Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Boosted_C5 posted:

Hell, I bet Ted Cruz would gladly run on the ticket with Trump if this happened, that self-aggrandizing gently caress.

But at that point, would Trump let him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

blue squares posted:

would there be any real negative consequences to the liberal states seceding peacefully?

it's always cool to watch blue staters stroke themselves over how much more moral they are than all those barbarians in the red states while fantasizing about removing the most heavily minority-populated territories from the union

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Boosted_C5 posted:

Trump would win every single rabidly red state. The rabidly red states have merely been tolerating centrist candidates for the sake of the states on the borderline.

Look at the SC polls that have been done, where Trump is absolutely obliteraing the competition and has a lead double his national average and triple or quadruple what he has in states like Iowa and NH.

If Trump ran 3rd party, everyone would know that the race is over and the Democrats win. GOP voters would then use the election as a battle for party supremacy, and the anti-establishment crowd would win. Hell, I bet Ted Cruz would gladly run on the ticket with Trump if this happened, that self-aggrandizing gently caress.

Trump jumped in both feet first as a rabid crazy conservative and soaked up some of that delicious right wing press , but I think as the primary goes on and other republicans get thrown overboard, you'll see his true colors as being far more moderate than the rest of the field. Can you imagine what would happen to Ted Cruz or Scott Walker if they admitted that the Canadian health care system works and that maybe planned parenthood does some good non-abortion things and should continue to exist? Trump did both of those things and his poll numbers continue to go up. I think by the time (god willing) he makes it to the general, you're going to see some fierce attacks on Hillary Clinton from Trump's left, with the main one being that she's owned by corporate America, which is not entirely untrue, while Trump, for all his faults - can't be bought. I consider myself somewhere between a moderate and a conservative democrat, but Trump is getting very close to winning me over unironically.

His threat to run 3rd party at first I thought was dickish, now I realize it's absolutely essential to his survival. If Trump loses in the primaries, he can gracefully bow out saying that the voters have spoken and he will support the [insert boring GOP white guy here] in the general and that's fine. But if the GOP establishment tries to snake the nod out from under him through some underhanded methods, he's gonna scorch the earth by going indepedent and give Hillary a 40 state win.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
While we're posting fantasy electoral maps, here's the result if Trump's third party influence results in a Democratic party win in every state in which Obama got at least 40% of the vote in 2012:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

blue squares posted:

would there be any real negative consequences to the liberal states seceding peacefully?

Not to the blue states, but it'd be amusing watching the red ones try and feed themselves without California.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Skwirl posted:

Not to the blue states, but it'd be amusing watching the red ones try and feed themselves without California.

I think the entire country is going to be asking that question pretty soon.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

zeal posted:

it's always cool to watch blue staters stroke themselves over how much more moral they are than all those barbarians in the red states while fantasizing about removing the most heavily minority-populated territories from the union

That's a pretty good point. I was obviously joking but yeah, leaving them to be ruled by republicans would me immoral.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OAquinas posted:

I think the entire country is going to be asking that question pretty soon.

We'll be fine once we institute Martial Law and start gunning people down for watering their grass, and institute a a huge tariff on the export of almonds.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
if you hate the south, you hate the blacks

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
God, I don't ask you for much. In fact, we don't have the best relationship. But I am obligated to ask you for this. Please, God, if you love your creations, have Donald Trump run as an independent and qualify for the general election debates. Do this for me and I shall praise your name to all I know.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Skwirl posted:

California does about jack and poo poo as far as "feeding" the country. It mostly produces luxuries and the rest there's more than enough produced in other states, or could easily be if cultivation was taken up that was previously done in California,

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Quote of the Day - "I'll tell you, taking out Saddam Hussein turned out to be a pretty good deal." ~Jeb Bush

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Quote of the Day - "I'll tell you, taking out Saddam Hussein turned out to be a pretty good deal." ~Jeb Bush

Jeb Bush has become Sideshow Bob. Just eternally stepping on one rake after another.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

blue squares posted:

That's a pretty good point. I was obviously joking but yeah, leaving them to be ruled by republicans would me immoral.

That's why we grant them asylum.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

agreed, we definitely killed a few thousand less than Saddam so overall im sure Iraqis and Kuwaitis are glad

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

badatom
Dec 10, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

Alter Ego posted:

Jeb Bush has become Sideshow Bob. Just eternally stepping on one rake after another.

More like he's stepping on rakes that he put all over the yard himself. When was the last time a candidate did this much self-inflicted damage before a single primary took place?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

yea im hating on him because he wont buy a trump cap in gold and wear it with that pic

loving amateur

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Does anyone honestly believe Trump can't be bought? He's just more expensive. You don't get to be a billionaire by not taking other people's money.

I'm far from being a billionaire as you may have guessed, but in my experience the more money I get, the more money I want!

I mean he may have better policies than the rest of the field to the extent that he has policies, but I'm not convinced that the idea that he's too rich to be influenced by lobbyist money is really a thing.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If Jeb was replaced by Romney would they be polling any different? Jeb feels like exactly the same candidate as Romney except with the additional Bush stink on him. Neither candidate gives Republicans an actual positive reason to vote for them besides "electability" and they are both prone to making idiotic statements every time you stick a mic in their face.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mons Hubris posted:

Does anyone honestly believe Trump can't be bought? He's just more expensive. You don't get to be a billionaire by not taking other people's money.

I'm far from being a billionaire as you may have guessed, but in my experience the more money I get, the more money I want!

I mean he may have better policies than the rest of the field to the extent that he has policies, but I'm not convinced that the idea that he's too rich to be influenced by lobbyist money is really a thing.

for me it's more his proven track record of happily taking whatever money people are willing to offer him, squirreling it away in the byzantine financial recesses of the Trumpire, and then screwing over whoever paid him in ways they can do nothing about

i am sure he'll receive plenty of lobbyist money. he'll even promise to do what they want. but in the end he'll only do what Trump wants, for good or ill

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Jeb! tries to lob out an easy statement he thinks everyone will agree on.

Swing and a miss.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

nachos posted:

If Jeb was replaced by Romney would they be polling any different? Jeb feels like exactly the same candidate as Romney except with the additional Bush stink on him. Neither candidate gives Republicans an actual positive reason to vote for them besides "electability" and they are both prone to making idiotic statements every time you stick a mic in their face.

I want a please proceed governor moment from Jeb!

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

At least Romney was intentionally funny, #JebNoFilter is just cringe worthy

Case in point:

http://youtu.be/jBg6hU5zXDA

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

GalacticAcid posted:

The butter cow returns.

You say butter cow, I say golden calf.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

This is literally the same line of thought the neoliberal Labour party and neoliberal Conservative party are using on Jeremy Corbyn to try to keep him from winning in the UK. As to how that's working out: He currently has something crazy like 56% of the vote in a three-person race from Labour leadership.

Yeah. Turns out people don't actually give a poo poo about moderate politics "electability", and being an actual leftist does in fact energize leftists and people willing to vote for genuine leftists.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocks posted:

At least Romney was intentionally funny, #JebNoFilter is just cringe worthy

Case in point:

http://youtu.be/jBg6hU5zXDA

i frankly thought he was fatter than that

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lastgirl posted:

yea im hating on him because he wont buy a trump cap in gold and wear it with that pic

loving amateur

Haters gonna hat.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

zeal posted:

i frankly thought he was fatter than that

He was until recently:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/250077-bush-drops-40-pounds-on-paleo-diet

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gyges posted:

Ailes is probably giving [Megyn Kelly] an all expense paid trip to a world class resort.

You know who owns a lot of world class resorts....

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

welp I'm voting for him.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There's even a Butter Trump :captainpop:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Trump doesn't need a cane, please. That would make him look weak. Also, no top hat, why would he want to cover his glorious coiffureover?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Important Iowa State Fair health notice.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Christie's crushin' it (the boardwalk (because he's fat (that's the joke))).

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

i like how he keeps his rolls tucked discreetly into his pants

(his fat rolls(which are bad to have))

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Something about UK Labour politics
UK politics is not US politics.

This apparently happened

quote:

Hillary Clinton's campaign circulated a memo to top allies in Washington this week with an unmistakably Obama-esque theme: Don't worry, we've got this.

It comes at a time when Clinton's elite Acela-corridor allies have watched her battle flagging approval and honesty ratings, an investigation into the handling of her State Department emails, a surprisingly robust challenge from Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, and the possible entrance of Vice President Joe Biden into the race. And they've watched it all play out in the newspapers they read and on the television shows they watch. Some of them have started to freak out a little bit. ...

"Winning campaigns have a plan and stick to it, in good times and bad. President Obama endured significant pressure in 2007 to abandon his strategy, but his campaign remained focused on winning in Iowa and ultimately prevailed," Mook wrote.

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/13/9148623/clinton-memo-biden-running

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm wondering how long the fringe candidates are going to stay in this race. Part of me thinks "ALL THE WAY", but that's crazy, right? Surely Pataki and Gilmore at least will realize the whole thing's been pointless, right?

In a logical world, Graham, Pataki, Gilmore, Perry and Jindal drop out by November, narrowing the race to a more manageable 12. And then maybe Rand Paul sees the writing on the wall, Carson flames out ala Herman Cain, and Santorum realizes he's not winning Iowa. And Christie sees that his poll numbers in NH are sub-5%, and falls on his sword. Then we have 8 candidates, the ones that actually make sense to be in the race. Cruz to rep the crazies, Fiorina to hit Hillary and appeal to business dorks, Kasich to be the compassionate conservative, Huckster to rep the evangelicals who maybe don't want the poor to completely starve, Jeb Rubio and Walker to be the mainstream choices, and Trump to Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jesus, OM! can't even eat Fair Food right. You're supposed to look like an idiot, that's why people pay any attention, Littlefinger.

Who's the lady to his left that looks like a girl I went to High School with?

• Locked thread