1f : 3c (or 3 bottles) and then cash them at the bank for 1f : 3c.

Riiiiiiight... but you're loaning him money so you can sell the bottles to him and then get the money right back from Vivaldi. Explicitly:

Say we start with 10,000c
code:
Action                                                              Balance
Buy 1,000 bottles                                            9,000c 
Sell 1,000c worth of crap                                   10,000c
Buy 333f off Loan Shark                                      9,000c
Sell 1,000 Bottles                                          10,000c
Go to Vivaldi, exchange f for c                              11,000c
There. That way you don't have to go merchant to merchant and meditating forever so the merchants get gold. It's the whole reason they stopped the loan shark from having infinite florens.

Also, yes, I know 333f = 999c I just rounded.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

Riiiiiiight... but you're loaning him money so you can sell the bottles to him and then get the money right back from Vivaldi. Explicitly:

Say we start with 10,000c
code:
Action                                                              Balance
Buy 1,000 bottles                                            9,000c 
Sell 1,000c worth of crap                             10,000c
Buy 333f off Loan Shark                                9,000c
Sell 1,000 Bottles                                           10,000c
Go to Vivaldi, exchange f for c                     11,000c
There. That way you don't have to go merchant to merchant and meditating forever so the merchants get gold. It's the whole reason they stopped the loan shark from having infinite florens.

Also, yes, I know 333f = 999c I just rounded.

Or just like, sell the bottles to whoever takes them as you explore around and not worry about dumping all of them on one merchant for foreign currency. The loanshark doesnt even sell foreign currency anymore. You still break even on the bottles, and the first merchant still offers way above what any other merchant would for literally all of your items.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 12, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Or don't worry about maximizing your income at all because money is not a problem past hour 10 of gameplay.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Manatee Cannon posted:

In the books, though I don't think the wish itself was ever specified in them. I think it's one of the short stories before Ciri's stuff begins.

The exact wording of the wish is never revealed, only Geralt and Yennefer know it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

The exact wording of the wish is never revealed, only Geralt and Yennefer know it.

This makes me wonder why ingame Yennefer is so intent on dispelling it other than the cliche I wonder if he TRULY loves me!?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

She wants to know if it's real or everything up until now has just been based on the wish. If you tell her you still love her even after the wish is dispelled, she confides that she still feels the same as well.

They do have a pretty rocky history and were on again, off again for years at a time. Plus Geralt does spend a few years with Triss when he has amnesia, so

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fishstick posted:

This makes me wonder why ingame Yennefer is so intent on dispelling it

Yennefer is very much a take-charge person and it has significantly bothered her over the years whether she feels genuine attraction and love of Geralt or if her feelings are coerced by djinn magic. Despite being an incredibly powerful mage and having decades of study of djinns under her belt she couldn't come up with a way to distinguish what was 'real' compared to what was djinn magic and decided the only way to tell was to break to spell. If they still loved each other than she can finally be happy knowing she does love him and he loves her back. Or if you're a heartless monster she gets dumped as Geralt lowers his shades and tell her to be careful what she wishes for.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

420 Gank Mid posted:

It's been pointed out before that Yen and Geralt are like an old married couple, with Yen playing the nagging wife role and Geralt being the more resigned, oafish husband. I'd like to think that actually has to do with how djinns pervert every wish.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Fishstick posted:

Or just like, sell the bottles to whoever takes them as you explore around and not worry about dumping all of them on one merchant for foreign currency. The loanshark doesnt even sell foreign currency anymore. You still break even on the bottles, and the first merchant still offers way above what any other merchant would for literally all of your items.

Which is why I explicitly said BEFORE they patched him originally. I was just explaining how it used to be able to be done if you cared.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yennefer is the canon love interest. Triss even being in the running is only from the games. Triss is incredibly lovely to Geralt, Ciri, and Yennefer on several occasions in the novels and the first game. You don't really get to see that in TW2 or 3 and the only thing that's brought up is how you cheat on Yennefer with her. What isn't brought up is how Triss takes advantage of Geralt's amnesia in the first game to sleep with him because he can't remember who Yennefer is. The book stuff is glossed over entirely, even in the books themselves. It always confused me how Yennefer or Geralt still considered her their friend by the end of the novels.

edit: I think the big difference to keep in mind is that Yennefer will always put Geralt and Ciri first; Triss puts politics and the sorcerers/sorceresses first and will abandon you if it comes down to it. This is true in both the novels and the games.

I don't think Yennefer still considers Triss her friend at all really, in the books or the games. That "You hosed a dear friend of mine" line at Kaer Morhen came off as sarcastic to me. Plus there's the whole "Go hide behind the Lodge's skirts" bit near the end of the last book. And Triss does, leaving Yennefer to get stoned to death, before eventually being so ashamed that she repented and came back at the last minute.

gently caress Triss.

Oxxidation posted:

She suffers for her actions and then some over the course of Witcher 2 and 3, though, so it's probably safe to assume she regrets what she did. There's a definite undertone of penance in her mission to smuggle all the mages out of Novigrad.

She repents the outcome. She doesn't really learn anything meaningful from her actions though. She stopped being an abject coward at least, but she still is hopelessly naive and has a huge blindspot for anything another mage does that doesn't involve Geralt's dick. Her whole "No please don't take the crystal to Radovid, he might hurt Philippa!" and Lodge apologism shows that.

Manatee Cannon posted:

They do have a pretty rocky history and were on again, off again for years at a time. Plus Geralt does spend a few years with Triss when he has amnesia, so

He spent a few months with Triss. No more than half a year. It's a fling, unless the player decides it meant more than that. Plus part of the whole point of the first part of the books was Geralt and Yennefer developing enough as people that they could be together and happy instead of driving each other mad over stupid bullshit. And who knows how long they were together at Avalon before Mr. Eredin's Wild Ride showed up. The whole rocky on again/off again part of their relationship is pretty much over by the middle of the books.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Do the sidequests start to give you more exp in general the further you get into the game?

I've just done all the ones i can do at my level (4) and they just seem to be giving me 25 or 50exp so it's taking ages to level up. I'm coming across loads of stuff that's level 9/10 and after hitting all the notice boards in the second area the majority of my sidequests are all level 10+ too.

Have i kind of jumped the gun a little and should have stuck to the main story for a bit or something?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

I don't think Yennefer still considers Triss her friend at all really, in the books or the games. That "You hosed a dear friend of mine" line at Kaer Morhen came off as sarcastic to me. Plus there's the whole "Go hide behind the Lodge's skirts" bit near the end of the last book. And Triss does, leaving Yennefer to get stoned to death, before eventually being so ashamed that she repented and came back at the last minute.

gently caress Triss.

She repents the outcome. She doesn't really learn anything meaningful from her actions though. She stopped being an abject coward at least, but she still is hopelessly naive and has a huge blindspot for anything another mage does that doesn't involve Geralt's dick. Her whole "No please don't take the crystal to Radovid, he might hurt Philippa!" and Lodge apologism shows that.

He spent a few months with Triss. No more than half a year. It's a fling, unless the player decides it meant more than that. Plus part of the whole point of the first part of the books was Geralt and Yennefer developing enough as people that they could be together and happy instead of driving each other mad over stupid bullshit. And who knows how long they were together at Avalon before Mr. Eredin's Wild Ride showed up. The whole rocky on again/off again part of their relationship is pretty much over by the middle of the books.

Yeah, Geralt and Yennefer get along fine once Geralt finally says "I love you" to her in the third book.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yennefer refers to Triss as her best friend and vice versa in both the games and books. Triss gets away with a lot, especially in the books.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yennefer refers to Triss as her best friend and vice versa in both the games and books. Triss gets away with a lot, especially in the books.

I love the section in Kaer Morhen about the bed.

"Yennefer threw the bed out the window."
"That's strange, it was a perfectly good bed, Triss never seemed to have a probl..... :aaa:"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Kin posted:

Do the sidequests start to give you more exp in general the further you get into the game?

I've just done all the ones i can do at my level (4) and they just seem to be giving me 25 or 50exp so it's taking ages to level up. I'm coming across loads of stuff that's level 9/10 and after hitting all the notice boards in the second area the majority of my sidequests are all level 10+ too.

Have i kind of jumped the gun a little and should have stuck to the main story for a bit or something?

They do increase, but not a huge amount. The main quest is your biggest source of XP through the game, so if you feel like gaining some levels just do a couple of those quests.

And remember that since there's essentially only three main locations for the game (Velen, Novigrad and Skellige), there's content for all levels between 4 and 40 in each of those areas. You'll pick up ridiculously high levelled-stuff from noticeboards all the time, don't sweat it and just come back to it when you feel like it.

Alternatively, if quests/contracts etc are only a couple of levels above you - give it a shot. A difference of a few levels can easily be overcome with good play (dodging hits, using your bombs/oils/potions/signs appropriately).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah, Geralt and Yennefer get along fine once Geralt finally says "I love you" to her in the third book.

He's kind of an rear end really. For all the poo poo Geralt gets about Yennefer, I was way more sympathetic to her on a re-read. 15 years together and he never once said that. No wonder she was considering dumping him in Sword of Destiny. He couldn't commit.

Manatee Cannon posted:

In the books yes. At least, initially. Remember, it's not the sleeping with Geralt that pissed her off the most. It's the much worse poo poo she pulled later on that primarily affected Geralt and Ciri.

I don't remember her calling her her best friend at any point in the game.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yennefer is the canon love interest. Triss even being in the running is only from the games. Triss is incredibly lovely to Geralt, Ciri, and Yennefer on several occasions in the novels and the first game. You don't really get to see that in TW2 or 3 and the only thing that's brought up is how you cheat on Yennefer with her. What isn't brought up is how Triss takes advantage of Geralt's amnesia in the first game to sleep with him because he can't remember who Yennefer is. The book stuff is glossed over entirely, even in the books themselves. It always confused me how Yennefer or Geralt still considered her their friend by the end of the novels.

edit: I think the big difference to keep in mind is that Yennefer will always put Geralt and Ciri first; Triss puts politics and the sorcerers/sorceresses first and will abandon you if it comes down to it. This is true in both the novels and the games.

I just met Triss for the first time and she did allude to the fact that she manipulated Geralt via his amnesia. He does sort of dismiss it for some reason, but it is mentioned.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

He's kind of an rear end really. For all the poo poo Geralt gets about Yennefer, I was way more sympathetic to her on a re-read. 15 years together and he never once said that. No wonder she was considering dumping him in Sword of Destiny. He couldn't commit.

In the books yes. At least, initially. Remember, it's not the sleeping with Geralt that pissed her off the most. It's the much worse poo poo she pulled later on that primarily affected Geralt and Ciri.

They were on-again, off-again during the time of the short stories. Falling out all the time and then meeting again (thanks, Djinn).
And yeah it's actually kinda surprising how cool Yennefer is with Triss, considering the Lodge meetings from the books. Weird how I never noticed that. Was anything ever said about how they reconciled?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

To be fair to Geralt, he did think it many times, and Yennefer 'heard' it plenty of times. It's just kind of absurd that he never actually said it aloud for so long, Geralt seems to be a much quieter character in the books, which makes sense because it spares us an voiceover inner monologue in the games that would inevitably get annoying.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Manatee Cannon posted:

The best ending for me was Geralt saying to hell with you bitchy sorceresses, I'm going to continue on witcherin' and living hand to mouth. No decoction exists to insulate me from that much crazy lovely.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

They were on-again, off-again during the time of the short stories. Falling out all the time and then meeting again (thanks, Djinn).
And yeah it's actually kinda surprising how cool Yennefer is with Triss, considering the Lodge meetings from the books. Weird how I never noticed that. Was anything ever said about how they reconciled?

When Geralt and Yennefer 'die' at the pogram in Rivia Triss does return to help them as much as she can and manages to cast a famous devastating weather spell to disperse the rioters that has never been reproduced because she had her teeth knocked in and slurred all the words to it. After the dust settles she just kinda stands there dazed while Ciri takes Geralt and Yen away to another dimension, and I don't think we ever hear when if ever they talk again in between then and Witcher 3.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Don't think that stuff is ever explicitly mentioned in this game

420 Gank Mid posted:

When Geralt and Yennefer 'die' at the pogram in Rivia Triss does return to help them as much as she can and manages to cast a famous devastating weather spell to disperse the rioters that has never been reproduced because she had her teeth knocked in and slurred all the words to it. After the dust settles she just kinda stands there dazed while Ciri takes Geralt and Yen away to another dimension, and I don't think we ever hear when if ever they talk again in between then and Witcher 3.

She actually runs away at first and then comes back out of shame. And Yennefer kills herself trying to use some healing magic on Geralt and Triss just kinda stands there without helping or trying to stop her. Though Triss does save Geralt after the Tower of Gulls coup d'etat. I think that's the one entirely selfless thing she does for Geralt in the books. Even when she came to Kaer Morhen she was just doing it to try and sleep with Geralt.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Kin posted:

SIdequests are always about that much throughout the game; no guns have been jumped. Do a bit more of the main quest for sick gains

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Manatee Cannon posted:

Don't think that stuff is ever explicitly mentioned in this game

She actually runs away at first and then comes back out of shame. And Yennefer kills herself trying to use some healing magic on Geralt and Triss just kinda stands there without helping or trying to stop her. Though Triss does save Geralt after the Tower of Gulls coup d'etat. I think that's the one entirely selfless thing she does for Geralt in the books. Even when she came to Kaer Morhen she was just doing it to try and sleep with Geralt.

And even that she does by magic punching him in the face, which was loving hilarious. Also hilarious was Keira Metz being right that Geralt wasn't gonna come back for her, even if it was for a different reason than she suspected.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I seem to be burning through my summer backlog pretty quickly. I see that Greenmangaming has Witcher 3 for sale for half off but they're out of stock somehow. Is there anyplace else that I can get this game for PC for cheaper than $60?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
It's really, really worth every penny of $60.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The best ending for me was Geralt saying to hell with you bitchy sorceresses, I'm going to continue on witcherin' and living hand to mouth. No decoction exists to insulate me from that much crazy lovely.

There should have been a Cerys option. Cerys was cool. Don't tell me that she was that interested in Geralt's relationship with Yen out of casual curiosity.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Doesn't matter what Triss did in the books, Yennefer is funnier and way more in synch with Geralt. Phillipa is right about Triss acting like Ciri's big sister and how creepy that is.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Jack of Hearts posted:

There should have been a Cerys option. Cerys was cool. Don't tell me that she was that interested in Geralt's relationship with Yen out of casual curiosity.

While Geralt isn't above sleeping with ladies one fifth his age normally, the daughter of a friend and former playmate to his own daughter might be crossing a line.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

AlmightyPants posted:

I seem to be burning through my summer backlog pretty quickly. I see that Greenmangaming has Witcher 3 for sale for half off but they're out of stock somehow. Is there anyplace else that I can get this game for PC for cheaper than $60?

It's worth at least $200 in gaming value, so 60 bucks is a steal, really

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Turds in magma posted:

It's worth at least $200 in gaming value, so 60 bucks is a steal, really

If that's the case, $30 is a double steal. I'm cheap! I'd rather not spend $30 if I don't have to!

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
The games don't really show how much of a dick Geralt is. You can give sarcastic answers and all, but in the books he's a pretty disagreeable dude.

My memory of Triss from the books is that she was a completely insecure wimp that desperately wanted to be accepted by Phillipa and the rest. She's got much more of a backbone in the games but they don't show you any of the bad poo poo she did. Like trying to deliver Ciri to the Lodge, etc. I haven't seen it but apparently there's an ending where Phillipa advises Empress Ciri. I can't imagine either Yen or Geralt letting that happen.
I am glad they had Triss take advantage of Geralt - without a flaw she'd just be a super stereotypical perfect, hot, powerful, loyal RPG girlfriend.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Ciri grew up with her and Hjalmar. It would be kind of creepy.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not getting the "Yennefer and Triss reconciled" thing. Yeah, Yennefer works with her for Ciri's sake. But the same goes for the rest of the Lodge. Including Philippa. Yennefer's always been a pragmatist. Meanwhile, just seeing a lock of her hair on the bed at Kaer Morhen was enough to send her into a rage and toss a large piece of furniture out of a balcony. I don't think they're still friends. Triss may want to be, but I think the sentiment is rather one-sided.

Also Geralt is more of an rear end in a top hat in the books than in the games because the games have the benefit of all his character development in the books having happened already. Same for Yennefer caring so much about Geralt and Ciri, Triss not being a coward, etc. That poo poo's already happened. No reason to retread it. They still have flaws, yeah, but they're not as crippling as they once were. Except for Triss's weird Lodge blindspot. But she's always been a shallow conformist. Just in her nature.

420 Gank Mid posted:

To be fair to Geralt, he did think it many times, and Yennefer 'heard' it plenty of times. It's just kind of absurd that he never actually said it aloud for so long, Geralt seems to be a much quieter character in the books, which makes sense because it spares us an voiceover inner monologue in the games that would inevitably get annoying.

She explicitly asks him to say it in Shard of Ice (well, at least as explicitly as someone like Yennefer can ask a thing like that. She's not one to beg), and I think if he had, all that bullshit with Istredd would have been avoided. He kind of comes off as an idiot in regards to relationships at that point of the story.

Edit: And yeah that's one of many problems with the writing with the Empress ending.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 13, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So please tell me in a yes/no answer that I can attack/kill the crones at a later point because they're horrible horrible creatures

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

So please tell me in a yes/no answer that I can attack/kill the crones at a later point because they're horrible horrible creatures

Yes. 2 out of 3 of them. The last one is dependent on the ending you get.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm sad you can't make the Nightmare that spawns when you free the Tree Spirit the new Roach myself.

Wanna ride through Velen on my murder-horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm upset that you can't tell Lambert you hosed Kiera before they leave together.