Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Spiderfist Island posted:

Tenra Bansho Zero, maybe? I'm not too familiar with how it works in practice though.

apocalypse world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You only have yourself to blame for not wording the question more correct and specifically.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The dude in the foreground was basically literally my app for a Spirit of 77 game, so.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

wow way to be completely unhelpful

it's plutonis

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Motobushido.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

it's plutonis

Do I know you?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

drrockso20 posted:

okay people find me a game that can pull this sort of campaign setting off;

Well Strike! has rules for fighting Titans and rules for motorcycle chases. So my completely unbiased and totally objective opinion is to go with that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jimbozig posted:

Well Strike! has rules for fighting Titans and rules for motorcycle chases. So my completely unbiased and totally objective opinion is to go with that.

mind linking to where I can buy it, doesn't seem to be on DriveThruStuff/RPGNow

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

drrockso20 posted:

mind linking to where I can buy it, doesn't seem to be on DriveThruStuff/RPGNow

You can pre-order it on https://www.strikerpg.com and you'll get the final rules text right away, and the prettied up version with a proper layout and pictures as soon as it's done.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Will it eventually end up on dtrpg, though? That would be nice.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Cthulhu is a fail rear end Monster that got knocked out by ramming a boat on it. That poo poo wouldn't work even on the crappiest Kaiju like the giant lobster that Godzilla fought.

:eng101: Ebira, and in final wars he was taken by some half alien dudes with guns so it's a 50/50 really.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Someone please post good games about cars moving to distract me from my life while I wait for AAA and my grandmother pees on my car.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Good games about Cars?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Speaking of cars and post-apocalyptic settings, two Finnish RPG designers are working on a generic RPG system called Ironcore and the pilot game for the system is going to basically be Cthulhu meets Mad Max: http://ironspine.com/wp/en/blog/2015/08/12/ironcore-engine/

I'm not that excited about the system (it seems okay, but nothing to get hype about) but I love the basic pitch for the setting. Might check it out when it's available to see if I can steal stuff from it for Apocalypse World or Atomic Highway.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 15, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tulul posted:

Someone please post good games about cars moving to distract me from my life while I wait for AAA and my grandmother pees on my car.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Swagger Dagger posted:

Technoir is pretty good!

So after having this mentioned here and in another thread I started looking into the game and while I see some good stuff written about it, I also see that the author apparently completely bailed on his stretch goals for his 24k (2.5k goal) kickstarter. That makes me a bit leery of wanting to give the dude any cash.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So after having this mentioned here and in another thread I started looking into the game and while I see some good stuff written about it, I also see that the author apparently completely bailed on his stretch goals for his 24k (2.5k goal) kickstarter. That makes me a bit leery of wanting to give the dude any cash.

Technoir and Mechnoir exist and are good, at least. YMMV on the other poo poo. I got the game I backed so I don't care too much.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yo I am still trying to decide what edition of D&D I wanna get back into. I have read the quickstart rules for 4th and 5th, and have acquired a bunch of the old 1ed books I have in storage somewhere. Now that there are two 1st ed PBP games I can get a refresher of that edition, but I would love a recommendation for a really good PBP game for 4th and 5th. Preferably ones that show off the mechanics well. Thanks dudes!

EDIT: I assume 2nd is much like 1st and 3rd is too weird to mess with.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah 3 is way too clunky. Which is why 3.5 is a welcome upgrade and fix to it so you should try it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

bunnielab posted:

Yo I am still trying to decide what edition of D&D I wanna get back into. I have read the quickstart rules for 4th and 5th, and have acquired a bunch of the old 1ed books I have in storage somewhere. Now that there are two 1st ed PBP games I can get a refresher of that edition, but I would love a recommendation for a really good PBP game for 4th and 5th. Preferably ones that show off the mechanics well. Thanks dudes!

5e plays like a slimmed down 3.5e. It got a lot of the same fundamental problems, but it easy to learn at least. 4e is much better designed but also a lot more complex. It also has a much heavier focus on the (much improved) combat. I'm not super familiar with 4e, but 13th Age is a DnD-like bade by former DnD writers that I really like, and that runs like a trimmed down 4e.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

What are some good places to hunt for PbP games?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

paradoxGentleman posted:

I keep the recruitment thread bookmarked and check whenever there's a new post.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654812

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Also regarding PbPs: I'm considering getting Heroquest Glorantha 2E, but I want to see how it actually plays. Are there any PbPs or podcasts of gameplay sessions out there on the internet for it?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bunnielab posted:

Don't play any D&D. Play something else. What kind of game do you want to run?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnielab posted:

Second is nothing like first. Second is its own weird thing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

bunnielab posted:

Personally I'd suggest looking into BX/BECMI/RC era D&D or one of the OSR/Retroclones of it(several of which are available for free in PDF format)

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Since there is no such thing as 'good' PbP,

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Since there is no such thing as 'good' PbP,

Yeah, pretty much this. There is at least like a 75% chance that the GM or the majority of players wander off within a month or two of starting.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. There is at least like a 75% chance that the GM or the majority of players wander off within a month or two of starting.

Even on that Ars Magica game you GMed which is on a system that lends itself to loving PBP easier than most systems, half of the party bailed in a month despite the fact we had a loving skype group to hurry people up. *makes the crying angry feel guy face*

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
If you're going to GM a game on here, you have to be willing to be rude and prod or kick folks as necessary. Most GMs, frankly, just let games stall out when players flake and don't do anything about it, and the game dies as a result. There are a number of reasons games die, but that's the #1 I see over and over.

Fear of even the mildest confrontation is a nerd perennial, but people need to either admit when they don't have the time or enthusiasm for a game, and GMs need to recognize the signs and act when they don't.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Don't play any D&D. Play something else. What kind of game do you want to run?

I want D&D due to intense nostalgia. The 1ed books I was given as a kid in the 90's were this portal to crazy 70's madness that I just loved. I want a game that could be airbrushed on a dude's van. I want 10' poles and encumbrance tables. But, I also want to try some PBP stuff as I have a weird schedule so I will never get to play in real life, so I want to learn one of the more current systems and I haven't liked any of the more modern rules lite games I have looks into. Like, they look fun, but not the very specific D&D itch.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

bunnielab posted:

I want D&D due to intense nostalgia. The 1ed books I was given as a kid in the 90's were this portal to crazy 70's madness that I just loved. I want a game that could be airbrushed on a dude's van. I want 10' poles and encumbrance tables. But, I also want to try some PBP stuff as I have a weird schedule so I will never get to play in real life, so I want to learn one of the more current systems and I haven't liked any of the more modern rules lite games I have looks into. Like, they look fun, but not the very specific D&D itch.

Try 4e or 13th Age then. 13th Age is a DnD game in all but name, and is by no means rules lite.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, if you gotta play a D&D game, I recommend 13th Age, personally.

Alternatively, try Microlite20. :v:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Try Dungeon Crawl Classics

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2015/04/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-113-van-art-gaming/

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2015/04/genre/fantasy/dungeon-crawl-classics-sailors-on-the-starless-sea/

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I have to second this, not only because it's a great game(that's very well supported by not only it's publisher Goodman Games, but by 3rd party publishers, and by fans as well), but also cause it's an extremely beautiful book, and pretty much the only RPG books I can think of that look better are Limited/Special Edition affairs or are extremely high quality even by normal book publishing standards(like the Guide to Glorantha set)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bunnielab posted:

You won't really get a feel for either of them from PbP, but 5E probably has less to lose from the transition. Make sure to play a spellcaster. Otherwise, play one of the D&D-alikes listed above.

I'm currently getting my 10 foot pole fix from running Torchbearer.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

bunnielab posted:

I read a number of 4e PBPs a few years back. The September Procession is apparently still running and I recall it being pretty good at the time.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

bunnielab posted:

Play Dungeon Crawl Classics, Darker Dungeons, or just straight up BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia era D&D. Modern D&D isn't really going to give you what you want aside from having wizards and poo poo in it.

edit: Darker Dungeons - http://www.gratisgames.webspace.virginmedia.com/extras.html
Rules Cyclopedia - http://www.dndclassics.com/product/17171/DD-Rules-Cyclopedia-Basic?it=1&filters=0_0_44699

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 16, 2015

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
If you want something real new and you can tolerate Luke Crane's thesaurus abuse, you want Torchbearer.

If you really just want old D&D, you want Darker Dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I had forgotten how polarizing D&D is. I have looked at some of the other games you guys suggested, but I don't see a lot of PBP games for them, and that will have to be how I play. I understand 4th ed is super polarizing, but honestly I cannot get past the minis/grid focus. It seems to be if I want something like that I might as well play a wargame or a skirmish mini game. Maybe I am overreacting though, which is why I am looking for a game to read. On that note:

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I read a number of 4e PBPs a few years back. The September Procession is apparently still running and I recall it being pretty good at the time.

Thanks!

And oddly enough, actual old D&D never appealed to me. It was 1st ed AD&D that won my heart. I keep finding stuff that I had completely forgotten about. Just the other day I bought the PDF for this old favorite:

So many tables :allears:

• Locked thread