Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mantis42 posted:

I mean if David Lynch can edit a bunch of episodes from an unaired tv series and turn it into one of the best films of the 2000s, I'm sure he can do the reverse and turn a movie into a tv show.

Which movie are we talking about here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Which movie are we talking about here?

Mulholland Dr. was initially a television pilot, believe it or not. The last 45 or so minutes were added onto to it so it could become a feature film after the series it would have been wasn't picked up.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Cool thanks for the tip.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Raxivace posted:

Mulholland Dr. was initially a television pilot, believe it or not. The last 45 or so minutes were added onto to it so it could become a feature film after the series it would have been wasn't picked up.

It was also originally pitched as an Audrey Horne spinoff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

esperterra posted:

It was also originally pitched as an Audrey Horne spinoff.

Honestly I don't think Audrey being the lead would have added much to the film. That seems like more the kind of thing Tarantino would have done, and not someone like Lynch.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Raxivace posted:

I knew Mulholland Drive was a failed pilot. Thing is, that's not editing several episodes of a TV show into a movie. That's bolting 45 minutes onto the end of the TV show. And while he did use an interesting twist in having all the actors switch places, I don't think that really indicates that he can take 15 hours of film written as a continuous narrative and turn it into 15 episodes of TV in editing.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The idea kind of reminds me of Lars von Trier's Kingdom. That show was initially shown as two crazy 4-5 hour films, and later cut and re-edited into eleven episodes. I think it's amazing, personally. If Lynch knows what he's doing, it will be one hell of a Twin Peaks film. If he doesn't, well, it's still going to be one hell of a Twin Peaks film. :v:

There really isn't any downside to this unless you're somehow worried about viewers getting bored and confused. Seems like a great opportunity for Lynch to tell a story without being bogged down by the episodic format.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I knew Mulholland Drive was a failed pilot. Thing is, that's not editing several episodes of a TV show into a movie. That's bolting 45 minutes onto the end of the TV show. And while he did use an interesting twist in having all the actors switch places, I don't think that really indicates that he can take 15 hours of film written as a continuous narrative and turn it into 15 episodes of TV in editing.

I'd say you're somewhat underselling what Lynch did with MD, but I agree with your larger point that it's different than turning 15 hours of film into 15 TV episodes or whatever (I think it's 18 episodes now, right?). Hopefully Mark Frost's presence can help structure this thing though.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Mark Frost being around should definitely help. A lot of the more straight forward plot stuff in the first season was all him. With the two of them together hopefully there will be form and off the wall weirdness.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Raxivace posted:

Well...the series finale kind of throws a wrench into the explanation the show gives for the murder, by having the Killer's Doppelganger claim they weren't actually the one that killed Laura, implying that it was purely the Killer themself, and the movie only continues to explore that idea to a degree.

I actually took the film's position on the matter to be that while BOB was definitely the devil on Leland's shoulder, Leland himself was far from blameless in the murder and abuse of his own daughter.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I actually took the film's position on the matter to be that while BOB was definitely the devil on Leland's shoulder, Leland himself was far from blameless in the murder and abuse of his own daughter.

I think it depends on what chunk of the series you're looking at, and who the main creative force was behind it at the time. Lynch certainly takes your view in the finale and FWWM (And the story is better with his interpretation IMO), but I feel like some of the non-Lynch episodes more or less use BOB as a kind of scapegoat for Leland's culpability.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Leland was a corporate lawyer for the super powerful whitest dude in town (Confederacy apologist Ben Horne)

BOB was feeding off all the evil and suffering and amplifying it by possessing him and abusing Laura (to make her a more charged vessel for tormenting men)

He went to his back-up host, Dale Cooper - FBI Agent. Lots of potential for suffering there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Leland's doppelganger says that he didn't kill Laura because he didn't, Bob did. He just said that to Cooper because Cooper was confused and obviously thought it was the real Leland. I don't think Leland's doppelganger has ever left the Lodge, Bob and the doppelgangers are separate entities.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I personally thought the end of the series at first was that was the Dale Doppleganger wasn't like Dale's Evil side, but more like Bob sending himself off after Dale. Dale was pretty much willing to die for Annie's sake, and that let Bob take over/possess him.

Anyway, I've just finished watching all of Twin Peaks and FWWM in the past few days, and while it's definitely all very good, I have to say in the end I honestly just did not give that much of a gently caress about Laura Palmer, and really enjoyed the spooky metaphysical evil whatnots, and I found that a lot of the soap-opera-y bits dragged when they got kind of far away from it.

Also that episode of Psych is a lot funnier now that I get more of the references. I really should've watched the show sooner.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SpookyLizard posted:

Anyway, I've just finished watching all of Twin Peaks and FWWM in the past few days, and while it's definitely all very good, I have to say in the end I honestly just did not give that much of a gently caress about Laura Palmer, and really enjoyed the spooky metaphysical evil whatnots, and I found that a lot of the soap-opera-y bits dragged when they got kind of far away from it.

I didn't care all that much about her until I saw FWWM. That movie just makes me want to reach through the screen to try to help her but she's beyond help, its goddamn depressing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Laura might be even more boring than James

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Laura might be even more boring than James

Let's not say thing we can't take back.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Let's not say thing we can't take back.

Well maybe not that bad but honestly I found her on the low end of compelling compared to many others in the story.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I didn't care all that much about her until I saw FWWM. That movie just makes me want to reach through the screen to try to help her but she's beyond help, its goddamn depressing.

The one thing of Laura that always gets me is the part in, I think either the episode where her killer is caught or the one before, when Donna reads the page from her secret diary that's something like, "I just want someone to believe me, even if it's just you, diary." That line plus Donna's reaction to reading it always hits me.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

my favorite line from laura is "i'm gone, like a turkey in the corn. gobble gobble gobble"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sheryl Lee was scary great as Laura and Maddie and it is a travesty she didn't get more work, shame about her health as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've only seen Sheryl Lee in one or two other things outside of Twin Peaks but she's always been really good, it is weird she didn't get more and bigger roles. She's one of the best things about John Carpenter's Vampires, which isn't a perfect film by any means, but her performance in it really stands out.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cary Elwes is my personal "How did they not become a mega star" person

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mine are Mickey Rourke and Val Kilmer, though their careers are basically the result of self sabotage

E: I mean, compare Mickey Rourke and Matt Dillon's portrayals of Charles Bukowski. Dillon looks and acts like a pretty boy slumming it for a weekend. Rourke is a legit bum.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 16, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Basebf555 posted:

I've only seen Sheryl Lee in one or two other things outside of Twin Peaks but she's always been really good, it is weird she didn't get more and bigger roles. She's one of the best things about John Carpenter's Vampires, which isn't a perfect film by any means, but her performance in it really stands out.

It's weird, because she was basically cast in a bit part in Twin Peaks, and was so good Lynch just kept giving her more poo poo between Maddie and FWWM.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 16, 2015

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

esperterra posted:

Sheryl Lee was scary great as Laura and Maddie and it is a travesty she didn't get more work, shame about her health as well.

I think she was best as doppleganger Laura.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Basebf555 posted:

She got very sick and it made it near impossible for her to work, but that was in like

Basebf555 posted:

She has some blood disease that kept her from working much, but that was in like 04 or 07 when it turned up. drat shame she didn't get much work between that and Peaks.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember being sad when I saw that she did random splicer voices in BioShock 2, just thinking what a place to end up after her career start.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember being sad when I saw that she did random splicer voices in BioShock 2, just thinking what a place to end up after her career start.

Wow, I quite like BioShock 2 but that kind of role is just...not where she should be.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Chairman Capone posted:

Well she'll probably be in Twin Peaks 2017, so that's good right?

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well she'll probably be in Twin Peaks 2017, so that's good right?

She's going to play Laura's red haired cousin, who was smart enough to stay the gently caress away from the town of Twin Peaks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RALF posted:

She's going to play Laura's red haired cousin, who was smart enough to stay the gently caress away from the town of Twin Peaks.

Identical triplet cousins?! :monocle:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Only Lynch could pull it off, but I'm confident he could!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Solice Kirsk posted:

If Patty Duke could do it, Lynch certainly can.

I just hope she's not from Missoula, Montana.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So is everyone just having sex with everyone else? I swear every single plot point so far has been "sleeping with so many other people". Does this ever change? Is it just a sex show?

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 19, 2015

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

No one has sex with Cooper.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Welcome to soaps.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ramadu posted:

So is everyone just having sex with everyone else? I swear every single plot point so far has been "sleeping with so many other people". Does this ever change? Is it just a sex show?

there is no evil in the woods. the secret of the show is that you're seeing everyone's dementia from terminal syphilis.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Surlaw posted:

You are ruining my fanfics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Surlaw posted:

Nor the Log Lady, who seems fulfilled enough with her large piece of wood.

• Locked thread