Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

FanaticalMilk posted:

Does anyone have audio issues with the Steam version of Ultimate Doom. Sometimes it sounds like the music is clipping and it often occurs when there are a lot of sound effects as well. I've searched the Steam forums to no avail.

Don't use DOSBox. Plug the game into one of the source ports links in the OP and it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Kins posted:

Because someone would have to rewrite a hefty chunk of engine to change it, and the Marathon community doesn't have the people power the Doom community has.

They also don't have the people power to set a default FOV that doesn't make people dry-retch. I know it's a simple one-line MML fix nowadays, but I redownloaded the trilogy to do some research for a Reelism boss, and gently caress.

That sucks :(

From what I have played it seems fun but it's so awkward to play due to that 30 FPS limit. Maybe I'll just skip ahead and check out the Halo games, since I've never played them.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TerminusEst13 posted:

Not yet.

Now that I'm done with Nocturne in Yellow, though, I'm getting back to her. I'm actually drafting up a prototype for a revamped punching system that she'll use, since I'm not at all happy with her current combo system.

Get hype!:woop:

The Kins posted:

Because someone would have to rewrite a hefty chunk of engine to change it, and the Marathon community doesn't have the people power the Doom community has.

They also don't have the people power to set a default FOV that doesn't make people dry-retch. I know it's a simple one-line MML fix nowadays, but I redownloaded the trilogy to do some research for a Reelism boss, and gently caress.

Sounds like you should make that FOV into a Reel! :pcgaming: Call it "Who's Halo?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wamdoodle posted:

Get hype!:woop:

Sounds like you should make that FOV into a Reel! :pcgaming: Call it "Who's Halo?"

Yes, this.

Man, I hate Halo's FOV. Same with Borderlands 1 on console, since I don't believe you can change it.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

FanaticalMilk posted:

Does anyone have audio issues with the Steam version of Ultimate Doom. Sometimes it sounds like the music is clipping and it often occurs when there are a lot of sound effects as well. I've searched the Steam forums to no avail.
I've had this as well, and the best advice I can give you is to just grab the wad off your Steam copy and play it on a source port. I looked everywhere to try to solve the sound issue when I was in the mood for playing Vanilla and I couldn't find any way to fix it. I think I just ended up playing Chocolate Doom.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Genocyber posted:

From what I have played it seems fun but it's so awkward to play due to that 30 FPS limit. Maybe I'll just skip ahead and check out the Halo games, since I've never played them.
It's a decent series! The Bungie games are well worth a shot! Never played the non-Bungie games, though, so YMMV there.

(Fun trivia: Doom and its game logic is capped to 35fps - source ports that up the framerate "interpolate" between each game logic frame to keep the FPS above the old cap without breaking or speeding up game logic. Wizardry.)

Wamdoodle posted:

Sounds like you should make that FOV into a Reel!

:pcgaming:
I don't think there's any ACS functions for affecting player FOV. Only weapons can do that in DECORATE as temporary scaling via A_ZoomFactor, for like sniper scopes and poo poo.

Which is probably for the best, honestly. If that power got into the wrong hands... :barf: Weaponized mods are something that can't end well, especially once the Elder Scrolls bastards get their hands on such powers. :eek:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

The Kins posted:

Steam and GOG versions are both by Night Dive. If the patch doesn't get added to the GOG version you should be able to apply it yourself.

The NewDark patches are kind of enigmatic since they're by an anonymous French coder who leaves deliberately vague messages with each release. Adds a bit of flavor, y'know?

Such an odd little situation. A company (Night Dive) finally rescues an IP from a mess of legal tangles and starts re-selling it. But they don't get the source code (or don't "officially" get it? or they get it but they won't/can't deal with it?). But the source code is leaked and some other guy who's not legally supposed to have the code makes patches. Which the company then officially distributes.

Works for me!

Another nice little thing I noticed on that System Shock news update: they're making use of Steam's opt-in beta functionality in a quirky way. Instead of actually using it for beta testing, they provide a list of "betas" which are actually previously released versions of the game. So if one of their updates breaks stuff for you, you can opt-in to some earlier version.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Johnny Law posted:

Another nice little thing I noticed on that System Shock news update: they're making use of Steam's opt-in beta functionality in a quirky way. Instead of actually using it for beta testing, they provide a list of "betas" which are actually previously released versions of the game. So if one of their updates breaks stuff for you, you can opt-in to some earlier version.
Valve have done this themselves in the past, mostly with CS:GO, so people can make video files of their demos/replays before they get broken forever.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

It's a decent series! The Bungie games are well worth a shot! Never played the non-Bungie games, though, so YMMV there.

(Fun trivia: Doom and its game logic is capped to 35fps - source ports that up the framerate "interpolate" between each game logic frame to keep the FPS above the old cap without breaking or speeding up game logic. Wizardry.)
I don't think there's any ACS functions for affecting player FOV. Only weapons can do that in DECORATE as temporary scaling via A_ZoomFactor, for like sniper scopes and poo poo.

Which is probably for the best, honestly. If that power got into the wrong hands... :barf: Weaponized mods are something that can't end well, especially once the Elder Scrolls bastards get their hands on such powers. :eek:

Hey, that's pretty neat fact about the game logic.

You could make it so the view constantly zooms in and out in a pulsing way. Same effect :barf: Call it that one: "Hope Your Keyboard Has a Dustcover" Kinda long though. Yeah, there's definitely nothing good that could come from that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Genocyber posted:

I've only played Halo 1 (on PC). It's a good game, if not amazing, up until the Flood. Then it gets so bad. It's a shame that Aleph One doesn't have as many quality of life features as it could, because I really like Marathon. Though I've not gotten terribly far, because I keep losing my saves for one reason or another.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

catlord posted:

I've only played Halo 1 (on PC). It's a good game, if not amazing, up until the Flood. Then it gets so bad. It's a shame that Aleph One doesn't have as many quality of life features as it could, because I really like Marathon. Though I've not gotten terribly far, because I keep losing my saves for one reason or another.

I'd argue that has more to do with the second half of the game just being the first half of the game but backwards rather than the flood themselves, but :shrug:

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Kinsie please never add anything like that to Reelism. I'm one of those people that gets sick due to low FOV and that'd pretty much ruin the mod for me.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I thought the issues with Aleph One were less because of the technicalities behind doing so, and more because those behind the project were extremely resistant to implementing several quality-of-life changes that weren't in the original game.

At least, this is the impression I had gathered from the year or two I've been in this thread.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Last time I checked (which was admittedly several years ago) Aleph One was controlled by ultra-purists who won't change anything that's seen as part of the core Marathon experience, and it would take a LOT of work to decouple rendering from the 30hz timer. This work was done for the Xbox port, but it never got 100% of the way there (and that was with coders being paid to do it) and there's no way to release it back into the open source project.

catlord posted:

Halo 1 is worth playing just to see an inflection point in FPS history; even if you think it's crap just about every console FPS since (and a lot of PC ones) have been influenced by it. There's the one famously bad Flood-only level, but after that you start to see three-way battles between you, the Flood, and the Covenant which are a lot more fun. The fact that it's the same levels backwards isn't as much of an issue beyond philosophical objections since they rejigger all the enemy encounters.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I love the Bungie developed Halo series and I'll gladly say that anytime the Flood are present is a worse part of the series than the non-Flood moments.

This is probably why ODST and Reach are the best in the series.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Really wish Microsoft would actually put their money where their mouth is with their bullshit claims of wanting to support PC gaming, and release some Halo games on PC. Just the Master Chief collection would be a good starting point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

I love the Bungie developed Halo series and I'll gladly say that anytime the Flood are present is a worse part of the series than the non-Flood moments.

Its also especially egregious that 2 and especially 3 tried to make the Elites into allies instead of enemies, replacing them with the Brutes who were strictly worse.

ODST and Reach were partially the best in the series because 90% of the time you're fighting elites again. And like no flood, yeah.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Really wish Microsoft would actually put their money where their mouth is with their bullshit claims of wanting to support PC gaming, and release some Halo games on PC. Just the Master Chief collection would be a good starting point.

They know that doing so would doom the xbone. Its literally all they have that's exclusive that's worth a poo poo. (I guess Rare Replay? :v:)

Hope you're looking forward to Halo MCC on PC.... by tele-casting the game from an Xbone console hooked up to your PC! (because that's all they'll ever let you do)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You still fight Brutes and not Elites in ODST, but yeah, no Flood.

ODST is unique in that it's semi-open-world (you can do the missions out of order and there's a large free-roam hub) and ditches the super-epic galaxy saving storyline to follow one squad of average grunts on a really bad day. It's also the Firefly reunion that TV will never get- Mal, Wash, and Jayne voice the major squad members (and Six from BSG is in there too).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Elliotw2 posted:

I really want ODST on PC. No Flood and ODST are cooler than the lame-rear end Spartans? Hell yeah.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd argue that has more to do with the second half of the game just being the first half of the game but backwards rather than the flood themselves, but :shrug:

I gave up a little past a point where you had to throw yourself into an energy thing, lose your shields, be blinded and have a bunch of Flood swarm at you. I found the Flood to be boring enemies and the levels became long corridors, even outside, compared to the first half's wide open levels where you could do all kinds of different approaches. Hell, I remember once I was in an indoor section and spent like, five minutes leading a bunch of the little Flood thingys around in a circle in a room shooting them with a shotgun.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Fuckers say they're totally going to support PC more every single E3 for the past couple years. This year, with Gears of War, is the first time I think they've actually done anything solid, and then they went a pushed the PC release later than the Xbox release.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that it would. Master Chief Collection's got something of a reputation for being a buggy piece of crap. I mean, most of the issues are multiplayer-related, but that's a pretty big reason as to why Halo was the powerhouse franchise that it was, and they're pretty terrible issues. Just look at this GIF:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that it would. Master Chief Collection's got something of a reputation for being a buggy piece of crap. I mean, most of the issues are multiplayer-related, but that's a pretty big reason as to why Halo was the powerhouse franchise that it was, and they're pretty terrible issues. Just look at this GIF:

Clearly the blue player managed to sneak in a Pentagram of Protection from Quake 1 without anyone else noticing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

343 is poo poo and I have completely stopped caring about the series that I played a ton because of them ruining everything they touch.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

They know that doing so would doom the xbone. Its literally all they have that's exclusive that's worth a poo poo. (I guess Rare Replay? :v:)

I don't think the number of people who have a PC but are considering getting an Xbone just for Halo is that high.

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that it would. Master Chief Collection's got something of a reputation for being a buggy piece of crap. I mean, most of the issues are multiplayer-related, but that's a pretty big reason as to why Halo was the powerhouse franchise that it was, and they're pretty terrible issues.

I just want Halo 1 HD and Halo 3 single players playable on PC. :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd actually love some Halo 2 HD-ness, especially for os x, the mother platform for Halo.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Halo 2 for Vista still works mostly, though the GFWL DRM may or may not make your game run like piss.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Halo 2 for Vista

Hahaha, yeah, gently caress that, I don't miss it that much.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

haveblue posted:

The fact that it's the same levels backwards isn't as much of an issue beyond philosophical objections since they rejigger all the enemy encounters.

Architecture and layout are an integral part of enemy encounters so yes it's still an issue.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Woolie Wool posted:

Architecture and layout are an integral part of enemy encounters so yes it's still an issue.

The whole point of the asset reuse is that they can play on your familiarity with the areas to gently caress your poo poo up in new and exciting ways. It's not as if you're literally playing previous levels backwards -- Two Betrayals is the closest to this but has plenty of detours and such that weren't in Assault. Keyes and Maw play nothing like the levels on which their maps were based and have as much original map content as they do reused. Maybe that's still anathema to some people but I would much prefer an exciting remix of a previous map to a brain-dead "original" level like The Library.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Woolie Wool posted:

I have this complaint for CastleVania: Symphony of the Night too, the inverted castle isn't nearly as fun to traverse as the original castle.

Random note, I've never tried one of those options to play a game in mirrored mode. I wonder if there's any appeal to that. DNF lets you do that, oddly enough.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 13, 2015

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

skasion posted:

The whole point of the asset reuse is that they can play on your familiarity with the areas to gently caress your poo poo up in new and exciting ways. It's not as if you're literally playing previous levels backwards -- Two Betrayals is the closest to this but has plenty of detours and such that weren't in Assault. Keyes and Maw play nothing like the levels on which their maps were based and have as much original map content as they do reused. Maybe that's still anathema to some people but I would much prefer an exciting remix of a previous map to a brain-dead "original" level like The Library.

Yeah. Taste is to some extent inarguable -- you like what you like -- but sometimes it sounds like area-revisiting is objected to more because players feel insulted by it (maybe it feels like the devs aren't putting in enough effort?) than for a specific design reason. Obviously it can be done poorly, but IMO there's nothing intrinsically wrong with popping back through some previously-seen place along a new path with new encounters.

(Heck, for that matter... I enjoy playing the Halo campaigns on legendary difficulty, which means that I even like doing some of the specific encounters over and over again, same environment and same enemy placement and everything.)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kins posted:

It is as easy as going into the scripts folder and adding the line to Marathon_Infinity.mml (or whichever for whatever scenario):

<view><fov normal="##" /></view>

somewhere before </marathon> at the end of the file. The default value is 80.

I'm not sure if it causes a desynch in multiplayer (turning off weapon auto-switch does, for some fuckin' reason, so it might). I personally leave it to the default because I'm used to it and the games are all made for that value so whatever.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FOV seems like an interesting problem in first person perspective games, not only from a technical and design perspective ("what FOV is best for this gameplay and world design?" etc.), but just also from the perspective of ergonomics. Is there an article or anything out there that covers that topic?

I know Wolfenstein and Doom have 90-degree fields of view because Carmack just went with a square and decided that was good enough (and, for most, it was). I'm not affected by it, but I know many people who get motion sickness as a result of wonky FOV values such as that used in Source engine games and the aforementioned Marathon. They can tell it's due to the field of view because fiddling with its values makes them not sick. I find it really strange.

Apparently, according to Wikipedia, the FOV of human sight (with two eyes) is just shy of 180 degrees :barf:, though about 114 degrees of that is usable for binocular vision.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I remember when Marathon 2: Durandal hit XBLA, reviews kept complaining about how it made them feel physically ill. I always assumed that it was just the newly-added motion interpolation or the floaty physics Marathon has in general, but now I wonder if the FOV had anything to do with it.

I actually wound up not-buying the port over that. Well, that and Aleph One already existed and Bungie had already made the entire trilogy freeware, but still, it was a factor!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know if it was the FOV, since Halo itself works at like a 65 fov, and many console games run at even lower ones.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shadow Hog posted:

I remember when Marathon 2: Durandal hit XBLA, reviews kept complaining about how it made them feel physically ill. I always assumed that it was just the newly-added motion interpolation or the floaty physics Marathon has in general, but now I wonder if the FOV had anything to do with it.

It was definitely the FOV, an option for a wider FOV was patched in and the complaints stopped.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't know if it was the FOV, since Halo itself works at like a 65 fov, and many console games run at even lower ones.

I'm not sure you can really say that there's some kind relationship between FOV values and motion sickness in that way. People that find 80 degrees nauseating might do just fine on 65 and going to 55 might cause sickness again.

The Xbox versions of Doom turns my girlfriend's stomach, but for some reason playing on a source port doesn't affect her so maybe aspect ratio (I play GZDoom at 16:9) and framerate factor into it as well.

Wasn't the FOV one of the reasons why motion sickness was a big problem with Mirror's Edge because they tried to mimic natural human eye values or whatever?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Johnny Law posted:

Yeah. Taste is to some extent inarguable -- you like what you like -- but sometimes it sounds like area-revisiting is objected to more because players feel insulted by it (maybe it feels like the devs aren't putting in enough effort?) than for a specific design reason. Obviously it can be done poorly, but IMO there's nothing intrinsically wrong with popping back through some previously-seen place along a new path with new encounters.

(Heck, for that matter... I enjoy playing the Halo campaigns on legendary difficulty, which means that I even like doing some of the specific encounters over and over again, same environment and same enemy placement and everything.)

This is probably it. I don't mind running through the same area a few times but I'm sure there are people who see that and they think: "Didn't I just go through this area!? 0 out of 10 this game lacks content! Lazy rear end devs!"

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm going thorugh HL1 again, and I forogt how drat easy this game is in Medium. Having a decent amount of armor points makes you nearly invincible, your weapons are very powerful, the maps give you way too much ammo compared to the amount of opposition you face, the large amount of health in the maps lets you bounce back from any situation with ease, and Gordon is mobile enough that aliens are a complete joke. The only times I've been in serious danger is because of the environment, like falling down a little bit, eating a sudden explosion or tripwire mine, or being a dumbass with the Tentacles. Even the marines aren't difficult once you learn that rushing them makes them piss-easy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

You still fight Brutes and not Elites in ODST, but yeah, no Flood.

ODST is unique in that it's semi-open-world (you can do the missions out of order and there's a large free-roam hub) and ditches the super-epic galaxy saving storyline to follow one squad of average grunts on a really bad day. It's also the Firefly reunion that TV will never get- Mal, Wash, and Jayne voice the major squad members (and Six from BSG is in there too).

It also had a vastly different theme than the other halo games all around, such as the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWh9l8RSkPk <- seriously everybody click this.
That song is loving beautiful. I mean I love me the main Halo theme too, Marty O'Donnel rules as a composer, but ODST really let him stretch and try new things and it worked.

Their biggest problem was calling it Halo: ODST. What a terrible marketing idea. Only hardcore fan-nerds know what that means.
I'm confident if they'd called it Halo: Noir or Dark Halo or Halo: Nightfall it would have sold 10x as many copies.

catlord posted:

I gave up a little past a point where you had to throw yourself into an energy thing, lose your shields, be blinded and have a bunch of Flood swarm at you. I found the Flood to be boring enemies and the levels became long corridors, even outside, compared to the first half's wide open levels where you could do all kinds of different approaches. Hell, I remember once I was in an indoor section and spent like, five minutes leading a bunch of the little Flood thingys around in a circle in a room shooting them with a shotgun.

That was where you first encounter the flood (343 guilty spark is the level you're talking about), and was designed to give you a safe playground to learn how the flood fight :eng101:

After that as another goon said you start running into flood and elite groups at the same time, and the three-way battles were actually super interesting compared to "everybody vs you" in most FPS games. That's something we don't really see outside of Doom, monster infighting. You can really take advantage of it in Halo, even more than Doom because they don't have to shoot each other first to trigger it.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't think the number of people who have a PC but are considering getting an Xbone just for Halo is that high.

No it definitely isn't, but Microsoft thinks it is.

Listen to MS execs talk, they think Halo 4 was the best Halo game yet and the series is super popular and a crazy strong brand.

Instead of the reality being that its been tanking HARD ever since Reach.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

Halo 2 for Vista still works mostly, though the GFWL DRM may or may not make your game run like piss.

The original Halo 2 looks like garbage now. It came from that period of bump-mapping before normal-mapping that gave us the plastic zombies of Doom 3.

The Halo 2 remaster looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.