Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Yeah let's keep it on track please, none of this poo poo is going to be in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Three updates:

NOLA: I've had a positive report from a New Orleansian. He's worked on digging, but the Summer season grounds have made th ground really dry and challenging for the average wrist. After a couple good rains, I'm sure he'll report back with some results. There's a very minor issue with the fact that the police station is just across the street, but nobody cares.

Boston: Bueller...Bueller...? *cough*

Boston: 2 of the 3 people I've been in contact with in Boston have moved on. Person 3 is AWOL. Basically, nobody is picking up on what I'm saying, so there's nothing going on with checking the site in person. It would be nice to know if 5 steps along the fence line from the entrance gate actually matches up with the green light post being centered on the double S of the Somerset building.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Where was this guy from?

I wouldn't be surprised if all solves are Midwest with maybe one west coast moneyshot. Finds in poo poo cities like Chicago and Cleveland kinda reinforce that. Other solves are probably realistically Kansas City, Memphis, Detroit, Cincinnati, etc.

This guy probably didn't have all kinds of travel money and I guess his big dig could be international in Canada. Niagra falls area.

There's probably a blatant solve in like Minneapolis if you think about it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

swims posted:

Where was this guy from?

I wouldn't be surprised if all solves are Midwest with maybe one west coast moneyshot. Finds in poo poo cities like Chicago and Cleveland kinda reinforce that. Other solves are probably realistically Kansas City, Memphis, Detroit, Cincinnati, etc.

This guy probably didn't have all kinds of travel money and I guess his big dig could be international in Canada. Niagra falls area.

There's probably a blatant solve in like Minneapolis if you think about it.

He was from New York, I'm not sure whether that means it's more or less likely that one of the casks is there.

Also, now that I know the Milwaukee portrait's neckpiece represents a concrete construction block, I see that same drat block in lots of buildings near my office. (which is not in the continental US).

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Abugadu posted:

He was from New York, I'm not sure whether that means it's more or less likely that one of the casks is there.

Also, now that I know the Milwaukee portrait's neckpiece represents a concrete construction block, I see that same drat block in lots of buildings near my office. (which is not in the continental US).

In addition to Milwaukee, which is undisputed, we also know without a doubt that there is a cask in Charleston and one in/around Roanoke Island.

Edit:

Image 2 / Charleston

Image 3 / Roanoke

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 8, 2015

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
I dispute Roanoke. The shape of Roanoke may be only a way of confirming place of the intersection along Highway 12 to the road that leads to the land near the window. Whether we are being taken down that road into Roanoke or not is questionable.

E:

Update: I don't know the specific details, but someone in Houston did a dig yesterday at the Children's Zoo, which seems utterly pointless in my opinion, but hey, they dug and upon whatever merits they are hoping the park will grant them permission to dig in some of the higher foot traffic areas.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 9, 2015

swims
May 5, 2014

Is their wrist ok?

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Cask 1, San Francisco

Is this a rough, cartoonish rendering of Mark Twain's face or am I having a bout of pariedolia? Also there was a ton of traffic on the way home today from SF and I was staring out the window when I saw Coit Tower, and wondered if the window on the rock in this picture might not be one of the tower's arched windows or openings. I got home and it definitely is not.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

whoa, that totally looks like Will Vinton's Twain.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Is there another forum about this where people are actually putting shovels in the ground without having their wrists snap?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is Xie banned? He should be for whatever it is he did. Lied? Looks like he lied. No actual proof just lots of words and broken promises.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

joshtothemaxx posted:

Is there another forum about this where people are actually putting shovels in the ground without having their wrists snap?

A new user at Q4T posted a photo of his dig in Houston last weekend. He hasn't discussed his theory other than saying he's scouted some places where the painting lines up closely with some areas in the (past?) Children's Zoo area and off to the side of the Miller Outdoor Theater. He's on site today. I asked him to count off 24 or 25 paces from the Atropos Key statue to see if that looks like an interesting spot as far as how various points of interest line up.

I had for the most part given up hope on the Houston site. There's been a lot of thorough research done by SA goons and others on Houston, but nobody's yielded any really great prospects. Most of my work on Houston from afar has been some of the most completely stupid poo poo. I thought for a time that the Children's Zoo was the place, because someone said a Llama named Snowflake lived there in the 80's. I also thought there was some overlap with Battle Star Galactica, because a lion headed fountain near the entrance of the children's zoo reminded me of the Viper pilot helmets and I thought, "nobody would fear putting their head in the fake lion's jaws for a drink of water." I struggled with the lines "Small, split / Three winged and slight" for a long time also, thinking it had to do with identifying a specific tree leaf.

The only Houston theory that makes sense to me now is the Atropos Key being lined up with the roof of the Miller Outdoor Theater, but again I have some outrageous thought that one of these treasure hunt locations has to do with Santa Claus. While reading the introductory stories of the Fair Folk, I couldn't help but notice the odd character called "Ruddy Alf," wearing his "reindeer hide boots". Is this just some old Viking explorer or is it a hint for Rudolf the red nosed reindeer? Another clue, from the Litany of the Jewels says "The Ruby out of Araby: Scarlet of desert sky at dawn," which in the usual far-fetched manner could be applied to the Santa Claus and Rudolph story. This puzzle is playing tricks.

Here's my Houston proposed spot,

E:
So my thinking is that Preiss found the Atropos location interesting and picked the out the line that places the tip-point of the theater right in the center of the four-sided figure in the face fo Atropos. This requires laying down and looking up at the sculpture and theater at ground level. Preiss then marked the spot and paced to the sculpture or the nearest light tower and counted 25 paces. Thinking on how to hint of the number 25, I think he then drew a parallel to the date of Christmas and tailored the puzzle to take on the extra meaning. Some of the lines in the image might represent the number 25, or I'm just seeing things,

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 13, 2015

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Waltzing Along posted:

Is Xie banned? He should be for whatever it is he did. Lied? Looks like he lied. No actual proof just lots of words and broken promises.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

please let me know when one is found, than you

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maybe Xie can't post. He probably started digging and broke both his wrists.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

No man, I saw him posting in another thread, I told him to get his butt into gear...no reply :(

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Maybe Xie can't post. He probably started digging and broke both his wrists.

Nah, the ground is still hard from the ice that is covering the ground AND he is on vacation after a tough time at college and will dig when he returns. :airquote:

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Rondette posted:

No man, I saw him posting in another thread, I told him to get his butt into gear...no reply :(

Someone did say that they'd close the tread until concrete stuff happens, so I can understand why he's not posting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Waltzing Along posted:

I was 100% in support of the dude but I think he either a) dug and found nothing, and is ashamed or b) is getting cold feet and terrified of digging and finding nothing, and now is ashamed

he successfully convinced me that this thread wasn't a total disaster and then failed to execute. Shameful.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
There's nothing in that image that even points to Boston concretely. It is a lot of wishful thinking

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
it's also going to start snowing in Boston again soon and well can't dig when there's snow on the ground :shrug:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Levitate posted:

it's also going to start snowing in Boston again soon and well can't dig when there's snow on the ground :shrug:

Don't say that

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

New England Autumn/Winters are no joke. If anyone wants to dig in Boston they've got until early October before the ground gets too hard to be worth the effort.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

At Houston's Miller Outdoor Theater and the Atropos sculpture,

Maybe we can work wirh this idea.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Okay which one of your doofuses thought something was in the NYC sewer system: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/08/13/sewer-treasure-hunt-flatbush/

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The best part of that article is that the police chief is really, really, really angry about these grown men voluntarily crawling around in poo poo-filled sewer for treasure. You would think they took hostages or something.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Urban Smurf posted:

Urban Smurf posted:

Is that the only acute triangle shape in all of Houston?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Probate Xie for 99 years or whatever until he produces something verifiable. Whether it be the working theory which would be posted in the thread, or scanned copies of whatever legal documents he had to fill out. Also an explanation of delay. Mod challenge or whatever. :colbert:

In other words, some proof.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

Probate Xie for 99 years or whatever until he produces something verifiable. Whether it be the working theory which would be posted in the thread, or scanned copies of whatever legal documents he had to fill out. Also an explanation of delay. Mod challenge or whatever. :colbert:

In other words, some proof.

This, and whats funny is the OP even punched out of this trainwreck Sept 2013.

Its over rock!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Or just close it again because you fuckers are irritating

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Double Life Theory: P9 V10

This deserves some serious consideration. I call it the Double Life Theory for it's relevance to the poet Pauline Johnson, aka Tekahionwake (translates to mean "double-life"). Her mother was English and her father was Dutch-Mohawk. She was born in Brantford, Ontario and her grave is the only established grave site in Stanley Park, Vancouver B.C. There are many great books and about 100 poems by her. A mix of considerations bring some connection to this idea of "double-life".

1) Hans Christian Anderson's tale of the Little Mermaid is about the youngest daughter of the Sea-King who seeks to live a double life. A powerful "draught" tranforms her tail into a pair of legs so she can be as a human on land and meet a young prince. The first sentence of the story talks about measuring the depth of the ocean by stacking church steeples. P9 shows a man making steeples with his hands and IMHO is a caricature of Hans Christian Anderson.

2) The first line of V10 is also the same title as a poem by Pauline Johnson. She writes often about shadows in Legends of Vancouver and talks about Native gods/chiefs that were transformed into large distinctive rocks formations. There is Homolsom rock at Point Grey and Siwash Rock at Ferguson Point. Siwash looks very similar to the outline of the collar in P9 which also has features similar to the map of Montreal.

3) "Double" jumps are used in the game of checkers. V10 tells us to go twice as many steps as the hour to see simple roots. There is a landmark named "9 o'clock". See map. It looks like a doubling of the distance from the 9 o'clock Gun to a spot just outside of Brockton's Cricket Oval will take you to the Giant Checkerboards. Checkerboards are made of squares. "Square-roots" are the lowest order or simplest root in math.

When you look at the map link I've provided, there are some shockingly intense riddles.

"Or gaze north to the isle of B." Based on the legeater lamp, having three legs, I was tempted to consider the three legged symbol for Isle of Man. The captial of Isle of Man is Douglas, thus the last line gives us the name of Douglas B. and with a lot of luck, someone can learn from some archive that Douglas Brown commisioned the "Girl in Wetsuit" to mimic the Mermaid of Copenhagen. I find it absolutely compelling that the Isle of Man is considered to be named for Manannan Mac Lir, the King/Son of the Sea. This looks like as good as it gets to work with the Little Mermaid motif.

"You'll often hear a whirring sound" I think this fits just fine with a word definition where whirring means a repetitive, low, continuous sound when you consider the Brockton Oval is a large cricket playing field. I think the jewel position adjacent to the oval shaped caricature of Hans Christian Anderson.

I'm still very puzzled by how to interpret things in a linear fashion. I'm unsure if we're being told to dig near the checkerboards or near a spot where you look north at the Girl in Wetsuit sculpture. I don't know what the "middle of one of the branches of the v" points us towards. I'm still overwhelmed by more questions than answers. I don't see myself traveling to Vancouver anytime soon. Would anyone living closer to Vancouver like to get their feet on the ground and help find a solution?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo yes, Urban Smurf is back on the case

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
The walkway in the center part of the picture is shaped like a V and on the left "branch" there is a white speck of something in the middle of it. I don't have paint so I can't really point it out better than that. That's my 2 cents for this thread bye.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Saw thread was bumped, got excited

nope, xie still isn't digging

swims
May 5, 2014

Lol me too. It's almost winter so digging is out of the question. Summer is around the corner and that is hiking season btw.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Xie how's the wrist?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Saw thread was bumped, got excited

nope, xie still isn't digging

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is the one I've spent time thinking about. Look at the shape of the guy's collar. It's a pretty tight match for the one end of this racetrack in Montreal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_Gilles_Villeneuve

Which also accounts for the checker shapes.

The Island is Notre-Dame, though. But it's manmade.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Xie
Xie sits in silence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

HoboZero posted:

Xie
Xie sits in silence