Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I prefer to use Jake over Tycho because he's cheaper, you can slap VI on him to give him higher PS than Tycho and I really like barrel rolls (even though the sharp turns on daredevil can be nice). This is more or less what a friend of mine ran for a lot of tourneys to really good effect:

98 points

PILOTS

Tycho Celchu (35)
A-Wing (26), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Proton Rockets (3), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2), Veteran Instincts (1)

Jake Farrell (33)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Proton Rockets (3), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2), Veteran Instincts (1)

Jan Ors (30)
HWK-290 (25), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Jan is pretty vulnerable though, but you do get very nice alpha-strike potential with a TL/Focus 6 dice procket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Put the Prockets on Tycho and gently caress the munitions failsafe. With TL and focus on five dice if you miss RNGesus hates you anyway and it's not worth fighting him over it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

KO Derf posted:

One thing to realize is that firing the Blaster Turret from a Y-Wing without the R4-Agromech means you aren't able to modify your dice.
As such, you are likely to only get 1 shot through the opponent's defenses with the turret. That is why people typically take the Ion Cannon Turret instead of the Blaster Turret. If you are only going to do 1 damage, you might as well have that damage control the ship you hit via ion token.

Understandably your damage potential is slightly higher with BT, since it is possible to roll 5 or 6 hits naturally, but I (and most others) believe having a 2 or 3 dice primary shot and then a 3 dice ion shot with a focus you can use on either attack is better.

Ah I didn't realize that ICT was more common for that reason.

Side note: The Z95s are pretty much just fodder, yeah? Should I just be flying them around being a general nuisance while Torkil and the Y Wings setup for good attacks?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Use them to bump enemy ships: since they have low PS, they move first, so you can place them where you think the enemy ship is going to be, then the enemy ship moves and if you guessed correctly, bumps your Z95 and therefore loses its actions.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I was under the impression that Outmanuver really helps A-Wings with the fact that they are light on attack dice. The trick is, I don't see enough points available in either of those A-Wing builds to be able to shoehorn it in.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm hoping to rope someone into buying their own stuff, so 150€ for KO Derf's list is a little expensive for me. 3 ships with the Core look a bit sparse, so how does Core + X-Wing + TIE Fighter + TIE Advance sound? Is that more or less playable? How long will it take to play a battle with all that stuff on the table?

Just received this at my workplace, so I hope to have it set up and playing in 4-5 hours. Both me and my opponent have read the rules, and we'll just field all the ships and try to end up with something balanced on the fly. Any rules that are easy to mess up?

It seems that there is a quite active community in my city, which was a surprise, may try my hand in a couple of tournaments. Is this like every collectible game ever, where the new things are vastly better than the old ones?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just got my Raider, it looks pretty :3:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Fat Samurai posted:

Is this like every collectible game ever, where the new things are vastly better than the old ones?

Yes and no. The X-Wing itself isn't the greatest anymore, but it's serviceable. The TIE Fighter is still one of the cornerstones of a lot of lists as a cheap swarm ship though. The Advanced was probably the least used ship in the game, but the Raider that's coming out has a fix for it's main issue and is going to be a strong ship now. Y-Wings were bad for a long time, and are picking back up with a new title that came out last wave. Soontir Fel has been around since Wave 2 and is probably the most commonly used pilot in the game.

Basically, they've done a decent job at not letting old ships be obsoleted. Newer stuff is flashier sometimes, but they don't tend to add new types of upgrades any more, which means even older ships get to play with some of the new toys.

Fat Samurai posted:

Any rules that are easy to mess up?

A few that spring to mind:

-secondary weapons like cannons, missiles, or torpedoes don't add an extra red die at range 1, or give the defender an extra green at range 3. Only primary weapons do this.
-if you are touching a ship, you can't shoot it. You can still shoot other ships that are in your arc however.
-if you bump into a ship, you lose your action
-if you move and your template touches and asteroid you are considered to have flown over it. you lose your action and roll 1 red die and suffer the damage if it comes up
-if you land on the asteroid, where your base is overlapping it, you do the same as above, and can't shoot at all. Try really hard not to land on asteroids!
-if you try and boost or barrel roll and would hit a ship or asteroid, you can't. You can choose another action instead though

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I know a few of you play at Curio on Tuesdays and I am thinking of going next Tuesday if I can get out of work at a reasonable time. What can I expect player-wise? I have only ever been to one other tourney but It seems like Curio tourneys are more casual than the last one I went to.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Tekopo posted:

Just got my Raider, it looks pretty :3:

Do you have any of the other huge ships, and if so, could you post side-by-sides?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The only one I have is the transport, I don't have the Tantive.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'll post a picture of it + my collection of Imperials + Rebels when I get home though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TarDolphinorShark posted:

I know a few of you play at Curio on Tuesdays and I am thinking of going next Tuesday if I can get out of work at a reasonable time. What can I expect player-wise? I have only ever been to one other tourney but It seems like Curio tourneys are more casual than the last one I went to.

Define casual. We're laid back but you have several people who've placed highly at regionals, Nationals, worlds, and nova open. There's sometimes a lack of room since magic is run at the same time so be sure to pack a light kit and get a tray for your stuff or something. But we start first so they always accommodate us for space. Usually between 10-16 people.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

In my first game in my first tournament I got paired with paul and it was all downhill from there. I still had a blast and everyone was really nice about me forgetting rules here or there so I loved it even if I got trounced. I was jut wondering if it was a lot of people around my skill level or a lot of higher caliber players. Sounds like a good time. Now I have to think of a fun list to bring. I hope I got a little better since the last time, but I only ever really play with the same person over and over so it will be nice to play different people.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Paul Heaver? Love him, nice guy. Don't talk to him much since he doesn't talk much. I think he might be concentrating less on x wing since he has 2 world champs already and hasn't been doing so well in regionals nor nationals. He did get 1st in IA so won't be surprised if he continues that. Worst is if he gets defeated in the finals of x wing worlds - people will remember that more than winning twice.

Our people are nice and are always accommodating to new players. Honter says it's good for breeding quality players (both skill and courtesy-wise). People are getting ready for nova open, Canadian nationals and worlds so be ready for that.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Sounds good. If I can't think of anything else I might just bring my Awing list I posted earlier in the thread and give it a trial by fire. Part of me feels I should keep it simple though.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chill la Chill posted:

Paul Heaver? Love him, nice guy. Don't talk to him much since he doesn't talk much. I think he might be concentrating less on x wing since he has 2 world champs already and hasn't been doing so well in regionals nor nationals. He did get 1st in IA so won't be surprised if he continues that. Worst is if he gets defeated in the finals of x wing worlds - people will remember that more than winning twice.

Our people are nice and are always accommodating to new players. Honter says it's good for breeding quality players (both skill and courtesy-wise). People are getting ready for nova open, Canadian nationals and worlds so be ready for that.

what's his list look like these days?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

He's been trying and failing with various scum builds. Last monthly at games and stuff was the list that won 2013. He has always tried out new stuff cuz he already knows what works. if he does play in 2015 worlds he doesn't really need practice with Han + 3Z but having tried (and hated) the R2D2 version, it plays a lot differently.

I mean that he probably has reliable data being given to him from other nova squadron guys about our gunner build which IMO is now superior in the current meta.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 13, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Raider pics:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Man, that looks better than I thought it would.

Oh well, wasn't going to use that money on anything more productive anyway.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Is opportunist only in Imp Aces? If so, what should I replace it with on Wedge on a Wes/Wedge build?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Just in Aces, but Aces is great anyway and you should definitely feed your plastic crack habit.

Predator works for Wedge, if you don't have Opportunist. Never use Expose.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Strobe posted:

Just in Aces, but Aces is great anyway and you should definitely feed your plastic crack habit.

Predator works for Wedge, if you don't have Opportunist. Never use Expose.

Well, my next purchase is a transport.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Have you guys seen this? Seems neat. It even animates movement (with collision) and has sounds.
http://xws-bench.github.io/bench/

quote:

X-Wings Squadron Benchmark is a web app for testing squadrons built for the X-Wing miniature game. You can design your squads and simulate a battle between them. Both sides can be controlled either by the player or by an simple AI. The user moves the different units and can try new strategies, squadron composition, maneuvers and placement. It can be used to build scenarios, benchmark against squads you can find in competition, try new ships or pilots...

Haven't played a full game yet but so far seems pretty cool. Setting up squads was a hassle so if you want to just dive in here are some sample lists you can import (XXX and Brobots):

quote:

{"description":"","faction":"rebels","name":"","pilots":[{"name":"wedgeantilles","points":29,"ship":"xwing","upgrades":{"ept":["opportunist"],"amd":["r2astromech"]}},{"name":"wesjanson","points":29,"ship":"xwing","upgrades":{"ept":["veteraninstincts"]}},{"name":"lukeskywalker","points":28,"ship":"xwing","upgrades":{"ept":["veteraninstincts"],"amd":["r2d2"]}}],"points":"","vendor":{"xwsbenchmark":{"builder":"X-Wings Squadron Benchmark","builder_url":"http://xws-bench.github.io/bench/"}},"version":"0.2.0"}

Wedge Antilles + Opportunist + R2 Astromech
Wes Janson + Veteran Instincts
Luke Skywalker + Veteran Instincts + R2-D2

quote:

{"description":"","faction":"scum","name":"","pilots":[{"name":"","points":36,"ship":"aggressor","upgrades":{"ept":["pushthelimit"],"system":["firecontrolsystem"],"cannon":["heavylasercannon"],"illicit":["inertialdampeners"],"mod":["autothrusters"],"title":["ig2000"]}},{"name":"","points":36,"ship":"aggressor","upgrades":{"ept":["pushthelimit"],"system":["firecontrolsystem"],"cannon":["manglercannon"],"illicit":["inertialdampeners"],"mod":["autothrusters"],"title":["ig2000"]}}],"points":"","vendor":{"xwsbenchmark":{"builder":"X-Wings Squadron Benchmark","builder_url":"http://xws-bench.github.io/bench/"}},"version":"0.2.0"}

IG-88B + Push the Limit + Fire-Control System + Heavy Laser Cannon + Inertial Dampeners + Autothrusters + IG-2000
IG-88C + Push the Limit + Fire-Control System + Mangler Cannon + Inertial Dampeners + Autothrusters + IG-2000

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

yellowjournalism posted:

Have you guys seen this? Seems neat. It even animates movement (with collision) and has sounds.

Haven't played a full game yet but so far seems pretty cool. Setting up squads was a hassle so if you want to just dive in here are some sample lists you can import (XXX and Brobots):

Neat, though drat is the AI stupid. AIs just run off the board, killing their units.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I was looking up all the TIE Fighter aces, and most of them are pretty lame:

Dark Curse: Guy who gets murdered by Wedge in ANH after briefly hassling Luke
Backstabber: Guy who gets murdered by Falcon in ANH
Mauler Mithel: Guy who says "look out!" after Backstabber is murdered, panics, and crashes into Vader for no god drat reason yet somehow has pilot skill 7

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Geisladisk posted:

Mauler Mithel: Guy who says "look out!" after Backstabber is murdered, panics, and crashes into Vader for no god drat reason yet somehow has pilot skill 7

I knew about the last one, but the first two are :psyduck:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Geisladisk posted:

Welcome to Star Wars, where every extra has a pilot card.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Well, let's just say the Empire has really good PR for these guys.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Welcome to Star Wars, where every extra has a pilot card.

The reason I started looking them up was that someone in the other Star Wars game thread asked if Wedge got any kills in ANH. I looked it up, and thought "that guy probably has a pilot card and a backstory". Turns out I was right.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Geisladisk posted:

The reason I started looking them up was that someone in the other Star Wars game thread asked if Wedge got any kills in ANH. I looked it up, and thought "that guy probably has a pilot card and a backstory". Turns out I was right.

Doesn't every pilot in Red Squadron have a card now to the point where there's no reason to have the generic "red squadron pilot" any more?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

yellowjournalism posted:

Came across something... interesting while noodling around with it.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Tacopocalypse posted:

Came across something... interesting while noodling around with it.

Please tell me that's a glitch and you can;'t throw a 16 die attack. :aaa:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Doesn't every pilot in Red Squadron have a card now to the point where there's no reason to have the generic "red squadron pilot" any more?
Sadly no

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Yeah, it's a glitch. It's pretty wonky whenever you try modifying dice. I also had to close the tab because after dropping a proximity around no one it refused to progress to the combat phase.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Mauler Mithel is the worst pilot. In an alternate timeline, Mauler Mithel keeps his cool, doesn't crash into Vader. Vader murders Luke. Death Star blows up Yavin, ending the rebellion and restoring order to the galaxy. Han Solo returns to a life of petty crime and is killed by Jabba's bounty hunters two years later. The Empire goes on to rule the galaxy for tens of thousands of years of order and stability.

Goddamnit Mauler. All you had to do was to keep flying straight and level.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I think most of them from the battle of Yavin have been turned into cards, yes. Red 4 is the only one of the top 6 who doesn't have a pilot card yet, I think.

e: there's a name for every single pilot in Red, Gold, and Blue squadrons from the battle of yavin on the starwars.wikia site :psyduck:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 14, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

Vader's wingmen were part of his personal, hand-picked fighter squadron, so logically, they're high PS because they were very good pilots before ANH. It's just that Luke and Han are heroes and so are automatically better.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think most of them from the battle of Yavin have been turned into cards, yes. Red 4 is the only one of the top 6 who doesn't have a pilot card yet, I think.

e: there's a name for every single pilot in Red, Gold, and Blue squadrons from the battle of yavin on the starwars.wikia site :psyduck:

Which is weird, because Gold and Blue squadron are the same thing. Gold was used in the movie, and Blue in the novelization. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Strobe posted:

Which is weird, because Gold and Blue squadron are the same thing. Gold was used in the movie, and Blue in the novelization. :eng101:

:sperg: Actually, Red squadron was blue squadron in the book, while Gold was red. They realized that the blue paint would clash with the bluescreen, leaving the xwings appearing to have big holes in them, so they switched the colours around so x-wings were red, and ywings gold instead.

:goonsay:

• Locked thread