Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

Who we are: Professional services firm with several offices in the US, and a couple of international offices

What we're looking for: Tier 1 tech support. Currently the IT department is two people, and we need a third so we can take care of our increasing employee population. I am at the point where I spend most of my time in meetings and conference calls, and there is no longer enough time to baby sit everyone and all of their requests. We need someone that is comfortable talking to people on the phone, being polite when the other party is losing their mind due to technical issues, and isn't afraid to figure out whatever the problem is and fix it, or escalate if you can't figure out what the problem is.

The Good: The IT department is pretty autonomous as no one else in the company has really any idea what we do, or how we do it. I wouldn't even know who the 3rd most knowledgeable IT person is. I would be your boss, and am generally a real good time as long as you show up to work and work while you're here. There is plenty of time for goofing off and I try to spend as much of my day laughing or making other people laugh as possible. The IT department is very tight knit and basically operates under an all-for-one, one-for-all approach. If someone is getting slammed with whatever, we all pitch in to get the work done.

The Bad: For being the market leader in the work that we do, our employees are that much clueless when it comes to computers. I had to argue with an employee once that claimed he never had to press the send button in Outlook to actually send an email. He had been using outlook for 10 years at that point and was unable to explain how he sent emails without pressing the send button. This same employee complained this week that he didn't like how his screensaver looked on his 2nd monitor.

Benefits: Employee only health insurance is heavily employer subsidized, 401(k) match is 100% up to 5% of your salary, along with the usual insurance policies. Another benefit is that you would get to work for me, a goon. Also, this is great for someone who wants to focus on whatever you want to focus on. There will be times when the phone isn't ringing, and if you want to work on Group Policy, or tweaking VM performance, or network switch configuration, or whatever you care about, you will have the opportunity to do so.

PM me for more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Position: Software Developer (Java and Perl/Python) for a quantitative finance firm.

Who are we? A quantitative asset management firm with about $1 billion in assets under management (that makes us smallish) with three actively-managed alternative mutual funds and several hedge funds. We pick the stocks and other assets that make up mutual funds using quantitative models developed by our analysts. We manage other people's money - John Doe has a 401(k). He has an investment advisor who chooses which funds to put his retirement money in. Some of that money might get put into one or more of our funds.

Where are we? Greater Philly (about 40 minutes outside the city in an awesome town).

What are we looking for? A software developer who is smart, a fast learner, and most importantly, a good cultural fit. You don't need experience in finance, but we're looking for some experience on a development team (2 years or so). Our codebase is mostly Java, MATLAB, Perl, and some Python, but if you know C# or C++ and are willing to learn, that might be okay. You'll be elbow deep in SQL, too. Our developers work on everything from the software that makes trades, to the scripts that load data, to one-off fun projects from other parts of the business.

The good: Casual environment (shorts and flip flops casual). No long hours. Working with really smart people in a no rear end in a top hat environment. The office is in the center of West Chester, PA - a town with a ton of restaurants and lots of live music. It's no city, but it's pretty great. You'll have 4 24" monitors on a motorized stand/sit desk with your rear end in an Aeron and all the free snacks you can eat. People get together over lunch for basketball, running, etc. We also have a weirdly high ratio of musicians.

Your work directly impacts the success of the business. You'll be working directly with traders and analysts to improve and expand our in-house trading software. There are no silos and development and operations work directly together. We iterate quickly and generally follow most agile concepts and 'devops' philosophies. There are no walls to lob your work over. We all own the whole process.

You will learn a ton about the stock and futures markets, quantitative finance, and the mutual fund space, without having to work on Wall Street. It's more interesting than it may sound, I promise.

The bad: Sometimes we have to do boring work. We receive hundreds of files daily in varied formats, and the ETL processes all have to work. If one breaks, we fix it. If we onboard new data, we write new ETL processes.

As I said, we follow most DevOps philosophies (no silos - development, operations, and everyone else work together to accomplish the goal of the business - the way it's always been here), but some of the tooling isn't in place yet. We've been using continuous integration for several years, but deploying some of our software still involves manual (though short) steps. Chef is in place but doesn't cover all of the infrastructure. We're getting there, though. Want to help? Awesome.

Things that are good or bad depending on your view: We're a small team with a big backlog, and we wear many hats. We're also a small company of 25 employees. While we have the capability of working remotely when needed, the position is full-time in our office. Our customer-facing products are mutual funds - boring to some, but exciting to us. Though the funds have a great track record, you're not going to be writing the next big mobile app or beautiful earth-shattering CSS that makes people cry. You will, however, be working on web interfaces used internally, and god drat do we love us some charts. And we don't do HFT if that's your thing.

Benefits: Good pay, great retirement benefits, standard healthcare and vacation policies, and good performers are well rewarded.

Send me a PM for more info.

Erwin fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 25, 2015

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

JOB SEEKER

My experience: 4+ years of enterprise IT experience with Business Systems Administrator as my primary role in the organization. I've worked my entire career in Automotive supporting a 24/7 production operation. My talents include SQL Server Reporting Services, Windows SQL Server administration and MRP systems implementation. I'm also experienced in VMWare vCenter and Microsoft Hyper-V. I'm wearing a lot of hats right now in my current company so I have a fairly wide range of knowledge of most common IT subjects. Networking and switch configuration is probably my weakest area at this point.

Certifications: None so far. I have extensive training in MRP planning.

What I'm looking for: I'm looking for a similar role to what I have right now, but without a boss who borders on insane. My skill set leans more towards MRP/ERP planning and integration with manufacturing processes. I'm also proficient with general Windows Server administration, so I wouldn't mind something along those lines.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helldesk, short term contracts, Unreasonable on-call schedules, bosses with mental instability.

Where I live: Greenville, SC

Where I'm looking: Greenville, SC and the surrounding area, but I would be willing to relocate near the Charlotte, NC or Atlanta, GA areas.

When I can start: Two weeks following acceptance of the job offer.

Requirements: Mid 50's starting salary, 401k, Insurance Benefits. I don't mind dressing up, but business casual would be preferable work environment.

Can be reached via: brandon dot s dot barker at outlook.com, PM

Resume is available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d5lfTyhGMmPGtCUbY_t3ytR48PaDfr0dxJ9M06nYvKc/edit?usp=sharing

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
Who we are: Industry leading company in attraction software
What we are looking for: These are our current open coding/tech positions -
Jr. JavaScript Developer
UI Engineer
Sr. JavaScript Developer
Production Support Analyst
Part-Time UI Designer
Senior Java Developer x2
Systems Administrator

We also have a few non-coding/systems jobs that need technical skill but are more Client facing.

The Good: Lots of work available, always changing environment, good team chemistry and great benefits.A lot of room for advancement. The company has exploded in the last year+.

The Bad: Lot of work so the work/life balance can get thrown out of wack sometimes. Since growing so fast there are some growing pains as we transition from a small company to a larger one.

PM me for more info

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
e: removed

Cock Democracy fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 18, 2015

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mostly the first two.

Who we are: Large internet advertising and content company

What we're looking for: Primarily software engineering, but we're hiring pretty much everything. We're especially in need of a devops person. Experience with AWS good. Our tech stack consists of a legacy a C# codebase we are actively retiring, migrating to Scala running on Linux. Experience with Oracle SQL nice but not necessary. There's also some front-end development going on but I'm not involved and don't know much about it.

There are also some client-facing positions I don't really know much about.

The Good: The advertising department where we're doing the most hiring is the company's money tree and being associated with a profit center is where you want to be. The technical challenges are interesting. I've learned a crapload since starting here. The company culture is very laid back (I wear flipflops to work) and office perks are pretty sweet. Developers have complete control over their work system - my team has 4 different flavors of linux, a few macs and some windows machines .

The Bad: Job pressure is cyclical - right now it's kind of slow, but there are periods of a few months that can feel pretty frenetic. It's important to point out that even under high pressure we have succeeded in meeting our goals. There were some people I work with who worked weekends, but you will never be asked to and it isn't expected of you (and I personally did not).

Benefits: Competitive pay, OK health insurance, meh 401k (I think it's 3% matched with Fidelity). Office perks are pretty sweet though - free snacks and drinks all day, pool table and ping pong table, and yes, they do get used.

PM me for more info.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Job Seeker: Again (This is becoming a habit isn't it?)

Who am I?: An IT professional with more than two years experience in Managed Infrastructure, Desktop Support, Virtualization (Infrastructure, VDI, Hosted Applications), Networking, and a tiny bit of scripting. I've worked in manufacturing, the financial services industry, and for an SMB MSP during my professional career. I've got to touch it all and be in the eye of the storm. I'm looking to take the next step out of the proverbial well

What I'm looking for
A Midlevel position, systems administration, engineering or otherwise.

What I'm not looking for
Helpdesk, Software Development,

Where I'm Looking For It
Greater New York City Area, Northeast New Jersey, Open to Telecommute and Relocation to most places in the States

Requirements
Should provide benefits, healthcare or otherwise. Looking to go in at 70K though other incentives will make me move as well. Certification reimbursement, training a plus.

RobertDanger
Dec 4, 2003
Here comes danger!

I just found out the company I am with has a bunch of positions open so I put it on the spreadsheet. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The company I'm with is going through a fairly insane burst of hiring.

We do voip and other stuff(c), just recently got out of the start-up phase with money in the bank and a product that makes us money. I've been here over a year, and we've been hiring like crazy. (Hell, there's even a sprinkling of goons throughout various departments.) Since I used to be in the IT department for these guys (recently moved over into infrastructure), so I have a decent overview of the departments, and am personally acquainted with most of the hiring managers, so I can probably give you some insight into who does what, and what kind of people you'd be working with.

Basically, if you happen to need entry-level support (or networking) work in the greater Boston area, development (we're mostly Java-based) work in Ottawa, or misc development/support/other work overseas in London UK, Amsterdam, or Aveiro Portugal (we have a few other satellite locations as well), take a look here, see if anything strikes your fancy, and shoot me a PM.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Clanpot Shake posted:

PM me for more info.

Sent you a PM.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Gone.

KS fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 29, 2016

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

KS posted:

Who we are: A pretty cool young powersports/aircraft manufacturing company.

What we're looking for: Infrastructure guy to join the team. Any of the below areas:
1. Networking - ideally dynamic routing and DMVPN experience
2. Cisco UC
3. Sysadmin - Windows and enterprise virtualization
4. Helpdesk lead

If you can cover two or three of those, and you're the go-to person / considered the SME on the team you're currently on, let's talk. We are looking for stars without ego problems.
Alternatively, if you are currently siloed into one of these areas, but are the lifelong self-directed learner type who wants to learn and take ownership of new stuff given the opportunity, let's talk. Everyone here likes to work with smart people.

The Good: Laid back, casual work environment. Smart people. Cool product. Good infrastructure. Great management. Opportunities to grow. Training budget.

The Bad: Honestly, not a lot. While we have a strong 3-person helpdesk, you will help mentor them and back them up. IT is a customer service org and we act like it across the board.

Benefits: Competitive pay, standard insurance stuff, startup-quality 401k.

PM me.

Damnit, had I not just started a new job I'd be all over this :argh:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Do you get a nifty little plane as a signing bonus?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
If you can negotiate it, more power to you. I couldn't :)

Wicaeed posted:

Damnit, had I not just started a new job I'd be all over this :argh:

Your job had better be awesome!

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
I know this is more of a small/stupid question but I can't find a thread for that. Does anybody know what a Data Strategist is? What does that mean compared to Data Scientist, Business Analyst, etc.

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!

Who we are: We're a locally owned IT firm with both retail and commercial operations in Central Texas looking for people who live and breathe technology and desire a fun, challenging, small business workplace for long term employment.

Do you take PCs apart in your spare time?
Solder things behind your back with a blindfold on?
Have a home router that should be in a data center?
Operate ham radio?
Even know what ham radio is?
Own a raspberry pi and write software for it?
Live in/around AUSTIN, TEXAS?

Let's talk!

Do you think Windows XP was the last good version of Windows?
Think folks shouldn't run Windows 8 or 10 because 7 WAS IT?
Use a laptop as thick as a brick?
List Microsoft Word as a skill on your resume? (For real?)

You should probably look elsewhere.

Desired traits:
- Honesty. Nothing matters more to us than honesty. We're a small team that knows everything about each other and trusts each other implicitly.
- Permanent resident of Central Texas. We're stable and want to employ you for many years. You should be in a place in life where this is what you want.
- An attitude of continual improvement. If you can't take working somewhere that encourages you to question and further optimize what you do every day you shouldn't work here

You will not be considered if:
- You have a history of repeated short turn job turnover
- You do not have a high school diploma. College a plus but not required.
- You are looking for part time or short term employment. We need you to want to live and work in Austin and for us for many years to come.

Relevant professional experience is always nice but isn't as important as your personal interest in technology. We work long hours on some of the latest and greatest tech. What makes us different than others? After a 10 hour day we still go home and take apart something electronic in our spare time!

We can't state enough that if you don't live, breathe, and love technology outside of work we don't need to waste your time. If you do let's talk.

INSTRUCTIONS TO RESPOND: Please send me a PM on the forums describing a tech related project you've done recently outside of work. If you don't have PM you can email my junker email address cybernet thinginthemiddleofanemailaddress austin.rr.com and hope I find you amongst the ocean of spam I get from having ordered all manner of strange products from the internet.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

KernelSlanders posted:

I know this is more of a small/stupid question but I can't find a thread for that. Does anybody know what a Data Strategist is? What does that mean compared to Data Scientist, Business Analyst, etc.

Seems like most data-based jobs are made up names. Just have to read the job description to figure out what the actual duties are :shrug:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know if this a joke or not, but this sounds miserable.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

skipdogg posted:

Waco 2.0

Now with more free kool-aid!

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 15, 2015

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

skipdogg posted:

What about it sounds miserable?

e; Other than having to live long-term in Texas :ironicat:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The March Hare posted:

What about it sounds miserable?

e; Other than having to live long-term in Texas :ironicat:

It's basically an ad for a long term computer janitor who doesn't mind working unlimited overtime because he's doing his "passion".

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Seriously, I also thought it was a joke. Combine the "only apply if you LOVE technology" and the "only LONG TERM candidates considered" and that's just too many creepy desperate red flags in one post. And I generally think that I love technology and prefer long term jobs.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
That's gotta be a troll post. Hahaha what a loving awful place. YOU WILL BE EXACTLY LIKE US AND LOVE IT OR DON'T EVEN BOTHER! Hahahah loving awful.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

nm

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 15, 2015

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

chedemefedeme posted:

Relevant professional experience is always nice but isn't as important as your personal interest in technology. We work long hours on some of the latest and greatest tech. What makes us different than others? After a 10 hour day we still go home and take apart something electronic in our spare time!

We can't state enough that if you don't live, breathe, and love technology outside of work we don't need to waste your time. If you do let's talk.

lol

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
That posting actually never gets old.

I still don't drink Rogue beer in large part because of that in addition to their treatment of their brewery staff.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Comradephate posted:

I still don't drink Rogue beer in large part because of that in addition to their treatment of their brewery staff.

Absolutely this. Stopped with the hazelnut nectar and never again. Hells no.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Didn't Penny Arcade have a similar "do everything, get paid nothing" job posting a while back?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Didn't Penny Arcade have a similar "do everything, get paid nothing" job posting a while back?

Job description 
**** PLEASE NOTE: YOU HAVE UNTIL DECEMBER 20, 2013 AT 9:00 PM PST TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION. PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER AT @RKHOO FOR UPDATES IN CASE EMAIL GETS SENT TO SPAM FOLDERS, ETC. **** 

Given our audience and the job at hand, this could potentially be the most competitive position we ever hire for. We're looking for a web developer / software developer / sys admin to join our small family. We’re a team of 15-20 people that essentially run Penny Arcade proper, the online store, our fulfillment center, the PAX shows, Child’s Play, PATV, and a bunch of other smaller things that no one ever hears about. We rely heavily on outside partners and vendors, but as far as managing and helping run/deploy the technical infrastructure to most of the things we do, we rely on one person. That person is you. 

So yes, we run lean. Most of us would say maybe a little TOO lean, but being pushed to your limit is part of the job. I'm not saying that to try and scare you away OR impress you, but it's in both of our best interests to understand and set expectations properly. If you have boundless energy and desire to work on both creative AND sometimes tedious work but in an environment that just might change your life, perhaps this is the opportunity for you. 

We are quite literally looking for a person that can do four jobs: Web Development, Software Development, Sys Admin, and the (dreaded) GENERAL IT for us here that need help configuring a firewall for a dev kit, etc. Sorry, I know that’s the WORST, but it’s absolutely part of the gig. 

So yeah, we know that’s a lot to ask of a person, but all of us here work tremendously hard to do a lot of things, and if you’d like to be at the technical epicenter of it all and don’t mind having a really bad sense of work-life balance, this is the job for you. 

Desired Skills and Experience 
General Requirements 

- You need to have a crazy-person level of attention to detail. 

- Strong project management skills, organizational skills and time-management skills. 

- A motivated self-starter who can overcome or workaround issues independently. 

- Flexibility to travel up to 30% of the time. 

- You should have no problems working in a creative and potentially offensive environment. 

- Flexibility adapting to deadlines, changing schedules, priorities and unpredictable events in a fast paced environment. 

- The ability to communicate and work well in a team environment as well as on an individual basis. 

- Must have the ability to prioritize tasks and balance the immediate and long term needs. 

- You should have no problem appearing on camera. 

- It’s rarely we call on it, but if something breaks in the middle of the night, you are expected to be on call to address that issue 24/7. 

Some things you should know about this job. 

We’re terrible at work-life balance. Although work is pretty much your life, we do our absolute best to make sure that work is as awesome as possible so you at least enjoy each and every day here.

And here are some other things we’re using to weed people out. It’s not fair. I know. Life’s not fair. 

- A BA/BS or greater degree in Computer Science or a related field 

- A minimum of 3 years in development and project management, preferably in a professional workplace 

- Strong experience in PHP, MySQL, Javascript (jQuery and AJAX), CSS, Apache 

- Strong experience in one of Java, Python, Ruby, or other object-oriented language 

- A history of running and configuring multiple-server environments, including load balancers, web accelerators/caching systems, and databases 

- A history of running and configuring multiple server environments, load balancers, and varnish. 

- You should probably be a fan of Penny Arcade. Probably. Yeah. 

COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: 

- Annual Salary: Negotiable, but you should know up front we’re not a terribly money-motivated group. We’re more likely to spend less money on salary and invest that on making your day-to-day life at work better.

- Full Medical, Vision and Dental 

- 401k (SEP) retirement contributions (2% of annual income per year) 

- Holiday pay 

- Periodic bonuses 

- Flexible vacation time 

- We're willing to relocate you if need be 

Send me your resume via the linked in system. If you don't submit your resume, I won't look at your application. Sorry - I gotta streamline the process.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I hope that was a joke :eyepop:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

kloa posted:

I hope that was a joke :eyepop:

Nope, 100% legit if I recall correctly. They had similar job postings for artists too that had similar " YOU WILL HAVE NO LIFE " stipulations.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Gothmog1065 posted:

Nope, 100% legit if I recall correctly. They had similar job postings for artists too that had similar " YOU WILL HAVE NO LIFE " stipulations.

Yeah totally legit. The guy who was leaving the position made a post defending PA.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

jkyuusai posted:

Yeah totally legit. The guy who was leaving the position made a post defending PA.

That is the job equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Comradephate posted:

I flat out refuse to drink Rogue because of that

that and the god awful bacon maple beer

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

KS posted:

PM me.

I sent a PM asking if I could refer you somebody else I know but not sure if the implied answer from non-response is no, or, you just haven't seen it yet.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Vargatron posted:

That is the job equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome.

I think my favorite part is all the posters scoffing at the idea of a 40 hour work week.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Doesn't someone here actually know the guy who took that job IRL? Or was it the sucker who went for the Rogue job? Can't remember.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Docjowles posted:

Doesn't someone here actually know the guy who took that job IRL? Or was it the sucker who went for the Rogue job? Can't remember.

I know the goon who's friend took the Rogue job, yeah. As far as I know, he's still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!
Haha. Oh man. Not a joke but certainly intended to get a reaction. Didn't expect that one though. Glad to know computer janitors are still so loved :). Well played recalling the "IF YOU NEED 50K DONT APPLY" Portland post, though. That cracked me up pretty good.

In all seriousness we actually do have an IT job opening and tend to write comedic/bizarre posts to stand out on craiglist/indeed/other boring job sites where everyone's looking for someone who "KNOWS COMPUTERS". Leave it to the goons to find an even goonier posting than mine! Glad to entertain. Or horrify.

I wouldn't wish moving to Texas for an IT job upon anyone but if you're already here for some reason and for some further insane reason enjoy this type of work we'll still actually hire you. Several of us in the group have made a rather comfortable living on it. The business market in this town is booming and there's no shortage of work for computer janitors. It can't be terribly far fetched to assume there are some computer disassembling goons on something awful.