Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Management posted:

Google rapidly lost interest. it never worked well, but they let the network rot until it became totally unusable. they never upgraded the equipment. all the plans MV had around using the network fell through because it was so bad. any yet anywhere you went you could see the Google wifi ssid, taunting you.

And every landlord still advertises it as The Free Wifi to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Progressive JPEG posted:

And every landlord still advertises it as The Free Wifi to this day

lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

four Gs in the alphabet

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

duTrieux. posted:

four Gs in the alphabet

Capital, Google
Ventures, Google
X, Google

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

more like microsoft every loving day.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Management posted:

mountain view learned their lesson from google wifi, they're not letting google try that again.
http://www.mv-voice.com/news/2014/09/26/google-fiber-gets-go-ahead

Mountain View Voice posted:

Fri, Sep 26, 2014, 1:48 pm

Progress is being made in bringing Mountain View the ultra fast Internet access promised by Google Fiber, according to an agreement announced Tuesday.

After a closed-door meeting about Google Fiber on Tuesday, City Attorney Jannie Quinn said is moving ahead with plans to license Google Fiber network "huts" -- box-like structures which require 1,400 square feet of land and would be placed around Mountain View to serve 20,000 homes each. City officials previously reported that three of the huts may need to be placed on city land.

Mayor Chris Clark said that the agreement doesn't mean Mountain View has been chosen as one of the cities Google where will build the network, though that announcement may come by the end of the year.

"Council endorses the terms of a hut license agreement and expresses continued support for moving forward with Google Fiber in the city of Mountain View," Quinn said in her announcement.

Google proposed to work with the city to build the network in February as it announced it would shut down the free WiFi system that had covered all of Mountain View, a gift it gave the city in 2006. It's unclear when the Google Fiber deal will be done or how long it will take to install the network, but Google Fiber could bring residents a speed similar to what most enjoy now (5 megabits per second) for no monthly fee, but there would be a one-time $300 construction fee. Comcast now charges anywhere from $30 a month to more than $70 for such service. Ultra-fast Internet (1 gigabit per second) would cost $70 a month or $120 a month if it includes TV services.
I pay 85 dollars a month for just comcast internet here.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yaos posted:

This guy declared bankruptcy and was last seen begging for money on the streets in Seattle. He was arrested for begging without a license.

I was at altavista when cmgi bought them, it was a total shitshow

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShadowHawk posted:

you'd probably pay less for a bundle

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

computer parts posted:

you'd probably pay less for a bundle
bizness class internet

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ShadowHawk posted:

http://www.mv-voice.com/news/2014/09/26/google-fiber-gets-go-ahead

same

oooh can't wait

i'm glad that i helped vote out the old city council people

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

same

oooh can't wait

i'm glad that i helped vote out the old city council people
Do you know if Mountain View is a "dig once" city? Ie whenever road work is done you're supposed to lay fiber/conduit across it?

I see an awful lot of unrelated water-main digging and such going on around town, I hope fiber just happens to appear as a side-effect. But I'm not actually sure.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ShadowHawk posted:

Do you know if Mountain View is a "dig once" city? Ie whenever road work is done you're supposed to lay fiber/conduit across it?

I see an awful lot of unrelated water-main digging and such going on around town, I hope fiber just happens to appear as a side-effect. But I'm not actually sure.

not that i've heard

but the only project that i've had a direct hand in there was just sidewalks along central expressway

tho i can tell you that from what i've seen walkin around Castro the DPW has been doin a lotta water main/meter, stormwater/drainage, and gas service stuff lately and has only been sawcutting and patching the affected areas - which aren't viable locations for fiber placement (can't lay a run of an underground utility on top of another one since you wouldn't be able to maintain it)

full-depth roadway replacement sites would be where to look - if you see any where they're digging out the gravel from underneath the removed pavement let me know and i'll ask around

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
oh yeah and the trenches that they're sawcutting out for the utilities work that i've seen seem to be the standard size - nothing looks like fiber runnin parallel

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they dug up main street to lay some new stuff a while back. I think it was gas. but it was going with the roadway so it created this nice gouge down the entire road right where ur right tire is. they're doing more work now so the hope is once its all done they resurface the entire road to get rid of all the mismatched pavement from all the cuts. that would be nice.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShadowHawk posted:

bizness class internet

so you're paying for consistency, not speed

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
sometimes i look at the business class internet page and think about getting it to pull some non-essential things outta colo and host them from home. imagine the blinkenlights

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

computer parts posted:

so you're paying for consistency, not speed

Yeah pretty much I am a serious computer professional and the internet must be reliable

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/13/dell-chromebook-13/

sexy

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

they almost made a 13" macbook pro

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

how is it apple is the only company that's figured out that the trackpad and screen don't need to be the same aspect ratio

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

qirex posted:

how is it apple is the only company that's figured out that the trackpad and screen don't need to be the same aspect ratio

they probably have a patent on it

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

computer parts posted:

they probably have a patent on it don't actively hate their customers

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
no it's probably a patent

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
they definitely have a patent on trackpads that don't suck

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i think the patent might be a willingness to spend $0.23 more per unit

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

thanks google

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

THC posted:

thanks google

oh man i was trying to think up a funny sentence for the acronym but its literally "i will always love video games" isnt it? thats shameful as heck

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

THC posted:

thanks google

thanks 4 revealing your bad taste and pitiful viewing habits i guess.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*man who has watched 420 hours of gamer gate videos and also reADS mra pua forums non-stop* Google gives me such poo poo suggestions. Stormfront? C'mon Google! Get a clue! *reclines in desk chair to reveal portly gut oozing out of star wars t-shirt with swastica tattoo on belly*

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

THC posted:

thanks google

offtopic but lol @ "this person with 3 arrows pointing to her isn't worth paying attention to"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Plank Walker posted:

offtopic but lol @ "this person with 3 arrows pointing to her isn't worth paying attention to"

^^^ same, but you ^^^

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Smythe posted:

*man who has watched 420 hours of gamer gate videos and also reADS mra pua forums non-stop* Google gives me such poo poo suggestions. Stormfront? C'mon Google! Get a clue! *reclines in desk chair to reveal portly gut oozing out of star wars t-shirt with swastica tattoo on belly*

no google is the fail rear end company that when u watch a hilarious video of one dude getting hit in the balls, it floods u with HOT BALL PUNCHING ACTION ALL FREE BOW TO THE PAIN MISTRESS FOR YOUR DAILY DOSE OF COCK FLATTENING AND BALL RATTLING SHES READY TO GO TEN ROUNDS IN THE RING WITH YOUR HAIRY DANGLIES NOW YOU CAN NEVER OPEN YOUTUBE AROUND STRANGERS OR THEYLL THINK YOURE INTO ROCKEM SOCKEM TESTES

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

HOT BALL PUNCHING ACTION ALL FREE BOW TO THE PAIN MISTRESS FOR YOUR DAILY DOSE OF COCK FLATTENING AND BALL RATTLING SHES READY TO GO TEN ROUNDS IN THE RING WITH YOUR HAIRY DANGLIES NOW YOU CAN NEVER OPEN YOUTUBE AROUND STRANGERS OR THEYLL THINK YOURE INTO ROCKEM SOCKEM TESTES

text me

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Snapchat A Titty posted:

^^^ same, but you ^^^

that's 6 arrows :owned:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no google is the fail rear end company that when u watch a hilarious video of one dude getting hit in the balls, it floods u with HOT BALL PUNCHING ACTION ALL FREE BOW TO THE PAIN MISTRESS FOR YOUR DAILY DOSE OF COCK FLATTENING AND BALL RATTLING SHES READY TO GO TEN ROUNDS IN THE RING WITH YOUR HAIRY DANGLIES NOW YOU CAN NEVER OPEN YOUTUBE AROUND STRANGERS OR THEYLL THINK YOURE INTO ROCKEM SOCKEM TESTES

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

u dumbass

smythe isnt in to ball punching

he is all about fat chicks grinding their stilleto heels into unprotected nutsacks while the man howls in pain

do your research next time

FMguru fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 15, 2015

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ROCKEM SOCKEM TESTES

Patent pending bitch you'll be hearing from my lawyers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Plank Walker posted:

that's 6 arrows :owned:

that means ignore you double-time fucker

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

was there a jackass sketch where they put their dicks into a rockem sockem robots game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ROCKEM SOCKEM TESTES is 20 letters :smith:

• Locked thread