Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
rawr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

goose fleet posted:

What happened to Chaos since 3rd edition? I see there is a separate Daemons army now? Can you still make cool themed Chaos marine armies, or are they just regular marines with spiky bits and a few cool models now?

If you want to play a chaos legion, you finally can thanks to Forgeworld. Otherwise Chaos hasn't had a good codex since 3.5 edition.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Thanks for the replies everyone! Wow, gently caress. I never thought the game would end up this way. A lot of what you're all saying sounds pretty awesome.

How about the armies that don't have any psykers lore-wise (like the Tau or Necrons), do they get anything to compensate?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Tau and Necrons have enjoyed 2 editions of solid rules. Necrons had a total overhaul last edition and have remained a really interesting army ever since. Tau have interesting options as well and play like their own unique army.

Basically the losers are, and have historically been: Dark Eldar, Chaos Marines, Tyranids, Broken Loose, and naturally, Sisters of Battle

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Necrons have reanimation protocols which means on a 5+ they don't get wounded. It's the defining characteristic of the army. They are really hard to kill. They keep coming back.

I don't know much about Tau. I believe they have a new codex coming this year.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Are those Sisters of Battle models on the website literally the same exact models I saw being sold ~12 years ago? Jesus.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dark-Eldar-Prisoners

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, Sisters will never be updated.

BULBASAUR posted:

If you want to play a chaos legion, you finally can thanks to Forgeworld. Otherwise Chaos hasn't had a good codex since 3.5 edition.

Oh yeah, that's probably something you'll find neat, Forgeworld's doing Primarchs:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

quote:

This is a finely detailed resin cast kit

Are you sure about that, Games Workshop

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

goose fleet posted:

Are you sure about that, Games Workshop

those girls are fiiiiiiiiiine

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
You'd think they'd update those. They'd sell billions.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm going to experiment with the Warp Talon heads after some sick rear end alpha Legion stuff posted by someone a few pages back, but I agree those heads are too awesome.

Yyyyyou rannnnnnng?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

Tau and Necrons have enjoyed 2 editions of solid rules. Necrons had a total overhaul last edition and have remained a really interesting army ever since. Tau have interesting options as well and play like their own unique army.

Basically the losers are, and have historically been: Dark Eldar, Chaos Marines, Tyranids, Broken Loose, and naturally, Sisters of Battle

"this smacks of gender!" i yell, overturning the game table and turning games day into poo poo day

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The OP should have a 'catch-up' section for folks who haven't played since 2nd, 3rd, etc., to read up on all the changes to the rules, company strategy, and other stuff. It would actually make interesting reading to see the changes from edition to edition if it's not too heavy on the 'GW is a terrible company' vibe.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
In all honesty, I haven't really played since late 3rd when I stopped working for the company, so I'd be interested to get a potted history.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

What in the fu-

RIP STEAKFACE ...

DJ Dizzy posted:

Greatest cadian commanders ever.

"Hurrgh!" "Yaargh!" Two people that are very, VERY serious about fisting! Huzzah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

That's really cool and anyone that has the patience to paint with oil paints impresses the pants off of me. Life Force owns, so does PC/arcade splash illustration.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 13, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Cataphract - as you're an Ork player and I've played against Orks for years and years, I'd be really interested to know about any Orky taktiks, lists, combos etc that you like or use? I'm listening to your interview on IC final podcast, would be cool to know what your opinion is there.

Also Ghost Hand - bloody awesome podcast man. Seriously incredible you did 127 episodes of that length.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Is/was Hollismason better or worse than NoctisHorrendae?

Hollis is actually good and cool

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Lord Twisted posted:

Cataphract - as you're an Ork player and I've played against Orks for years and years, I'd be really interested to know about any Orky taktiks, lists, combos etc that you like or use? I'm listening to your interview on IC final podcast, would be cool to know what your opinion is there.

Yeah, me too, the only success I have had with orks is by loading the list with lootas and Kannons and shooting poo poo. I don't remember the last time a powerklaw did anything.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Also I had to dedicate some time today to reorganising my storage cupboard so I took the time to unpack and catalogue my 'ham, going to do some detailed blog posts on it, but I might have... maybe... too much.

WYSIWYG for the points.

Approx 8,300 of Space Marines

Approx 5,400 of Astra Militarum + Support

Approx 1,500 of Necrons (some in disrepair as the fuckers are so hard to transport)

A growing force of 30k Salamanders (Approx 800)

All boxed up and labelled (Salamanders I'm still shopping around for a case)

Planning on doing a detailed blog post for each one regarding their fluff, special characters, notable battles etc. My 3 buddies are going to do the same with their armies. (goodbadgreenskin.tumblr.com)

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How are those GW army cases by the way?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Fsmhunk posted:

How are those GW army cases by the way?

For imperial forces? Amazing. I can put all the terminators, sternguard, and a decent proportion of the tactical marines into the small one.

I use the other one for the Necrons. On the plus side it holds all 1550-odd points. On the other hand, lots of breakages of the spindly bits. Having said that, I used a KR case and it wasn't much better, especially for the wraiths, so YMMV.

The only thing I will say is the foam glue is disappointing - very prone to splitting. I will be getting more GW cases because I can get them at a discount and for storing marine and guard shaped infantry theyre the bomb, but that is something you have to be aware of.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm always having trouble finding cases that are good for carrying trukks and battlewagons.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Does anybody know the measurements for Necron heads? I'm thinking about using them in some conversions with some Warmachine models.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
There's a 40k Knight Titan game called Freeblade coming out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUep6xNeKjA

Unfortunately it's on mobile devices, and while the animations actually look really, really good, I'm not expecting anything great since it's a mobile game. Sucks since I was hoping for Mechwarrior 40k essentially, but I guess I'll wait and see.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Post 9-11 User posted:

That's really cool and anyone that has the patience to paint with oil paints impresses the pants off of me. Life Force owns, so does PC/arcade splash illustration.

The game is known as Salamander abroad, so that's why I chose that image as the banner. And that was all painted with GW and Vallejo acrylics, no oils. It's just that I learned to paint in oil is all. That's the smallest picture that I've ever painted too. It's something like 23mm x 40mm in size.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
As far as IG superheavies that arent Baneblades, which ones are worth going for?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

DJ Dizzy posted:

As far as IG superheavies that arent Baneblades, which ones are worth going for?

Hellhammers are fantastic, as are Warhounds.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I sgould probably have specified Baneblade-variants :v:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Twisted posted:

Also Ghost Hand - bloody awesome podcast man. Seriously incredible you did 127 episodes of that length.

Sure thing, though to be honest with you I haven't had a game with my orks in a while but things I like to do are

Multiple 1 man units of deffkoptas. Super fast, can hassle side armour of vehicles and can grab maelstrom objectives really well. The opponent probably has to over dedicate firepower to deal with them and they can distract your opponent from firing on your main force.

Footslogging Megawarboss with lukky stik leading a 30 man unit of boys. The megaboss goes at the front of the unit making the unit pretty much immune to small arms fire with a rerollable 2+ and can use look out sir to put any ap2 or ap1 hits on the unit. The unit can't run because of the war bosses armour though.

I really like taking minimum sized meganob units in trukks. 155 points nets you 12 str 9 power klaw attacks on the charge. Again, like the koptas you need to take multiple units cause poo poo is bound to get blown up.

Lots of Lootas. They're super effective but they're also scary. Opponents know their output so will dedicate attention to them and away from your main force.

I think the main thing with orks is that you get lots of stuff. You'll lose half of it so you need to make sure that the half that makes it across the table has the power to krump. Take multiples of effective units so you have redundancy. Have multiple warbosses so you can benefit from both da Finkin cap and lukky stik. Throw meks in big units so they can die instead of a nob in a challenge. And above all remember that You are really really fast you have fast open topped vehicles. You should do everything you can to grab the first turn and you should aim to be in combat turn two.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

SRM posted:

There's a 40k Knight Titan game called Freeblade coming out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUep6xNeKjA

Unfortunately it's on mobile devices, and while the animations actually look really, really good, I'm not expecting anything great since it's a mobile game. Sucks since I was hoping for Mechwarrior 40k essentially, but I guess I'll wait and see.

Those animations are pretty sweet, fluff constantly makes Knights out to be incredibly fast and it's kind of hard to see with their clunky-rear end aesthetic. Watching this gives me the same kinda smile watching Dreads stomp around in DoW, something super cool about watching those little plastic man dollies actually moving about like you imagined.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The levels in that Freeblade trailer look like Quake 2.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I just primed my brand new Dimachaeron and looking up the rules for it, it seems to have a mostly redundant 6" jump move? Am I reading this wrong?

I mean it's probably going to look cool for jumping straight up a building to execute some IG cannon fodder but other than that I can't think of a lot of useful avenues for it

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Soulfucker posted:

I just primed my brand new Dimachaeron and looking up the rules for it, it seems to have a mostly redundant 6" jump move? Am I reading this wrong?

I mean it's probably going to look cool for jumping straight up a building to execute some IG cannon fodder but other than that I can't think of a lot of useful avenues for it
Trust me, one game-changing building jump is all you need to be happy about that little rule forever.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GreenMarine posted:

The levels in that Freeblade trailer look like Quake 2.
It's running on your phone so it can only look so good.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

BuffaloChicken posted:

Trust me, one game-changing building jump is all you need to be happy about that little rule forever.

I was thinking about that battle report when I wrote my post, I read every word of it :allears:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Should I take a deathstrike vortex missile in my upcoming apocalypse game this saturday? Is it TOO broken?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ugh. Yesterday I decimated some Khorne marines. I had 9 Windriders just obliterating whole beserker squads in 1 turn. It felt like I was kicking a corpse. Im sorry CSM.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

DJ Dizzy posted:

I sgould probably have specified Baneblade-variants :v:

Well just Hellhammers then.

S10 AP1 Ignore Cover is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

No baneblade-variants. My mistake!

• Locked thread