Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

I look forward to more pictures of candidates looking dumb at my states fair. It is our greatest contribution to the election cycle. :patriot:

I'm on my way back home from the fair now (I'm not currently an Iowa, but I was, and will be again decently soon), and got to see three candidate speeches today, as well as the George Washington impersonator in that picture above me. He was awesome, and then Huckabee came out and I shook my head a bunch. A few hours later Jim Webb managed to excite not a single person in the crowd with his boring military dem talk, and then O'Malley brought a bunch of Drake students/volunteers to cheer for him. He sounded better than Webb (low bar), but something struck me as off about him. Like a weird half-way between Bernie and an establishment Dem.

I stood next to W Kamau Bell for half of the O'Malley speech, he was on the scene for CNN. This happened:

edit: Mike Huckabee won the crucial "Iowan" vote when the first thing he mentioned was eating pork chops on a stick for breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner. Also, a Pizza Ranch shoutout. After that speech (wherein even I laughed a couple times, because he's got a pretty folksy charm), I understand why he does so well in Iowa. In a race where even republican Iowans are mad at Terry Branstad for loving with the education budget, he's about as close to an "Iowa Republican" as you get.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rocks posted:

Why is Martin o Malley even running , serious question

What if everyone else takes a bullet? Martin O'Malley!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

GalacticAcid posted:

This article is over five years old, but "Two More Massage Therapists Accuse Al Gore of Sexual Assault is trending on Twitter. Somehow I missed this when it occurred, but if it's reentering public consciousness it will absolutely be used a GOP talking point to disarm the "war on women" rhetoric and a way to taint the Clinton-Gore Administration.

I anticipate ugliness.

Interesting. He's a non-starter if there is validity here.

Al Gore is also fat as of the most recent picture I've seen of him, not a good look.

One tailwind is going to be the climate over the next 6-9 months, as a strong El Nino (which we've entered) raises temps and wreaks havoc worldwide. I'm assuming Al Gore would be running on two issues, climate and the fact that he isn't Hillary.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm on my way back home from the fair now (I'm not currently an Iowa, but I was, and will be again decently soon), and got to see three candidate speeches today, as well as the George Washington impersonator in that picture above me. He was awesome, and then Huckabee came out and I shook my head a bunch. A few hours later Jim Webb managed to excite not a single person in the crowd with his boring military dem talk, and then O'Malley brought a bunch of Drake students/volunteers to cheer for him. He sounded better than Webb (low bar), but something struck me as off about him. Like a weird half-way between Bernie and an establishment Dem.

I stood next to W Kamau Bell for half of the O'Malley speech, he was on the scene for CNN. This happened:

You were right next to joementum and didn't even say hi, rude.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Thump! posted:

Trump running a third party and taking away even 10% of the GOP vote nationwide means every state goes to the Dems, wouldn't it?

The 1992 map might be a good indicator of what happens since Perot got almost 20% of the vote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1992

Nessus posted:

Clinton/Gore 2016. Put Bill on the billboards: "Remember me?"

Hillary picking Gore as her VP would be just about the funniest thing ever.

Is Dan Quayle still alive and kicking?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Let's be real, Huckabee would be thrilled to sell this man

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

echronorian posted:

:yikes:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

echronorian posted:

Amazing, amazing.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Nonsense posted:

Amazing, amazing.

What the hell is that. Is that Blitzer wearing a fake beard? Why is he doing that?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its is real time election results beard

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

echronorian posted:

:eyepop:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Now Fiorina's talking about the Chinese islands. I think they're going to be this year's EMP.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

But what about our cyberwalls? :ohdear:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

echronorian posted:

That is a very funny post that highlights some excellent issues.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

Now Fiorina's talking about the Chinese islands. I think they're going to be this year's EMP.

Is that where she'll put the demon sheep?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Somehow I doubt that O'Malley and the other not-Sanders guy have any delusions about winning, but a campaign is always good practice for a future run. Builds connections, experience. Might even level up off of it.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
More Carson/Abortion stuff is popping up today. Freepers are passing this link around:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/251078-carson-abortion-pill-should-be-available-in-cases-of-rape-or-incest

"Carson: 'Abortion pill' should be available in cases of rape or incest"

And this is what Freep thinks of his stance...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3324443/posts#comment

quote:

So murder the child because his dad was a monster?

Well, that’s one too many strikes Bennie.

2 posted on 8/13/2015, 6:38:18 PM by AmericanCheeseFood

quote:

Goodbye Carson, it was nice knowing you. Thanks for accepting the leftist premise that rape and incest makes up a significant portion of abortions, when in fact it's less than one-tenth of 1%.

War on Wimminz!
3 posted on 8/13/2015, 6:39:38 PM by Extremely Extreme Extremist (Bush [the 90s rock band] for POTUS 2016!!!)

quote:

Got that right. If abortion is okay in “certain cases” like rape and incest, then, quite frankly it’s okay anytime. WHy can’t people see this simple logic: it’s always a baby, the baby is ALWAYS innocent, you can never murder a baby.

6 posted on 8/13/2015, 6:41:05 PM by vladimir998 (Apparently I'm still living in your head rent free. At least now it isn't empty.)

Freepers and their ilk were big supporters of Carson, he loses them it's bad news for him.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

2016 Presidential Primary: War on Wimminz!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And so Carson will leave the stage, as inexplicably and suddenly as he arrived....

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

More Carson/Abortion stuff is popping up today. Freepers are passing this link around:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/251078-carson-abortion-pill-should-be-available-in-cases-of-rape-or-incest

Freepers and their ilk were big supporters of Carson, he loses them it's bad news for him.

From the article, it looks like Carson might have mixed up RU-486 and the morning-after pill.

Personally, I thought this bit was pretty interesting:

quote:

Carson’s response provoked Cavuto to ask him whether he believes life begins at conception.

“Certainly once the heart starts beating, certainly at that point,” Carson responded.

The heart doesn't start beating until 5-6 weeks into the pregnancy.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Montasque posted:

"If abortion is okay in “certain cases” like rape and incest, then, quite frankly it’s okay anytime."

they're right but for the wrong reasons

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The unforeseen liability of being a brilliant doctor who has done research, helped people with medical care.

Ben Carson: the man who knew too much.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

So is this just 'by chance' that all this Carson/Abortion stuff is popping up a few days after it comes out he's doing well in post debate polls?

Hmm....

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Montasque posted:

So is this just 'by chance' that all this Carson/Abortion stuff is popping up a few days after it comes out he's doing well in post debate polls?

Hmm....
At this high of a level in politics almost nothing happens by chance.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

JT Jag posted:

At this high of a level in politics almost nothing happens by chance.

Absolutely this is not by chance. On the same day they bring up Carson's stance on Abortion they hit Trump on the same subject. Difference is Trump supporters care more about illegals and general fascism than abortion. The same cannot be said for Carson supporters.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Montasque posted:

Hmm....

You could get lost in some kind of Illuminati conspiracy if you want, or you could think logically about it and realize that yes, he's being taken just seriously enough to incur some opposition research and this came up.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

You could get lost in some kind of Illuminati conspiracy if you want, or you could think logically about it and realize that yes, he's being taken just seriously enough to incur some opposition research and this came up.

No conspiracy theory, just well planned political movements against an opponent is all I'm saying.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
(Bush [the 90s rock band] for POTUS 2016!!!)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Yoshifan823 posted:

edit: Mike Huckabee won the crucial "Iowan" vote when the first thing he mentioned was eating pork chops on a stick for breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner. Also, a Pizza Ranch shoutout. After that speech (wherein even I laughed a couple times, because he's got a pretty folksy charm), I understand why he does so well in Iowa. In a race where even republican Iowans are mad at Terry Branstad for loving with the education budget, he's about as close to an "Iowa Republican" as you get.

Yeah he always goes over well. I've seen him twice and that folksy, dad, pastor act in his speech swoons conservative hearts in Iowa. Amazes me he isn't higher in here.

Was Jim Webb awful? I imagine he is awful. Any good pictures or things seen or overheard? Those are usually the best times to hear or see something dumb.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah he always goes over well. I've seen him twice and that folksy, dad, pastor act in his speech swoons conservative hearts in Iowa. Amazes me he isn't higher in here.

Was Jim Webb awful? I imagine he is awful. Any good pictures or things seen or overheard? Those are usually the best times to hear or see something dumb.

Webbmentum!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I wish there was a way to trigger horns.aiff whenever someone finishes reading this

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Holy poo poo tomorrow can't come soon enough.:lol:

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Not everything is more clever with -mentum at the end. Some things. But not everything.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
When referring to campaign volunteers, he should talk about having "Webbed feet" on the ground in Iowa.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AssassinPrincess posted:

Not everything is more clever with -mentum at the end. Some things. But not everything.

Hence, Kasicceleration (which is real)

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Berninertia

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

blue squares posted:

would there be any real negative consequences to the liberal states seceding peacefully?

The red states would collapse because they all lose money ie they are supported by blue state welfare

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Reminder: the -mentum suffix was first used by a candidate who had just tied for third place and dropped out shortly thereafter.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
He missed the most obvious one, #Web4Webb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://vine.co/v/edXbvrwdpgE

• Locked thread