Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

"You can be gay, but you gotta be sure you're not too gay."

Dienes posted:

I teach graduate level psych courses. They absolutely do try to use it out of the assignment. And then the alternate assignment. And then the alternate alternate assignment. If you can't handle someone being inappropriate in any way, you are in the wrong field. :argh:

Breaking news: People try and weasel their way out of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ah, good old conservative "[civil rights thing I hate] was ok in the form it took 50 years ago, but now it's gone too far!"

As I've said before, I can't wait until Obama is the model that activists decades from now are failing to live up to.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They are lying shits.

They don't care about how Sensible or polite a protest is they hate anything that implies the status quo isn't good.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

They are lying shits.

They don't care about how Sensible or polite a protest is they hate anything that implies the status quo isn't good.

Oddly, the guy who posted is gay, but he's posted similar stuff before about how sleeping around or grindr or whatever are holding back the movement :shrug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One's a march against oppression, and the other is a carnival?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Oddly, the guy who posted is gay, but he's posted similar stuff before about how sleeping around or grindr or whatever are holding back the movement :shrug:

Yes, because the best way to advance the cause of civil rights for a minority group is to become exactly like the majority. Right?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's saying "please don't bother us and eventually we'll get around to giving you equal rights, we promise. Don't ask why we haven't done that for over a hundred years while you waited before though. It's totally coming."

The amount of people I know that fall for the idea that if oppressed people are just polite and quiet enough their oppressors will decide to stop oppressing is really staggering once I started paying attention.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also, straight people can act the fool at mardi gras and no one talks about how maybe that shows they can't be trusted with human rights...hmmmm...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Spot the difference: The people in the top picture have signs with aggressive and violent language on them.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Also, straight people can act the fool at mardi gras and no one talks about how maybe that shows they can't be trusted with human rights...hmmmm...

Yeah you never see people caring about this for instance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8sNZ8rvmco :nws:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Spot the difference: The people in the top picture have signs with aggressive and violent language on them.

Seriously how do these people not remember that our original 'protests' and poo poo were loving riots? I'd say some dudes in rainbow speedos are a big step up form 'ok I guess we're gonna have to fight cops again today'!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Decided to make a honeypot post on my facebook, brought out all the flies.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mordiceius posted:

We demand more trap posts. :getin:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Mordiceius posted:

I deal with this poo poo enough on a weekly basis so I don't need to honeypot for it. Jesus christ some people don't understand that the world isn't zero sum. By ascending some to the status quo does not take your rights away.

http://fusion.net/story/170591/the-next-time-someone-says-all-lives-matter-show-them-these-5-paragraphs/

Also:

Klaus88 posted:

We demand more trap posts. :getin:

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 13, 2015

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Does ... does Kevin not know how water works?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
All fires are grease fires in Kevin's life

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Tatum Girlparts posted:

All fires are grease fires in Kevin's life

im die

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

"The water spreads and the other house catches on fire"

Efb, whoops

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There are some fires where you would need to protect the adjacent houses more than you would need to fight the fire in the main one, but that's usually when you've written off the main property and are just doing damage control.

I hope that's not his view of black lives. :ohdear:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Guavanaut posted:

There are some fires where you would need to protect the adjacent houses more than you would need to fight the fire in the main one, but that's usually when you've written off the main property and are just doing damage control.

I hope that's not his view of black lives. :ohdear:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Mordiceius posted:

Please respond with "How does fire work?"

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Mordiceius posted:

Aside from the "how does fire work" angle, I like that "people getting literally murdered by the police with no consequences" is just "negativity."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Nolanar posted:

Aside from the "how does fire work" angle, I like that "people getting literally murdered by the police with no consequences" is just "negativity."

Yeah, working back from the metaphor, what exactly is the water in this situation that needs to be diverted away from all the black kids getting shot by police with no consequences, and how would focusing efforts to rectify that problem negatively impact anything else?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Nolanar posted:

Or that respecting black lives as much as any other is tantamount to degrading white lives. If you stop viewing black people as criminals it isn't going to start making cops shoot more white people because they need to keep up their 'Felt threatened' quotas.

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, working back from the metaphor, what exactly is the water in this situation that needs to be diverted away from all the black kids getting shot by police with no consequences, and how would focusing efforts to rectify that problem negatively impact anything else?

It doesn't and that's the point that Kevin misses entirely.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
That was kind of the point I was trying to make.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

That was kind of the point I was trying to make.

Pointedly noted. :ese:

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
My neighbor's house caught on fire, the fire department did not spray water on my house.

Edit rather than double posting:

borkencode fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 13, 2015

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm sure they'll start applying "a job is a job" to soldiers and the police any time now.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

borkencode posted:

My neighbor's house caught on fire, the fire department did not spray water on my house.

Edit rather than double posting:

So this is pro-living wage then, right?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

The Dark One posted:

This is a pretty good response to that dumb Atlantic trigger warning piece.

Listen, exposure therapy for PTSD administered by non-mental-health-professionals works great. Just ask Chris Kyle.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Davethulhu posted:

So this is pro-living wage then, right?

BEG FOR SCRAPS OR STARVE

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Wow, didn't think I'd see anyone looking back at the Depression fondly.

Why don't people kiss my feet when I offer them minimum wage for poo poo work? :qq:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Timeline of Ronald Raegan's Life.

quote:

1926 - Reagan takes a job as lifeguard in Lowell Park, two miles away from Dixon, on the Rock River. (In all fairness, he was apparently drat good at this, saving 77 people over seven summers.)

1932 - Within six weeks of graduating from Eureka, Reagan finds work at WOC radio in Davenport, Iowa.

1937 - Reagan becomes a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army Officers Reserve Corps of the Cavalry. A Warner Brothers agent discovers him and offers him a seven-year studio contract. After his first film, "Love Is on the Air," in which Reagan plays a radio personality who uncovers corruption, Reagan will go on to star in more than 50 more films.

1941 - U.S. at war. Reagan drafted into the army. Nearsighted vision keeps him away from the front. He is assigned to the Motion Picture Army Unit in Culver City to make training and propaganda films.

1952 - Reagan's movie career falters. Financially strapped, Reagan is forced to take a job as an emcee in Vegas, introducing singing quartet "The Continentals."

1959 - During his last term as president of the Screen Actors Guild, Reagan fights for, and achieves, better benefits and working conditions for actors. (I thought they should have just been happy to have a job?)

1966 - Reagan elected by almost 1 million votes more than incumbent Democratic governor Edmund G. ("Pat") Brown.

Well, if anyone ever knew anything about having to do menial work, Ronald Reagan sure did!

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 13, 2015

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

BEG FOR SCRAPS OR STARVE

Rick_Hunter posted:

:black101: WORK TO EAT :black101:
:black101: WORK TO DEATH :black101:
:black101: WORK TO EAT :black101:
:black101: WORK TO DEATH :black101:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Who the gently caress knew They Live was a documentary rather then a scifi film staring a professional wrestler? :smithicide:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Klaus88 posted:

Who the gently caress knew They Live was a documentary rather then a scifi film staring a professional wrestler? :smithicide:

I'm waiting for the 10 minute pointless fight scene, personally.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

OAquinas posted:

I'm waiting for the 10 minute pointless fight scene, personally.

It wasn't pointless. (Though it was an even bigger deal if you read into the homoerotic subtext.)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
A lot of people complain about the wording of "Black Lives Matter" but I wonder, what if they'd made a minor change:
"Do Black Lives Matter?"

I think hits to the heart of the issue better. We want to say yes, but the evidence says we don't act like it.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

So I was looking at a facebook post about a restaurant famous for throwing rolls being sued for medical bills from someone hit by one, where I stumbled on a textbook "I'm not racist, but."

Decided to click through to his public profile and ran across this gem.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lansdowne posted:

Decided to click through to his public profile and ran across this gem.

:stare:
The red represents the blood of Christ.
The blue represents the St. Andrews cross.
The white represents the people who have rights.