Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You'd figure that, being God's waiting room, Florida would have come up with a system of moving old people around that doesn't involve them being a hazard on the roads, but you'd be wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

62% of people in Pinellas County voted against a measure to increase sales tax by 1% in order to increase funding for public transportation, including adding light rail and improving the bus infrastructure (not that I agree that sales tax is the best way to go about it, just pointing out old people hate taxes).

Nothing's ever going to change because old people vote in droves and they will never vote to make themselves take a driving test or increase funding for public transportation.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why don't they just use Uber? It's not like random semi-anonymous cabbies are going to take advantage of a mentally infirm 93 year old.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Driving in West Palm Beach was probably the most terrifying and near-accident driving I've ever done. The olds are just so unpredictable in addition to barely being able to hear, see, or push the accelerator. My first near accident was right after meeting my girlfriends grandmother and driving separate cars to get dinner. We came up on a red light at one of those ridiculously huge intersections and her grandma came to a complete stop about 50 yards before the red light. With no one in front of her. Then she proceeded to idle to the red light.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mind_Taker posted:

62% of people in Pinellas County voted against a measure to increase sales tax by 1% in order to increase funding for public transportation, including adding light rail and improving the bus infrastructure (not that I agree that sales tax is the best way to go about it, just pointing out old people hate taxes).

Nothing's ever going to change because old people vote in droves and they will never vote to make themselves take a driving test or increase funding for public transportation.

Why not raise the rates for using the public transportation so that people actually using it are paying for it instead?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Locator posted:

That must be one crappy parking brake. The parking brake on my Focus, even when just 'lightly' engaged when I park, won't let the car move at all with normal power/clutch activation. It's pretty obvious instantly when I've forgotten to release it before trying to move.

Also, all the cars I drove as a kid had a foot engaged parking brake. Mostly late 60's early 70's Mopar's and Ford trucks. But yea, everything (almost) used to have them.

My 03 Malibu has a foot activated e-brake and that fucker doesn't budge when engaged, no matter how hard you hit the gas.

PT6A posted:

Well, it would seem that some careless oval office has placed a shopping cart part way through the parking spot that minivan was attempting to use.

Leaving your shopping cart in the middle of the parking lot instead of returning it to where shopping carts go should be considered a capital offence, IMO.

Looks like an equally careless oval office can't park their piece of poo poo Chrysler scrap heap :v: that, and if a cart's in the way....just get off your lazy rear end and MOVE it. Anyone that goddamn stupid or lazy is part of the problem and I hope something happens that prevents them from ever being able to drive again.

nsaP posted:

Driving in West Palm Beach was probably the most terrifying and near-accident driving I've ever done. The olds are just so unpredictable in addition to barely being able to hear, see, or push the accelerator. My first near accident was right after meeting my girlfriends grandmother and driving separate cars to get dinner. We came up on a red light at one of those ridiculously huge intersections and her grandma came to a complete stop about 50 yards before the red light. With no one in front of her. Then she proceeded to idle to the red light.

I had an elderly guy hold up traffic and almost run into me this morning on the way to work. I was in line in a turn lane, which is in front of an entrance to a little strip mall. I stopped and left a gap for the old guy to pull out and merge in front of me, and he takes the sloooowweeesssttt 2.5mph crawl into traffic I've ever seen. Get up to the green light, we both go left, and he can't decide what loving lane he wants to be in, so he rides the white line for a bit and starts drifting to the left. I put on my signal and prepare to go around on the right, and as soon as I'm next to him, he starts swerving into my lane again and I had to blare the horn. I passed him, he drifts over into the lane behind me, then drifts slowly over to the interstate on-ramp, almost cutting someone off while puttering along at maybe 35mph, tops. gently caress old people and giving them licenses when they can barely see or hear, still think we're in the early 1900s driving Model T's that can only go 40, and their reflexes are loving shot.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 13, 2015

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I dunno if this has been posted before but here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ8WKscGo8I

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Long Francesco posted:

this doesnt even shock me

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

Why not raise the rates for using the public transportation so that people actually using it are paying for it instead?

What do you do if the public transit system is so lovely no one can use it? How do you get money to get things off the ground?

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
In the space of ten minutes, I saw one car treat a stop sign like a green light and another treat a green light like a stop sign.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

As I was exiting the grocery store, I spotted a BMW X5 parked, idling with the driver in the vehicle, on the hatch marks blocking the entry to a handicapped spot. The handicapped spot was empty, the BMW lacked a permit. A wheelchair van pulled up signalling to enter the parking spot and laid on there horn for a good five minutes while Mr. Important refused to move.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

A tow truck driver spat on my car yesterday because I wouldn't turn right on red at an intersection clearly signed "no turn on red". Wtf dude?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Long Francesco posted:

A for effort. F for execution.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Had a run in with a cyclist today.

Central London, (Upper Woburn Place) i pull up to a red light, first in the line. There's a cycle lane to the left, and a cycle box in front for them to stop at. Girl comes up the cycle lane, turns and stops right in front of me in the box. Lights change, she goes off pretty slow, so i'm there crawling waiting for her to get on with it, she turns around and shouts at me to "back off/gently caress off". I don't get any closer/further, don't change speed, carry on waiting for her to gently caress off to the side of the HUGE wide lane so i can go past. She continues right in the middle of the lane, turns around, gives me a wanker sign and calls me a wanker.

Umm, ok, whatever. As the road has widened, there's a huge gap off to the left, i indicate, move left give it some grunt and overtake (undertake) her and carry on my merry way. Stop at the next lights and she comes up by my driver's window shouting something, calling me a wanker, etc. Not interested. She stops right in front of me, shouting at my to open my window and just go "Can't hear you. Radio's on. Don't know what you're saying." She carries on shouting, "I'm gonna take a picture of your numberplate!" Yeah, go for it. It's there for everyone to see. She takes a picture of me, and gets all pissed when i take a picture of her, she's shouting she's gonna call the police. Another cyclist gets involved and starts talking to her, she's so involved in loving around with her phone that as the lights change i just full lock the wheel to the left, go around her and drive off.

Call the police? And say what? I held up a van and then it overtook me? Good one!

loving militant bike-riding thundercunt cocknozzle bitch. I hope one day she tries that with the wrong person and they go and start knocking shades of poo poo outta her. gently caress with the wrong person and they could just run you over.

Oh, and she didn't notice my dashcam recording the whole thing either.

TL;DR - Cyclists can gently caress off.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mooseykins posted:

Oh, and she didn't notice my dashcam recording the whole thing either.

You will be posting this later, right?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Geoj posted:

You will be posting this later, right?

Of course.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mooseykins posted:

Of course.

Bet you a fiver you get comments defending the cyclist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spog posted:

Bet you a fiver you get comments defending the cyclist.

And comments calling for the cyclist to be cruficied.

Welcome to the internet!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
And comments featuring Goatse!

(is Goatse still a thing with the kids these days?)

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

Mooseykins posted:

Cyclists can gently caress off.

We can all dream.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Verified customer complaint. Found parking brake to have been applied after service and customer drove off without releasing parking brake. Berated by customer for five minutes about application of parking brake without prior informing. Status: resolved.

Verified customer complaint. Found customer did not know they had a high beam selector. Status: resolved.

Verified customer complaint. Found technician to have turned radio off when pulling vehicle in for service. Customer states 'they didn't know it could do that. Status: resolved.

The OP, pretty relevant to the last few pages.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I thought I would share a bit of craziness at my neighbors new house. As you can see in the photo it is a house under construction, it is competed today with a cement driveway pad where the two snow spots are to the right of the house.

Blue Arrow - While it was still under under construction a truck delivering supplies drove off the edge of the new driveway.

Green triangle - They shored up the driveway against the retaining wall (part of the house's foundation) with boulders to prevent erosion.

Then the other day a guest was visiting. They backed into the driveway with a brand new base model Forester. It still even has the temp/dealer plates. After transferring things into/out-of the back of the car their guest attempted to leave and cut the corner too tight (red arrow) and landed the front half of this new vehicle (black rectangle) on the rocks.

We live very remotely and I was called by another neighbor to come help. The message I had been told was, "they are stuck on the driveway". I immediately thought another vehicle had driven off of the elevated driveway.

To the credit of the apparent stupidity of the drivers of the vehicles involved in these incidents, the outside curve edge of the main driveway truly needs a guard rail. None has yet been installed. The inside part with the boulders needs a simple set of marker posts/pipes. The kind you can easily see when it is time to leave. When it gets snowy and icy in the winter I think the risk will get worse.

Anyhow I showed up with my old utilitarian gas hog 3/4 ton pickup. It was due for it's regular "4 times a year" start up anyhow. I used a recovery strap to drag her backwards to get the Forester's front tires back onto the boulders and onto the driveway.

It was a neat experience because I had no idea that these things could be had with a stick. My wife's Forester Touring has a CVT auto trans and came with Birkenstocks and a flannel shirt. Not really, but it does have a CVT auto.

I checked the underside of her vehicle where it was resting on the boulder and there was and a plastic skid plate had taken the brunt of the incident/ I was able to put my hand under the passenger seat and the other hand to the floor pan from beneath and felt no deformation. Considering the point on that the rock had held the car elevated, I was surprised.

I am sorry that I don't have more entertaining pictures, but in my haste to go help I left my phone at home. I also think it would have been frowned on by the guest who was already emotionally in shambles about the possible damage to the new car and the embarrassment of the incident. I was also trying to maintain a bit of respectful neighborly decorum as the neighbors themselves looked on in concern.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ridiculous driveways are kind of SOP for people building their dream home in the hills somewhere.

There are some truly insane layouts in the Hillside region of Anchorage.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

No lorry that is not how you should merge onto the motorway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmxRnHxKjoE

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh, man, i didn't even realize it was time for the zipper merge derail again.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ludicro posted:

Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuune

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

88h88 posted:

Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuune

First thing I noticed was the cam cars good taste in music.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

`Nemesis posted:

First thing I noticed was the cam cars good taste in music.

Heh, peniston

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TNO posted:

We can all dream.

This is basically my version of Heaven.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

TNO posted:

We can all dream.

Leeroyyyy JENKINS!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Long Francesco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aULRhgG_Az8

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Ludicro posted:

That one is all on the Red truck tbh. He had plenty of opportunity to see the truck coming and leave a space or hammer it down and pass, and instead he just pulled up so he cab was blocking the back of the merging truck. Dude in the blue one probably thought the red was going to let him in then got all confused when the guy started pulling up along side him. You might already be in the lane as the red truck but that doesn't mean you can just follow the road rules like a robot without paying attention to what is going on around you and reacting.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nsaP posted:

That one is all on the Red truck tbh. He had plenty of opportunity to see the truck coming and leave a space or hammer it down and pass, and instead he just pulled up so he cab was blocking the back of the merging truck. Dude in the blue one probably thought the red was going to let him in then got all confused when the guy started pulling up along side him. You might already be in the lane as the red truck but that doesn't mean you can just follow the road rules like a robot without paying attention to what is going on around you and reacting.

But if the red truck slowed down for any reason ever, the driver would be permanently sad because it would take him literally to the end of time to get back up to speed! Therefore he can't be criticized for driving like a complete oval office.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Why just today I had someone slam on the brakes at the top of an onramp in front of me. There was one car coming, and it moved over into the left lane.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

PCOS Bill posted:

This is basically my version of Heaven.

In every other subform people would be calling for the driver to be tortured to death, eh?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sigma X posted:

In every other subform people would be calling for the driver to be tortured to death, eh?

Every other subforum is wrong.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I read in this thread about someone following some bicyclists up a hill and either can't or won't cross the double yellow line to pass and creates a huge line of traffic. none recall this video?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

B4Ctom1 posted:

I read in this thread about someone following some bicyclists up a hill and either can't or won't cross the double yellow line to pass and creates a huge line of traffic. none recall this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u64SFHVYyyg

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

B4Ctom1 posted:

You mean those assholes who drive a car behind a swarm of wannabe Armstrongs, actively blocking people from overtaking. Hindering traffic on a 80kph road, ignoring the perfectly fine, empty, separated bicycle lane about 3 meters to their right.

A coworker of mine is one of those cunts. He swears up and down that blocking an 80kph road is much more safe than having to deal with bicyclists that do only 20kph.

Of course it happens at least once a year that an HGV driver misjudges the speed difference and launches the "safety" car into the "peloton". But for some reason I can't even begin to phantom, this doesn't deter the Lycra clad fuckers.
They're a special school of cunts in a sea of twats on bicycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

That video you're kinda hosed. The lane is not wide enough to share and comply with CA's 3 foot rule. Having driven that road many many times, you cannot pass safely without crossing the double yellow, even if it is a tire. So the cyclist's placment is fine because being to the right will encourage cars to pass to close to him and cross the double yellow.
Now generally, I am in favor of laws that would allow you to cross the double yellow to pass a cyclist, but that law does not appear to exist here. And the CHP is right there and will ticket for it. And they will ticket there because no where on the snake is it remotely safe to cross the double yellow.

I recognize the cyclist's right to be there. But as a cyclist, riding the snake sounds loving miserable.