Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The Human Crouton posted:

Partner purposely left meat out overnight whenever I was not physically there to stop him in order to prove to me that it wouldn't hurt anybody, and that I was too concerned about health codes. I shut it down shortly into his experement.

The business was sustainable. It was in the black the entire time it was open.

Your business was owned by someone who was intentionally going out of his way to give customers food poisoning, but paying the workers more would've been the death blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

If a CEO has that option then I mostly agree. The only issues I have is that that CEO shouldn't have to if their employees are already well compensated, and how hard it would be to write laws that actually decide if they should or not.

I mean, most of us can tell when someone is loving people over, but it's really hard to put that into words that bind to everyone.

It's not hard to bind everyone and its not hard to put it into words. You literally have to scratch out the number 7.25 and fill in 15.00 on one law. A higher minimum wage brings money into the pockets of your customers to allow them the luxury of eating out. If you have to raise prices 10% it won't matter to people who now have literally 100% more income.

Here is a study that addresses how much you would need to raise restaurant prices to support a 15 dollar minimum wage. They found that 4.3% would be sufficient which is compared to a 100% wage increase. This is specifically for restaurants employing fewer than 25 people.
https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rel....3-percent.html

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Wheeee posted:

SA still has Libertarians?

I thought they bought some land out in west Texas and got eaten by wild hogs or something

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

XK posted:

Your business was owned by someone who was intentionally going out of his way to give customers food poisoning, but paying the workers more would've been the death blow.

Financials and owners trying to poison people are two different things. Even with the potential murderer owning half the business, it was in the black. I'm assuming the business would have been even more sustainable had my partner not gone isnane, but I shut the business down so soon into his killing phase that I don't have the actual number on that.

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Guys guys let's just pay all workers in FOOD, then they can eat the food instead of having to buy it and that'll solve the problem because

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AssassinPrincess posted:

Guys guys let's just pay all workers in FOOD, then they can eat the food instead of having to buy it and that'll solve the problem because

Trump steaks for everyone!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I heard an interesting thing in an economics audio course I am taking: the minimum wage was originally instituted to protect whites from having their jobs taken by poor blacks.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tricky D posted:

lol, where can I get a 55 cent hamburger?

Vote for me and I promise lower wages for my trickle down burger plan. I have proved with my economics!

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

AssassinPrincess posted:

we could pay the workers in valuable coupons

and/or not being killed by pinkertons

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Two people working full time at $10/hr make $40,000 a year combined thats already enough to finance a $200,000 house, eat plenty, have a 401k, have health care.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Oceanlife posted:

Two people working full time at $10/hr make $40,000 a year combined thats already enough to finance a $200,000 house, eat plenty, have a 401k, have health care.

you're funny

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mad Wack posted:

I heard an interesting thing in an economics audio course I am taking: the minimum wage was originally instituted to protect whites from having their jobs taken by poor blacks.

Is this course by: The Teaching Company?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Is this course by: The Teaching Company?

Yeah, I got it off of audible but it's by them

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Oceanlife posted:

fuckin' lol

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

he never stipulated which country he was referring to

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Oceanlife posted:

How do they decide which one of them gets to retire?

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Tenzarin posted:

$15 dollar minimum wage is going loving rock for a year for poor people running a career flipping burgers but its going to gently caress the entire economy. Every things price will double and $15 dollars will end up being nothing and we will have to raise it to $30 bucks.

So your economy is now twice than it was before. Your citizens might have the same things but they have more wealth, twice than before, compared to other country's citizens. You do realize that paying people less means there's less money for them to actually spend? And if the people has less money, they can't buy poo poo and mostly just produce cheap stuff for other people in other nations that actually has more money. Because they got paid more. It's almost this economy thing is a loop that involves more factors than just you giving some dude 10 dollars per hour. "I paid my workers so little they can't afford to buy anything MY STORE IS FAILING NO ONE IS BUYING HALP"

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mad Wack posted:

Yeah, I got it off of audible but it's by them

I guessed because your sentence reminded me of something from the course. I think it's a good introductory course. It made a lot if sense when I listened to it, but I've had to build off of it with my own personal experiences.

Overall, I believe that nobody has any idea how economics really works because it is not a science. I believe that the teacher also states later that a less educated Mexican using a 20 year old machine cannot possibly hurt our economy.

I don't want to ramble, but I will suggest listening to the whole thing and basing your opinion over the next several years. It is a good base to open your mind though, and you chose a good course to start somewhere.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What Game of Thrones patriach would the Donald be?

I'm thinking Tywin Lannister, and his slogan would be "Loser morghulis."

quote:

"Joffrey, he was bleeding from his eyes, he was bleeding...from wherever."

quote:

Margaery Baratheon's unattractive, both inside and out. I understand why her former husband left her for a man – he made a good decision.

Bonus quip:

Mike H'garbee posted:

The Night Watch is not a social experiment. The purpose of the Watch is kill people and break things.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Partner purposely left meat out overnight whenever I was not physically there to stop him in order to prove to me that it wouldn't hurt anybody, and that I was too concerned about health codes. I shut it down shortly into his experement.

The business was sustainable. It was in the black the entire time it was open.

Was this business a hotdog shack in Alabama?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ivor Biggun posted:

Was this business a hotdog shack in Alabama?

I did sell dogs, but as dumb as I was, I did not sell them in Reform, Alabama.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oceanlife posted:

name a $10/hr job that has 40 hour weeks post-aca

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

theflyingexecutive posted:

My burger shop, but fair warning you may be paid nothing at one point.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Oceanlife posted:

Thank you RSF, thank you so much for acting as a light to draw idiot lolbertarians out from GBS and into view for our amusement.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wheeee posted:

Thank you RSF, thank you so much for acting as a light to draw idiot lolbertarians out from GBS and into view for our amusement.

For us to get butthurt over***

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

My burger shop, but fair warning you may be paid nothing at one point.

That's a very honest answer.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I owned a small business with 7-10 part time employees. Paying them $15 an hour would have been financially impossible. Even if very small businesses we're exempt, each employee of that small business would leave as soon as they could find a $15 job at Arby's. Any company that is not already established would not be able to survive with either those wages or that frequent turn-over.

Obviously ever small business in the country was destroyed the minute the minimum rage was raised. Oh wait that didn't loving happen. The additional cost you would have for paying your employee's more would be offset but them not having to deal with as much poo poo and people being able to spend more money at your place of business.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Venom Snake posted:

Obviously ever small business in the country was destroyed the minute the minimum rage was raised. Oh wait that didn't loving happen. The additional cost you would have for paying your employee's more would be offset but them not having to deal with as much poo poo and people being able to spend more money at your place of business.

I offered free knowledge that cost me $60,000 to learn. Had it been better recepted, I would have given more specifics, and you could have gained from me.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Can we just talk about my pop culture hypotheticals??

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
You losers talking about anything that isn't Trump are fired.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Spiderjelly posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srkZJH11kNY

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

I offered free knowledge that cost me $60,000 to learn. Had it been better recepted, I would have given more specifics, and you could have gained from me.

Best Poe I've seen in a while. 9/10

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Spiderjelly posted:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Oceanlife posted:

Ahahahaha here is someone who knows dick-all about buying a house.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Detroit has some cheap houses, you could buy one on minimum wage now, what are people complaining about? All these poor people should just move to detroit. The trickle down system has provided for these people but they just wont accept it because they are racist.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

theflyingexecutive posted:

Rural factory jobs.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

I owned a small business with 7-10 part time employees. Paying them $15 an hour would have been financially impossible. Even if very small businesses we're exempt, each employee of that small business would leave as soon as they could find a $15 job at Arby's. Any company that is not already established would not be able to survive with either those wages or that frequent turn-over.

Why is working at your business worse than working fast food?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ghostwritingduck posted:

Maybe he isn't good at economics as the rest of us. And hes just a greedy central banker wannabe.

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

ghostwritingduck posted:

You make ONE little rule about every employee having to eat an expired hot dog at the end of their shift and suddenly everyone wants to work at dumb ole Arby's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickelback Concert
Apr 28, 2015

I guess that $60k knowledge didn't teach you that "recepted" isn't a word.

• Locked thread