Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

cheese posted:

Also, the activated AA ability increases your longest range aura dps by a factor of SIX, according to that mechanics breakdown guide. I think this is why US cruisers are so brutal at AA.

This is why I think that the Atlanta is arguably better than the Cleveland at raw AA killing power, at least with DF active. 16 5" DP vs 12.

I cannot wait to see if they add the later model Atlanta (second and third batch, CLs 95-98 and 119-121) with added AA:

NavSource.org posted:

CLASS - JUNEAU (Modified ATLANTA)
Displacement 6,000 Tons, Dimensions, 541' 0" (oa) x 53' 2" x 26' 6" (Max)
Armament 16 x 5"/38AA, 16 x 1.1", 16 x 40mm, 8 x 20mm, 8 x 21" tt.
Armor, 3 3/4" Belt, 1 1/4" Turrets, 1 1/4" Deck, 2 1/2" Conning Tower.
Machinery, 75,000 SHP; Geared Turbines, 2 screws
Speed, 32.7 Knots, Crew 675.

edit: whups, new page - quote added

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Well. It finally happened. The worst matchmaking I've ever seen.

Pretty bad division, too.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Moatman posted:

Well. It finally happened. The worst matchmaking I've ever seen.

Pretty bad division, too.

Bitch, Please.

Everyone on my team just drove into a corner of the map and AFKed.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
What's the third level cruiser skill to take? Nothing seems very useful.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

My go-to is the repair party time reduction unless it's T8-10 where they get the damage repair ability in which case the extra charge skill isn't bad.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I'm going to be sad to see the cross corner spawn, 5 cap point Hot Spot map go away. I must have an 80% win rate on that thing - as long as you aggressively call out for your team to collapse on a corner (the SE corner if you are the SW/NE spawn, the SW corner if you are the SE/NW spawn) and they more or less do that, you win effortlessly. Example...

Step1: We called out to collapse on SW corner, and a few minutes into the game are already doing so.

Step2: 4 minutes later and the match is effectively over. Every ship in the SW is dead to no losses on our side, and their remaining tier 8's can be seen in the very north of the minimap, doing precisely nothing.

Step3: A few more minutes later, a few more ships are mopped up and we win a flawless victory at around the 11 minute remaining mark. The enemy NC, who should have dominated the match, did almost nothing because we collapsed away from him and he did not follow aggressively enough.

RIP cross corner Hot Spot. You were a fast and dirty map, and you will be missed.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Insert name here posted:

The DP guns are deceptively decent at downing planes ever since they buffed them.

This official forum post does a good job of explaining AA.

There's an RNG factor, and guns have varying rates of fire, so there is a sort of alpha strike with dual-purpose guns. You can definitely see it if you watch a Des Moines or Atlanta shooting at planes.

Also worth noticing, unless the author worded it wrong targeting a squadron with control-click is a straight increase to your AA damage: each set of AA guns can only attack one squadron anyway.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

TehKeen posted:

My go-to is the repair party time reduction unless it's T8-10 where they get the damage repair ability in which case the extra charge skill isn't bad.

Dammit, I keep mistaking repair party for the health recovery consumable. Thanks.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Gotta love other cruisers who show their broadsides to my Cleveland. Citadels galore!

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

It's me. I'm the Skycancer. :cripes:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

James Garfield posted:

This official forum post does a good job of explaining AA.

There's an RNG factor, and guns have varying rates of fire, so there is a sort of alpha strike with dual-purpose guns. You can definitely see it if you watch a Des Moines or Atlanta shooting at planes.

Also worth noticing, unless the author worded it wrong targeting a squadron with control-click is a straight increase to your AA damage: each set of AA guns can only attack one squadron anyway.
Yeah I've read that, I was more referring to the fact that I think I can count on one hand how many times DP guns noticably shot down a plane on one hand until they buffed their damage by 50% in 0.3.1.5, and since then they'll actually shoot down planes before they hit your Bofors' range (which is good because the same patch nerfed all 40mm guns).

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Is there a formula for how much health the repair party restores, by the way? The mouseover says it restores 228 HP per second but sometimes I get way less overall health than other times.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Flippycunt posted:

Is there a formula for how much health the repair party restores, by the way? The mouseover says it restores 228 HP per second but sometimes I get way less overall health than other times.
I thought it was a percent of the damage you have taken recently, healing more "light" damage like fire, flooding and HE and less "heavy" damage like AP pens and citadels?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

It's a little wonky I agree, I feel like it restores up to 20% of your hp in light damage/fire/flooding that you've taken since either the beginning of the match or since the last time you used the ability, so if you had 1000hp, take 200 fire damage, repair, it'll heal you for 200. If you took 400 it would put you at 800, and if you don't take any damage between now and you trying to use it again, it does fuckall, but that's from my entirely unscientific observations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Had a game in my Cleveland on North where a Hiryu called me a "retard for driving so deep to shoot him". I was on one of the points shooting at him from ~15/16km. :allears:

Flippycunt posted:

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/7695-dealing-damage-in-wows/

quote:

Repair Party
The Repair Party consumable available on battleships as well as tier IX and X cruisers repairs at a rate of 0.5% of the ship's total HP per second for up to 28 seconds when activated. So the Ibuki with 39k HP for example would be able to recover 195 HP per second for a maximum total of 5460 HP per charge. However, the actual amount recoverable per charge is dependent on the type of damage received.
Damage from over-penetration, fire and flooding is 100% recoverable.
Damage from normal shell penetration/torpedo hits is ~50% recoverable.
Damage from citadel hits is only 10% recoverable.
Therefore it's important to keep track of the damage your ship has suffered and only activate the Repair Party when you know you can recover the maximum amount per charge. An easy way to do this is to memorize the maximum amount your ship can recover (the consumable's tooltip will tell you how many HP per second it can recover) and only activate it after you've taken at least double the amount of damage (unless you are certain they were citadel hits) or to counter fire damage if your Damage Control is on cooldown.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Edit: Well there you go. ^^

I don't think it heals 'heavy' damage at all.

Fully upgraded Fuso is worth the suffering and free xp to get out of the stock hull. This was a weird game. I ended up in the NE of the Ice map trying to be a roadblock to an Iowa, Mogami, and New Orleans that were coming from D towards our carriers. A metal as hell New York rams the Iowa and takes it out. I start shooting at the Mogami and New Orleans until they get behind the ice and a Fuso appears from the north. I have a little duel with the help of torp bombers as the Mogami comes back. It eventually gets really close and I citadel it to death, but not before it sets me on fire over and over. Right before I burn to death, the New Orleans reappears. I shoot then die right before my salvo hits the citadel and kills it.

Replay

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Insert name here posted:

Had a game in my Cleveland on North where a Hiryu called me a "retard for driving so deep to shoot him". I was on one of the points shooting at him from ~15/16km. :allears:

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/7695-dealing-damage-in-wows/

Cool, thanks man.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The listed HP/second is consistent, it always restores that quickly. The maximum HP recovered depends on the type of damage you take: fire and flooding are 100% recoverable, citadel hits 10%, everything else 50% (I think). Torpedoes might also be different.
As far as I recall, time has nothing to do with it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
So regular scout planes can attack bombers. Screws up their speed and accuracy too. I wonder if that's a bug or just a neat side bonus.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Regarding Repair Party, I think you can see how much it will repair beforehand by pressing the ALT key.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

On carriers spotting you, you're absolutely correct, and I referenced that. Squadrons just meandering above destroyers keeping them spotted is a real issue, and one that needs addressing. That said, in most cases for me an ambush has been ruined by floatplanes rather than a carrier. I tend to run into the carrier issue more when I'm actually moving around the map, as I generally try to stay off the common flight paths when picking an ambush spot.
The scout planes are problematic too, but I'm not sure how often they spot torpedoes. I have, however, played CVs, and know just how ridiculous the torpedo spotting range is on them. Also, scout planes can die fairly quickly to even a DD's AA, and they do protect CAs mostly, just further reinforcing the idea of torping BBs over CAs. They're not controllable either, so if you know one is around, you can plan for it. The problem is that its hard TO know, as their detection range is tiny as gently caress.

quote:

Carriers actually killing destroyers, on the other hand is a different matter. Or, in other words, you stated I should play mid/high tier US destroyers before commenting and I return the statement - you should probably play mid/high tier carriers before commenting regarding that. Because at least in the middle tiers, planes fly nowhere near fast enough to even remotely reliably catch a destroyer actually reacting to incoming torpedo planes before they drop, multiple squadrons or no, as generally they're small and nimble enough to dodge through even a weave if they're already reacting as the planes come in. Have I killed destroyers? Yes, quite a few, but almost all of them were sailing in a straight line right up until just before the torpedoes hit. A bunch of people playing destroyers seem to have this idea that torpedo bombers would never target them, and thus don't notice or pay attention that a squadron is making an attack run on them. US torpedo bomber squadrons are slightly different, as their spread is admittedly so tight that even for destroyers dodging through one is tough. But you seem to be conflating multiple squadrons with tight spreads being everywhere, when only the very highest tier US carriers have access to both of those. As for dive bombers, are you serious? I've made plenty of dual squadron attacks on destroyers where not a single bomb out of eight has hit, even when I've had the destroyer perfectly lined up. Can they hit? Yes but it's already an unlikely event, and this just moves it to virtually no chance at all. And again I'll remind you that one of the excuses WG gave for giving people dive bombers over torpedo bombers is that they were more effective against small targets due to there being no obvious ordinance to dodge - a claim which is STILL patently false. I accept they're RNG; I accept that even perfect attack runs by them should not necessarily be hitting all the time, due to said RNG; I DO NOT accept RNG so bad that multiple attack runs by multiple squadrons against a single target in the same game cannot get a single hit on them, despite more than a few of the runs catching him straight on at point of release.
Dive bombers killing DDs is admittedly something I'm not terribly worried about. I can concede dive bombers being perfectly fine as a threat to DDs, even if I still dislike the concept of the remote airplane attack.
I've been getting a lot better at dodging lone torpedo bomber drops, but the problem with an attack by TBs is that even ONE torpedo hit could be immediately fatal to the DD. Crossing torpedo spreads are even deadlier, and also nigh unavoidable. And if its coming from an IJN CV, they can drop these torpedoes pretty drat close, making it even harder to avoid, while the US CVs have such tight torpedo formations that threading through them is a nightmare. And this only gets HARDER with the high tier CVs, as their planes fly faster and have more damaging torpedoes, and more squads to send out, spot you, and kill you on a whim. Like I've said, my leading cause of death in my Fubuki, T8, is CV. Nothing else comes even close.

quote:

Also, and this is calling back to "play more destroyers," while I definitely have more playtime on the IJN ship tree, for the actual classes I have around the same percentage of games in all four - slightly higher in cruisers, slightly lower in CVs and DDs. All are in the 20s though. Especially with CVs, actually playing them and learning how to drop also helps in figuring out how to dodge them. You and many others keep complaining about arming time, but planes are committed to their runs well before the actual drop. Whether the arming distance needs to be increased or not is irrelevant in this specific instance, because destroyers really are nimble enough to thread a even a weave if you react to the actual runs rather than the drop.
Yeah, playing CVs has certainly let me figure out more about how they plan their drops, but it also opened my eyes to just how easy it is for a CV to ruin a DD's day. I had no idea it was so effortless to just spot torps a DD has launched and force them into a horrible situation. And as tiers progress, they become even juicier targets, as they lack the robust AA that CAs or BBs have that can punish squads for attacking them. Attacking a DD carries virtually zero risk to the CV and their squads, with the potential of instant death for the DD on the flip side. I don't like the idea that I'm basically at the mercy of the CV's philosophy regarding opportunity cost.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Why is the St Louis so venerated in this game? I've had one for two weeks and while I think its a decent ship, I found both the Phoenix and especially the Omaha much superior. I've nearly reached the Cleveland and I'm thinking of selling my St Louis and using the Commander in my Cleveland but I just feel like I'm missing something with the St Louis. I typically get 100 hits or more in a match with it but I don't feel like the damage is great. I mostly use HE vs everything.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

kaesarsosei posted:

Why is the St Louis so venerated in this game? I've had one for two weeks and while I think its a decent ship, I found both the Phoenix and especially the Omaha much superior. I've nearly reached the Cleveland and I'm thinking of selling my St Louis and using the Commander in my Cleveland but I just feel like I'm missing something with the St Louis. I typically get 100 hits or more in a match with it but I don't feel like the damage is great. I mostly use HE vs everything.

You need to face charge more, it is glorious :v:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

kaesarsosei posted:

It's because it's a better battleship than any of the "actual" BBs at it's tier.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ok this dumb channel poo poo is getting stupid. There are about 20 channels with "Goon" in it. Yes I found one that accepts the secret squirrel password and have been in there a good portion of today and yet no one is in there.

Can't we just have a normal friggin channel and post in the OP? Would be nice to have a channel that everyone could easily get into so we can play together. Nobody give a gently caress if a pubbie may be there once in a blue moon a steals all our goon secrets.

Don't say join TS because I have been in there the last few days and at most there have been 5 people total in there. Most AFK.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

If you're interested in seeing all the new doodads & stuff, here's how to get onto the test server:

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/041-public-test/

test allegedly starts in about four hours (not sure, they don't specify am/pm or 24hr time) and lasts all weekend

I really really really wanna see what the US AA DDs look like. :)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Don't rage Rage. We had a bunch of dudes on yesterday and well into the evening playing that were in TS. I know because I was on TS most of the afternoon minus the hour or two I took for dinner and run my dogs. I saw you sitting idle in the top channel and did not see you move down where the rest of us were sitting. Even shooting the poo poo with us you can find someone.

I don't control the in-game channel and shitters keep creating more channels that simply don't go away. I guess we can make a new channel and see if it takes hold. I'll create SEAMN with pass goons. I'll post that in the OP but you have been around long enough to understand that goons are not tolerant or accepting of change. ;)

Created.. SEAMN password goons. Added to OP but no promises it will take off.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 13, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

My ships keep switching ammo of their own volition and I don't know why, and usually don't notice until it's too late, ie half a dozen broadsides from a cruiser with no fire -> check and somehow it switched to AP, 3 broadsides from a battleship with no decent penetrations -> check and somehow it's switched to HE

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
You wouldn't fire torpedos: Hit 3 to fire them. Go back to Cannons with 1, and then be suprised to be firing HE instead of AP? Not that this ever happened to me. Nope, never. Not at all. No Sir.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Tank Boy Ken posted:

You wouldn't fire torpedos: Hit 3 to fire them. Go back to Cannons with 1, and then be suprised to be firing HE instead of AP? Not that this ever happened to me. Nope, never. Not at all. No Sir.

I have actually done that in the past, but no, the Wyoming does not have torpedoes to switch to

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I used to do this all the goddamn time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I really wish this next patch addressed giving better rewards for shooting down planes. It would solve so many problems:

AA cruisers would have a great incentive to stay with BBs or CVs.

Fighters would be useful. Having a fighter heavy carrier would give you more potential to shoot down a lot of planes, rewarding you enough to give up on the damage potential of a strike carrier.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Do you get more smoke charges as you go up the tech tree? I'm still working out the new skill tree.

Also, is the Arkansas Beta dogshit or is it just me?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
loving Wargaming closed the ticket I opened about not being able to manage the clan with zero input. All I got was the notification they closed it. Period. Can someone who I have given recruiter status see if they can add one of the 20 goons waiting?

If it still does not work then these fucks censored us w/o giving us an option to fix it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Do you get more smoke charges as you go up the tech tree? I'm still working out the new skill tree.

Not on ship hulls, but Superintendent is what you're looking for.

Yeah probably.

demonR6 posted:

loving Wargaming closed the ticket I opened about not being able to manage the clan with zero input. All I got was the notification they closed it. Period. Can someone who I have given recruiter status see if they can add one of the 20 goons waiting?

If it still does not work then these fucks censored us w/o giving us an option to fix it.

Go to the gaming press and see if we can embarrass them again.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It is canine feces normally, yes, but if you are dumb enough to spend literally millions of credits upgrading it it's ok.

Still has literally no AA and sees tier 6 ships.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Apparently Wakatake is down to 30 seconds turret traverse, Mutsuki is 18, presumably on the upgraded DP guns that you only get two of though.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

demonR6 posted:

Nope, I get an error when I try to accept an app.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

NTRabbit posted:

My ships keep switching ammo of their own volition and I don't know why, and usually don't notice until it's too late, ie half a dozen broadsides from a cruiser with no fire -> check and somehow it switched to AP, 3 broadsides from a battleship with no decent penetrations -> check and somehow it's switched to HE

I've had this before when switching to torpedoes, it switches the ammo type next loaded to HE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Michi88 posted:

I've had this before when switching to torpedoes, it switches the ammo type next loaded to HE.

That's because you pressed 1 to go back to your guns instead of 2 to go back to your guns. As others above have done, I too do this poo poo all the time. I wish there was 1 button for guns, and 1 for torps. Then set two different buttons for switching between the two shell types. I always end up launching torps just to find my guns are now reloading.