Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Feinne posted:

So the thing is that at her core Cass actually agrees with one of Zill's core beliefs. Zill doesn't think humans have any value, and Cass agrees with that in respect to her self.

I think that 'the box is empty' is significantly more anime than Shirotaka marrying both Sarlys.

I mean, the second was pretty drat fetishy, but it was a logical conclusion; both sides are the same person, and you can't just pick one side of a person, you have to accept all of them.

In contrast...well, it might just be the kinds of anime I watch, but I've seen so many heroines that have absolutely no self confidence it's getting on my nerves. It's an easy way to make the male character important while not actually having to do anything (make her feel better about herself by loving her for who she is!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Hellioning posted:

In contrast...well, it might just be the kinds of anime I watch, but I've seen so many heroines that have absolutely no self confidence it's getting on my nerves. It's an easy way to make the male character important while not actually having to do anything (make her feel better about herself by loving her for who she is!)

Yeah now that you mention it, that (and anyone still being willing to believe or even listen to anything Zill says, even subconsciously) is probably what I should be more mad at here.

I think I'm just still bitter about tsunderes because of Neptunia Victory taking one of those sorts of characters who I actually liked and turning her into a bland, unlikeable, one-dimensional parody of herself. It's only been about a year since that LP, after all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This Dive did absolutely no one any favours. If what Prime said is true about how all the characters in this dive are their true selves pulled from their own conscious or whatever then at the sub-conscious level all of them are willing to murder all their buddies to save their own hide. Cass gets the worst of it of course since she for some reason agrees with Zill and absorbs Delta basically just because she has low self-esteem. It's ridiculous.

Honestly the 2nd dives for both of the main heroines have sucked royally and made me kind of dislike both Ion and Cass even though for most of the game they have been pretty alright and generally more interesting than their partners. Ion is kind of hosed up and far less innocent than she appears but since you, the player, loves her I guess she's actually pretty much fixed, and Cass agrees with a genocidal maniac because she doesn't think anyone likes her, herself included. It's so lame.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Kadorhal posted:

I think I'm just still bitter about tsunderes because of Neptunia Victory taking one of those sorts of characters who I actually liked and turning her into a bland, unlikeable, one-dimensional parody of herself. It's only been about a year since that LP, after all.
Look on the bright side: for all Neptunia's flaws, one thing it can never be accused of is having a heroine lacking in self-confidence.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nepgear was the protagonist at one point.

But then again, she ended up being one of the best characters in the third game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Look on the bright side: for all Neptunia's flaws, one thing it can never be accused of is having a heroine lacking in self-confidence to make a male character look good.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

FractalSandwich posted:

Look on the bright side: for all Neptunia's flaws, one thing it can never be accused of is having a heroine lacking in self-confidence to make a male character look good.

It sooooort of does once when they're fighting the fake CFW Brave in mk2 and Brave's FIGHTING SPIRIT upbraids them for hesitating to want to destroy the fake.

Maybe update tomorrow? Assuming between work and these loving dogs I get enough time to myself to even record today.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Okay, I give up. I retract my positivity. The only good thing about Neptunia is the song Tenpei Sato made for Nisa.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Okay, I give up. I retract my positivity. The only good thing about Neptunia is the song Tenpei Sato made for Nisa.

On this at least I think we can have some unambiguous consensus.

That said I really like Neptunia games that aren't the original which was a real shitshow oh my god. There's a reason the remake changed a bunch of poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Incidentally, the reason Zill is pronounced "Jill" is because "zi" is a common romanization for "ジ", the first mora of her Japanese name. Her name is literally Jill, just spelled with a Z because Japanese.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It's weird because I'm pretty sure the game does even spell her name with a J exactly once and her name in the text always seems really buggy and odd (her actual first name is Zillium but there's like an extra 'ill' in there a bunch of times like someone hosed up a find and replace and didn't bother to check it). What I'm saying is that NISA is loving vindicated with respect to localizing these things.

I managed to record, hopefully update tomorrow where we'll chat with a Will of the Planet whose name may be familiar to fans of the original game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Feinne posted:

It's weird because I'm pretty sure the game does even spell her name with a J exactly once and her name in the text always seems really buggy and odd (her actual first name is Zillium but there's like an extra 'ill' in there a bunch of times like someone hosed up a find and replace and didn't bother to check it).

Her Japanese name is actually Ji-li-li-u-m (ジリリウム), funnily enough. Then again, I haven't found any romanizations and this is based off of some Japanese wiki I found, so it honestly doesn't really matter.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Do you know the lyrics? I can't think of a more appropriate way to end Ar Nosurge than on an ill-advised karaoke number from the one behind Earthes.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Do you know the lyrics? I can't think of a more appropriate way to end Ar Nosurge than on an ill-advised karaoke number from the one behind Earthes.

To Nisa's theme? No.

I do actually no lie know the lyrics to EXEC_COSMOFLIPS from Qoga (I've even translated it) and I could probably do EXEC_HARMONIUS with a bit of preparation but I'm not sure what the thread has done wrong to deserve hearing me sing. Maybe if someone with talent will promise federal matching singing.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Feinne posted:

That said I really like Neptunia games that aren't the original which was a real shitshow oh my god. There's a reason the remake changed a bunch of poo poo.

Hahaha, I must be the only one in the world who really liked the first game's battle system. Granted, a lot of the rest of the game was a mess and seriously gently caress whoever decided you need to go through a dungeon to switch areas, but I'd rather play another game with that battle system. Also, I have trouble giving the remake too much credit when it was 90% the same assets from Victory.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

I do actually no lie know the lyrics to EXEC_COSMOFLIPS from Qoga (I've even translated it) and I could probably do EXEC_HARMONIUS with a bit of preparation but I'm not sure what the thread has done wrong to deserve hearing me sing. Maybe if someone with talent will promise federal matching singing.
Can't help you there. I don't speak Hymnos.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Some other things that are fully in Hymmnos include EXEC_VIENA, EXEC_SPHILIA, and EXEC_HARMONIUS_FUSION.

SPHILIA and COSMOFLIPS are the 'easy' ones I'd say, since SPHILIA is largely built around repeated phrases (since large portions of it are structured as a conversation where Mir is convincing the Heart of Gaea that they're very alike and thus the Heart should yield to her) and COSMOFLIPS is built around repeating the same verse with tone changes to get across that there's different implications to the same words.

VIENA requires you to do some side reading or listen close to the actual song and compare to get that >>> is pronounced 'torr', 1 'ee', and 0 'oh' for the command line section at the start that uses SOL=FAGE to emulate Frelia.

Oh yeah so we're finally getting close to our official introduction to a song we've heard multiple times so far in the game, which also happens to be either my favorite or second favorite in the game.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 14, 2015

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SPHILIA is my personal favorite of those. In fact, every single one of Mir's songs are great - EXEC_HARMONIUS_FUSION (and technically EXEC_HARMONIOUS), EXEC_RIG=VEDA, EXEC_SPHILIA, EXEC_DESPEDIA, The Heart Speaks, and EXEC_DISHADOW_includes.Ex_VANISLAND are all some of my favorites. No other character has as many knockout Hymns as Mir does, IMO.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Some other things that are fully in Hymmnos include EXEC_VIENA, EXEC_SPHILIA, and EXEC_HARMONIUS_FUSION.

SPHILIA and COSMOFLIPS are the 'easy' ones I'd say, since SPHILIA is largely built around repeated phrases (since large portions of it are structured as a conversation where Mir is convincing the Heart of Gaea that they're very alike and thus the Heart should yield to her) and COSMOFLIPS is built around repeating the same verse with tone changes to get across that there's different implications to the same words.

VIENA requires you to do some side reading or listen close to the actual song and compare to get that >>> is pronounced 'torr', 1 'ee', and 0 'oh' for the command line section at the start that uses SOL=FAGE to emulate Frelia.
It's all INTERCAL to me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've learned enough of SPHILIA to sing a good portion of it off the top of my head. In fact, I'm gonna listen to it again right now.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I find I usually prefer the full-hymmnos songs to the mixed hymmnos/Japanese ones. The only mixed one that I really like is METHOD_METAFALICA/..
Edit: Ok, I guess I missed METHOD_IMPLANTA/..

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 14, 2015

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That's because Pastalian Hymmnos is the best Hymmnos.
Well, okay, Sphilia is the best, then followed by all the METHOD songs.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
My favourite is either EXEC_VIENA./ or all of EXEC.over.METHOD_SUBLIMINATION./ EXEC_SPHILA./ is pretty good, though.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Update should be ready tomorrow, got busy doing some other things and couldn't find the time today.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Alright, let’s pick up back in Kurt Pheyna. Hmm, I do wish you could have seen it back in those days. As wonderful as Em Pheyna is, it’s a shadow of its predecessor. Before they left for Syestine, Cass stopped by a shop, and found something that amazed her.

Huh? What’s up?
I got all the Nyurokis for the entire town!
Umm… Okay?
Argh, you idiot! How can you not be excited by this!?
The Felion, the Quanturv, the Honokano, the Tenryosara, and the Pheyna Nyuroki are all MINE!
Collecting all five of these would be impossible, if you lived an ordinary life, you know!
W-Well, congrats…? I guess?
Oh, how wonderful… This is the height of this lifetime… The reason for all those struggles and hardships!
Wow, that much?
Alright…! How about we just restore world peace while we’re on a roll!
I’m not sure it really works that way… You’re okay with this?

Feinne’s Notes:
You get this scene for having all five Nyuroki types, I think there’s another we’ll get later as well. You can also buy things that are clearly the ancestors of Funbuns which is pretty hilarious.

With that out of the way, they headed with Ayatane to the great forest of Sharanoir.

This forest is very special to Ar Ciel.
Sharanoir, the deity of plants, watches over this forest, and it’s a place where the Gods dwell.
Sharanoir sounds a lot like Sharanohiar…
What’s Sharanohiar?
It was the name of a paradise in our world. The Genom we talked about earlier were trying to build a utopia.
That’s a very interesting story. Perhaps this forest’s name comes from the same root word.
It really does seem like someone from our world came to this planet…
Song Magic, and even some of the words sound kind of familiar… It’s strange.
We’ve come here to answer those questions.
Ahead is a place called the Dining Table of the Gods. There, we can speak with the Will of the Planet—the Gods.

Even in those days to speak with Ar Ciel was not a trivial thing, mind.

Video- “The Will of Ar Ciel”

Watch

This doesn’t seem like a place for humans to casually set foot into…
Yeah, it really doesn’t…
This is where communicating with the Will of the Planet can be done most easily.
They have watched over this planet for a very long time. I believe They can answer your questions.
Laaailaai GnFai Buiia, Sonwe.

Only a select few were capable of channeling the Wills.

Hello, Sonwe. It’s been a while.
This girl is the Will of the Planet?
No, she is one of the Teru Tribe. Her name is Sonwe Rei Koraksha.
She is a type of shaman—a “Hearer” who can convey the Will of the Planet.
By connecting her heart to the Gods, she will help us communicate with Them.
…It has been a long time, Karyou.
Yes, it has. You are as beautiful as ever, despite the decades that have passed.
You don’t even remember anymore, do you? It’s been so long since the last time you came for a visit.
Ha ha, you have me there. I try not to desecrate this sacred ground too much.
That’s not a very good excuse. If people forget the words of the planet, this sacred forest will disappear.
Very true. I shall bear that in mind.
Well, what voice do you wish to hear today?
My companions are here from a far-away land. Their knowledge coincides with the legends of zwee-faa-reh-ah.
We wish to speak to the Gods about our relation to them, and…
They also wish to discuss an issue regarding the future of their brethren.
…I understand.
I shall now commune with the Gods. They see all, and thus only the most relevant God will descend.
Zaaa Siliia!

There in the forest a Will descended.

A fine meeting to Our distant friends, children of Exapico.
You’re not Sonwe anymore. Who are you…?
I am Horus, a part of the Will of this Planet.
So there really is a Will of the Planet…
Each planet has a Will. It was the guidance of that Will which led to your birth.
…But we don’t have a planet anymore. We destroyed it, a long time ago.
We did it to get the energy we needed …to travel here.
Yes, I know. We still remember it vividly.
The day the ancestors of the Teru Tribe, the people from your world, came to this planet.
Is that true?!
The ancestors of the Teru Tribe arrived here 5000 years ago, in a single ship.
We can still recall coexistence between humans and the beings known as Genom.
The thought level of Genom exceeded that of humans, and they were able to converse with the Will of the Planet.
They were most amicable beings, possessing such kind souls, and We welcomed them with open arms.
They told Us that there were still many humans and Genom on their planet…
And that those lives were on the verge of utter destruction.
Naturally, We offered them our help.
But not a single living creature from their world came to ours after that first vessel.

They received the counsel of Horus, but unfortunately there was not much to be done as things stood.

They did not wish to speak of it, so even now We know little of the details.
However, we could tell from their sorrowful faces that something terrible and irreversible had taken place.
Then that means…
We do not know how your kind has survived this long.
Nonetheless, you possess the same spectrum as they did. You are indeed the Teru Tribe’s brethren.
Really?!
Your appearance may differ, but the wavelength of your souls is unchanged. We are certain.
Wait…then, can you help us now?!
What do you mean?
After the destruction of our planet, we lived inside a spaceship. We still live there.
There’s no sky there, or rives or wind.
We’ve done our best to survive there, but…
Right now it’s about to be destroyed, and if it is, all of the people living there will disappear.
Please, let us come and live here!
I don’t care how little space we get or how uncomfortable it is, so long as we can live!
Please!

For all the glory of our world in those days, beneath the surface the seeds of its destruction were already being sowed.

I cannot do that.
What…? Why?! You were willing to help us in the past, right?! Why the change?
You likely understand better than most the weight and significance of 5000 years.
Since your people last set foot on our world, everything has changed.
The people here have built a civilization, grown in number, and wish to live in peace.
Although… I hesitate to say that this world has truly achieved peace.
What do you think would be the result if your people were allowed to colonize this world?
The people of this world would become insecure, and extremely so.
Insecurity invites confusion, which in turn begets conflict. The peace they have would crumble.
But…but if we don’t do something…!
You must consider your own people as well.
Even if you find a new home, if it is burnt by the fires of war, what have you gained?
Do you understand?
…Dammit.
I thought we’d found a planet, and that we’d survive this nightmare!
Are you saying we’re supposed to die?
Delta…
There is nothing We can do at this time.
But if you can find another solution to the crisis your people face, I will do what I can to help.
Please, do not give up hope yet.
…Thank you, Horus.

There wasn’t much they could do on their end.

No, that’s not true. Just getting to speak to a god was helpful.
You’re quite kind.
At the very worst, the two of you are of course welcome to stay in Kurt Pheyna. You needn’t worry.
Please, explore nearby and see if you can find a solution. If nothing else, it should prove a change of pace.
Yeah, thanks.

Next time, let’s see what Ion and Earthes were up to. Things were a bit more eventful there.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Despair

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I've got some time to kill, so may as well explain the :spergin: problem with figuring out when we arrived on Ar Ciel. Be prepared for :words:

From the official timeline from one of the Ar tonelico setting books, the Seven Bloodstains Incident occurred in the year 3031. In the Seven Bloodstain incident, Sol Ciel fired off Ar tonelico as a weapon at Sol Cluster directly through the planet. This blew seven giant craters out of Ar Ciel, giving the incident it's name. One of those craters we saw in Qoga, as the third tower is right in the middle of it and the blast created the Great Fang mountains around the edge of the crater. One of the other places destroyed in the incident was Syestine (you know, where we just went), and that was the big tipping point in the Teru tribes turning against Sol Ciel, sabotaging Ar tonelico and causing the Grathnode Inferia.

Now the timeline problem is that 3031was also the year that Shurelia was created, after the Seven Bloodstains Incident occurred. On top of that, she wasn't made the administrator of Ar tonelico until 3035. She also didn't meet Eleno (her 'father', and the one who gave her the name Shurelia instead of Eolia) until 3035 either. And of you're interested, the Grathnode Inferia occured in 3040.

So basically, we can't have gone to Syestine after meeting Shurelia, unless Gust retconned a date somewhere. Either the Seven Bloodstains Incident occurred later, or Shurelia was created earlier. Or Shurelia simply lied about her age when they put that timeline together.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 15, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I think it's best to interpret everything we know about the history of Ar Ciel as questionable records left behind on a ruined world and Sol Cielan propaganda that Shurelia heard.

And Shurelia is super self-conscious about her age so her lying about it is also very believable.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Or just shrug and enjoy them rewriting canon to allow for a fun cameo.

They've established a cross-over opportunity but there's only one character who could reasonably make it due to the timeline, but they didn't have the foresight to plan for this sort of thing when they conceived of Ar Tonelico. It's not much of a crime to stretch things a bit as a wave and a nod to fans of AT.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think once you've hit triple digits (let alone millenia) lying about your age is meaningless.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I just thought it was interesting in trying to figure out just how close Cass and Delta came to seeing another planet get blown up :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The best part about trying to awkwardly mix canon between the two series together is that you can just wash your hands of it all by claiming it's just a parallel universe, and you'd have a good chance of being right. :colbert:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Icedude posted:

I just thought it was interesting in trying to figure out just how close Cass and Delta came to seeing another planet get blown up :v:

Yeah I mean Horus is pretty much telling them 'it might look nice here on the surface but there's some poo poo going down' and those guards were sure they were spies from Sol Cluster earlier.

Amusingly I'm pretty sure at any given point no matter how hosed up Sol Ciel was Sol Cluster was ALWAYS worse. Like a corporatist hellhole fighting a dystopian nightmare state run by a broken AI was pretty much just Tuesday if you were from the Cluster.

The interesting question this also begs is who was the biggest rear end in a top hat that was still around in Qoga (obviously the biggest rear end in a top hat was Kurogane but he's dead). Like on one hand some rear end in a top hat wanted to glue humans and antibodies together with all the Reyvateils but on the other hand another clown was personally responsible for there being a dystopian nightmare state because he broke said AI.

Oh and since I was thinking about it this comic nicely sums up I think what Mir's reaction to seeing Clustania would have been.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 16, 2015

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
I still can't believe the evil AI was Harvestasha Vista and the good one was XP.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

What are the details of Sol Cluster that make you think that?
I mean, Sol Ciel were total dicks.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Elric posted:

What are the details of Sol Cluster that make you think that?
I mean, Sol Ciel were total dicks.

Well a guy from there intentionally sabotaged the effort to revive the planet so thoroughly that the only person who could execute said effort cut off their memory of everything connected to it rather than recall what happened.

And frankly it was by far the biggest poo poo-show of the three regions in the present day and that to me says something.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Might have an update tomorrow, might be Tuesday. The next section is a bit more eventful in that it's just like 20 minutes of cutscenes and such. They do feature our most competent cast member getting to work and an actual solid concrete plan for putting the kibosh on this whole maternal overseer issue though.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Feinne posted:

Well a guy from there intentionally sabotaged the effort to revive the planet so thoroughly that the only person who could execute said effort cut off their memory of everything connected to it rather than recall what happened.

And frankly it was by far the biggest poo poo-show of the three regions in the present day and that to me says something.

One guy isn't the best sample of an entire society.

Sol Ciel was pretty drat hosed up during Mir's era.

I don't think there is enough data to tell whether Sol Cluster was horrible.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Let’s take this story back to the ship now. Ion and her allies couldn’t do anything to help Delta and Cass, but that didn’t mean there weren’t things for them to do.

The song seems to have worked…
Sarly, what does the Entanglement communicator say?
Well, at the very least, it looks like Delta is still alive.
Good. That’s a relief.
We can’t rely on them for everything, though. There’s still a lot for us to do here.
But… I can’t really think of anything we could do right now.
That’s not true. This ship won’t last much longer. We need to hold out until Delta and Cass come back.
Ahhhh it really has been a long time since I went on a trip like this. It’s nice to be outside again.
That’s right…haven’t you been in Felion all this time?
Yes. Just leaving for a little bit like this makes me worried. I guess that’s just part of the job…
He he…
I believe your anxiety will settle, at least a little.
Huh?
I have been absent for a long time, but I wish to assist your Majesty once again, if you will allow it.
Renall… Really!? Of course I would! I should be the one asking you!

And fortunately, they’d picked up a valuable ally.

Did you hear that, Ion? Now we can go on as many vacations as we want!
I won’t allow that. Your Majesty must work even harder than before to bring the populace together.
Oh darn… Well, I already knew that.
H-Ha ha ha…
We should return to Felion. We must assess the current situation before we decide our next move.

And not a moment too soon, because the situation in Felion was rapidly degenerating.

Video- “Bad Times”

Watch

Imperial Guard B: We’re glad you’re safe.
Hey! I told you, I’m just Nay when I’m dressed like this.
Imperial Guard A: S-Sorry, I…
How’s the city? Same as always? Anything strange happen?
Imperial Guard B: Yes, actually. The people seem to have run out of patience. There have been protests every day.
They want to know when we’re going to begin rescue operations at the Flask Sea.
Imperial Guard A: There’s also a rumor that the Orei is going to break down, and people have come here begging for help.
There are a lot of them. Right now it’s night, so it’s quiet, but the number of protesters increases daily.
Hm. Sounds like it’s been difficult.
The state of affairs is worse than I imagined. If what they say is true, the situation could quickly grow dire.
Imperial Guard B: Nay, who is this?
Oh, you probably don’t know. This is Renall. A long, long time ago she was my very capable Prime Minister!
…You exaggerate.

They filled in Renall on the full current situation, at least what she didn’t already know.

Ion has managed to revert the ship’s power source…
But the Maternal Overseer is still a threat, hindering rescue operations and making the public anxious.
Just what I’d expect from you, Renall! You got it all on the first try.
There’s no danger of the ship stopping any time soon, so we should be able to address that, at least.
Imperial Guard B: …You might have trouble convincing them of that.
Imperial Guard A: Parts of the city still freeze up or fail occasionally.
Then we must clear up misunderstandings and explain the situation.
That’s easy for you to say, but there’s no easy way to explain it to them.
Really? Why?
…There’s no one to tell them.
I’m sure they would listen to the Divine Empress. Have you considered a public address…?
…I can’t.
Right now “Divine Empress” is just a meaningless title.
That isn’t true. People admire you.
Who wants an empress with a criminal record?
Besides, it’s silly to try and lead people with a title from thousands of years ago.
You are still the Empress. At the very least you owe the people an apology. Have you already forgotten?
* Sigh *

Renall continued to be unwilling to let Nay dodge her obligations.

…Yeah, I know. Just give it my best shot, right?
But I’m not giving an audience. I’ll just do it from here, with the broadcast system. Is that okay?
In order to move the people, you must stand before them yourself, and display your solemnity face to face.

Begin your preparations. We will hold the audience here, at PLASMA headquarters, at noon tomorrow.
You’re pretty forceful, huh? No wonder Nay’s having a rough time.
We’ll broadcast her speech to the entire ship. Sarly, can you see to that?
Sure.
Shirotaka, you aren’t doing anything. Can you help?
Of course.
Alright, I guess I’m going to bed, then. Goodnight.

Though Nay’s reluctance led her to some new questions.

Um…
Well, she was never very proactive about her duties as Empress, but never this bad…
She seems negligent, desperate… almost as though she’s lost hope. She was never like this before.
It’s kind of my fault she’s like that…
Why?
Before you woke up, she sang a song to protect the city when it was under attack by the Sharl.
But it was a song that would have killed all the Sharl…so I stopped her.
She tried to kill the Sharl to protect the people of the city.
But when she failed, they blamed her for the Sharl not disappearing.
After that, she gave up being the Divine Empress.
I see…
And she has been unable to regain the trust of her people…

In the very near future, we will desperately need the Empress’s unifying power.
We must find a way for Her Majesty to regain her confidence.
Can you think of anything?
…It will depend on this broadcast.

The address went on, as scheduled.

And a huge crowd gathered.

I am Divine Empress Nayaflask, final Empress of the planet Ra Ciela.
Since the Barrier around Felion first opened, we have faced countless challenges together.
Our city is only safe because of the efforts of its citizens, but we have all lost family and friends.
We have been forced t live in this confined space, unsure of when our lives might be cut short.
Your pain and suffering cannot be described with mere words.
Yet even in the face of such despair, your hearts have not wavered, and remain full of vigor.
I am moved to see that you all still possess such sympathy and kindness—the true beauty of humanity.
Our situation is dire. As you may know, we are unable to rescue our companions trapped in the Flask Sea.
However, I give you my word that soon this situation will change, and rescue operations will immediately begin.
We can see the light of hope. We have established friendly relations with the Sharl.
The Orei, though recently in danger, has been stabilized.
Now is the time for us to unite as one and open the door to paradise.
Shared suffering gives us strength, and with that we shall rescue our friends and family from the Flask Sea.
To do that, I must ask that you lend me your thoughts once again…
…So that together we might open that door!

It… did not go well.

Older Woman A: Give me back my family!
Man A: She’s got a lot of nerve talking about hope after she disappeared when we needed her most!
Older Man B: Yeah! She only shows up again once it’s safe? That’s no coincidence! She doesn’t understand us at all!
Man B: Stop trying to fool us!
Older Woman B: The Orei hasn’t been stabilized! Stop lying!
Woman: Give us back our world!

People can be quite foolish when they’re desperate, and unfortunately the people of Felion were in just such a situation.

I can hear them. You needn’t say anything.
Why…?
Imperial Guard A: U-Um, if you just tell them you’re the Divine Empress, Nay, I’m sure they’ll understand!
Stop it.
Imperial Guard A: B-But--!
I said to stop it!!
I knew this would happen. I’m finished here. I’m going to sleep.
Nay, wait!
Renall!
You ought to go. I think you may have more luck than I would.
O-Okay!
That was quite a reaction.
You aren’t even attempting to hide your distaste.
I’m just stating my opinion.
What are you going to do now?
Imperial Guard A: They’re about to start rioting…

…There is something I wish to discuss with you. Please, come with me.
…?

Hmm? What was Renall’s plan? You’ll just have to wait and see, won’t you? She took Sarly and the guard aside to discuss it while Earthes waited for Ion.

What happened with Nay?/You’re late!
I tried talking to her, but she’s just shut herself inside Nay au Francais.
What happened to her today must have been awful. If it’d been me, I probably would have started crying…
Really, she was pretty amazing, holding on like that until she was done.
…What can we do for her now…?

Before Ion and Earthes could leave to go try again, Renall caught up to them.

Ah, Renall… What’s the matter?
Oh, it’s not a big deal. I just wanted to talk to you.
We haven’t really had the chance to sit down and talk, even after seeing each other again, you know?
I guess you’re right. Sorry… I’ve just been so busy, I-
Don’t worry about it. I understand now is a very important time for you.
But, I wanted to say thank you…
Thank me…?
Thank you so much for restoring my memory.
I was able to regain all my memories because of you. And I can now serve her majesty.
NO, I really didn’t do anything… Sarly was the one who made the medicine to restore your memory…
I actually already thanked her, too.
But… She pointed me in your direction. She told me you’re the one who actually opened up my mind…
…Oh, Sarly.

She had a more concrete way of thanking them than simple words, too.

Yes, excellent, actually. In fact, I feel like I have too much energy, sometimes.
From now on, I intend to support Her Majesty, as well as the people and Sharls’ lifestyles.
Just don’t push yourself too hard, okay? You overdo things sometimes…
Yes, thank you.
Oh right… Ion. With my authority, it’s possible to unfreeze the Soreil system.
And, among it, there’s space debris… But also an attack assist system to fend off oncoming enemies.
I thought it might come in handy during your travels.
Huh!? A-A Soreil attack system…!?
Yes. I guarantee its effectiveness, so… Use it well, okay?
System Message: Obtained Renall’s Friend Skill, [Bezel Moon]!
Renall… Thank you so very much!

Feinne’s Notes:
This is Ion’s last Friend Skill assuming you have Nelico’s already at this point. It’s incredibly powerful and is a great answer to particularly douchey trash waves or adds on a boss.

Namely orbital lasers. Those are kind of cool by the way but also things that are only for responsible adults. And, sadly, your mother.

…Ion.
Are you alright…?
What about me?
Um…
Whatever. I’m quitting as Divine Empress. I’m really starting to hate it.
I bust my butt and worry myself into an early grave, then I finally decide on something, and nobody understands.
I’m just worn out.
I think I’m way more suited to being a chef.
Even if I work my hardest as Divine Empress, it won’t make anyone happy.
That’s not true, you’ve made a lot of people happy.
I’ve already made up my mind.
You or Renall can take care of the rest. Anybody could do the job if they wear the outfit.
Nay… You should know better than anyone that NOT just anybody can do that job.
You can’t sing some songs without that voice, either…

By the way could you tell her not to use satellite weaponry for the purposes of gambling anymore? I swear she’s just doing it because it sends me distracting warnings and wakes me up every time they’re fired.

Welcome.
Man A: Oh, hi Honey. What’s up?
Honey? That’s an odd name.
Man A: Oh, that’s not her name. We’re going out, actually.
What!?
Sharl: It’s true. We’re living together now.
Seriously!? Aren’t you getting a little ahead of yourselves!?
Man A: We’re just embodying what you said, Nay! To get along with the Sharl!
Oh wow! That’s wonderful!
Man A: So is there something you need, Honey?
Sharl: Oh, no, I actually came here to talk to her today.
Wait, me? Why would a Sharl come talk to me?
Sharl: Because you’re the Divine Empress, right?
H-How did you know that!?
Man A: H-Ha ha ha.

Ugh… Whatever. Yes, I’m the Divine Empress. I’m trying to keep it a secret though, so don’t talk too loud.
Sharl: Yes, I already know.

Back on topic, it turned out Nay’s address hadn’t been a total waste of time.

Sharl: There’s something I realized during the last broadcast.
What?
Sharl: The Maternal Overseer is a bunch of fused souls, right?
I just thought that was a lot like us.
The Maternal Overseer is the same as the Sharl? I don’t understand.
Sharl: Our souls are Genom.
When Ra Ciela was collapsing, the Genom decided their fate would be the same as the planet’s.
As a result, the Genom souls became one, and were stored in the Microquasar as energy.
Yes, we know about that… And I’m really sorry. I wanted to save everybody…
Sharl: We were the ones who decided to share our fate with the planet, so please don’t worry about it.
But what’s important is that although we were fused together as one, now we’re individuals again. You see?
…What?
Sharl: Our souls were as one inside the Microquasar, but the Enlightened Sovereign’s song separated us.
I just thought you might be able to use that to separate the souls fused with the Maternal Overseer.

And for the first time they had a potential weapon to turn against the Maternal Overseer.

I’ll go tell Kanon right away!
Wait!
Would you mind taking me, too?
Honestly I can’t stand being in the city right now. I need a break. Sorry I’m treating it like a vacation…
Nay…
Is that okay?
Yes, of course it’s okay. It’s fine for you to take a break sometimes!
Man A: Just leave the restaurant to us!
Are you going to cook for me?
Man A: Nope! We’ll just make a sign saying you’re on holiday.
Ha ha ha… Well, I guess that’s better than nothing.

Though, of course, it wasn’t going to be quite that easy. But that’s a tale for next time.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Harmony

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Got the next update recorded, might actually be able to get it together for tomorrow. We're getting towards maybe my favorite song of the whole game within a couple updates and a whole bunch more 'wait the cast is doing smart things now holy poo poo' moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In one sense I love how casual the Sharl are being about this whole thing. To us it's this big apocalyptic event that endangers all remaining humanity, and to them it's like that one embarrassing thing that happened to Aunt Margaret three eons ago.

• Locked thread