Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
A map of the Saturday goon mp game after the second session:

We have a few new players for the big empty area in Germany but for anyone else wanting to join India is open.

Timurids: 199 development, 0 ideas
Jaunpur: 184 development, 5 in innovative
Bahmanis: 172 development, 2 in humanist
Bengal: 162 development, 2 in trade
Multan: 130 development, 0 ideas
Orissa: 118 development, 1 in religious
Malwa: 90 development, 2 in economic

Edits can be made on request to switch idea groups and keep the points to anything that uses the same type of points. Gujarat is already taken. Playing in India is a good way to get your toes wet without standing in the killing fields of Europe. We'll also probably need subs for players who won't be able to make it if someone wants to play but can't commit every week.

Anyone interested in joining can find out more in this thread and post your steam ID there or add me:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730493

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sammvt

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Jackson Taus posted:

Based on some of the advice upthread, I'm doing another Ottomans game (going for 1001 and the 1M manpower achieves) with the "cut yourself off from your capital so everything in Asia/Africa is 50% cheaper to core" strategy. I'm using Syria to block Africa and I've got Iraq stretching from the Persian Gulf to the Caspian Sea. Is there an easy way to block myself off in the North-East? Like if I integrate Crimea, push through Georgia into the Horde territories and the cheap Russian lands, is there an easy spot to block that from my capital? Or do I just have to make sure to leave an unconquered strip between my steppe conquerings and my Middle East through India conquerings?

I just got the 1001 achievement around 1700 with Ottomans last time I played. I kinda did a gimmick run, though, where I converted to Catholic and then Protestant, and became Emperor (another 10% coring discount, plus vassal swarm!) after winning the 30 years war, so you don't need to go as crazy as I did and should be fine. You're asking a lot less, but in case anyone else wanted to try, here's what I did.

The beginning was the hardest part of the game for me. There's a province of the Mamluks that's Catholic (Sidon), and you have about 5 years to grab it to spawn the rebels I wanted, and everything has to go right to get it on schedule. You want the +5% discipline advisor, since the Mamluks can beat you if they get lucky or catch you off guard (since you can't take your time and fight on your terms), so every bit helps. My opening moves were to rival Timurids, QQ, and Mamluks, fabricate claims on the two Mamluk provinces you can get (and don't forget to embargo your rivals, PP is huge), take the + stability mission, declare war on Albania (you should wipe their army right away), leave a siege going and send the rest to march on Dulkadir. Recruit 2-4 mercs; you need to preserve your manpower. If everything is going right, they won't have any allies yet. Declare war, and fabricate on the other Mamluk province when the first comes up. A second general might be useful, especially if you can get one with siege pips. Hopefully, you'll get both Albania and Dulkadir peaced out within two years; if not, you need to declare war on Mamluks anyway - this just splits your forces in a really risky way.

Before you declare on Mamluks, split your fleet. You want your main fleet positioned in a way so that the Mamluks blockade them into port (I put them in Edirne), but you want two fleets of two transports each parked in Mentese and Teke. Their job is to send two armies of 2,000 to take Sidon and Trablus - Sidon to stop the Mamluk missionary, and Trablus so you can get troops to it to defend it. The idea of splitting them is in case the Mamluks or their allies decide to blockade on of them in. Also, be prepared to lose at least one of these fleets - in most of my runs before I got it off the ground, a fleet arrived just after the troops had landed. Both of those provinces are mountains, so they'll be much easier to defend, so be sure to defend there if possible. They also have to be occupied by troops until you finish the first siege and move on to Dimashq or the fort there will reclaim them. Do not attack the Mamluks in the mountains - you'll lose that battle and they'll mess up your run. This is the really hard part, waiting for that first siege to finish - you have three provinces to defend - the siege and the two others. I parked my main troop force in Antakya so they didn't keep taking attrition from the siege, and you need to watch what the enemy troops are doing. Be prepared to buy lots of mercenaries, and to merge units and replace them with more mercenaries; you have to keep your manpower up in the early game, and full units fight better.

Assuming all goes as planned, take Antyaka, Trablus, and Sidon; you probably won't be able to get any more, and at this point you want the war over. You can generally take them once both sieges are won, or shortly after. Send a missionary to Sidon, let the month tick over to be sure, and then lower autonomy; this should result in a high revolt percentage for Catholic zealots, which will revolt in 3-5 years (make sure you do this in the right order, or else you won't get Catholic rebels). Do not core these provinces; you want that +RR and you'll be giving them up soon to Syria, so don't waste the admin. Use this time to consolidate your lands. Regain your cores as you can (hopefully they don't have any powerful allies) and grab the Syrian core from AQ if you can, along with yours, and finish off the improve prestige mission. Be sure to take Constantinople (along with the mission) - you'll want to have the Byzantine provinces claimed by this point, as well as Kosovo - BYZ often allies Serbia, so you can take the gold mine and maybe the province next to Ragusa in that war (or get it later if they don't ally.) Grab Constantinople, and before you take the decision to move your capital, raise autonomy to lower your revolt risk - it will automatically go to 0% after it's your capital.

Hopefully, you're all set at this point to wait for the rebels to spawn, and they won't take much longer. I deleted all my eastern forts so they wouldn't need to siege them and I wouldn't need to retake them, but left the some of the ones on the west alone (I did delete a few for cost reasons, including Constantinople) but left a few in strategic places). If the other two Mamluk provinces look like they'll revolt first, lower autonomy to delay them. And then you wait; let the rebels take as many provinces as they can, which flips their religion to Catholic. If you're lucky, they'll be competent and can take most of your country. If not, they'll sit there and won't move for long periods of time, and additional stacks will just link up and do nothing. You want to let them take as many provinces as possible, to cross the strait, and then you want to send a fleet so they can't move to the eastern side. Regain all your provinces they took (so you can accept demands without losing autonomy) and then make sure you retake Constantinople before the ticking warscore forces you to accept their demands. Every province that gets converted to Catholic helps you big time in the long run, though, especially if they were Muslim.

So, you're now Catholic Ottomans with most of your cores regained, and the game gets easier; just be careful with your AE. Avoid fabricating on any European province because if you get caught, you get a lot of AE and this adds up, especially if you were able to grab those two Serbian provinces. Get them if you haven''t, and maybe see if you can get another cheap European province without a long war; after this, you want your AE in Europe to cool down from all the provinces you took from BYZ. Now, you want to get your vassals up and running. Release Syria after the rebels are dealt with - you waited both for the overextension and to ensure that the rebels could get to your capital; they can be buggy. You want to declare war on QQ and liberate as much of Syria and Iraq as you can, as well as Ilam - take their provinces, but you can transfer occupation of Syrian ones to Syria. You need Ilam; it's the only Persian core you can release Persia from, the others are off culture. In one game I ran into trouble because Timurids took it first; this was a huge headache and slowed me down so much that I had to restart. You can't take much of Iraq, but at least get a corridor to Persia and block off Africa and the Middle East.

One thing to note is that after a province changes religions, it gets a religious zeal modifier for 25 years that makes it impossible to convert. This makes it generally a good idea to use your missionaries on Muslim provinces, but not Orthodox ones; in 30-50 years you'll be converting to protestant, and all heretic provinces will convert really fast, (+10% modifier for ten years on heretics after conversion), so you don't want that modifier on any formerly orthodox provinces when the time comes to switch.

From here on out, your only major problem is coalitions. Get your PP as high as you can; take Mamluk land whenever you have the opportunity (preferably alongside one of those +trade efficiency missions), and get a path through the Middle East and through to the Persian Gulf as soon as possible; this allows you to core a ton of provinces that you can't take before this.

As far as Europe goes, you want to take Wien some time before 1500; you'll get Admin 10 around 1515 and can westernize. You can go through Hungary, but I went through Venice and then Austria - this got me some of Venice's islands, too. Chill out in Europe now; you want to avoid AE there and to let the coalitions cool down, since this is the part where you're likely to get a coalition; if possible, declare war against it early, before other nations join in too much, and you can remove a quarter to a half of them from it. Do what you can to help pass Imperial Reforms; you might get an opportunity to join a war and force an non-HRE state to return a HRE province to a HRE state, and you might want to remove Wien and the other provinces you took from the empire - especially if they're at 0 IA after passing a reform. If you're lucky, they'll pass more than one reform before the reformation hits, but in all but one of my games, they just passed the first one and sputtered out.

While you wait for the reformation to hit, finish taking the Middle East, and grab what you can of Africa. Coalitions here might slow you down, but they tend to drop out in a decade or so; you can improve relations to drop the size of coalitions during this phase. You really want to avoid any European coalition wars if at all possible, so keeping coalitions small helps. France can make a great ally if they're strong in your game for coalitions, too. You can also start heading toward India. This is also where your question comes in; you want a path north from the Persian Gulf into Russia, and not north in Europe; you can take all sorts of land really cheaply, and leave a one province gap between the European and Asian zones (look at the region map for this). You can grab a ton of Russian land for dirt cheap this way, too, and get tons of PP if you're rivaled with Russia, though most of this will take place later in the game.

You might also want to grab Rome, though the AE is a major drawback to this. I grabbed it and survived, but had coalition issues.

When the reformation hits, I don't know whether it's better to convert fast and get the CoR, or to let three other countries grab them. If you get one, it'll mostly convert just you, and won't help a lot in the HRE, so I think it's best to convert after the three have been taken - hopefully they're all in Europe. Grab defender of the faith and do what you can to keep the CoRs from being converted. If you have Rome, Mecca, and Jerusalem, plus DoF, you'll have five missionaries. You'll get really quick conversion times for all Christian provinces for ten years; make these years count. Get an inquisitor if you can, too; you're now racing the religious disaster. Hopefully, you took humanist and have the +25% religious unity idea by now, since it will help a ton at this moment. I was able to get to 75% religious unity with about a year to spare on the disaster.

Your next goal is to prepare for the thirty years war. Get into HRE wars if you can and just force religion where possible, or release protestant states. Get the electors all converted to Protestantism if you can, or at least most of them. Defender of the faith helps here, though you'll have to peace out separately if this is the case. Don't be afraid to decline a DoF call to war; you can just claim it again for 500 ducats. Ally and royal marriage an elector or two, and get all the electors to 100 relations if possible. After 1550, there's a chance for the religious leagues event to fire with a MTTH of 10 years, with extra modifiers the longer it takes to fire; it took mine 6 years. Join the league immediately. You can do one of two things; declare war immediately, before anyone lines up to join the enemy, or wait a little and let as many nations join as possible. This means more allies, preferably electors, and more (hopefully) minor Catholic HRE states - you can force religion on them during the war. You do not want to have any coalitions against you at this point, as it massively complicates thing. In my first game that got this far, I had half of India pissed at me, along with Austria, and it was a long and drawn out war. In my second (current), there was no coalition and I had France on my side and completely crushed Austria without a lot of trouble. On winning the league war, you get +100 to an emperor vote (so long as you do NOT have a female ruler! If so, she is not eligible to be emperor; this really slowed down my first game as I didn't realize this) as the league leader - if your AE is low and your relations with the electors are high, you should win the election.

Join the HRE. Unfortunately, you'll lose your Empire rank, but you can't really get IA as a non-HRE state - adding provinces gives you a non-HRE state province penalty to IA, and you'll struggle to stay emperor. This way of joining the empire means you don't get the AE from vassalizing electors, and don't lose the prestige for releasing them after being elected. It's not too hard to stay Emperor at this point. Pass the first few reforms by adding land, and save some land to add for when you're close to a reform in between wars. It may be smart to add provinces to the empire and then return a province to a non-existing nation (releasing whole vassals works, too, but you lose prestige for canceling them); these provinces will join as HRE nations, hopefully protestant if you did things right, and more HRE independent nations means extra IA over time. Be sure to have 7 free cities, reclaim HRE land, convert as many catholic HRE members as possible (but be very careful with force religious unity for the relation tanking it does to everyone of that religion), and just do whatever you can to get Revoke the Privilegia. Aim for this by 1600; take as much European land as you can to help this along, without getting too much AE. Also continue taking over Africa and India during this time; you'll hopefully do a lot of damage to the Iberian coastline during this time, and you want to get them annexed before their colonial nations break away if you can. I had problems with this, and ended up helping Portugal and Spain out twice, by declaring war against someone allied with the CNs during their revolution and occupying their capital so they don't get a ticking war score and can't get enough to go independent.

In general, try to take out Brunei, Ternate, and Tidor as fast as you can; you don't want them to start colonizing. Grab what you can of this area, and along with grabbing the Indian coast, you'll be making a ton of money in Zanzibar or the Cape (take the Cape when you can, but if no one colonizes it, you might have to wait a bit).

You want a path to Ming, so you can hit them early and often. The first war against Ming is tough; they're not pushovers like they were in previous patches, but you should be able to field a very large army and just kill them with your great generals and high discipline (the Janissaries are AMAZING, and you should have no problem keeping them - they trigger some time after 50 army tradition, so early in the game). Take one of the amazing trade efficiency missions for China to make a ton of money; some time afterward you're likely to get the event that gives you a ton of money or 10% TE; the money is based on your income, so it'll be around 10,000 ducats if you have some modifiers to it from missions). You definitely want to get to them several wars before they get the L4 fort; they tend to keep up on tech fairly closely.

In wars, take forts over other land types once wars start getting longer; they'll make follow up wars much easier and will help defend the captured territory.

Once you get far enough along, coalitions stop happening and all that matters is over-extension. Later on, you'll actually find that you're limited by dip points rather than admin; this happened after taking my 6th idea, Diplomatic, and continues to be a problem, so I switched from admin focus to diplomatic. Try to remember ways to keep dip costs down; the target of the CB is cheaper, so are claims, etc.

Georgia is really, really expensive in Admin points. Take a a few to get around the black sea early on, and then later on you're probably best off taking a province of Armenia's, releasing it as an HRE state, and then feeding them the +coring cost provinces. Likewise with Wallachia. Opposite this, the Berber lands in Africa are cheap as hell; the colony cost reduction neutralizes it and you're left with low development provinces and your cheap coring costs, and you can generally get claims trough missions.

Once you finish with Africa, you'll probably want to annex Iraq and Syria; you'll lose some trade companies but the lower autonomy is crazy.

As far as ideas go, get Admin first, and take the first three - this gives you your first coring idea plus the admin coring idea. Then, you want influence, especially for the reduced AE. Hopefully you get that one before taking anything from Austria. My third idea was humanist, which is a huge help for everything from rebels to the religion disaster after you become protestant. I then went with Offensive; the siege ability is great, so are the leader bonuses and the discipline; it's a very strong group. Mainly, though, the siege ability is what wins it for me, since that means faster wars. I then went Expansion; it was this or Exploration. In my first game I went Exploration, and found with the very long colonist times, it was really underwhelming and I wasn't focusing on the Americas much at all. I went Expansion this game and it's been much more useful; the CB is the main reason. The colonist is useful and the extra trade power helps fund more armies, but largely the entire group isn't very useful other than the CB, which saves thousands of dip points. I then went Diplomatic for the -20% war score cost, and it's an overall useful group; you can use the -10% culture acceptance policy if you'd like, though you probably need the dip points more than anything you'd get from the acceptance. I don't know what my last two groups would be; maybe Quantity and Aristocratic to try for the 1M men achievement?

But yeah, that's what I've been doing. It's December 1st, 1699, and I'm well on my way for a one-tag WC. It's been a fun ride so far, despite the many false starts; my last game got all the way to 1710 and saw that I wasn't going to be able to beat Ming in time. Here's my map:

Of note is that that map is 1,019 provinces, so 1,001 is a really crazy thing to go for.

Of course, you don't have to go HRE, and definitely don't need to go Protestant, but Protestantism is a really good religion, and it's a pretty neat run overall.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is it a bug or did Paradox really intend for the Parliament window to play the Papal States soundbyte?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OneTwentySix posted:

Of note is that that map is 1,019 provinces, so 1,001 is a really crazy thing to go for.

gently caress me, that makes me far less inclined to make another attempt at 1001. Though part of me does kind of want to do a WC just for the novelty of doing it. Anyone have recommendations for doing such a thing as a still Muslim Ottomans? Mostly idea lines is what I'm curious about. I'm assuming I'd want both Religious and Expansion for the CBs, but I don't really want to pass on Humanist to go Religious. So tired of spamming missionaries.

420 Gank Mid posted:

I don't mind this so much, it would get boring going 100 years and never seeing a big coallition form against an AI power. I would like to see lucky nations in particular get more risky with how much AE they're willing to rack up.

It wouldn't be so bad if was medium powers being forced to give up their gains, but it tends to be smaller states and Burgundy getting just annihilated, and never being able to recover.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

gently caress me, that makes me far less inclined to make another attempt at 1001. Though part of me does kind of want to do a WC just for the novelty of doing it. Anyone have recommendations for doing such a thing as a still Muslim Ottomans? Mostly idea lines is what I'm curious about. I'm assuming I'd want both Religious and Expansion for the CBs, but I don't really want to pass on Humanist to go Religious. So tired of spamming missionaries.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The strategy suggested elsewhere in the thread was to block off Africa (with Syria) and the Mid-East/India (with Iraq) from having a direct land connection, so you could take them as distant overseas. I'm literally paying 1 admin per development to core, and they core in like 16 months. The downside is that most of my provinces are worthless - everything I own in Africa has a 75% autonomy minimum. I'm going to rush to grab North Africa and as far down the Horn as feasible quickly, so that I can annex Syria and start getting something out of those provinces. My force limit is only about 70 or so, which bites.

The start is pretty formulaic - recover cores, take Constantinople, etc. I also grabbed Theodoro so I'd be able to force-vassalize Crimea. Then I popped Syria out of AQ when I attacked QQ (who usually vassalizes them), and then used Syria's cores + the Levant mission to grab 100% WS of provinces out of Mamluks. If you rivaled Mamluks and QQ, that's enough PP to coast on (stay above 50) for 30-40 years. I had to swing through the Arabian Peninsula to be able to core stuff that's east of my Iraqi vassal. I vassalized Serbia and fed them most of the Balkans and a bit of Hungary - they're taking a while to annex, but when that finishes I'll be right on the Austrian border.

Mercs are so key. I have 4 mercs with each army stack, and I keep older outdated mercs around to use as siege fodder. I'm basically always full manpower despite being always at war.

OneTwentySix posted:

But yeah, that's what I've been doing. It's December 1st, 1699, and I'm well on my way for a one-tag WC. It's been a fun ride so far, despite the many false starts; my last game got all the way to 1710 and saw that I wasn't going to be able to beat Ming in time. Here's my map:

Of course, you don't have to go HRE, and definitely don't need to go Protestant, but Protestantism is a really good religion, and it's a pretty neat run overall.

What's your max manpower at? I'm trying to get a sense of how easily 1M manpower is going to come - that 367K isn't your max, is it? Well then again I guess your Asian stuff is still cut off there...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jackson Taus posted:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The strategy suggested elsewhere in the thread was to block off Africa (with Syria) and the Mid-East/India (with Iraq) from having a direct land connection, so you could take them as distant overseas. I'm literally paying 1 admin per development to core, and they core in like 16 months. The downside is that most of my provinces are worthless - everything I own in Africa has a 75% autonomy minimum. I'm going to rush to grab North Africa and as far down the Horn as feasible quickly, so that I can annex Syria and start getting something out of those provinces. My force limit is only about 70 or so, which bites.

The start is pretty formulaic - recover cores, take Constantinople, etc. I also grabbed Theodoro so I'd be able to force-vassalize Crimea. Then I popped Syria out of AQ when I attacked QQ (who usually vassalizes them), and then used Syria's cores + the Levant mission to grab 100% WS of provinces out of Mamluks. If you rivaled Mamluks and QQ, that's enough PP to coast on (stay above 50) for 30-40 years. I had to swing through the Arabian Peninsula to be able to core stuff that's east of my Iraqi vassal. I vassalized Serbia and fed them most of the Balkans and a bit of Hungary - they're taking a while to annex, but when that finishes I'll be right on the Austrian border.

Yeah, I'm used to the whole cut off and core for nothing trick, just finished up a Russia game doing just that. Although keeping yourself permanently walled off from all that stuff is counterproductive, especially if you're hurting for forcelimits/manpower; all you need is to not have a land connection, so conquer a big block of land, core it for nothing, then connect it in the next few years.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

PittTheElder posted:

The 1001 isn't quite as bad as my map makes it look; the vast majority of my provinces aren't in Europe and were really easy to get. With more colonists, I could get another 40 or so provinces, there's maybe another 100 provinces in Asia I can grab, Persia is another 30 or so, and Russia and Lithuania bring it to around 250 more provinces I could take, so you should be able to do it ignoring western Europe completely.

Jackson Taus posted:

What's your max manpower at? I'm trying to get a sense of how easily 1M manpower is going to come - that 367K isn't your max, is it? Well then again I guess your Asian stuff is still cut off there...

Max manpower is 375K, but my autonomy is really high pretty much everywhere but the main Ottomans area; I've been at war almost constantly, and after joining the HRE I've been a duchy with no autonomy reduction. Take the 50% from Quantity and the 20% from Aristocratic and that's most of the way there. Once I form the HRE, I'll be an empire again and I'll get a ton of manpower from a Europe that's been spending a lot of its MP on development for a good chunk of the game. Switch to Enlightened Despotism, turn on the -10% cultural acceptance policy to get just about all my cultures accepted and a much better autonomy reduction and it should be a piece of cake; a regular Ottomans would probably be doing a lot better than me in manpower right now, I think, due to being a duchy.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I'm used to the whole cut off and core for nothing trick, just finished up a Russia game doing just that. Although keeping yourself permanently walled off from all that stuff is counterproductive, especially if you're hurting for forcelimits/manpower; all you need is to not have a land connection, so conquer a big block of land, core it for nothing, then connect it in the next few years.

My problem is trying to find incremental vassals I can use along the way to cut off at the right points.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Doesn't need to be a vassal; as long as you can cut a path to the sea, it can just be enemy provinces you haven't taken yet.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

what on earth is the ai doing.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

There is an easier way to do 1001. The key is that any colonized province will never give overextension and the 1001 province achievement does not check for cores. As long as you never core any and never colonize yourself a colonial nation won't form, so just rob the colonizers. Back when I did the achievement 1/3 of my provinces weren't cored.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm gonna apologize in advance if this comes up constantly, but is Common Sense worth it? Its reviews are by far the most negative out of any of the EU4 DLC, but I can't really get a sense of what's wrong with it. I haven't started up a game of EU4 in like five months so I'm just wondering if I should grab it before diving back in.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Common Sense is great. People are upset for really stupid reasons to go with the free patch that came with it, but it makes a ton of things a lot better and more fun overall.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paradoxish posted:

I'm gonna apologize in advance if this comes up constantly, but is Common Sense worth it? Its reviews are by far the most negative out of any of the EU4 DLC, but I can't really get a sense of what's wrong with it. I haven't started up a game of EU4 in like five months so I'm just wondering if I should grab it before diving back in.

it's one of those DLCs like Art of War, where you really can't play without it after trying it out in MP.

In that sense i hate it because i'm poor :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

A lot of people got really angry that Province Development was a paid feature; these people seem to be opposed to any feature being paid, but of course something has to be. But Common Sense is great, worth picking up if you're going to be playing a while.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Cool, thanks. I guess I'll pick it up before losing another 150 hours to this game.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Whoever suggested playing as Genoa, awesome idea. I'm having a blast getting random missions "beat up tunis, beat up this random province in morocco, etc". I'm spread all around AND I managed to beat everyone else to Cape Verde (after stealing Grenada out from under Castille). I had to play it fast and loose by keeping an admin guy then a diplo guy long enough to get the idea up but it was worth it. Now I need to get my RT back up and try not to piss off the ottomans (all my missions are beat up the ottomans so I'm hoping to find someone who can help me)...I was the bosphorus.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

In one of my failed Oman attempts, AI Genoa captured Constantinople off Byzantium and still had it by the time I gave up in 1500 or so.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How did AE change in the beta? I got 200 AE for winning the Hundred years war, which I don't remember happening before.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Somethings things work out. Joined Austria in a minor HRE war just to keep them as allys, my entire army is busy destroying...ahem...turning Morocco into a trade paradise. So this little 6 stack marches in from Hesse or some poo poo, as I get a popup to either lose 10 prestige or spawn a stack of rebels in Genoa. Sucks to be the invading army.

edit:

aww :(

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

How did AE change in the beta? I got 200 AE for winning the Hundred years war, which I don't remember happening before.

There used to be a hard limit on the AE you could get for enforcing a PU. That doesn't exit anymore. Enforcing a PU still generates the lowest AE (20% of annexation) but if the nation is big enough then that is still a lot.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 13, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

Somethings things work out. Joined Austria in a minor HRE war just to keep them as allys, my entire army is busy destroying...ahem...turning Morocco into a trade paradise. So this little 6 stack marches in from Hesse or some poo poo, as I get a popup to either lose 10 prestige or spawn a stack of rebels in Genoa. Sucks to be the invading army.

edit:

aww :(

Probably for the best, since the rebels could maybe siege that province.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played in Western Europe in a long time. Start a game as France, war Provence and make them my vassal...coalitioned by half the HRE, Aragon, England, Burgundy, Italian Countries. Amazing. My guy was caught once fabricating a claim, but that is kind of crazy to me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tsyni posted:

I haven't played in Western Europe in a long time. Start a game as France, war Provence and make them my vassal...coalitioned by half the HRE, Aragon, England, Burgundy, Italian Countries. Amazing. My guy was caught once fabricating a claim, but that is kind of crazy to me.

Provence owns like 5 provinces. Force vassalizing a 5 province European country pre-Reformation is never going to go well. And some of those provinces are in the HRE, I don't know if that penalty applies to taking territory from non-members though.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Did it also give you Lorraine? They start in a PU under Provence and do count as part of the HRE, so you may have inadvertently kicked that hornet's nest.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tendronai posted:

Did it also give you Lorraine? They start in a PU under Provence and do count as part of the HRE, so you may have inadvertently kicked that hornet's nest.

No Lorraine.

PittTheElder posted:

Provence owns like 5 provinces. Force vassalizing a 5 province European country pre-Reformation is never going to go well. And some of those provinces are in the HRE, I don't know if that penalty applies to taking territory from non-members though.

They actually only had 3, since Brittany grabbed one in the middle of the war. None of them were part of the HRE. 46 development though. Anyway...I realize AE is tough in/near the HRE, I was just a bit surprised.

edit: Ok, I just realized what it must have been. I gave Savoy a province of Switzerland and it said it wasn't going to give me AE, but it must have, because I had over 100 AE with all my western AE neighbours.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 14, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah read some of my posts in the last couple of pages to see how quickly you can get coalitioned as France (I had AE penalties as far East as freaking Muscovy for taking a bunch of HRE land on one of my test runs). I finally got my Big Blue Blob run off the ground and it took me allying Poland and Hungary and the HRE immediately imploding to not get coalitioned in the first 15 years. And I still think they probably could've taken me if Castille wasn't stuck in a particularly ugly war with Granada/Morocco.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is the beta going to be unbetad soon?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So how does the game tiebreak elections for the HRE? Like if two powers each have exactly 3 votes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GSD posted:

So how does the game tiebreak elections for the HRE? Like if two powers each have exactly 3 votes.

If one of them is the incumbent, they retain the title. If not, nobody knows.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

PittTheElder posted:

If one of them is the incumbent, they retain the title. If not, nobody knows.

Sweden wins by default.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

OneTwentySix posted:

Node is poo poo compared to this guy

Good god man. You're nuts in the best kind of way.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

GSD posted:

Like most of the mechanics, it works by means of actual voodoo magic.

Paradox didn't give anyone a vacation. They had to go pay tribute to the Shaman who makes the combat system run.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

firestruck posted:

Sweden wins by default.

Actually true because it goes by tag order in case of a tie between two non-Emperors and Sweden is the first (non rebel non native non pirate) tag.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 14, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Wiz posted:

Actually true because it goes by tag order in case of a tie between two non-Emperors and Sweden is the first (non rebel non native non pirate) tag.

In what % of test games does this ever happen?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

420 Gank Mid posted:

In what % of test games does this ever happen?

I've never ever seen it happen. A two-way tie between Emperor candidates is unlikely enough, that one of them is also Sweden is super unlikely.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Trying to get the Chrysanthemum Throne achievement as Hosokawa. Do I need to core anything or will forming Japan give me cores? I've been picking off one or two claimed provinces per engagement, should I be completely annexing if possible?

Only problem I have is that AE prevents me from having any allies at all. I currently own 9 provinces with a military strength of 7, no allies. If I start a war I'll most likely get ganged up on.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
New dev diary about the nation designer this time.

you can save idea sets now :toot: also shooting for more color options and emblems and patterns. I hope they figure out a new interface for picking those if they add a lot of new types, or at least let you toggle them by region or whatever, scrolling through 32 emblems is annoying enough as it is.

no word on modifying existing nations though so I guess that's not gonna be feasible for a while

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So I'd never played Austria before this patch and I tried to remedy that by forming the HRE in beta 1.13, but the whole Emperor interface is really annoying to use in a way that doesn't seem like it's intended to be. Reforms are partially about legitimacy and HRE opinion but the big question is whether or not you're overextended or if you've annexed a vassal and have that modifier. If you're rocking the "annexed vassal" -3 diplo rep modifier, you essentially have no chance of passing a reform regardless of anything else, even if that vassal wasn't even part of the HRE. Overextension, even if it's only like 15% OE, is still enough to cause everyone to vote against reforms.

Granted, I've made a lot of mistakes in this game. Not in terms of getting big, because I've done well, but reforms aren't passing quickly enough (and my heir only got a 1 in admin, so that torpedoed a lot of plans). Also for whatever reason the Hapsburgs are firing blanks and the godless Wittelsbachs are spreading like wildfire. It seems like the only way to successfully reform the HRE is to vassal swarm, avoid taking anything directly, and try to time vassal integration so that it happens immediately after passing a reform. You also can't pass reforms at war, so timing is key. I had a lot of success this game with beating Venice up at the start, and I think next time I'll also try to carve a hole through Hungary to start vassal feeding in the Bosnia area to avoid European AE. If I get lucky I'll save enough admin to get Religious ideas in time, but I don't even know if that will help now that there's that dumb Religious Zeal modifier.

Has anyone played Austria lately? I don't feel like I have a solid plan, and some practical experience would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Prop Wash posted:

Has anyone played Austria lately? I don't feel like I have a solid plan, and some practical experience would be appreciated.

Put National Focus on Admin and leave it that way for a while. Beat up Venice and the Papal State, you want to take and core all their Italian starting provinces minus Venezia itself before 1490 to keep Italy in the HRE. It's expensive but very doable. Once you core Rome and add it to the empire, release Urbino and sell them Rome and any of the other papal provinces you feel like, then cancel vassalization.

Before 1500 you also want to fight a war or two with Burgundy to try and force the inheritance event, not just for the valuable real estate but also because they have a few HRE provinces that are costing you monthly IA. Enforce PU on Hungary unless you're lucky enough to have it fire diplomatically.

During and after you finish conquering Venice and the Papal State, you probably want to expand into southern Italy and the Balkans and work on keeping France in check if they're looking scary.

I'm not sure why the -3 Dip Rep from vassal integration or overextension is killing you. You can buy +1 rep from the Pope, you get hefty bonuses from Austrian NIs and being Emperor, and Influence and/or Diplomatic idea sets are obvious early picks for you. I had like +8-10 reputation very quickly, so integration didn't really hurt much.

In general HRE strategy is the same, get territory back from nonmembers and slap down any princes who get too big, release minors. Demand Unlawful Territory actually works (in the beta, anyway) and is very useful, I was able to get back maybe half the conquests HRE members made. Releasing members however doesn't give you a pile of IA, there are very few ways to get chunks of IA and mostly you're relying on that monthly trickle, so it's a bit slower than previous.

• Locked thread