Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I guarantee that almost every RV you see is carrying something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55223-15M-PowerGrip-Adapter/dp/B00192JGA8/
and the larger ones probably also have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55185-PowerGrip-Dogbone-Electrical/dp/B000BUQOGI/

On the plus side in the latter case most RV power distribution systems automatically switch from a 50A mode to a 30A mode when they don't see 240 on the input, but switching to 15/20A mode has been manual on all the ones I've stayed in.

edit: It looks like the one in the quote is basically the boat equivalent of the first one I linked.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jesus that's stupid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

15 to 50.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55168-P...0+amp+to+15+amp

:sherman:

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

You think that is bad we've used a 16A to 125A adapter before at work to hook up a dimmer pack.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So in america you not only have to have two plugs for 120 and 240, but also different plugs for different amps? I feel much happier with my single type of outlets now.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The vast majority of people will never need to know about the other ones. In a normal residence the only nonstandard outlets will have a fridge or washer plugged into them and never be seen again.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I've still to this day never seen a 20A plug in person.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The smilie is quite literal in this case.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

His Divine Shadow posted:

So in america you not only have to have two plugs for 120 and 240, but also different plugs for different amps? I feel much happier with my single type of outlets now.

With the prevailing level of general electrical knowledge, I'm still continually surprised that the United States isn't in a constant state of national emergency, with electrically-sparked firestorms raging through every major city.

Basically, the average electrical consumer shouldn't be trusted with the sharp prongs on the end of the plug, let alone actual line current.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

The most you'll find in an average home now is 2 different outlet types, maybe 3 if that home has an electric range: 120v 15a for everyday stuff, 240v 30a for an electric clothes dryer, and 240v 50a for an electric range.

All this 120v 20a outlet stuff is nearly moot since devices with a 20a plug are extremely rare, especially in the home. That being said, there are some outlets in the home that must be on 20a circuits, just help with using multiple devices at the same time, like kitchen countertops and bathroom sinks. It's up to the installer to if they want to install 20a outlets on those 20a circuits. They usually don't because they cost more, plus it's hard to find 20a tamperproof outlets. There was a 2006 codebook update that required tamperproof outlets nearly everywhere in the home.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kid sinister posted:

They usually don't because they cost more, plus it's hard to find 20a tamperproof outlets. There was a 2006 codebook update that required tamperproof outlets nearly everywhere in the home.

It is not hard to find 20A tamper-resistant outlets:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=42525

http://www.legrand.us/adorne/products/outlets/artr202m4.aspx

These ones are $3:
http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/wiring-devices/outlets/20a-tamper-resistant-outlet/p-1404590.htm

These are $1.50, with free shipping (if you buy 200 or more, lol):
http://www.homelectrical.com/20-amp-tamper-resistant-decorative-duplex-receptacle-white.gp-sere02bstrsgw.1.html

I don't really get the "more expensive" thing, either. They do cost more, but when you're talking about spending like five bucks instead of three, even if you're doing a lot of outlets the increased cost is negligible.

e. Look, they even have them at Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/s/20A%2520tamper%2520resistant%2520outlet?NCNI-5

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
"Well you see, I've already spent $500 and I don't want to spend another $50 in tools or materials to do it the right way" - Homeowners and contractors everywhere generating content for this thread

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

canyoneer posted:

"Well you see, I've already spent $50000 and I don't want to spend another $5 in tools or materials to do it the right way" - Homeowners and contractors everywhere generating content for this thread

Fixed

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I figured out I have a switch on my living room wall which is actually a three-way with a switch in a random wall of the garage which controls an under-eave outlet on the opposite corner of the garage :psyduck:.

The outlet on my kitchen island is controlled by a switch. That switch happens to be the one that turns the basement lights on, as in the switch that is located at the top of the basement stairs. Which are not in the kitchen. Psyduck indeed.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Acid Reflux posted:

The outlet on my kitchen island is controlled by a switch. That switch happens to be the one that turns the basement lights on, as in the switch that is located at the top of the basement stairs. Which are not in the kitchen. Psyduck indeed.

While Shifty Pony's situation is s little weird, you have a straight up amateurish mistake in the way you house is wired.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Acid Reflux posted:

I got something like that too. In my tiny 1 story house, I have an outlet in a bedroom, my fridge's outlet in the kitchen, an outlet in my basement, and my basement lights all on the same circuit. Fortunately the basement light switch only controls the basement stuff.

:fakeedit: I forgot the other outlet in my kitchen that's wired in with an old 2 conductor extension cord. gently caress my house.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

In our new place, we have the work of a perfectly competent but rather overzealous electrician. In an average size 3/4 bathroom, which is all one room with no dividers, there are three wall lamps. They each have their own switch. Oh, and a switch for the fan, too, of course, but it's not working because it's a piece of poo poo. At least it's wired well. The place is actually up to commercial code due to being a ~flex space~ i.e. mixed use office/residential. Just... overdid it on the light switches front.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Leperflesh posted:

It is not hard to find 20A tamper-resistant outlets:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=42525

http://www.legrand.us/adorne/products/outlets/artr202m4.aspx

These ones are $3:
http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/wiring-devices/outlets/20a-tamper-resistant-outlet/p-1404590.htm

These are $1.50, with free shipping (if you buy 200 or more, lol):
http://www.homelectrical.com/20-amp-tamper-resistant-decorative-duplex-receptacle-white.gp-sere02bstrsgw.1.html

I don't really get the "more expensive" thing, either. They do cost more, but when you're talking about spending like five bucks instead of three, even if you're doing a lot of outlets the increased cost is negligible.

e. Look, they even have them at Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/s/20A%2520tamper%2520resistant%2520outlet?NCNI-5

This was a last minute fix while I was visiting my parents home, where they had recarpeted and painted a room, with the outlets being a finishing touch. My mom was at Home Depot and after some back and forth on the phone we ended up with some commercial grade 20A child-resistant plugs for about 6 bucks each :haw:. Pretty good decision to swap out the outlets though, since whomever installed them 25+ years ago before they bought the house back-stabbed every single one in a massive series. Every wire end was discolored from heat. We always used space heaters in that room growing up and blew the breaker and had weird issues. That helps to explain some of that.

Homes always have their little shop of horrors from DIY projects over the years. Can't wait till the next owners 40-50 years down the road find my crazy crap.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Acid Reflux posted:

Nah this makes perfect sense. When they wanted power for the island, they stole it from the closest place, which was apparently the basement light wire that happened to run near underneath the island.

Cmdr Tomalak
Aug 13, 2007

How long shall we stare at each other across the Neutral Zone?
I have one of those weird switches too. There's a switch in the dining room that controls the upstairs bathroom exhaust fan. Which is...nowhere even NEAR the dining room. I can't imagine a situation in which someone in the dining room would need to turn on the upstairs bathroom fan...

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Cmdr Tomalak posted:

I have one of those weird switches too. There's a switch in the dining room that controls the upstairs bathroom exhaust fan. Which is...nowhere even NEAR the dining room. I can't imagine a situation in which someone in the dining room would need to turn on the upstairs bathroom fan...

Taco tuesday.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Literally :lol: over here imagining someone getting the fan started in anticipation, like starting the car to get it warm for a few minutes on a cold day

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

It's way easier to just twist one of the prongs sideways and jam in into the outlet. Works great!

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

mostlygray posted:

It's way easier to just twist one of the prongs sideways and jam in into the outlet. Works great!

And cut off the ground prong if it's a 2 prong recep.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
"There, I fixed it" --a cokehead

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!
That daddy longlegs is just standing there, aghast at the shoddy wiring job it is seeing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Airconswitch posted:

"There, I fixed it" --a cokehead

Looks just like the smoke alarm in the apartment above mine when we went to check out why there was water coming through my ceiling.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

One of the EMS stations I work out of is one large room with two light fixtures and two ceiling fan+fixture combinations. There are two light switches there and each switch controls one fixture and one fan+fixture combo. This means that the only way to run the ceiling fans at night WHILE having the lights off is to unscrew all the lightbulbs in the plain fixtures, and the only way to have the place properly lit during the day is to go around and screw them all back in. This means that we just deal with the fact that the place is dark as gently caress all the time because half the lights are out.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hmm the new bed will block this outlet. I should move this cover to where it will be useful...

Oh.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Khizan posted:

One of the EMS stations I work out of is one large room with two light fixtures and two ceiling fan+fixture combinations. There are two light switches there and each switch controls one fixture and one fan+fixture combo. This means that the only way to run the ceiling fans at night WHILE having the lights off is to unscrew all the lightbulbs in the plain fixtures, and the only way to have the place properly lit during the day is to go around and screw them all back in. This means that we just deal with the fact that the place is dark as gently caress all the time because half the lights are out.

That sounds like an RPG puzzle, and if you hit the right combination of switches the secret door will open

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

I know this isn't the solutions thread, but after I laughed I figured there was an inexpensive solution, just use these in the 'regular' fixtures.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Scol...2229116036.html

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

I audibly whimpered at these pics

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

canyoneer posted:

That sounds like an RPG puzzle, and if you hit the right combination of switches the secret door will open

There's also a mystery switch across the station from the kitchen that controls the kitchen lights, one of the light switches has a duplicate switch(but only one of them) and there's a switch in the bathroom that controls the supply closet light.

I would not be surprised if the right combination led me to a treasure chest.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Khizan posted:

There's also a mystery switch across the station from the kitchen that controls the kitchen lights, one of the light switches has a duplicate switch(but only one of them) and there's a switch in the bathroom that controls the supply closet light.

I would not be surprised if the right combination led me to a treasure chest.

Apparently the electricians were drunk, there's been a lot of renovations, or you are at the Myst VFD.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Shifty Pony posted:

Hmm the new bed will block this outlet. I should move this cover to where it will be useful...

Oh.

This only reinforces "Ignorance is bliss".

I want to go back to the world where I thought that was 6 outlets.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

This only reinforces "Ignorance is bliss".

I want to go back to the world where I thought that was 6 outlets.

Same thing here. I need to get a spare outlet and replace that thing. But that being there clearly means I didn't check that circuit for bootleg grounding which means there is likely more trouble in there too.

Entangled
Feb 24, 2013
I'm trying my best to work through this entire thread during some down time, and it's been entertaining to say the least. However, 59 pages in, I came to this post...

Loopyface posted:

A curious patch request I saw while walking the site and our fir extinguisher stickers got here. I hate subcontractors.

http://i.imgur.com/t5a1JKr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8a7vhSS.jpg

...and couldn't help but wonder if somebody got our orders mixed up?

http://i.imgur.com/OhtjKjC.jpg

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Baronjutter posted:

Heard a great story at a construction site today:

So a guy was coming back to a lovely suburban house in one of those neighbourhoods where buyers pick from a list of plans and then a house-building company buildings them all. He didn't work on it while it was being built, just coming back to fix some other things. The owner complained that the house always has had a horrible fruit fly problem, specially in the living room. He did his stuff, couldn't quite figure out the fruit flies, and then went next door to where they were building a mirror of the same house. There he noticed the workmen (the same crew who built the lady's house) tossing all their apple cores and lovely lunch garbage in this big void space under the fake fireplace mantle. There were already fruit flies all over.

He then went back the next day, told the lady he could solve her fruit fly problem in half an hour she just has to leave for a moment. She left, he pried up her mantle and hauled out two full garbage bags of fast food wrappers and apple cores. Problem solved.

This is why, when you're having your house built or extensive work done, you check on it every single day.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Factor Mystic posted:

This is why, when you're having your house built or extensive work done, you check on it every single day.

I can't remember if it was this thread or another but a bunch of people who worked construction were saying the owner needs to stay away and not "spy" and warn the workmen when they're coming and it was "disrespectful" and "annoying" to be snooping around. It's your own loving property you can hover there all day, specially when so many workers do awful awful work if no on else is around. If I was having a house built I'd be there multiple times a day inspecting the gently caress out of everything. I don't care if the trades like that or not, I don't want a meat-void in my house or corners cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I can't remember if it was this thread or another but a bunch of people who worked construction were saying the owner needs to stay away and not "spy" and warn the workmen when they're coming and it was "disrespectful" and "annoying" to be snooping around. It's your own loving property you can hover there all day, specially when so many workers do awful awful work if no on else is around. If I was having a house built I'd be there multiple times a day inspecting the gently caress out of everything. I don't care if the trades like that or not, I don't want a meat-void in my house or corners cut.

I'd do this, but also bring pizza once a week around lunch time. I don't want them doing things to spite me when I'm not looking.