Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Trump is giving the impression he'd be the best ever president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Nickelback Concert posted:

I guess that $60k knowledge didn't teach you that "recepted" isn't a word.

Well now that you pointed it out, he's NEVER gonna share! I coulda recepted all that meat knowledge!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Should of gone to

They trained me in Digital Gardening.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
the minimum wage has increased before and the economy didn't implode

should we never increase the minimum wage? what about inflation? and cost of living? should everyone be paid a dollar a day like back in the past?

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro

stoutfish posted:

should we never increase the minimum wage? what about inflation?

Isn't inflation a major byproduct of increased minimum wage? Not to mention, if you're making 16-20 an hour in say, the IT industry, you're in essence taking a major pay cut in relation to the increase in cost you'll see in goods and services. But at least unskilled laborers will get to live it up for a few months before they gently caress everybody including themselves.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Im_drunk posted:

Isn't inflation a major byproduct of increased minimum wage?

no

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Im_drunk posted:

no

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Im_drunk posted:

yes

no

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Im_drunk posted:

Isn't inflation a major byproduct of increased minimum wage? Not to mention, if you're making 16-20 an hour in say, the IT industry, you're in essence taking a major pay cut in relation to the increase in cost you'll see in goods and services. But at least unskilled laborers will get to live it up for a few months before they gently caress everybody including themselves.

is this what people who are against the minimum wage actually believe.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Im_drunk posted:

no

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Im_drunk posted:

http://www.cepr.net/documents/publications/min-wage-2013-02.pdf posted:

Sara Lemos has conducted a comprehensive review of the 30 or so academic papers on the price effects of the minimum wage. She concludes: "Despite the different methodologies, data periods and data sources, most studies reviewed above found that a 10% US minimum wage increase raises food prices by no more than 4% and overall prices by no more than 0.4%"; and "[t]he main policy recommendation deriving from such findings is that policy makers can use the minimum wage to increase the wages of the poor, without destroying too many jobs or causing too much inflation."63...Other recent research by Daniel Aaronson, Eric French, and James MacDonald on restaurant pricing, a sector with a high share of low-wage workers suggests that the price effects are likely to be lower than the upper bounds suggested by Lemos. Aaronson, French, and MacDonald "find that a 10 percent increase in the minimum wage increases prices by roughly 0.7 percent."

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Im_drunk posted:

no.

it increases spending power and it will open more competition for prices. Big corps would hate that because it would undo monopolies.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Im_drunk posted:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

this seems non-offensive so i'll post it here

http://www.investopedia.com/university/inflation/inflation1.asp

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

stoutfish posted:

is this what people who are against the minimum wage actually believe.

This is what giant corporations who are against the minimum wage hike because they loving hate the poors want you to believe. "Well you know, I WOULD pay you more money, but in the end it would somehow just hurt you and make you poorer! Somehow! Hey, I'm just tryin'n to look out for you, dude! Now off to my solid-gold golf cart to spin donuts on your local elementary school's only soccer field."

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

While rising prices due to increased demand meets the econ 101 definition of inflation, that's not what most people think of when they hear the word.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

AssassinPrincess posted:

This is what giant corporations who are against the minimum wage hike because they loving hate the poors want you to believe. "Well you know, I WOULD pay you more money, but in the end it would somehow just hurt you and make you poorer! Somehow! Hey, I'm just tryin'n to look out for you, dude! Now off to my solid-gold golf cart to spin donuts on your local elementary school's only soccer field."

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

general hatred of republicans vs. instinctive need to white knight women, this is going to be a tough one for lefties.

I think the lefty response has been unanimously "trump is sexist but every other republican is also sexist. :laffo:."

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Im_drunk posted:

This is the part where you come in and say trap loving sprung or some poo poo.

No one can be this retarded.

Oh wait, half of America literally believes this :suicide:

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Thump! posted:

Oh wait, half of America literally believes this :suicide:

Everybody knows that if poor people had more money they would ruin the economy.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
rich people use up all of their income, just like poor people

so it doesn't really matter who gets the money imo

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

how to not be poor:

make something every person in the world wants to buy and can afford

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfOgok0kcE0

Pack it in Bernailures

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:sigh: okay...

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro
Indexing to inflation is one thing and I would imagine anyone with a soul would support that. We're talking about doubling minimum wage, however, while having no ill-effects on the long term buying power for an otherwise unaffected middle class through inflation. We're also assuming that everyone in the minimum wage category gets to keep their job after their employers are faced with an increase of 50-100% in wages due in some cases (most unlike a 10% change noted in aforementioned study from 1977). Correct me if I'm wrong but from 2009 to 2015 we saw inflation of approximately 11%, not 100%. We are assuming that this drastic of an increase will be all rainbows and sunshine on the economy and I must be wealthy beyond compare to assume it wouldn't be lol. If it turns out that doubling minimum wage means everyone puts it back into the economy, employers then hire more people and continue producing goods at an affordable rate, equalizing healthy supply and demand and maintaining purchasing power to all classes of worker, all while demolishing poverty and retaining incentive to learn trade skills, I'll eat my hat. If the corporate greed you hate so much is then faced with a booming small and startup business economy that follows as opposed to the complete opposite, I'll eat two hats. I know you guys are progressive and poo poo and that's cool but holy gently caress lol. Hats off to you and your optimism.

We are here assuming that because group A (minimum wage workers) has less money than group B (middle class), group B should thus accept less buying power for the benefit of admittedly struggling group A, because group C (the corporations) are greedy and have been taking advantage of group A purposefully at less than fair wages per inflation for years. Non-compliance in the progressive media seems to imply that by group B not graciously accepting that they're ultimately carrying the burden that they are therefore group C sympathizers, bathing in the tears of group A, or must be "retarded". Not everybody against such an extreme increase in minimum wage is a monopolist corporation, some of us are just concerned. We can keep doubling minimum wage until the end of time it isn't going to fix the real underlying problem.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

These employers with minimum wage employees should pay their workers a living wage instead of using Big Government to subsidize their wages. Why should we allow companies to force the government pick up the slack for their inability to pay for proper food, housing, and medical care for their own employees?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

These employers with minimum wage employees should pay their workers a living wage instead of using Big Government to subsidize their wages. Why should we allow companies to force the government pick up the slack for their inability to pay for proper food, housing, and medical care for their own employees?

this logic would put the American health care system above the system the rest of the world uses, and this is why I greatly distrust minimum-wage laws as a bulwark against inequality as opposed to a basic income.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

People shouldn't make a career out of flipping burgers. They should go to school and learn something better.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Tenzarin posted:

People shouldn't make a career out of flipping burgers. They should go to school and learn something better.

If you want a hamburger you should pay the full price of it. Why should hard working Americans, many who own honest mom and pop shops, subsidize employee's wages through Big Government programs?

If your employees can't afford to buy their own food and pay for their own housing, I don't think you're a real businessman. I think you're a real loser. A low class slob.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I don't want to get into it, but some of these so called business owners are real losers.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

ReidRansom posted:

Ahahahaha here is someone who knows dick-all about buying a house.

I just ran almost that exact income through automated underwriting for a couple with good credit which put them at 200k with 10% down.

e: said mean things and I'm not a mean person, so I edited it, but gosh darn it my numbers are good so you should also stop saying mean things online words have consequences

Oceanlife has issued a correction as of 06:00 on Aug 14, 2015

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Oceanlife posted:

I just ran almost that exact income through automated underwriting for a couple with good credit which put them at 200k with 10% down.

e: said mean things and I'm not a mean person, so I edited it, but gosh darn it my numbers are good so you should also stop saying mean things online words have consequences

Where did they get the $20,000 in savings?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

XK posted:

Where did they get the $20,000 in savings?

Are you really insulting the imaginary people's ability to save money?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

you forgot the part where they also have perfect health and free reliable transportation

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

and no children

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

so two people making $10 an hour (at thirty hours a week because forty hour near minimum wage jobs don't exist anymore) net (generously) 24k per year, 2k per month. Here are some average to lower estimations on their expenditures:

Car: ~500/month per car. Note that near minimum wage jobs have rigid yet arbitrary scheduling, making single car ownership nearly impossible for a couple. Only 5% of the population does not own a car due to unreliable public transportation

food: ~440/month. This includes no eating out period

Health insurance: ~160/month. the fictional couple is ineligible for Medicaid; $80 is the aca average

(Optional) student loan debt: ~400/month assuming they live in a place with generous grants and low tuition, commuted from their parents' house, etc

This leaves zero dollars per month for a mortgage with student loans, but $400 isn't much better. You could maybe eke out a few extra bucks carpooling, though this is again confounded by arbitrary scheduling.

So maybe you could have some couple who could walk or take a bus to work, eat ramen every meal, didn't go to college, have no children, have no health problems, and have good credit get a small mortgage maybe

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How do they have a school loan? How are they eating $440 dollars a month? Why do they have 2 cars? You listed a completely fictional lies.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I can't wait for another recession to come along in 1-2 years and gently caress us up even more.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

theflyingexecutive posted:

so two people making $10 an hour (at thirty hours a week because forty hour near minimum wage jobs don't exist anymore) net (generously) 24k per year, 2k per month. Here are some average to lower estimations on their expenditures:

Car: ~500/month per car. Note that near minimum wage jobs have rigid yet arbitrary scheduling, making single car ownership nearly impossible for a couple. Only 5% of the population does not own a car due to unreliable public transportation

food: ~440/month. This includes no eating out period

Health insurance: ~160/month. the fictional couple is ineligible for Medicaid; $80 is the aca average

(Optional) student loan debt: ~400/month assuming they live in a place with generous grants and low tuition, commuted from their parents' house, etc

This leaves zero dollars per month for a mortgage with student loans, but $400 isn't much better. You could maybe eke out a few extra bucks carpooling, though this is again confounded by arbitrary scheduling.

So maybe you could have some couple who could walk or take a bus to work, eat ramen every meal, didn't go to college, have no children, have no health problems, and have good credit get a small mortgage maybe

Good news honey! We can buy a house and start a family at 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I make 10 dollars an hour better get 500 dollars a month in car payments.

Do people really think that way? I have a shitload of money and my car payments are zero dollars because I drive a shitbox that is 13 years old. If I had no money, I would drive a shitbox that is 13 years old.

• Locked thread