Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bySy2-NkigQ

Serious business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Gotta loosen up the rear roll bar a smidge, losing grip to lifting that wheel.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
ay since ppl totally let me know gsce saturday was a great idea, im actually pushing it back to 1:30 est becasue gently caress you thats why

see u in #racinggoons you shiets

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

also i'm gonna be hosting p cars sunday night at 6pm est (i.e. after nascar) tia

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's a race track builder on steam that just released or something. They either have or are working on direct export to assetto corsa.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/388980/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

There's a race track builder on steam that just released or something. They either have or are working on direct export to assetto corsa.

It's made by the Bob's Track Builder guy and looks amazing.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm going to make the bumpiest and hilliest tracks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully someone uses it to make Bradley Smith's perfect race track:

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/motogp-racer-combines-his-favorite-turns-into-one-track-1725374821

Pretty cool tool, I really dig the road editing parts. Not paying $60 for something that can't actually be used with any games at this particular moment.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Why does everyone put in the corkscrew everytime.

That said, I want to run it in reverse.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

A commenter actually mentioned why running the corkscrew backwards is fun, "You make the right at the top on complete faith as the only thing you can see is sky."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's apparently what turn 1 at COTA is like in an open wheeler. When you get into the braking zone, all you see is the sky and you just guess for the turn in.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Am I a crotchety old man for being annoyed at modders doing the whole "here's a screenshot of a curb of a track I'll be releasing in 9 months" teaser marketing spiel?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GhostDog posted:

Am I a crotchety old man for being annoyed at modders doing the whole "here's a screenshot of a curb of a track I'll be releasing in 9 months" teaser marketing spiel?

No, it pisses me off too especially when its a track everyone knows. Trailers for mods are especially pointless too since most of the mods that get trailers made are conversions or cars and tracks everyone knows.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Testing out an oculus DK2 at work today, brought in my G27 and after an hour of cursing got it to work with assetto... Holy poo poo that sucks. Resolution is so bad that corners are impossible to see, fov not quite right, impossible to use menus, etc. Not trying again.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Testing out an oculus DK2 at work today, brought in my G27 and after an hour of cursing got it to work with assetto... Holy poo poo that sucks. Resolution is so bad that corners are impossible to see, fov not quite right, impossible to use menus, etc. Not trying again.

If you drive a closed cockpit car, the saturation is way to intense as well, though you can turn it down with Page Down. Project Cars and Dirt Rally are much better, though view distance is pretty limited and antialiasing is a must.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Assetto Corsa is not good with the rift. Try iRacing, Live For Speed or Project Cars. Those all have proper rift implementation. The resolution is something you have to get past. If you can't deal with it, sorry. The consumer headsets are better but the screen door is still there apparently. You can't expect amazing clarity with something like this until they can get 4K screens. You really should try again with something else. It's not monitor quality, but it's usable. Once you get past the resolution, you probably won't be able to go back to a monitor. I know I can't.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why does this have 5 gears?

Cojawfee posted:

gently caress yes. I'm finally going to do my dream of turning the drive from Buffalo to Niagara Falls into a huge fuckoff race track.

Edit: I'd suggest reading the reviews first. There's one positive and one negative. The positive one just says this:

quote:

You cant build a full race track yet but this will be a great tool once more features are added.

Sounds like it's worth 60 bucks to me!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 27, 2015

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Right now it is not worth 60 bux. The promised of a parametric track modeler is pretty amazing because using blender is a pain in the dick.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So I finally managed to sweat and toil myself to a 8:11 on the Nordschleife (regular, non-tourist) with the Yellowbird in AC, thinking that's pretty good given that the real world record is 8:05 - and then I look around Youtube and see people doing 7:30s. Where do they find that time? I can see myself getting a hair below 8 by stringing the best lines of all my runs together, but another half a minute? loving hell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I always figured those absurdly low times were the result of people taking a "never lift" philosophy and repeating attempts until they manage to not put the car into armco.

Who knows, maybe they can set consistent 7:30's but I can't imagine how. You gotta be right on the edge to put up a #1 time.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

In video games, when you crash, you don't die. This is a huge benefit in pushing for absurd times. I remember feeling like hot poo poo when I finished Pikes Peak 10 seconds below the real record.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it gets weird online. The whole trick of a F1 weekend is it's here and now, in front of everyone and we all do it to the same rules (pretty much lol). Online and you have no idea if some shitlord has spent literally 200 hours lapping that exact car at that exact circuit eventually working out lines that you ordinarily wouldn't attempt. Combine the ability to try each one, completely flat and then just hit restart when it doesn't work out and it's actually a pretty different beast to the reality of track racing.

Then you get all the variation in not just car setup, but sim setup. I got a lot of this in iRacing but it's pretty much everywhere PC Racing exists.. stuff like turn the FF way down because that makes it easier to turn the wheel and make minute adjustments (particularly over distance) and the actual 'feedback' the FF is giving you is arguably beneficial (while the lower wheel weight is not).

F1 would be a lot more boring if Lewis and Seb could sit home and just sperg the gently caress out and get to such a ridiculous level that the actual race weekends are fore-gone conclusions (even moreso than now). Now although Lewis has driven a F1 car at Spa many times.. he's never driven the 2015 Merc there. He's got a ton of experience, but there is a ton of new stuff to adapt and deal with every year. The team, the car, the championship standing, the weather, etc. Online we take all that variability out, the car is identical every time you get into it.. while even just the air temperature will give you variability and wiggle-room with performance in the real world. The track is always identical.. when I way playing iRacing there was no weather.. so it was always exactly the same car at the same track with the same conditions.. no wonder eventually laptimes turn into something completely alien and ridiculous.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's probably why you can't take a great sim racer and throw them into a real car. These actual F1 drivers have to adapt to different circumstances within a couple days. Every race is with a different car and different conditions than the previous time they did it. They get in the car and do the best they can do within a few hours of practice. Whereas sim racers are getting to the level they are by driving the same car in the same conditions for days and days before getting the perfect lap when the previous lap and lap after might have ended in car destroying crashes. That might change as iRacing gets into dynamic track surfaces, and dynamic weather. For now though, you can just pick a car and a track and practice it for months to get the perfect lap and claim you're better than real drivers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

That's probably why you can't take a great sim racer and throw them into a real car. These actual F1 drivers have to adapt to different circumstances within a couple days. Every race is with a different car and different conditions than the previous time they did it. They get in the car and do the best they can do within a few hours of practice. Whereas sim racers are getting to the level they are by driving the same car in the same conditions for days and days before getting the perfect lap when the previous lap and lap after might have ended in car destroying crashes. That might change as iRacing gets into dynamic track surfaces, and dynamic weather. For now though, you can just pick a car and a track and practice it for months to get the perfect lap and claim you're better than real drivers.

This is why I want to see Max Verstappen actually race for Team Redline.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder what it must be like for his team mate when he's all "Ok, that was fun. Gonna go drive a real F1 car now."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder what it must be like for his team mate when he's all "Ok, that was fun. Gonna go drive a real F1 car now."

Isn't part of the draw of iRacing that you might end up racing with someone who actually races that car for real? I do want to see Verstappen in the iRacing GP series just to see if he could kick Huttu's rear end.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
apparantly aj allmendinger crashed out of a gt3 race i won vOv

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Are there any decent drag racing sims?

I miss Motor City Online so very, very much. :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

njsykora posted:

Isn't part of the draw of iRacing that you might end up racing with someone who actually races that car for real? I do want to see Verstappen in the iRacing GP series just to see if he could kick Huttu's rear end.

I'm talking about his team mates in iRacing. Like Huttu could beat him in the iRacing race and he's all "Oh, that sucks. Welp, off to Monaco to drive the real thing."

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Do any of you guys use a ultrawide monitor in place of a tripple screen setup? Looking at some of the 34 inch ones...

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
After talking about Huttu and real drivers and blah.. I only found this today.

I know it's old, but if you haven't seen this.. it's pretty wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p_sCrM1CcI

This is alot of why if you want to drive your computer iRacing is still the gold standard. None of the other games\sims seem to have this sort of connection to the real racing world.

Now.. Huttu. We don't know how confident his English is.. it sounds ok.. but his personality was interesting. It's easy to make comments about him being spergy and classic internet shut-in but I don't think that's fair. I can tell you when I came back from Europe's winter straight into Australia's summer I'd get so hot I'd want to throw up over myself as well, without the g.

He can drive the car but does he have the personality to interface with the team and eek out the performance when he just can't rely on super-sperg? Kimi will tell you (and Mika before him), yes, and well enough to do it at the highest levels. It's still interesting/excruciating to watch though haha

edit: oh plugged in my T500 last night and it centered itself properly! I promptly put like 6 hours into Project Cars. That RWD BMW Turbo 5 you drive early in the campaign, holy poo poo. Won on Ace but it did take me hours to nail the track and set up, wild fun though. Bought Dirt Rally last night.. excited to start now. Apparently there is a SP campaign where you hire mechanics and it's in the game now, so about to find out.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 30, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Special evening release for our Aussie friends :)

Main changelog for v1.38:

Cars:

Added Super V8 series.

Tracks:

Added Modern Montreal.
STOCK CAR EXTREMEEEEEEE

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Fired PCars up for the first time in months. It's amazing how every time I jump in the force feedback on the T300RS is even more hosed than before. Anyone here manage to get one functioning properly with that prolonged loving beta of a game? Everything is fine with every other game I throw at it.

Norns posted:

Do any of you guys use a ultrawide monitor in place of a tripple screen setup? Looking at some of the 34 inch ones...

I've been using a 29" Asus since November and love it. Naturally it doesn't provide the same peripheral vision as a true triple screen setup but it's worth it for the simplicity of setup and lower GPU requirements. PCars, AC, and GRID all work properly out of box without needing Flawless Widescreen or any other additional programs. My only gripe is it isn't a 34".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OhsH posted:

Special evening release for our Aussie friends :)

Main changelog for v1.38:

Cars:

Added Super V8 series.

Tracks:

Added Modern Montreal.
STOCK CAR EXTREMEEEEEEE

Reiza crew have confirmed that the beta people will be getting the Lancer Cup and Velo Citta to test drive very soon. But gently caress yeah Super V8s being in the main game at last. You should all go try them on the Super Truck variant tracks that have been going up on Race Department.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Norns posted:

Dell 34" here and I love it. It's on an arm too so I can pull it up closer to the wheel when I race.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Thrustmaster just killed the G29 before its even out. Announced a new wheel of their own with a combination gear/belt drive, PS3/4 compatibility and 1080deg rotation for $200. No clutch pedal but it is compatible with the T3PA pedals which are $100 so you could get both those for less than a G29.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Screw all these stupid wheels shipping with useless pedal sets. It can't be that much more expensive to make another plastic pedal and one more potentiometer. Charge me $20 more and don't include the autotragic-only piece of crap.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No matter how cheap it is, it's not worth the extra development cost for something the majority of people aren't going to use.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's a bottom of the barrel wheel, don't get upset that it only has three pedals. The intended demographic of that wheel is PS4 owners who want to drive vroom vroom cars in Project Cars or gran turismo or whatever else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

njsykora posted:

Thrustmaster just killed the G29 before its even out.

I think the G27 killed the G29 before its even out.

• Locked thread