Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Skuto posted:

The G502 is a palm grip mouse. You want the G303, which is the best G9x replacement Logitech (or anyone?) has. Unfortunately you won't have the ungearable scrollwheel.

There's comments on the last few pages about people with this exact dilemma.

I would say the G502 is really just a not-claw grip mouse - palm or fingertips both work well.

And I'll post the Dell (Alienware) rebranded G9X again - it's not exactly the same, but probably close enough for people and certainly the closest thing: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=331-9667

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Aside from the 11 buttons and the little weights what does the 502 have over the 402? You still get a sort of crazy 6 buttons ard 4000 dpi .

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

G502 has a better sensor (how much you care is up to you), and also has a much better cord. It also has the big heavy mousewheel that you can toggle between freespin or regular. The layout is also slightly different, and it weights more even by default.

If it weren't for the sensor and cord I'd probably use a G402 instead.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

How is the cord?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The G402 one is non-braided and a bit more rigid. The G502 one is braided and a bit more flexible.

As usual, how much you care is going to be up to personal taste, and also your desk layout and if you have a mouse bungee or not.

My personal opinion on the G402 cord is 'yuck'.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The G402 one is non-braided and a bit more rigid. The G502 one is braided and a bit more flexible.

As usual, how much you care is going to be up to personal taste, and also your desk layout and if you have a mouse bungee or not.

My personal opinion on the G402 cord is 'yuck'.

Does a mouse bungee make it feel like a wireless mouse in terms of how it moves around? I'd love to get a G502, but I like the wireless for work, and hate having a cord drag all over the place.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I have an Amazon cart full of 300-something dollars worth of mice to try out, and before I order it I figure I may as well ask here:

I'm looking for something like the classic Microsoft Intellimouse 1.0 OR the 3.0. I've currently got an old Logitech G5 that's on its way out, and I like it alright, but I loved those old MS mice. I'm considering the Steelseries Kana, Sensei, and Rival, and the Zowie EC1-A and FK1.

I don't want tons of buttons or fancy software or anything, I don't want wireless, and I'd prefer something that plays nicely with lifting the mouse and repositioning. Ideally I'd like something reliable and relatively light. I have large hands, and prefer a palm grip. The Logitech 502 looks hideous, but if it matches my parameters I'm willing to consider it. Any other suggestions?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

Does a mouse bungee make it feel like a wireless mouse in terms of how it moves around? I'd love to get a G502, but I like the wireless for work, and hate having a cord drag all over the place.

It's not quite the same but it's a lot closer than just letting the cord drag on your desk. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it right, but it's worth it if you really hate cords. Wireless mice also have the extra weight of the battery, but the G502 has adjustable weights so you can get it setup however you like (as long as you like your mouse >120g anyway).

Disclaimer: I actually have a 2-tiered desk setup and I use that to manage my mouse cords, so I can't vouch for any particular brand of bungee.

AriTheDog posted:

I'm looking for something like the classic Microsoft Intellimouse 1.0 OR the 3.0. I've currently got an old Logitech G5 that's on its way out, and I like it alright, but I loved those old MS mice. I'm considering the Steelseries Kana, Sensei, and Rival, and the Zowie EC1-A and FK1.

I don't want tons of buttons or fancy software or anything, I don't want wireless, and I'd prefer something that plays nicely with lifting the mouse and repositioning. Ideally I'd like something reliable and relatively light. I have large hands, and prefer a palm grip. The Logitech 502 looks hideous, but if it matches my parameters I'm willing to consider it. Any other suggestions?

G502 is on the heavier side of things at 120g. It looks weird as poo poo but it's actually very comfortable, and the button layout is quite good. I don't think it's too heavy for typical usage, but if you play stuff like Counterstrike or RTSs you may find your arm/wrist hating the extra weight. There's also the G402 which is a bit lighter weight, see a few posts up for the differences with it.

Rival is a good option, it's a bit lighter and the shape is a bit different. Biggest downside over the G502 is it's far less configurable, in terms of the sensor and buttons. Doesn't save profiles on-board either so you've got to run the software to change things.

Kana is pretty much the Intellimouse 1.0 but closer in shape to the WMO1.1. However, Kana v1 doesn't have as great of parts as the v2 model, and the v2 is only available in certain countries. I will also say that the Kana has a lovely mousewheel design in general. Wouldn't recommend anything else Steelseries makes.

Zowies are well regarded but I had issues with the older one I used so I can't really speak for their newer models. Their DPI options are completely inflexible which is a big negative for me these days, Logitech has spoiled me a bit I think. Other people in this thread can fill you in better on these guys.

Depending on just how large your hands are, you might not find it comfortable to palm the Kana or some Zowie models.

You might also take a look at the Naos 7000, it's a very well put together mouse and it's very wide. The shape seems extremely hit or miss with people though. And generally speaking, the best way to get it is to wait for a Massdrop, otherwise you'll be paying closer to $80 for one (instead of $40). It's my current favorite mouse, super comfortable, great sensor, buttons, wheel, cord, and software.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 11, 2015

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Thank you for the feedback. Very helpful. :)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I have both the zowie fk1 and rival in my hands now, specially for csgo. Haven't played a game yet but coming from an old rear end deathadder, the rival feels more comfortable. I definitely prefer the easier to click buttons of the. I don't like that I have to readjust my thumb to hit the side buttons, which is a non issue on the fk1. I feel like I'd pick the zowie if the buttons felt like the rival.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
After spending $80 on the MX Master for work I have to say I love it, I'm also now spoiled and expect all of my mice to have an auto-adjusting scrollwheel to freespin when I scroll fast :argh:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Got my g402 in the mail but the middle scroll wheel wasn't registering every time so I ordered a g502 as a replacement. Pretty stoked to have my first ever "gaming mouse."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Remember the discussion earlier about how goons don't understand why mice keep on having wiz bang colors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl25wpMoEtY&t=411s

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Initial impressions of G502 compared to G9/X: It feels like a combination of the MX Rev and G9. The rubber grip and shape remind me of the Revolution. The scroll wheel, while clutchless, feels more like the Rev as well; It carries inertia better than the G9, and is easier to scroll with. The top button to switch between free and click is much more convenient than having one on the bottom. The extra, programmable buttons are nice. The movement's a bit smoother, although this might be due to the feet of my G9 being worn out. It's larger and heavier than the G9. I think I like it more. I don't miss the play of the swappable shells. I appreciate how I can disable the LEDs.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 13, 2015

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
That video made me realize that the light on my 502 isn't supposed to be a teal sort of color. Wonder if I should bother with an RMA.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Turn it off in the settings.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Josh Lyman posted:

Remember the discussion earlier about how goons don't understand why mice keep on having wiz bang colors?

:stare: What did I just watch?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I don't like how the pinky rests on the G502, because it doesn't rest, it kinda just hangs off to the side.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Dominoes posted:

Turn it off in the settings.

I've just been using the default Windows drivers so I don't have the Logitech software installed, and the light doesn't bother me enough to go out of my way to install it. :shrug:

Mutation posted:

I don't like how the pinky rests on the G502, because it doesn't rest, it kinda just hangs off to the side.

Palm grip? With a fingertip grip I'm never resting my pinky anyways, so I never needed it.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Ynglaur posted:

:stare: What did I just watch?

If you close your eyes, it's like Dean Pelton from Community is nerding out about a goddamn mouse for ten minutes.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I bought a Roccat Kone Pure Optical to replace my old CM Xornet. I don't really play games often, rather using my PC for programming and document creation: gaming mice seem to have more effort put into them.

It takes a little getting used to coming from years of the Xornet, but I am really pleased with it. It is light weight but feels solid, the shape is comfortable, and the buttons are perfect (i.e. well placed with no pretravel) as is the wheel. I like the coating too, though many reviewers seem to not. The software that comes with it has lots of options that I will likely never use other than to turn off the light and alter the default DPI settings. With the LED off, the mouse is not embarrassing to be seen with. Though it might be in my head, the sensor seems much smoother than the Xornet and my ancient Logitech G5. I am not in love, however, with the braided cable.

If you have small to medium hands and use a claw or finger grip, I think the Kone Pure Optical at $50 is worth a look. If you have large hands and like to palm, I'm not sure it is a good option.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

'This mouse, which is just one mouse in a literal ocean of (mostly garbage) mice, is really great, except that it doesn't light up the way I want it to so I might not replace my current, less functional mouse because it lights up real pretty like'.

Linus, you are the reason why we can't have nice things.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Never read the Amazon reviews.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

isndl posted:

I've just been using the default Windows drivers so I don't have the Logitech software installed, and the light doesn't bother me enough to go out of my way to install it. :shrug:
It's worth it to install the Logitech drivers, and set up your profile on onboard memory when you first get the mouse. You can then delete the software if you want, and the profile will stay on the mouse, for any computer and OS you use indefinitely.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Mutation posted:

I never noticed my pinky position at all on my G502 until you mentioned this. Now I can't stop. Ugh.

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

AriTheDog posted:

I have an Amazon cart full of 300-something dollars worth of mice to try out, and before I order it I figure I may as well ask here:

I don't know why goons have such a raging fetish for Logitech mice over everything else (they're good mice but they're certainly not the only good ones), but the g402 and g502 are nothing like the Intellimouse... and I also think the g502 looks like garbage personally.

Zowie EC1-A is a pretty solid Intellimouse-like with the best sensor you can buy, and no drivers needed at all. Also light, super low LOD, etc. It's what I use currently - I have a Steelseries Rival as backup but I like the EC1-A better.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

illezt posted:

I don't know why goons have such a raging fetish for Logitech mice over everything else (they're good mice but they're certainly not the only good ones), but the g402 and g502 are nothing like the Intellimouse... and I also think the g502 looks like garbage personally.
They're reliable, and Logitech has outstanding customer support. When comparing mice, I noticed others lacked useful features that Logitech uses, like side-scrolling and free/click switch scrolling.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 14, 2015

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Is the Mionix Naos 7000 a good deal at $40?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

betterinsodapop posted:

Yes, that's about as cheap as it ever gets. It's a good mouse but the shape is very hit or miss for people. If you end up hating it you can always send it to me, I could use another mouse for work :ironicat:

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

Dominoes posted:

They're reliable, and Logitech has outstanding customer support. When comparing mice, I noticed others lacked useful features that Logitech uses, like side-scrolling and free/click switch scrolling.

How often do you break your mouse? I've only ever had 1 gaming mouse last for less than a year or two... incidentally, it was a Logitech.

and I guess that's just personal preference. I honestly can't think of a single situation where it'd be legitimately useful to change my DPI by 50, for example. I just like simple nice that do the job and don't look like alien spaceships I guess.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

If the result is giving me a g700s replacement that lets it match the garish rainbow vomit on my keyboard when I'm using it and turning it off when I'm not, I'm okay with it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

illezt posted:

How often do you break your mouse? I've only ever had 1 gaming mouse last for less than a year or two... incidentally, it was a Logitech.

and I guess that's just personal preference. I honestly can't think of a single situation where it'd be legitimately useful to change my DPI by 50, for example. I just like simple nice that do the job and don't look like alien spaceships I guess.
I've only broken one mouse, a Logitech MX1000 years ago; it had a minor scroll wheel problem, and they replaced it with an MX-rev after a few minutes on the phone. I've been using my G9 and 9x for ~6-7 years.

illezt posted:

I just like simple nice that do the job and don't look like alien spaceships I guess.
You're missing out if you don't use sidescroll for tab switching!

The 502 does look super-goofy, even with the lights disabled.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

illezt posted:

I don't get it. Some people like shoving things up their rear end, why do they do it? I honestly can't think of a single situation where it'd be legitimately useful to shove a thing up my rear end.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

betterinsodapop posted:

Link to this deal, please! Assuming it's not a one-off thing you can't share.

isndl
May 2, 2012

illezt posted:

Mouse failures are random, but you can choose to buy from a company that is known for good support in the event it happens.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

illezt posted:

Zowie EC1-A is a pretty solid Intellimouse-like with the best sensor you can buy, and no drivers needed at all. Also light, super low LOD, etc. It's what I use currently - I have a Steelseries Rival as backup but I like the EC1-A better.

I liked my logitech g302 since its small enough for my hands, doesn't look to alien like so not embarrassed when I bring it out to school, and has the ambidexterous grip I like since I put my index and middle finger on the left click button when I play games that use the middle mouse button a lot (ie. ARMA 3). And it was readily available locally.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

illezt posted:

IIRC the Zowie mouse have fixed steps like 800->1600->3200 so that's a very very far cry from 50 DPI steps.

Also that "best sensor money can buy" has cursor creep on hard/plastic mousemats.

I like my Zowie but there's perfectly legit reasons to prefer Logitech.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

AriTheDog posted:

Link to this deal, please! Assuming it's not a one-off thing you can't share.
No problem. It's on Massdrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mionix-naos-7000
(This also means that it won't ship until sometime in the middle of next month.)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Skuto posted:

IIRC the Zowie mouse have fixed steps like 800->1600->3200 so that's a very very far cry from 50 DPI steps.

This just means that they prioritize a clean, non-interpolated signal. One of those steps (probably 1600) is the native CPI for the sensor, and instead of discarding one out of every 20 pixels to make it e.g. 1520 CPI, they either double the pixel count or halve it. Much cleaner, and it's recommended to set your mouse to half or double of its native CPI anyway, in the same guides that tell you to make games only accept hardware input and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

This just means that they prioritize a clean, non-interpolated signal. One of those steps (probably 1600) is the native CPI for the sensor, and instead of discarding one out of every 20 pixels to make it e.g. 1520 CPI, they either double the pixel count or halve it. Much cleaner, and it's recommended to set your mouse to half or double of its native CPI anyway, in the same guides that tell you to make games only accept hardware input and such.

Yeah except:

1) At least some of the older models of Zowie mice which did this STILL had bad interpolated that would drop inputs. Dunno about the newer ones though.
2) Every 50cpi step on the Logitech sensor is a native resolution.

E: That's the Pixart 3366 sensor specifically, which is in the G502 and G303 only right now AFAIK.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 15, 2015