Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

pathetic little tramp posted:

Well Carson was #2 in the polls, but we all knew that had to end. Just didn't think it'd be this fast.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/ben-carson-did-medical-research-with-aborted-fetal-tissue-too/

Yeah the right wing sphere is full of negative articles on Carson and Trump at the present. The Trump ones aren't sticking so well, but the Carson ones look like they're getting traction, and in the next debate watch for someone to throw this in his face.

EDIT: Just to add, if they take out Carson most of his support will trickle to Cruz, or Trump. If/When Trump flames out I believe Cruz will be positioned as the "Anti-Establishment guy" polling around 30%...

Montasque fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Well Carson was #2 in the polls, but we all knew that had to end. Just didn't think it'd be this fast.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/ben-carson-did-medical-research-with-aborted-fetal-tissue-too/

I think he'll be able to flip this. He'll claim that he was simply on that paper in an advisory capacity, and due to his experience with it he knows 100% how useless fetal tissue research is. It will end up bolstering his argument.

This assumes he's a decent politician, though. If he fumbles a response to this then it could sink him. It doesn't have to automatically sink him, though. What would sink him is if he says, "it was just once," but then people find a handful more.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

XK posted:

In 2012, there was no clear good choice, but Romney was the reasonably acceptable default choice. They tried out every other possible option, they were all terrible, and had to fall back to him. The same situation exists now, except there is no reasonably acceptable default choice, there's only the "gently caress the rest of you" choice of Trump.

In 2012, no one was excited about or wanted to vote for Romney. I have no doubt that Trump's supporters are not only excited about his candidacy, but can't wait to vote for him, and I don't doubt he is winning over more voters every time he opens his big fat mouth. If he has any chance of holding on to the lead and winning the nomination, it will because of that energy.

I think when Ben Carson flames out, his support will go to mostly Trump, because I can't really understand his appeal. Watching him talk at the debate was a snoozefest, and the only thing I can think of is that him, Fiorina and Trump are the only ones who can truly claim to not be career politicians and outsiders, and Trump is by far the best at it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
September 16th is still more than a month away :negative:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

ErIog posted:

I think he'll be able to flip this. He'll claim that he was simply on that paper in an advisory capacity, and due to his experience with it he knows 100% how useless fetal tissue research is. It will end up bolstering his argument.

This assumes he's a decent politician, though. If he fumbles a response to this then it could sink him. It doesn't have to automatically sink him, though. What would sink him is if he says, "it was just once," but then people find a handful more.

He's not gonna flip poo poo. His "supporters" are loving crazy evangelicals, and they're gonna spend the next week pounding Dr Abortion into the ground.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Can't wait to visit my friend and see if his hugely anti-abortion wife has done anything with those stacks of Run Ben Run! materials.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
#FatLivesMatter

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/conservatives-fall-in-love-with-texas-cop-who-said-black-lives-matter-is-a-hate-group-no-different-than-kkk/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Holyshoot posted:

So just because something terrible happened at the same time as a politician enjoying some R&R they are evil? The gently caress?!?!

It's a well-worn cliché at this point. Remember this?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ErIog posted:

You're talking as if he hasn't already responded. From that same link:

quote:

Carson offered an explanation to The Washington Post of how his work was totally consistent with his pro-life beliefs — but at the same time, it really reads like a much-needed lecture to the public about the vital need for fetal tissue research.

“You have to look at the intent,” Carson told the Post‘s Dave Weigel in New Hampshire. “To willfully ignore evidence that you have for some ideological reason is wrong. If you’re killing babies and taking the tissue, that’s a very different thing than taking a dead specimen and keeping a record of it.”

“When we obtain tissue like that, we want to know what the origin of that tissue is developmentally,” he also said. “Knowing that helps us determine which patients are likely to develop a problem. It’s one of the reasons why at the turn of the last century, the average age of death was 47. Now, the average age of death is 80. Using the information that you have is a smart thing, not a dumb thing.”

Carson also offered his insights of the process pathologists use to gather specimens — which, despite coming from mouth of a conservative presidential candidate, sounds like a pretty compelling defense of fetal tissue research and the people who do it.

“Bear this in mind about pathologists,” Carson clarified. “Regardless of what their ideology is, when they receive tissue, they prepare the tissue. They label it. They mark how it got there. Regardless of whether it’s from a fetus or someone who’s 150 years old, they bank them in tissue blocks. Other people doing comparative research need to have a basis. When pathologists receive a specimen, their job is to prepare the specimen. They have no job opining on where the tissue came from.”

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

He's not gonna flip poo poo. His "supporters" are loving crazy evangelicals, and they're gonna spend the next week pounding Dr Abortion into the ground.

My family are these people. You underestimate how much they love Carson. My point is kind of moot, though, because he's giving honest answers instead of politic answers. So yeah, he's done.

quote:

"You have to look at the intent," Carson told The Washington Post's Dave Weigel before he began a campaign swing through New Hampshire. "To willfully ignore evidence that you have for some ideological reason is wrong. If you’re killing babies and taking the tissue, that’s a very different thing than taking a dead specimen and keeping a record of it."

If you had to re-read that once or twice, you're not alone. It's a very complex -- and politically charged -- issue.

Carson appears to be saying that the fetal tissue he used for research didn't come from fetuses aborted specifically for use in medical research. He also appears to accuse Planned Parenthood of doing just that. But that's a charge Planned Parenthood has flatly rejected and isn't proven by the videos.
"And if you go back over the years, and look at the research that has been done and all the things that it was supposed to deliver, very little of that has been done, and there’s nothing that can’t be done without fetal tissue," Carson said.

--jump--

On Thursday, though, Carson told Weigel that the use of fetal tissue shouldn't be banned and declined to say whether Planned Parenthood should stop providing fetal tissue for medical research. So one one hand, Carson said the use of fetal tissue doesn't produce results and is interchangeable with less morally fraught materials, and on the other he used it himself and now says it shouldn't be banned.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/08/13/ben-carsons-tortured-defense-of-his-research-with-fetal-tissue/

This refusal to support bans on fetal tissue research and him giving a mealy-mouthed defense of his own use of fetal tissue is what's going to sink him. The fact that he did the research wouldn't have sunk him if he had any political skills.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
He's a doctor, I guess the one thing he can't compromise his ethics on is something medical.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Republicans on their way out soon:

Ben Carson
Rick Perry
Rand Paul(?)

who else?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

MrBims posted:

Republicans on their way out soon:

Ben Carson
Rick Perry
Rand Paul(?)

who else?

Jim Gilmore
Rick Santorum
George Pataki

I think Carson might stick around for a few more debates.

comedy option: Lincoln Chaffee

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I'm thinkin' it's going to come down to Trump, Rubio, Cruz, and Jeb!

Rubio ultimately takes the nomination

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Nastier Nate posted:

Jim Gilmore
Rick Santorum
George Pataki

I think Carson might stick around for a few more debates.

comedy option: Lincoln Chaffee

Arguably they were never really in.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So some time next month the republican field will be 12-14 white guys with different flavours of horrible, 1 failed business woman and the most luxurious, yoogest Donald "Offend everyone" Trump?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

JT Jag posted:

He's a doctor, I guess the one thing he can't compromise his ethics on is something medical.

I think in his view he has never compromised his ethics because he believes, reasonably, that he didn't perform the abortion himself so god would probably be okay with conducting research on the fetal tissue in order to try to do something positive with it. There's no room for things like "reason" in the GOP primary, though, so he's gonna get hosed unless he starts to give political answers instead of real answers.

He's mostly a normal guy who let the moment get the better of him at the Prayer Breakfast a few years ago, and then had legions of people screaming at him to run for office since then. He seems like a nice man with dumb political beliefs that doesn't understand that it's going to be very difficult for him to square his nuanced medical background with the GOP primary clownshow.

He's just too gosh darn earnest. People say they want an outsider, but it turns out that outsiders get torn to shreds since they don't understand the game. Carson is a true outsider, and his political advisers, provided they exist, should be on suicide watch.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 13, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Der Kyhe posted:

So some time next month the republican field will be 12-14 white guys with different flavours of horrible, 1 failed business woman and the most luxurious, yoogest "Offend everyone" Donald "Please don't feel so stupid or insecure" Trump?

If there is a kind and loving god.

hail satan

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Arguably they were never really in.

That's what they said about Carly Fiorinia and look at her now - soaring into the limelight with 3.5%!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Will Carson crashing and burning lead the other campaigns to prop up Fiorina harder? It seems like a necessity to keep the field looking diverse.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

So some time next month the republican field will be 12-14 white guys with different flavours of horrible, 1 failed business woman and the most luxurious, yoogest Donald "Offend everyone" Trump?

Is hitting the republicans for running too many white people really the play here guys?

(btw you glossed over a latino and an indian as "white", well done)

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Is hitting the republicans for running too many white people really the play here guys?

lmao you think jindal is staying in

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Montasque posted:

Yeah the right wing sphere is full of negative articles on Carson and Trump at the present. The Trump ones aren't sticking so well, but the Carson ones look like they're getting traction, and in the next debate watch for someone to throw this in his face.

EDIT: Just to add, if they take out Carson most of his support will trickle to Cruz, or Trump. If/When Trump flames out I believe Cruz will be positioned as the "Anti-Establishment guy" polling around 30%...

As with every major black politician in the GOP, they're just waiting for the first *not racist* reason to drop them.

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Abner Cadaver II posted:

lmao you think jindal is staying in

i seriously forgot he was running

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
This is the most attention anyone has paid to Bobby Jindal in months.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

The Lord of Hats posted:

Will Carson crashing and burning lead the other campaigns to prop up Fiorina harder? It seems like a necessity to keep the field looking diverse.

Magic 8-ball says yes. Fiormentum has begun.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
If only we could capture some of the rich ethnic tapestry that comprise the democratic primary candidates.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

If only we could capture some of the rich ethnic tapestry that comprise the democratic primary candidates.

man you guys are really desperate for your own obama

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

There's only so much they can do to help her. If the voters turn on her she's done.

Prediction: By the next debate Walker, Rubio and Trump will be the 3 main contenders with about 60% combined in the polls. Jeb! and cruz with 10% each and the other 20 spread out between 5 or 6 random losers. The other 5 or 6 losers having quit, like losers.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Wow somebody here has nt seen the official bobby jindal portrait

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I think some posters in this thread are forgetting about a little thing called Kasicceleration

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

bpower posted:

There's only so much they can do to help her. If the voters turn on her she's done.

Prediction: By the next debate Walker, Rubio and Trump will be the 3 main contenders with about 60% combined in the polls. Jeb! and cruz with 10% each and the other 20 spread out between 5 or 6 random losers. The other 5 or 6 losers having quit, like losers.

That might be what the field looks like 6 months from now, but the next debate is only a month away. It looks like they're overtly putting pressure on Jim Gilmore to drop out, and Carson may just give up soon, but I doubt anyone else will have dropped out by then.

VV Edit: He the best compromise candidate between the establishment and the crazies, and the Koch brothers have pledged to spend $500mil if he gets the nod. Basically the establishment has to prop up someone who isn't complete anathema to the base as a top-tier contender, or risk exposing the primary process for the farce it is.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 13, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Wasn't all the post-debate coverage of Walker negative? Doesn't seem like anyone is pushing him particularly hard and that Rubio/Jeb!/Trump have a much better chance of being on top for the long-term.

Doesn't help that his state is hosed and he's still the governor, while Kasich is doing fine.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Yes, you're correct of course. My imagination ran on a bit there.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

Wasn't all the post-debate coverage of Walker negative? Doesn't seem like anyone is pushing him particularly hard and that Rubio/Jeb!/Trump have a much better chance of being on top for the long-term.

Doesn't help that his state is hosed and he's still the governor, while Kasich is doing fine.

Generally, yeah, the post-debate consensus was that Walker didn't do all that great.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When is New Hampshire this cycle.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Kasich is hilarious. It feels like he's a time traveler from a different primary year. Huntsman had a similar feel.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

euphronius posted:

When is New Hampshire this cycle.

february 9th, second one after iowa as usual

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Rubio is really white though, and there is palatable animosity between Cuban-Americans and other Latinos precisely because of their white supremacist undertones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abner Cadaver II posted:

february 9th, second one after iowa as usual

Dear god we have five and a half months to go.

• Locked thread