Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Get a good wireless Keyboard / touchpad and a Xbox 360 remote (those go for pennies these days).

This is what I do. It's the easiest way to go from Kodi to Netflix to YouTube to sites like Nostalgia Critic's or Cinnemassacre. And it lets me watch Hulu without Hulu Plus.

It's not ideal, but as I'm the only one using the system, it works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is it really that more complex if you're going for a multi person dealy?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 7, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

EC posted:

100% is definitely subjective as to what you want, but right now I use a combo of HTPC and gaming consoles to do just about everything I could ever want.

HTPC:
- Stream music/video from server
- Everything in a nice library
- Universal remote that can control Kodi and anything else that runs on the HTPC via EventGhost
- Various, non-paid video add-ons that work just fine (Youtube, Trailers, GameTrailers, GiantBomb, etc)
- Emulation when I'm in the mood

PS4:
- Amazon Prime
- Netflix
- HBO Go

It'd be nice if Kodi got official streaming apps from those three so everything would be integrated, but even then I'd still have the PS4 (and others) hooked up so it's not a big deal to me.

About the only thing I'm missing is an elegant way for anyone on our wifi to stream a video to the TV from our phones. I have a Chromecast, but it's kind of a hassle to switch to a whole other input for the random YouTube video. It's something I really wish I could do reliably within Kodi, but even then it doesn't happen that much to be a big deal.

Yatse on Android can push Youtube and other things to Kodi. It shows up in the share menu on the device. People on iOS devices should be able to use it as an airplay target as well.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

G-Prime posted:

Yatse on Android can push Youtube and other things to Kodi. It shows up in the share menu on the device. People on iOS devices should be able to use it as an airplay target as well.

It only does audio for me, playing from the YT app. I've been through the settings a couple of times and searched around on the Kodi forums, but never really found anything to "fix" it, or really even tell me if it's supposed to be able to AirPlay video.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is it really that more complex if you're going for a multi person dealy?

Depends on the person. My friend that uses a keyboard and mouse can use it just fine, my sister can deal with it if she must, and I wouldn't even try teaching it to my parents as they still call me all the time to ask how to use their cable box ("just press the record button to record a show. no, the one with the red circle.").

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

EC posted:

It only does audio for me, playing from the YT app. I've been through the settings a couple of times and searched around on the Kodi forums, but never really found anything to "fix" it, or really even tell me if it's supposed to be able to AirPlay video.

Huh, I actually found the info. Turns out that in iOS 8, Apple enabled video encryption for airplay, which some apps (including youtube) utilize, which makes Kodi unable to play videos with that encryption enabled. The audio stream is considered separate, though, which is what allows that to go through. That's news to me.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

CP is adding emby notifications https://github.com/RuudBurger/CouchPotatoServer/pull/5187

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh Kore app is hot garbage. Why won't the arrow keys in the app seek forward or backward? The adaptive seeking is also trash, maybe if I turn that off then the app will start working as well.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I use a Harmony Ultra with a $10 cyberlink DVD remote and eventghost to control my install. For quicker keyboard entry I also have a Logitech k400 keyboard touch pad that work brilliantly.
You can use YouTube fine in kodi but if im having a YouTube session that I will use my android tablet to send the videos to Kodi.

Like others have said, main issue is the streaming of Netflix and so on. Would be nice if it could be sorted out as it should be in the streaming providers interest. I can use Iplayer in the UK which is great.

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

Has anyone noticed skin performance becoming ultra-sluggish in Isengard after resuming a display from sleep? Not the device (I run Kodi on an Ubuntu host), just the attached TV.

For me it reliably happens, no matter the skin (even Confluence), after the TV comes back from sleep and browsing actions in the menus then take >10 seconds to complete each time. Quitting Kodi and restarting it fixes it. It's not a RAM or swapping problem, as there's plenty to go around.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So finally got around to installing 15.0, and the buffering is way worse than in 14! Instead of buffering all the time, it just valiantly plays whatever it gets as fast as it can, which is slower than real time, and also without audio. And it never really corrects itself, I've had it on in the background and it'll go 10 minutes at slightly reduced frame rate. I have to pause and unpause it a couple of times to get it to finally play normally, or at least buffer.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

FISHMANPET posted:

So finally got around to installing 15.0, and the buffering is way worse than in 14! Instead of buffering all the time, it just valiantly plays whatever it gets as fast as it can, which is slower than real time, and also without audio. And it never really corrects itself, I've had it on in the background and it'll go 10 minutes at slightly reduced frame rate. I have to pause and unpause it a couple of times to get it to finally play normally, or at least buffer.

So, would you say have a network problem?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

FISHMANPET posted:

Why don't you just go and fix your buffering settings in advancedsettings.xml already? Defaults have always been poo poo for wifi and slow internet connections.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

How to modify the video cache. The default settings aren't great for slow wifi networks, old hardware and mobile playback. Just set it to something high so it buffers further ahead, might slowdown initial playback time a bit but should get around stutters. If it persists after that then you've got hardware problems somewhere (network or playback).

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

Jesse Iceberg posted:

Has anyone noticed skin performance becoming ultra-sluggish in Isengard after resuming a display from sleep? Not the device (I run Kodi on an Ubuntu host), just the attached TV.

For me it reliably happens, no matter the skin (even Confluence), after the TV comes back from sleep and browsing actions in the menus then take >10 seconds to complete each time. Quitting Kodi and restarting it fixes it. It's not a RAM or swapping problem, as there's plenty to go around.

For anyone who might have had this problem on a Linux Kodi install, the source of it for me was using the ATI fglrx driver for the GPU. Switching back to the open source Radeon driver fixed it instantly. This broke Steam, but I'll have to live without or switch to an nVidia card.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

What is the state of CableCard with XBMC? Am I constrained to just unencrypted channels?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

What is the state of CableCard with XBMC? Am I constrained to just unencrypted channels?

Far as I know XBMC doesn't handle CableCard or PVR poo poo directly. It talks to various programs like TVHeadend which handle the encrypted channel side of it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

YouTuber posted:

Far as I know XBMC doesn't handle CableCard or PVR poo poo directly. It talks to various programs like TVHeadend which handle the encrypted channel side of it.

Yes, and no backend other than WMC - not sure if that one even works with Kodi any longer - supports unencrypted channels.

WMC is the only PC based cablecard system that supports record-once, etc. channels (i.e. it obeys channel flags/encryption) and it is now officially not even an afterthought for Microsoft, it's been left to wither and die a natural death.

Much like cablecard, in fact. Don't bother. Supposedly Silicon Dust is going to save us all with their kickstarter-funded thing but I wouldn't hold my breath.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Don't have much faith in SD after they went a year without releasing a stable FW because they were too busy farting around trying to get DLNA deployed (which sucks and doesn't work)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is probably a stupid question but I have two collaboration groups in my music library. The way Kodi scrapes from online sources, I can either have one or the other, not both artists listed.

What is the absolute bare minimum I can do to have it listed properly with the ability to add custom thumb/fanart? That's the only thing I care about.

Figured it out. If you replace the & with and - search, click the first result, it will retain the name you searched instead of the name of the original single artists. Weird.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 24, 2015

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Is there a decent guide somewhere for upgrading XBMCbuntu to Kodibuntu?
My particular situation is that I'm also running w/ ZFSonLinux and want to make sure I don't gently caress anything up and lose my ZFS array.
The OS and /usr are located on a separate HDD from the ZFS array, so that should hopefully simplify things.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

Is there a decent guide somewhere for upgrading XBMCbuntu to Kodibuntu?
My particular situation is that I'm also running w/ ZFSonLinux and want to make sure I don't gently caress anything up and lose my ZFS array.
The OS and /usr are located on a separate HDD from the ZFS array, so that should hopefully simplify things.

If you are able to make a backup image of your system drive I would be tempted to try
code:
sudo do-release-upgrade
at the console after making sure all packages are otherwise up to date. Otherwise it might get a little tricky.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

HERAK posted:

If you are able to make a backup image of your system drive I would be tempted to try
code:
sudo do-release-upgrade
at the console after making sure all packages are otherwise up to date. Otherwise it might get a little tricky.

Yea... well I was stupid and tried to update last night. The upgrade seemed to go okay.. except it wanted to use an AMD initrd.img even though I'm running intel...

quote:

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.103ubuntu4.2) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.14.2-amdfixes5+
grep: /boot/config-3.14.2-amdfixes5+: No such file or directory
WARNING: missing /lib/modules/3.14.2-amdfixes5+
Device driver support needs thus be built-in linux image!
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/3.14.2-amdfixes5+: No such file or directory
depmod: FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /tmp/mkinitramfs_YtrxSY/lib/modules/3.14.2-amdfixes5+/modules.order: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /tmp/mkinitramfs_YtrxSY/lib/modules/3.14.2-amdfixes5+/modules.builtin: No such file or directory

I was stupid and rebooted and now its stuck with the following:

quote:

udevadm trigger is not permitted while udev is unconfigured
udevadm settle is not permitted while udev is unconfigured

ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uiid/<my long rear end uuid to my boot drive> does not exist. Dropping to shell

I tried holding down shift during boot to get grub to launch but it never does. So then I tried going into a LIveCD, mounting my boot drive, chroot, and updating the grub settings to add delay to the HIDDEN entry. That doesn't work either.

So now I'm stuck not sure what to do next. I really just need to get it to boot into the old kernel but I can't seem to get grub to load to show me the options so I can pick the old kernel.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 25, 2015

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
That's a kernel with some fixes for AMD applied, not an "AMD kernel". Your problem is that building the init image failed horribly. Didn't Ubuntu always keep around older kernels for you to boot from when something goes wrong?

Edit: press the escape button when GRUB loads to display available boot options

Keito fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 25, 2015

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Keito posted:

That's a kernel with some fixes for AMD applied, not an "AMD kernel". Your problem is that building the init image failed horribly. Didn't Ubuntu always keep around older kernels for you to boot from when something goes wrong?

Edit: press the escape button when GRUB loads to display available boot options

You don't understand. I can't get the GRUB menu to appear, at all. I know that the old kernels are there, I just can't get the drat menu to appear to select them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"You don't understand" is a great way to start off a post to someone trying to help you.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Internet Explorer posted:

"You don't understand" is a great way to start off a post to someone trying to help you.

Oh.. sorry. That is my polite way of saying gently caress off if you can't be bothered to read what I wrote.
I say right there in my post that grub doesn't load/appear at all. Having someone come in and say well just press esc. "when grub loads" does nothing for me except add noise to already extremely noisy and full of misinformation and outdated advice that is out there for linux / ubuntu.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 26, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
So it drops to a shell, according to what you showed us above. Just a single-user mode root shell, or what?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

G-Prime posted:

So it drops to a shell, according to what you showed us above. Just a single-user mode root shell, or what?

It drops me into BusyBox shell which is fairly restrictive. I've put together a livecd boot off a usb stick. From there I can access a more fully featured shell, mount the hard drive the xbmcbuntu os is installed in and chroot to it. After that point I then proceed to try and alter the grub config to add additional delay so I could have time to force the grub menu to appear but that doesn't seem to work at all. I even tried reinstalling grub itself onto the boot drive and that doesn't work (but it will detect, during installing, all of the available kernels).

Basically at this point I think I'm just going to give up, load into livecd, copy what I can of my config files off the computer and just reinstall clean.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

Oh.. sorry. That is my polite way of saying gently caress off if you can't be bothered to read what I wrote.
I say right there in my post that grub doesn't load/appear at all. Having someone come in and say well just press esc. "when grub loads" does nothing for me except add noise to already extremely noisy and full of misinformation and outdated advice that is out there for linux / ubuntu.

gently caress off. Look at how little knowledge you had regarding the AMD issue. He at least gave you relevant info there. So sorry someone misread something in their effort to help you. loving dick.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Well I was finally able to get the grub menu to appear by editing grub.cfg directly -- which it says you aren't supposed to do. I basically changed all of the 'set timeout=0' lines to read 'set timeout=-1' instead. This forces the grub menu to appear and wait for input. From there I was able to boot into the old kernel.

Now I just need to figure out how to unfuck the install.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

Oh.. sorry. That is my polite way of saying gently caress off

I bet you're great at parties

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Question: How would an Intel Atom/Celeron 2830/40 w/2GB of ram compare to a raspberry Pi B+ at running Kodi? I got a cheap chromebook I'm considering hacking. *edit* assume 720p content, my tv is old and I don't plan on getting a 4k tv until a 32 inchers enter $250 black friday special territory. Before I go and hack the chromebook, I'm wondering how many resources I'll have left over to run other services (light file sharing, ssh server, ect?)

politicorific fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 26, 2015

redhalo
May 19, 2009

politicorific posted:

Question: How would an Intel Atom/Celeron 2830/40 w/2GB of ram compare to a raspberry Pi B+ at running Kodi? I got a cheap chromebook I'm considering hacking. *edit* assume 720p content, my tv is old and I don't plan on getting a 4k tv until a 32 inchers enter $250 black friday special territory. Before I go and hack the chromebook, I'm wondering how many resources I'll have left over to run other services (light file sharing, ssh server, ect?)

I don't have input on your actual question, but does a 32 inch 4k even make sense? the ideal viewing distance for that is like 2'. Is this just for a desk monitor or an actual tv?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

click for big

The short story is that for a 32" screen you need to be closer than 4 feet to begin to see more detail than a 1080p screen would provide

That sort of defeats Kodi's philosophy of using a 10-foot user interface

http://kodi.wiki/view/10-foot_user_interface

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Hadlock posted:

click for big

The short story is that for a 32" screen you need to be closer than 4 feet to begin to see more detail than a 1080p screen would provide

That sort of defeats Kodi's philosophy of using a 10-foot user interface

http://kodi.wiki/view/10-foot_user_interface
well kodi's philosophy is based in reality which helps

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

^^I'm not sure what tack you're taking here

In other news, the "big" Fire TV is currently unavailable on Amazon, and the WSJ is saying Amazon just laid off most of their consumer electronics division. Refurb units are still avalible as are new and refurb versions of the AFTV Stick. So that's interesting. Someone else was speculating that we were going to see a big AFTV refresh, but now it's starting to look like they're going to bow out of the consumer electronics market.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The huge losses of their failed phone caused them to scale back a lot of stuff and cancel some projects. I kind of doubt they would kill off the big Fire TV entirely but I guess the Stick does a lot better in terms of sales so who knows. I've used both and there is no comparison, the big unit is worth the extra cash but oh well. At least I got my all in one Kodi + Netflix + etc box for awhile until this breaks.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
On the plus side, maybe they will finally get off their asses and release an Android TV version of their video app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

^^I'm not sure what tack you're taking here

In other news, the "big" Fire TV is currently unavailable on Amazon, and the WSJ is saying Amazon just laid off most of their consumer electronics division. Refurb units are still avalible as are new and refurb versions of the AFTV Stick. So that's interesting. Someone else was speculating that we were going to see a big AFTV refresh, but now it's starting to look like they're going to bow out of the consumer electronics market.

They're releasing a new model soon. (Rumored to be) MediaTek 1.5 GHz quad-core CPU, PowerVR GX6250 GPU and Android 5.1 Fire OS 5.

There's zero chance they're bailing on it. It's one of the successful things they've released and it's something they need to stay competitive with Google/Apple. Giving up on that would basically be throwing in the towel on their VOD service.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 28, 2015