Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What the gently caress kind of Nazi-designed hell TV doesn't let you turn off interpolation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

bows1 posted:

So I finally have a giant TV and a new apartment where I can view some movies the best way possible (besides in the actual theater). I really want to catch up on some classic movies that are better on the big screen, and grab some bluRays to watch. First on the list is Terrance Malick (I haven't seen any of them). Any other off the cuff recommendations for Gorgeous classics on blu-Ray?

All That Heaven Allows

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Mind saying which one you got?

Sony KDL60W850B 60-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV (2014 Model) - http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL60W850B-60-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00HPMCN74

Although I bought it a month ago and it was $400 cheaper, not sure why it went back up ?

edit - also thanks for all The rec's so far!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bows1 posted:

Sony KDL60W850B 60-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV (2014 Model) - http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL60W850B-60-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00HPMCN74

Although I bought it a month ago and it was $400 cheaper, not sure why it went back up ?

edit - also thanks for all The rec's so far!

Goddamn TV's are so cheap now. Back in the day, and I'm only talking about like '09, the plasma equivalent of that TV would be easily twice that. If you got it for eight something, I am flabbergasted.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Goddamn TV's are so cheap now. Back in the day, and I'm only talking about like '09, the plasma equivalent of that TV would be easily twice that. If you got it for eight something, I am flabbergasted.

Yeah and its pretty super.

So far on my list to get

Badlands
Days of Heaven
The Searchers
All That Heaven Allows
Lawrence of Arabia
Once upon a Time in America
Assorted Hitchcock

(I've only seen Lawrence of Arabia and the Hitchcocks).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I spent less than that on my 120Hz 3dTV about a year ago, although its a little smaller.

But then I also got like a "45 1080p screen off woot for like $200 and other than the fact that it can't do 3D or 120hz (which I only occasionally use) its pretty much just as good for like 10% of the cost.

If you don't need a fancy smart tv that can do 3D, even big screen flatscreen 1080 TVs are STUPID cheap now. They're pushing 120hz 3D because that's the only feature they have to really sell you on now, that and 4K. And there's not enough 4K content to be worth the cost yet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I was recently looking at a 55 inch LED that was like 500 bucks and had to talk myself out of it.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
I watched Lost Soul The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau earlier this week, and while the movie itself was ok the stories were fantastic. These kinds of behind the scenes what the hell went wrong / terribly right documentaries are a lot of fun. I've seen American Movie, Burden of Dreams, and Lost in La Mancha. I've got Heart of Darkness on the docket whenever I get around to Apocalypse Now (which I know is a big blind spot and I plan on rectifying it soon).

Are there any other fun / schadenfreude-tinged documentaries detailing productions gone awry I should add to the list?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

I watched Lost Soul The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau earlier this week, and while the movie itself was ok the stories were fantastic. These kinds of behind the scenes what the hell went wrong / terribly right documentaries are a lot of fun. I've seen American Movie, Burden of Dreams, and Lost in La Mancha. I've got Heart of Darkness on the docket whenever I get around to Apocalypse Now (which I know is a big blind spot and I plan on rectifying it soon).

Are there any other fun / schadenfreude-tinged documentaries detailing productions gone awry I should add to the list?

Full Tilt Boogie

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The Hamster Factor (12 Monkeys)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Best Worst Movie

Jodorowsky's Dune

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse whoops! see you have it on your list.

One I just saw, The Death of "Superman Lives"

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 1, 2015

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Haven't seen it, but My Life Directed By Nicolas Winding Refn is up on Netflix and covers the filming of Only God Forgives

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

I'm madly in love with the Zellner Brothers' Plastic Utopia- a low-budget absurdist comedy.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Azz9raDRY10

Is there another film that comes to mind like this?

Mad Cowgirl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1W5LAvSGXA

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 1, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

In 2007 or thereabouts my parents paid ~$1600 for a 40 inch 1080p TV.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
By the way, do they even make plasma TV's anymore?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

By the way, do they even make plasma TV's anymore?

LG, Panasonic and Samsung all ended production last year, which I think was pretty much it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Overnight.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any samurai movies that focus on battles between armies? Heaven and Earth and Ran are the only ones I can think of where there's armies fighting instead of a duel between two or more dudes.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Laverna posted:

Can I get a recommendation for something to watch with my mum?

She doesn't really like films with graphic sex or violence, so something Rom-Commy or feel-good is more what I'm looking for.

Spanking the Monkey

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Robo Reagan posted:

Are there any samurai movies that focus on battles between armies? Heaven and Earth and Ran are the only ones I can think of where there's armies fighting instead of a duel between two or more dudes.

Does The Last Samurai count? :v:

Awful lot of Tom Cruise but there was a couple of pretty cool battles between modern and traditional samurai armies.

Yeah most of the samurai films I know are sword-and-sandal stuff about one or two guys. (or 7)

Kurosawa's Ran definitely has some big battles. He's probably got some other films with armies in them too.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 10, 2015

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
If I really like Her and Ex Machina, what other movies of the same subject should I watch?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Machine, Beyond The Black Rainbow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

If I really like Her and Ex Machina, what other movies of the same subject should I watch?

Good answers: 2001: A Space Odyssey or Ghost in the Shell or Blade Runner.

Bad obvious answers: AI, Chappie, I, Robot

Comedy option: Short Circuit

Also The Machine (2013) is pretty much literally Ex Machina.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Solaris

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Chappie is better than Ex Machina.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Maybe Dark Star?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Zaphod42 posted:

Bad obvious answers: AI, Chappie, I, Robot

But all of your bad answers are actually good answers. :confused:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Colossus

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

bows1 posted:

Yeah and its pretty super.

So far on my list to get

Badlands
Days of Heaven
The Searchers
All That Heaven Allows
Lawrence of Arabia
Once upon a Time in America
Assorted Hitchcock

(I've only seen Lawrence of Arabia and the Hitchcocks).

When the next Criterion sale rolls around, pick up Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes. Both were made in the 40's but look like they were filmed in the 80's.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

But all of your bad answers are actually good answers. :confused:

There's no accounting for taste :)

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
I was watching Stretch on the US netflix a few weeks back and while it wasn't a great movie, it did make me want to see something that follows a similar theme. I guess I'm trying to find movies that involve the main character finding out about secret/underground/weird locations or organisations in their city; sort of the "seedy underbelly". Bonus points if they have to travel to multiple locations. Is this a thing in noir films, maybe? I'm not sure I've ever seen a noir film.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Eyes Wide Shut

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
Thanks, that seems to be exactly the sort of thing that I'm looking for! Any other recommendations would be welcome, too though!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Only other things I can think of are Blue Velvet and Inherent Vice. Maybe Hana-bi too, actually

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Dopilsya posted:

Thanks, that seems to be exactly the sort of thing that I'm looking for! Any other recommendations would be welcome, too though!

Society and perhaps Hot Fuzz

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dopilsya posted:

I was watching Stretch on the US netflix a few weeks back and while it wasn't a great movie, it did make me want to see something that follows a similar theme. I guess I'm trying to find movies that involve the main character finding out about secret/underground/weird locations or organisations in their city; sort of the "seedy underbelly". Bonus points if they have to travel to multiple locations. Is this a thing in noir films, maybe? I'm not sure I've ever seen a noir film.

Beaten to Society, okay in the same vein (sort of) American Mary (NOTE: Both of these movies are not for the squeamish.)

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Dopilsya posted:

Definitely seconding Eyes Wide Shut and Blue Velvet. I would also think of Rosemary's Baby, Videodrome and Hardcore (1979), maybe Kill List or even Auto Focus. Kill List and Videodrome being towards the cusp of how hosed up a film can get for me in terms of graphic content, because I am not very into that generally.

In terms of noir stuff generally, "seedy underbelly" is pretty fundamental to the genre, but wasn't really possible to depict much actual seediness in the censor-heavy 1940s and 50s, so you're probably looking at neo-noir. Even then you'll kind of have to take the content for what it is, given the Internet has put a lot of distance between what was historically considered shocking and now, but if you're up for good neo-noir stuff that has seedy-underbelly woven right in there (albeit not the sole driving force), I would think LA Confidential, Chinatown, Get Carter (1972).

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Shakepeare.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Dopilsya posted:

Try Holy Motors. This is basically the whole movie, although the weirdness is meant for the viewer, not the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dopilsya posted:

If you're into anime, Speed Grapher is exactly that kind of weird underground occult poo poo.

That's all I know other than eyes wide shut.

• Locked thread