Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I... I did not expect that outcome. And that's after investing most of my points in dodge, as I was sure it was the only way to survive being wrestled by an unfeeling molemarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tunicate posted:

I told you guys, but did you listen? Nooooo

I did. Thanks for the cash!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just so y'all know, I'm going to win my upcoming fight, but then I'm going out of town until late Monday, so y'all had better finish this round before tomorrow morning I think so I can update my fighter and not stall things longer than absolutely necessary!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 2, Fight 2:siren:

Strangler things have happened is a female Strangler fighter managed by Bene Elim. He is clad almost entirely in steel armor with a steel sword in his hand.

Citizen Pain is a male Tigerman fighter managed by Locomotive breath. Iron armor bedecks his body and a silver maul swings easily in his hands.

The two fighters slam into each other with the fury of a thousand suns. Both are looking for a game-changing blow right off the bat. Strangler Things succeeds with that and shoves his sword through the kittycat's left thigh, fracturing bone, severing arteries and nerves, and ultimately sending the tigerman to the floor. However, Citizen Pain also successfully landed his game-changing blow... Strangler Things Have Happened falls to the floor as his neck is smashed to gently caress. His steel sword falls from an unresponsive hand.

Citizen Pain passes out for a split second, but wakes up to the strangler biting him. The tigerman kicks the strangler away, brusing a kidney, and follows the kick with the maul which bruises the poor stranglers guts.

A flurry of blows land on each gladiator, a bite to the neck, a few kicks, punches, maulings... Oh, and Citizen Pain smashes the stranglers unresponsive right leg into pulp. Another blow shatters the left-thigh bone of the poor strangler. Another blow shatters the stranglers first-left-upper arm. Another blow gore-ifies the stranglers second-right-upper arm. Another blow pulps the left-lower leg of the strangler.

I am completely baffled here. Citizen Pain was 100% unconscious for like 50-clicks of the "go ahead one" button in the game. It does not show up in the log. It's right around now when Citizen Pain just stopped moving for a bit. Strangler things punched him a few times, and then Citizen Pain jumped to his feet and continued bashing the crap out of the strangler. Maybe the flashing X showing unconsciousness just didn't go away quick enough?

False ribs are shattered. Guts are bruised. The poor strangler bites and bites but cannot do any damage at this point.

Citizen Pain landed the better first blow which won him the fight.

Winner: Citizen Pain, but using one of his 9 lives

Combat Log

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Awh crap.

Whelp, that's the game. Of all the times for a gladiator to suddenly have nerves in their spine. I wonder if my original idea of two swords would have worked better.

Bad Munki posted:

Just so y'all know, I'm going to win my upcoming fight, but then I'm going out of town until late Monday, so y'all had better finish this round before tomorrow morning I think so I can update my fighter and not stall things longer than absolutely necessary!
You seem very certain of a win...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bene Elim posted:

You seem very certain of a win...

Yep, I'm on a roll of one this tournament!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
After my minotaur getting 1 punch KOd by a strangler, I certainly enjoyed watching this match.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah, our gladiators are gone, so lets just stop running fights and start the NFL-Style tournament.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Bene Elim posted:

Whelp, that's the game. Of all the times for a gladiator to suddenly have nerves in their spine. I wonder if my original idea of two swords would have worked better.

Let's Play! > Dwarf Fortress Arena Challenge: Of all the times for a gladiator to suddenly have nerves in their spine.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

my dad posted:

Bronze and iron will achieve similar effects, though they'll glance off a tiny bit more often (steel is actually really bad at penetrating equal/superior materials) - but copper is dirt cheap. You wouldn't ever need to upgrade your weapon.

It's a combination of several factors.
Daggers have a ridiculously tiny contact area of 8. For comparison - warhammers, the kings of armor piercing, have 15. Now, copper is the heaviest of sharp weapon materials. It's just "cutty" enough not to glance off all the time like silver or platinum would, but heavy enough that its mass can contribute to piercing armor. Give a copper dagger to a really strong creature, and you have a weapon that has the best characteristics of both spears and warhammers. The sheer force of impact, combined with the small impact area, pierces the armor - and then the fact that daggers are sharp weapons with passable penetration depth (fairly low, but still good enough) lets them wreak havoc on bones and internal organs. In my testing, a minotaur casually stabbed a human through the heart, despite the adamantine breastplate protecting it.
Finally, the reason everything above isn't complete nonsense is that DF doesn't model weapons bending/breaking. An actual copper dagger subjected to that much force would bend into uselessness before penetrating anything, instead of being the super-rigid sharp object of doom the game models it as.

I assume that's the same reason serpentmen teeth will go through adamantine armor?

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
I, too, enjoyed watching this match. I will admit though that I was very impressed by the strangler's decision to have a real spine today. It was a bold move, but I don't think it worked out for him.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Huh, looking at the log, it seems likes moles really don't like to wrestle. Probably something I should've known by now, but oh well.

For the record,

Holy Moley has a career record of 1 victory and 1 loss.

He has the following equipment.
Adamantine Helm
Adamantine Mail Shirt

He has the following skills.
Level 5 Fighting (Proficient)
Level 14 Wrestling (Grand Master)
Level 3 Dodging (Competent)
Level 4 Armor (Skilled)

Holy Moley has 10 points currently available to spend.

Edit: Thinking about this some more, the points in fighting probably hurt more than they helped, as it seems like Holy Moley was so busy taking opportunity scratches, he wasn't focused on locking some joints.

Anchors fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 13, 2015

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Every time I've given a gladiator armour over skill/more weapons they've died in the next round.

Naked gladiatoring is the way to win tournaments apparently.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

:siren:1051 Arena Test League - Round of 16, Fight 5:siren:

Let's see if either of these gladiators have spines.

On the left we have Tiger Millionaire the...uh...Tiger Man, managed by Lorrdernie. Tiger millionaire lives up to his name with a solid silver mace and a full suit of silver armour inlaid with embellishments and precious stones. Donald Trump would call this armour gaudy.

On the right, we have Paul Blart: Maul Clop the Minotaur, managed by seasoned "expert" Bad Munki. Paul Blart had added to his armour with gauntlets and boots and still carries his silver maul and wooden shield.

Two large fighters in full armour with bludgeoning weapons. This is either going to be very quick or very long.

Unsurprisingly, Paul Blart is faster than the silver plated Tiger and he closes the gap first. It seems that this is what Tiger Millionaire wanted as he gets the first swing. He slams his maul into Paul Blart's shield hand, smashing it into his wrist. Paul Blart's shield falls.

Paul Blart posted:

I've been wounded. It's annoying.

The two trade blows, managing little more than bruises. Tiger Millionaire tries to spice things up with a kick to the face, but barely bruises Paul Blart's eyelid. Who'd have thought that silver armour would reduce your agility.

Tiger Millionaire dodges back from a stumbling swing by Paul Blart and counters with an overhead smash. His mace comes down on Paul Blart's helm, fracturing the Minotaur's skull.

Paul Blart's face goes slack and he slumps to the floor. Tiger Millionaire brings his mace down again and Paul Blart is no more.

Tiger Millionaire defeats the Mall Clop and advances to the quarter finals!

Combat Log

I wonder if he'll upgrade to platinum now.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

My strategic "funny name" betting scheme is not paying dividends.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

:siren:1051 Arena Test League - Round of 16, Fight 4:siren:

After the last quick one, let's have another.

On the left, defying his name with every breath, we have First Round Casualty the Strangler managed by AnoHito. First Round Casualty is unarmed and wears a bizare mix of steel, iron and leather armour.

On the right, continuing his mission, we have Offcut Must Die the Goblin managed by Haystack. Offcut Must Die carries a copper war hammer and wears a copper mail, with the rest of his body covered in iron.

I have no prediction or idea of how this one will go.

First attacks go nowhere. First Round Casualty starts trying to wrestle and scratch Offcut Must Die but it really doesn't work. Offcut Must Die responds by breaking First Round Casualty's arm.

First Round Casualty switches tactic to biting, finding muscle past the Goblin's iron greaves. Offcut Must Die tries to get the strangler off with his hammer, but only manages a bruise.

First Round Casualty plants his hands and feet and shakes hard. Offcut Must Die is ripped off his feet and the flesh is all but ripped off his leg and sharp strangler teethdig into his thigh bone.

Blood sprays everywhere and Offcut Must Die gives in to pain. First Round Casualty drops the limp form of Offcut Must Die and switches to his head. Limp Goblin limbs are thrashed around, iron dents under strangler teeth and more blood flies.

Much, much later, First Round Casualty is still shaking. Offcut Must Die has woken up twice, only to pass out again immediately. No matter how hard First Round Casualty shakes, the Goblin just won't die.

A full day later (in arena time), First Round Casualty gives up on shaking Offcut Must Die to death and decides to strangle him instead. Offcut Must Die is dead within seconds.

First Round Casualty continues to defy fate and advances to the quarter finals!

Combat Log

Sorry Offcut Must Die, your mission seems to have failed.

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 13, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah a meeting of the inappropriately named characters.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Don't be too hasty, Offcut hasn't won the next fight yet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My winning streak, nooooooooo :(

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Ramc posted:

Gronk "No Neck" Trollson

I guess it's too late to change my fighters name to Krang, eh?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Daaaaamn it

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Bad Munki posted:

My winning streak, nooooooooo :(

Tiger Millionaire got used to dodging law enforcement during his time in finance. :3:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Glad to see my patented tooth-based strategy is paying off for other gladiators!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 2, Last fight:siren:

Zwinglemming is a male Dwarf fighter managed by Zwingley. A copper mace, silver warhammer, and a bunch of leather armor were the purchases this round.

Offcut is a male Goblin fighter managed by Splode. A huge steel axe, leather armor, and a few pieces of iron armor are what he wears.

The gladiators meet and Zwinglemming pummels Offcut with both weapons. Bones are bruised, muscles are bruised, and it's all that Offcut can do to stand there and take it. All of the goblins return strokes are parried easily.

A particularly good blow smashes the goblins right lung, causing trouble breathing. Offcut is not looking good...

Another great swing by Zwinglemming fractures the goblin's left shin. Blood lands on the arena floor for the first time.

More blood soaks the arena floor as Zwinglemming smashes Offcut's right thigh to bits.

Offcuts left foot gets hammered, and the goblin passes out from the pain.

Zwinglemming leaves the arena without even breaking a sweat.

Winner: Zwinglemming with a flawless victory.

Combat Log

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh. Guess Offcut Must Die was right after all.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Points left unspent between rounds accrue interest, right? What's the rate?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Wow, what the hell happened there

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Splode posted:

Wow, what the hell happened there

Skill.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Reminder to upgrade your fighters!:siren:

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Unless you're someone that happens to be managing an ant-woman. Then you should just leave those points where they are. There's interest, you know! Think of the points! Or something. I think. Look just don't spend 'em, trust me.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ok, I'll leave the points as they are right now. (You get granted points the moment your fighter wins a fight)

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
GRONK I AM OFFERING YOU THIS BRIEFCASE OF TIGERBUCKS FROM MY CONSIDERABLE FORTUNE TO THROW THIS MATCH!!!

DONT JUST THINK ABOUT YOURSELF WHAT ABOUT MRS GRONK AND THE GRONKLINGS AT HOME!?

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO...

IS LOSE

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Gronk no need for bribes, has very lucrative sponsorship contract with Dul & Spödgôz Mystery Meat Manufactory :btroll:

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

You're bribing the wrong guy!

I take payment in beer, Spermy accepts bottles of Bad Munki's tears.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Almost out of lube; bribes welcome.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jack the Lad posted:

Points left unspent between rounds accrue interest, right? What's the rate?

20% interest per round.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are we good to place bets on the upcoming round at this point?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Podima posted:

Are we good to place bets on the upcoming round at this point?

Go right ahead!

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Jazzimus Prime posted:

20% interest per round.

Welp, this is a thing I didn't know about. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009