Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Curvature of Earth posted:

Death of the Author is horseshit anyways. Stories are a conversation between the author and the audience. Before modern copyright, the audience's voice often had equal weight. Hence the entirety of the Midrash, a collection of stories all commenting on, expanding on, or reacting to the many stories making up the Torah as well as other stories within the Midrash. Collectively, it forms a vast conversation spanning centuries, where audience and author blend into each other.

"Death of the author" takes as a given the modern artificial divide between audience and author, and and erroneously concludes that the author doesn't matter. It ignores the fact that thanks to modern copyright, the audience is no longer the author's equal. The author is now the loudest voice, and sometimes the only voice, in the conversation, and they have unmatched power to shape the conversation revolving around their stories. Citing death of the author does jack poo poo to change the imbalance in this conversation, and merely pretends there is no problem.
I don't think you know what "death of the author" means. To put it simply, the idea is that the meaning the audience takes from a work may not be the meaning the author intended and that doesn't make it invalid, ie. it's OK to base your analysis on what the author actually wrote rather than what they intended to communicate. Copyright has nothing to do with it, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Tiggum posted:

I don't think you know what "death of the author" means. To put it simply, the idea is that the meaning the audience takes from a work may not be the meaning the author intended and that doesn't make it invalid, ie. it's OK to base your analysis on what the author actually wrote rather than what they intended to communicate. Copyright has nothing to do with it, at all.

People who don't have philosophy or English degrees generally interpret "death of the author" to mean that the text means whatever you can contort it into meaning. This is what most people who've heard of death of the author take it to mean. There is no point in quibbling over the academic definition of the term when that's not how the wider populace understands it. Like most of postmodernism, it's been extremely poorly communicated to non-academics and has consequently been taken to mean that words have no meaning beyond what you personally want them to mean.

This is how Robotnik Nudes understands death of the author. Hence this charming post:

Robotnik Nudes posted:

If it's not in the text.

Death of the author u fukr

Aragorn was a descendent of the first men, aka Africans.

I highly doubt Robotnik Nudes is familiar with the academic definition of death of the author, or is aware it was formalized in an essay by Roland Barthes in the 60s. As far as they're concerned, death of the author makes legitimate even interpretations so distant from the original text that they're on loving Jupiter. (Note that using Robotnik Nudes' logic, I can assert that queercoding isn't real and that every effeminate male villain Hollywood has ever presented is not, in fact, intended to invoke homophobia. This is obviously ludicrous, but as Nudes understands it, if I slap "death of the author" on such bullshit then it's legit.) I was criticizing the death of the author concept as it's understood by the general public. In that context, my original claim stands: death of the author is not a helpful concept for discussing works with a broad audience.

To expand on my original point (which I should've done in the first place), there's a contradiction between how the public understands death of the author to mean anything goes, and an author using their immense power of celebrity to singlehandedly alter discussion of a major character for all time. People believe in the author's word and in their death at the same time. This only makes sense if people stop pretending to believe in the fancy-pants intellectualism surrounding death of the author, and instead adopt a more straightforward appraisal, treating all interpretations of a work as part of an ongoing, organic conversation (albeit a conversation where the author can drown out most of the other voices in the room if they talk loudly enough, but as I complained about earlier, that's the function of copyright).

I will admit that the strict definition of death of the author is probably a very useful concept inside the tiny wheelhouse of formal literary criticism, but it's about as useless as a sack of disembodied hairy balls in any discussion with a layperson.

And now for some on-topic content:

Oh, ClarkHat. :allears: Never stop being a shitburger; it's all you're good at.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Well that seems like a telling insight into that fellow's psychology. :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I highly doubt Robotnik Nudes is familiar with the academic definition of death of the author

I highly doubt that Robotnik Nudes was being entirely serious, given

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I'm clowning around

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I eman I am clowning to a degree

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

every effeminate male villain Hollywood has ever presented is not, in fact, intended to invoke homophobia
Not to super derail or whatever, but I think you're the first person I hear propose gay villains are actually intended to invoke homophobia.
Which I consider very hard to believe, especially considering that even accepting the concept of homophobia basically means you're at least halfway with the progressive team.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fav. quote from the comment section of the latests STC:

quote:

Scott’s writing about how NRXers are wrong? He’s the entire reason I started taking them seriously in the first place.

There's also a genuine attempt to show how Life of Brian was immoral filth.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also, this fantastic object-level defense of meta-level activity, or a meta-level defense of object-level activity, I'm not absolutely clear on that one:

quote:

To be fair – and I think this is rather CatCube’s point – there is a real and obvious difference between hunting for witches and hunting for heretics.

Heretics are real, and they can do real damage. They might not, and restricting heretics too much can lock you into a false ideology. But they can.
You see, witchhunting is okay if the witches are real. And in our case, they are.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Cingulate posted:

Not to super derail or whatever, but I think you're the first person I hear propose gay villains are actually intended to invoke homophobia.
Which I consider very hard to believe, especially considering that even accepting the concept of homophobia basically means you're at least halfway with the progressive team.

I paid :10bux: so I could make trainwreck posts like that.

I was briefly terrified that "Evola" was a portmanteau of evolution and ebola intended as a metaphor for some human biodiversity bullshit, but it turns out Julius Evola is a dead Italian reactionary whom Anissimov really likes. (I'm also pretty "meh" about his favorite Evola quote. It's probably great if you're already a neoreactionary and were just looking for that missing something to bring it all together, but as a non-neoreactionary it's feels pretty unremarkable.)

And in case you were taking Anissimov seriously, he had a stupendous meltdown after a woman he was hitting on over Twitter turned him down. The best/worst part of that link?

weev posted:

To those proponents of the dying neoreactionary movement that want to reshape society to make it more friendly to high-IQ individuals, and those that have abandoned neoreaction because of those like Anissimov, I want to assure you that you have a home in white nationalism. We have the courage and brutality that neoreaction lacks. We have the kinds of resources you would never have in NRx, because whites of all aptitudes and attitudes are welcome. We have jackboots on the ground who are capable of taking care of any man-children who decide to try to represent the movement.
It's written by a white nationalist who resents neoreactionary poseurs. This is political infighting at its finest.

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Aug 13, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It should really be impossible to look at absolutely anything related to the concept of IQ and conclude that this society is anything but IQ-friendly. In fact, amongst the best critiques of the concept of IQ as a measure of general intelligence is the proposal that it is basically how well one is able to deal with the specific problems this society poses. And of course, IQ is positively correlated with just about everything good.

But yeah, women won't suck yours just because you're a Mensa member so I guess a violent revolution must happen.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

divabot posted:

Then I later found out he'd done ... two semesters at Berkeley before dropping out. Every word he writes about academia from the inside is sourced entirely from his colon. I shoulda gest.

Correction: undergraduate degree from Brown, was kicked out of Berkeley postgrad.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

People who don't have philosophy or English degrees generally interpret "death of the author" to mean that the text means whatever you can contort it into meaning. This is what most people who've heard of death of the author take it to mean. There is no point in quibbling over the academic definition of the term when that's not how the wider populace understands it. Like most of postmodernism, it's been extremely poorly communicated to non-academics and has consequently been taken to mean that words have no meaning beyond what you personally want them to mean.

Death of the author is a good thing because it can essentially rob authoritative figures of their supposed power, and for the reader to call out ugly language or ideologies for what they are trying to hide or obscure.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Possibly. In terms of awful things on the internet that people find and exacerbate in order to create something worse to point and laugh at (the goon-o-sphere, if you will), I've primarily seen it used to defend dog dick fanfiction, et al, etc.

Ronwayne has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Aug 12, 2015

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
The dog dick fanfic does not ruin good forms of the concept, just like a few terrible pages on tumblr does not rule the whole site as a worthless element that old people hate on.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I was briefly terrified that "Evola" was a portmanteau of evolution and ebola intended as a metaphor for some human biodiversity bullshit, but it turns out Julius Evola is a dead Italian neoreactionary whom Anissimov really likes. (I'm also pretty "meh" about his favorite Evola quote. It's probably great if you're already a neoreactionary and were just looking for that missing something to bring it all together, but as a non-neoreactionary it's feels pretty unremarkable.)

And in case you were taking Anissimov seriously, he had a stupendous meltdown after a woman he was hitting on over Twitter turned him down. The best/worst part of that link?

It's written by a white nationalist who resents neoreactionary poseurs. This is political infighting at its finest.

Weev and Anissimov are competing to be The Worst, I see.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I was briefly terrified that "Evola" was a portmanteau of evolution and ebola intended as a metaphor for some human biodiversity bullshit, but it turns out Julius Evola is a dead Italian neoreactionary whom Anissimov really likes. (I'm also pretty "meh" about his favorite Evola quote. It's probably great if you're already a neoreactionary and were just looking for that missing something to bring it all together, but as a non-neoreactionary it's feels pretty unremarkable.)

Wasn't Evola the fascist who was so fash even Mussolini followers thought he was overdoing it?

E: he also looks like a 1930s movie vampire.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Posted this to the HPMOR thread, the Egan quotes still warm my heart. LW was terribly upset and confused when they saw this.

pentyne posted:

I just learned that Greg Egan, pretty much the perfect example of a MIRI messiah, actually hates everything that Lesswrong stands for. It's pretty great when the hardest, most detailed sci-fi writer who postulates great questions about the nature of consciousness vs. technology thinks Yud's entire philosophy is a huge joke and nothing more then a forum for wealthy "smart" people to fellate each other over how great they are.

Greg Egan in 'Zendengi' posted:

“I’m Nate Caplan.” He offered her his hand, and she shook it. In response to her sustained look of puzzlement he added, “My IQ is one hundred and sixty. I’m in perfect physical and mental health. And I can pay you half a million dollars right now, any way you want it.

... when you’ve got the bugs ironed out, I want to be the first. When you start recording full synaptic details and scanning whole brains in high resolution—”

“You can always reach me through my blog,” he panted. “Overpowering Falsehood dot com, the number one site for rational thinking about the future—”

The novel also features the “Benign Superintelligence Bootstrap Project”:

“Their aim is to build an artificial intelligence capable of such exquisite powers of self-analysis that it will design and construct its own successor, which will be armed with superior versions of all the skills the original possessed. The successor will produce a still more proficient third version, and so on, leading to a cascade of exponentially increasing abilities. Once this process is set in motion, within weeks—perhaps within hours—a being of truly God-like powers will emerge.”

In the words of one reviewer, "The Project persuades a billionaire to donate his fortune to them in the hope that the “being of truly God-like powers” will grant him immortality come the Singularity. He dies disappointed and the Project “turn[s] five billion dollars into nothing but padded salaries and empty verbiage”."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man that was great when it happened, because a bunch of singularitarians were very confused about how to feel, because you can't call someone like Greg Egan a Luddite.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Is he trying to talk like he's from 2000AD comics.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

As they say in the trade: this, but unironically.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Is he trying to talk like he's from 2000AD comics.

"Progs" makes me imagine a Bernie Sanders rally with a laser light show, Sanders in a silver cape, and Elizabeth Warren behind a rack of Minimoogs.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
I present to you the find of the century: Mencius Moldbug, (aka Curtis Yarvin) at open mike night on a local public TV station, 1997. Sit back and enjoy the college poetry from a future neoreactionary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aa2UJX_EpQ

If he did this today it'd be ten minutes long.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woolie Wool posted:

"Progs" makes me imagine a Bernie Sanders rally with a laser light show, Sanders in a silver cape, and Elizabeth Warren behind a rack of Minimoogs.

It's a term that means "everyone left of Ted Cruz"

Despite this being a ridiculously large group, reactos like to pretend it's a group sharing a central ideology and belief system.

This also means they can act like tumblr teens making fun of Richard Dawkins is proof that the vicious progs will often attack their own.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I present to you the find of the century: Mencius Moldbug, (aka Curtis Yarvin) at open mike night on a local public TV station, 1997. Sit back and enjoy the college poetry from a future neoreactionary.

He was smiling. This was obviously before his dorklightenment.

For more of the young writes-like-a-human Yarvin, here's Geek Page - Scripting Languages from the actual paper printed Wired in 1995. They also tapped him for his technology prognostication skills earlier that year. This suggests someone there knew him.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

divabot posted:

He was smiling. This was obviously before his dorklightenment.

For more of the young writes-like-a-human Yarvin, here's Geek Page - Scripting Languages from the actual paper printed Wired in 1995. They also tapped him for his technology prognostication skills earlier that year. This suggests someone there knew him.

I know it's cheap to mock predictions (since practically nobody gets them right), but:

THE FUTURE of software as predicted in 1995 posted:

Yarvin finds it hard to believe that computer owners will willingly pay extra for hardware that restricts their ability to copy software.

Adobe announced the "Creative Cloud" in 2011 and in 2014 shifted entirely to software as a service. Though admittedly this doesn't mean much. Like a lot of programmers, Moldbug got stuck on the assumption that non-programmers have the same goals and ideals as programmers, only for it to turn out that consumers buy a program so they can do a thing, preferably with minimal fuss.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Somebody called me a cuck today in the comments for my YouTube video. Before this moment I hadn't accepted that there are really people who do this.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

I wouldn't call Evola a "neo-reactionary." He was a contemporary of Mussolini. In fact il Duce liked his works a great deal and wanted to sponsor him and draw him into the party, but Evola was a little nutty even for the fascists.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
https://twitter.com/mylittlepwnies3/status/631563507239096320

Above thread is so much a condensation of alt-right thinking. These people don't care that they're wrong or horrible, or why people don't support them. But, if you don't support them, then you're unreasonable.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

Above thread is so much a condensation of alt-right thinking. These people don't care that they're wrong or horrible, or why people don't support them. But, if you don't support them, then you're unreasonable.

Any kind of criticism=stalinist purging

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Mineaiki posted:

I wouldn't call Evola a "neo-reactionary." He was a contemporary of Mussolini. In fact il Duce liked his works a great deal and wanted to sponsor him and draw him into the party, but Evola was a little nutty even for the fascists.

Sorry, that was a typo. Evola way predates the "neo" bit.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Any kind of criticism=stalinist purging

However, they will be happy to purge you if you disrupt their proposed feudal utopia, much like their holy father Hans-Hermann Hoppe.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woolie Wool posted:

However, they will be happy to purge you if you disrupt their proposed feudal utopia, much like their holy father Hans-Hermann Hoppe.

When we criticize or agree with each other, it's Rational Minds Seeking Best Solutions, but when you do it, it's the frightening alien convulsions of a hive mind.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Woolie Wool posted:

It never ceases to amuse me that libertarian Friedrich Hayek condemned centralized government as the "Road to Serfdom" while libertarian Hans-Hermann Hoppe loves the very government that relied on serfdom to function.

fake edit:

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! (Lol at Hayek being a "moderate social democrat". Poor guy codifies the anti-government Austrian Business Cycle theory and then gets pissed on by later an-caps for not being heartless enough.)

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Merdifex posted:

The writer in question has also had defended Moldbug, and has portrayed NRx in exactly the way they want:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/06/curtis_yarvin_booted_from_strange_loop_it_s_a_big_big_problem.html

And like every other racist idiot, he also refers to the event where E.O. Wilson had water poured on his head during a conference about sociobiology (read: scientific racism) but what he doesn't mention (and no other racist right-wing ideologue e.g. Ron Unz mentions) is that the students who did that were black, and afterwards E.O. Wilson quipped that he felt as though he had been "speared by an aborigine."

Being the moron that he is, he doesn't know that the hereditist world view is utterly bullshit.

Merdifex has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Aug 13, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

When we criticize or agree with each other, it's Rational Minds Seeking Best Solutions, but when you do it, it's the frightening alien convulsions of a hive mind.

Values are just irrational ideological blinders that we should rise above.

except our values, which are objectively true because Bayes this and Bayes that

It never ceases to amuse me that libertarian Friedrich Hayek condemned centralized government as the "Road to Serfdom" while libertarian Hans-Hermann Hoppe loves the very government that relied on serfdom to function.

fake edit:

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! (Lol at Hayek being a "moderate social democrat". Poor guy codifies the anti-government Austrian Business Cycle theory and then gets pissed on by later an-caps for not being heartless enough.)

The idea is that their government isn't really government because it's based on the personal authority of King Headchopper II, who has personal authority over Duke Peasant-Crusher, who has personal authority over Baron Humongous, who has personal authority over you, and this hierarchy runs on personal charisma and brute violence, which makes it superior to evil statist hierarchy based on peaceful bureaucracy because the people at the DMV won't let you cut to the front of the line if you wave your gun around.

E: Also some of the officials at the DMV may be inferior Hamite mud people and tell you what to do and that's just completely unacceptable.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 02:49 on Aug 13, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

fake edit:

Relevant

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

fake edit:

Nobody "no true scotsmans" like libertarians.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Nobody "no true scotsmans" like libertarians.

Are there libertarian Scotsmen? Not Americans who claim Scottish ancestry, actual Scots.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

eschaton posted:

Are there libertarian Scotsmen? Not Americans who claim Scottish ancestry, actual Scots.

They probably exist but considering how far to the left Scotland swings in most elections they are definitely not True Scotsmen :v:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I made this one but it confused people. Hopefully this one will be sufficiently clear. (Both quotes genuine, sourced and verified!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://greyenlightenment.com/autismaspergers-the-new-cool/

quote:

Servility is ‘out’ and candidness is ‘in’, the willingness to confront and espouse biological and economic reality with ‘Spock-like’ logic without worrying about hurting people’s feelings. Right now there is a demand for bloggers on the alt-right to spread the truth, as people are seeking explanations – even if such explanations are not politically correct – for why the economy has changed so much and why so many people seem to be permanently falling behind in an other wise strong economy, as well as possible solutions. The left says the government isn’t doing enough to help the disadvantaged, yet the left has been waging a war on poverty since the 60′s and entitlement spending is at record highs, so maybe biology, not social factors, is the last stone to be upturned, the final taboo. Liberals would prefer we not talk about biology as it pertains to socioeconomic outcomes.