Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Onean posted:

Pretty sure the second spirit thing for Max is still fan speculation. At least, I'm not aware of anything that's changed that.

Well by all indications Scrapdragon can't speak coherent English...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Johnny is the character with the power of friendship, he has always been the good guy

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, it's totally ridiculous for them to do so, but they still will.

Consider that the people "in the know" are Isaac, Spender, Isabel, Ed, and Dimitri. They are all the kind of person who will hassle the newbie for not stupidly self-sacrificing for someone he hates.

Dimitri seems pretty on board with not making stupid sacrifices for people you don't respect.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Keeshhound posted:

Dimitri seems pretty on board with not making stupid sacrifices for people you don't respect.

True, but he will give Max a hard time because it's funny.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rand Brittain posted:

True, but he will give Max a hard time because it's funny.

Nah, he just likes to disappoint authority.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rand Brittain posted:

Consider that the people "in the know" are ... Dimitri.

i don't think this was confirmed yet ?? most likely true though

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Legit would be cool if the obnoxious bully character was the one with the power of friendship or heart because drat look at how he goes to bat for his pals

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Legit would be cool if the obnoxious bully character was the one with the power of friendship or heart because drat look at how he goes to bat for his pals

Reminds me of the first season of Heroes where the one of the top bad guys' power was healing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As if Johnny Jhonny wasn't already the best character with the healthiest relationship with his buddies.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Seriously though, I do like how Max is a practical and pragmatic foil to stereotypical protagonists you see in the sort of anime that Paranatural riffs off of and makes him an interesting and relatable protagonist. But this also means that Zack can go ahead and take those tired and trite ideals re: the power of friendship and instead give them to the comedy relief bully character. That little shift in context makes the strength and sincerity of Johnny's friendship come off as endearing and admirable rather than a milquetoast "moral of the story" to be taken for granted.

Meanwhile Spender's an angstier flavor of protagonist who never grew up and everyone around him suffers for it.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Calaveron posted:

If? Are you doubting the potency of the Friendship Fusion?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

oddium posted:

i don't think this was confirmed yet ?? most likely true though

WELL

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Come on Forge step up and do something.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wait, what the hell just happened with Dmitri's hand there?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

He's a spectral.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Did Forge just change color?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kikas posted:

Did Forge just change color?

He was flaring up too do something but when Dmitri deflected the ball he cooled down and went back to being lame and doing nothing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He's a spectral.

Well, yeah, but he was asking specifically what the hand was doing. I can't tell but it looks like vibration or spinning or something along those lines.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You're all really bad at actually linking the page: http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-56/

I'm confused by the two impacts. (SMAK! and PWING!) though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Brannock posted:

Well, yeah, but he was asking specifically what the hand was doing. I can't tell but it looks like vibration or spinning or something along those lines.

Looked like it turned into a catcher's mitt

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Looked like it turned into a catcher's mitt

I dunno, the SFX made it appear to be spinning.

Dmitri is a medium for a drill spirit?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Took me way too long to realize Dmitri wanted somebody to catch the ball because it would get Jeff out of the game.
And also that the other of the "two birds" was probably injuring Forge. (Possibly aligning the puppeteer with the pixel dogs, opposite Doorman and the ninja bunnies?)

Now I'm staring at this page and wondering whose shoes these are,

:spergin:
Max in the red chucks, Isabel in the primary colors with the umbrella, those have been consistent the whole chapter, Ed presumably changed out of his gym clothes and is one of the two in the back with the paintbrush, we've seen him in both sandals and striped sneakers before, but the fourth person? Spender's on the opposite side of the room and generally wears teacherly brown or black, and from what we can see of Isaac's, there's no sandals nor vertical stripe. I'm probably just reading too much into it, and it's Isaac, because who else would be running around with the activity club on a walkie-talkie with Spender, and Isaac's worn similar shoes before, but it's weird, because Max and Isabel's have been really consistent, and this panel is the first thing we see this chapter.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Podima posted:

You're all really bad at actually linking the page: http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-56/

I'm confused by the two impacts. (SMAK! and PWING!) though.

There's a transparent superdeformed Dimitri jumping forward behind him while he's falling back. Most of the head is blocked, but you can see it's wearing the same shorts. It looks like the ball SMAKed through Spiritmitri's spirit hand and then PWINGed off Real Dimitri's actual hand.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Cubone posted:

Took me way too long to realize Dmitri wanted somebody to catch the ball because it would get Jeff out of the game.
And also that the other of the "two birds" was probably injuring Forge. (Possibly aligning the puppeteer with the pixel dogs, opposite Doorman and the ninja bunnies?)

Dimitri touched the ball without catching it, Jeff is still in the game and Dimitri's out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kabanaw posted:

Dimitri touched the ball without catching it, Jeff is still in the game and Dimitri's out.

Does a hand-bounce count as a catch-and-throw? I'm not familiar with hitball.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

MikeJF posted:

Does a hand-bounce count as a catch-and-throw? I'm not familiar with hitball.

it was clearly a deflection and bylaw 2.1.1 subsection C clearly states that it does not count as a throw

I mean Dimitri wanted it to be caught because it would get Jeff out since it was still considered to be thrown by him

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I read the alt text as "this is exactly what real middleschool dragonball is like" and it still worked.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One of these days, people will remember to link the new page.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

:argh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:negative:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm not seeing the problem with having more links to the new page.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Wonderslug posted:

There's a transparent superdeformed Dimitri jumping forward behind him while he's falling back. Most of the head is blocked, but you can see it's wearing the same shorts. It looks like the ball SMAKed through Spiritmitri's spirit hand and then PWINGed off Real Dimitri's actual hand.

The transparent Dmitri is just showing Dmitri as the ball hit him, then the curved Dmitri is him as the ball is launched. He's hooked like that because the ball hit hard enough to force him backwards in a cartoons fashion.

I think that one panel wasn't as well composed as it could be, considering I'm not even sure my interpretation of what is going on there is correct, and not in a 'how mysterious' way, but just in a 'this is too visually busy' way.

Tiny Suzie is sti on the ball with photographic evidence, though.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I mean Dimitry clearly has created a Spectral-shaped something with his arm that changed the direction of the ball. It's kinda like a scoop.

...does that still actually count as a hit? If he got hit in his spectral projection, his body wasn't really touched :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If it was just a spectral projection it wouldn't have affected the ball. This is a spirit ability. Either he has a tool or he's a medium.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kikas posted:

I mean Dimitry clearly has created a Spectral-shaped something with his arm that changed the direction of the ball. It's kinda like a scoop.

Maybe a xistera? But it doesn't look spectral, it looks more like his hand is transforming. And a spectral thing wouldn't be useful against a non-spectral ball.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

I'm just going to ignore all evidence and call him the rubber band man. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7scdHgc4Jw

Now excuse me while I go listen to The Spinners for the next hour.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

maybe suzy's picture will clear it up

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Look, Issac has Weather Report, Ed has Star Platinum and now Dimitri has Tusk, it's all very simple.

He also has... Brown/orange spectral energy I think?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Prison Warden posted:

He also has... Brown/orange spectral energy I think?
Racist.

I'm worried about his hand, it's deliberately hidden in all the following panels :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Kabanaw posted:

Yes.

?