Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

FRINGE posted:

Too bad the politically active bicycle nuts (in Seattle) will not tolerate! being separated from cars. I bet that author is a bicycle-hating Hitler trying to round up the jews bicyclists!

It is a Jesus granted right to weave in and out of car lanes, bike lanes, and sidewalks! Just like our angelic paleo-bicyclist forebears did!
You're seriously overreacting here, man. Did you miss that awesome Baronjutter post I quoted?

quote:

American cycling culture is sort of hosed up. It's understandable, but hosed up. Basically to cycle in most of the US is dangerous and unpleasant plus you face a lot of hate on the road, this leads to mostly the more "hard core" cyclists doing it. They wear ridiculous skin-tight outfits, get racing bikes, and generally develop a huge chip on their shoulder due to the (quite real) war they fight on the roads every day. At the same time a lot of them hold really bad opinions on cycling and infrastructure in general and normal people don't become interested in cycling because it's just a thing weird angry dudes in lycra bodysuits do, plus who wants to be one of those assholes "taking the lane" and causing a huge traffic jam behind them? Then you've also got the hard core cyclists who have been so hosed up by their constant war for space/rights on the road against cars that they absolutely refuse the idea of separated dutch style cycle infrastructure. It's not about making cycling safe and pleasant, it's about winning the war against cars.
The purpose of protected bike lanes is not to appease this demographic. They're gonna bike basically no matter what.

No, it's about providing a safe, comfortable space for people who are decidedly NOT hardcore, take-no-prisoners-in-the-war-against-cars brodown supercyclists. Ideally, biking to work, or to school, or to the store, should be mundane, just like driving to those things is mundane. It should not be, for most people, an aggressive, ideological statement.

edit: I was gonna say something about Seattle Bike Blog being saner than whatever source you posted, then realized that it WAS what you posted, then realized that the dumb quotation was from a user comment, not the article itself. Yeah, commenters can be extreme, but I haven't seen any extremist anti-car nonsense from the blog proper since I started reading it a bit ago.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Bicyclists are retards

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Hopefully sanity will prevail.

:thejoke:

Now a different rant. That snippet about productivity-levels in the happy drone-hives:

Unless you are a wage-slave loving capitalist business owner this is a lovely place to argue from:

quote:

when the population of a city doubles, economic productivity goes up by an average of 130 percent. Not only does total productivity increase with increased population, but so does per-capita productivity.

Those lucky carless servents have time for two jobs now! Huzzah! Since they have high rent and no way to travel far they will be ripe for the fleecing!

Trees? Leisure time? gently caress you peasant get back to the field espresso machine/cubicle.

quote:

increasing employees’ opportunities for face-to-face interaction could boost corporations’ productivity

I smell business school.

Not to mention: Holy confounds!

quote:

Communities with frequent phone calls both inside and outside the area tend to have higher per-capita gross domestic products and better Gini coefficients (a measure of income equality). This suggests that they depend on both information acquisition and information integration. It seems that economists and city planners, no less than managers of large organizations, could still learn a thing or two from the bees.

"Offices with business people doing "business" things have higher 'per-capita gross domestic products' than farms and small towns."

loving genius poo poo right there.

edit- Im tired and extra grouchy about "business" today.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 14, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I imagine a few frequenters of this thread blacked out with rage while watching this video. Look at that city where all the poor impoverished car owners have no way to get around!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
That would never happen. People in Seattle hate the rain, snow, ice, wind, cold, and light mists more than people from the southwest. Its pretty funny.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Anything other than mild weather is bullshit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ditocoaf posted:

I imagine a few frequenters of this thread blacked out with rage while watching this video. Look at that city where all the poor impoverished car owners have no way to get around!

one of the youtube comments pointed out the problem:

quote:

In the Netherlands, before snow accumulates and freezes, municipalities take care that main cycle paths are quickly cleared of snow and ice, and salted, so that they are not slippery.

huge, huge lols if you think that would ever be done here

i mean i remember when portland international airport literally ran out of de-icer fluid during one storm, there's no way people would approve for ARE TAX DOLLERS to pay for snowplowing bike paths

also we don't salt roads in the PNW

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i mean i remember when portland international airport literally ran out of de-icer fluid during one storm, there's no way people would approve for ARE TAX DOLLERS to pay for snowplowing bike paths

Running out of decing fluid has nothing to do with tax dollars, since most airlines buy their own fluid and trucks, and pay a fee to the airport for use of a recovery system that keeps the runoff out of the local water system.

Since deicing fluid is stupidly expensive (about $10/gallon, plus the $200k trucks), airlines won't keep massive quantities on hand somewhere like PDX, since airplanes there typically won't need more than a quick spray to remove frost or maybe some light snow. When you have heavy snow or freezing rain (both of which require huge amounts of deice fluid to remove and keep off an airplane) that hangs around for a sustained period, it's pretty easy for airports that don't see a lot of that weather to get overwhelmed.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

As of 2008/2009 we do in parts of WA when it gets bad enough. OR salts I-5 over siskiyou pass too.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Roads do get salted in the PNW...and they have been for a lot longer than 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ditocoaf posted:

You have to watch it long enough for the payoff of the dude just plowing through on his motorized scooter.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I fantasize about a 5-cent increase per year in the gas tax at the federal level for, like, 4-6 years so that when the next gas price spike hits (when Saudi Arabia decides they've attacked Iran's economy enough) there will be an even larger influx of bikers than the 2007-2010 influx.

I'm glad that the US has stayed on a gradually-more-bike-friendly path over the past couple years even though gas prices are quite low in the short term. I really think there's a generational shift of millenials who came of age in the post 2007 world where high gas prices and low incomes forced many of us to avoid owning a car, even to the point of moving to a city (PDX, SEA, Boston, NYC) where we could pull that off.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I think a big reason for the generational shift in attitudes is that sprawl has a sort of built-in limit because cars adapt poorly to density. We've seen more concentration in major metros of the existing population as a result of the shift away from blue-collar factory work and towards white-collar and service work that doesn't need a lot of land. Plus, the US' population has continued to steadily increase. Combined together, you have these huge metro areas where sprawl has worked less and less well as more people move in. At some point you just run out of available land.

FRINGE posted:

Now a different rant. That snippet about productivity-levels in the happy drone-hives:

Unless you are a wage-slave loving capitalist business owner this is a lovely place to argue from:

Those lucky carless servents have time for two jobs now! Huzzah! Since they have high rent and no way to travel far they will be ripe for the fleecing!

Trees? Leisure time? gently caress you peasant get back to the field espresso machine/cubicle.
The article talks about higher productivity from greater specialization & trade, not from working more hours. I'm not sure where you got that idea from. Productivity gains are good, as they represent potential wage gains (of course in reality they often fail to turn into actual wage gains, but that's another problem).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cicero posted:

We've seen more concentration in major metros of the existing population as a result of the shift away from blue-collar factory work and towards white-collar and service work that doesn't need a lot of land.

It really has little to do with this. The reason why there was sprawl in the first place is that people had money and wanted to live in single family dwellings.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

computer parts posted:

It really has little to do with this. The reason why there was sprawl in the first place is that people had money and wanted to live in single family dwellings.

It accelerated in the 60s, though, with the creation of Fannie Mae and the use of Federal funds to subsidize private mortgage loans in order to increase the levels of home ownership. Home owners tend to spend more than renters, and having the Fed buy private mortgage loans so the private credit companies can hand out more loans was intended to increase the velocity of money in the economy. Fast forward to the late capitalism of the 21st century and you have the crash of 2008.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Long NYT article on Amazon: “Nearly every person I worked with, I saw cry at their desk.”

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

It's a good article, but for some reason doesn't delve into the labor abuses for blue collar amazon workers other than a sentence on ware house workers literally passing out from heat exhaustion with ambulances waiting outside the door instead of making tolerable work conditions.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Optimus Subprime posted:

It's a good article, but for some reason doesn't delve into the labor abuses for blue collar amazon workers other than a sentence on ware house workers literally passing out from heat exhaustion with ambulances waiting outside the door instead of making tolerable work conditions.
It was about the Seattle mini-city, and the warehouses are not there.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

That's not necessarily true as they put some emphasis on their east coast operations as well, it was more a profile of Amazon's white collar work force and their hr policies.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd take heat exhaustion over that kind of white collar work culture.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

You realize you can die from heat stroke, right? And they're not nearly compensated to a comparable level of their white collar counterparts.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Optimus Subprime posted:

You realize you can die from heat stroke, right?
You are obviously not the kind of uberman that Amazon approves of. Blacklisted.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Go work in their new Kent warehouse and tell us what it's like.

http://jobs.integritystaffing.com/job/?itemID=10801

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

BraveUlysses posted:

I'd take heat exhaustion over that kind of white collar work culture.

have you ever worked in a warehouse? because i have and tbh my time spent dealing with bullshit office politics was heavenly compared to any of the warehouse jobs i've ever had

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001

Ernie Muppari posted:

have you ever worked in a warehouse? because i have and tbh my time spent dealing with bullshit office politics was heavenly compared to any of the warehouse jobs i've ever had
As though warehouses don't have 'office politics' sometimes its all the workers do.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I worked at Amazon and it was ok. They stiffed me on raises as hard as possible but I definitely wasn't overworked unreasonably, there was occasional crunch but not that much. I think on average they treat developers more nicely than the other white-collar workers though since they're so hard to replace. I certainly don't remember any devs working 80 hour weeks.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ernie Muppari posted:

I've worked in both as well. Heat Stroke aside, I'd probably opt for the warehouse simply because while being physically exhausted sucks, the level of stress and mental exhaustion I had from working in a techbro ubermensch environment was probably the worst time of my life.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Kurt_Cobain posted:

As though warehouses don't have 'office politics' sometimes its all the workers do.

yeah i probably should've specified that i only had to deal with bullshit politics in my office jobs, as opposed to politics plus physically deleterious working conditions in the warehouse ones

Error 404 posted:

I've worked in both as well. Heat Stroke aside, I'd probably opt for the warehouse simply because while being physically exhausted sucks, the level of stress and mental exhaustion I had from working in a techbro ubermensch environment was probably the worst time of my life.

well yeah, if your average low paying warehouse job wasn't all about completely physically destroying you it would be better than a lovely not-high-paying-enough office job

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ernie Muppari posted:

yeah i probably should've specified that i only had to deal with bullshit politics in my office jobs, as opposed to politics plus physically deleterious working conditions in the warehouse ones

well yeah, if your average low paying warehouse job wasn't all about completely physically destroying you it would be better than a lovely not-high-paying-enough office job

Yeah, I'm not so much disagreeing with you here as pointing out that for some folks the mental strain of office work takes more of a toll than the physical strain of warehousing.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
The main difference in my eyes is that the warehouse workers are getting hosed by Amazon because they don't have a choice, and the office workers are getting hosed by Amazon because they don't know any better or even think it's acceptable or honorable to work 80 hours in a week. Both of these situations are exploitation.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I think we all can agree on 'gently caress Amazon.'

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

FRINGE posted:

It was about the Seattle mini-city, and the warehouses are not there.

Yes they are far away in the dystopia known as Kent!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

Yes they are far away in the dystopia known as Kent!
I have seen the signs with this name "Kent". Long have I held that it is a myth like lost Tanelorn...

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

It's a black hole of traffic. Once you go in, you can never get out.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I worked at the Kennewick Amazon customer support office as a normal phone CSR, it was at least as bad a job as the time I spent being an outbound telemarketer. I freaked the gently caress out, took 90 days of medical leave, returned on the scheduled date for about an hour and walked out.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

This article is pretty spot on, I really try to avoid folks fresh off the Amazon train. It breeds a certain toxic working relationship and ultra competitiveness that's not healthy. I've been living in Eastlake for almost a year now and the most distasteful encounters I have had were with Amazon "Devs".

"Yes I work IT, I'm an admin/infrastructure guy, yes I've built a couple web applications/appliances, no I'm not giving you my contact information so your hiring goons will harass me for the next 3 months. Also no I probably don't understand your super specific Dev environment off the top of my head, and I rather you not insult me for the next 30 min on my chosen areas of study."

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 16, 2015

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Optimus Subprime posted:

You realize you can die from heat stroke, right? And they're not nearly compensated to a comparable level of their white collar counterparts.

Without minimizing the horrific treatment Amazon gives its employees semi-affiliated subcontractors who expose their South Lake Union overlords to zero liability, I'd be very interested to know how suicide rates at Amazon white-collar jobs match up to other employers' numbers.

Cicero posted:

I worked at Amazon and it was ok. They stiffed me on raises as hard as possible but I definitely wasn't overworked unreasonably, there was occasional crunch but not that much. I think on average they treat developers more nicely than the other white-collar workers though since they're so hard to replace. I certainly don't remember any devs working 80 hour weeks.

Maybe, but there are an awful lot of devs out there who leave Amazon on very short notice - quickly enough that they're still on the hook to pay back their signing money. A <1yr stint as an Amazon employee right out of college on a resume doesn't even raise eyebrows.

warderenator
Nov 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I was there for several years too. Its not as bad as the article makes it sound all the time, but definitely stressful. The plus side is that if you can get a job there you can get a job at lots of other places too, so if you don't like it nbd, just go somewhere else.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Imagine being an adult and riding a bicycle around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Imagine being an adult and riding a bicycle around

Lawyers know how to work that bonus lawsuit money.

All he needs is a dog on his lap and hes a normal suburu.

• Locked thread