Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winterfresh
Sep 11, 2004

Pro.

Rekinom posted:

well, that's cause you're an uncle tom

btw seoul is awesome

also when your kid can talk, i want to be introduced as uncle tom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Yup, it is, but do yourself a favor and get away from itaewon.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

nullscan posted:

Yup, it is, but do yourself a favor and get away from itaewon.

Apgujeong. Grab a couple friends, don't dress like a mil douchebag, go right before you absolutely HAVE to get a haircut. Learn which clubs and bars aren't insanely overpriced, go bang some barely legal dependents and English teachers.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

Ragaman posted:

I never understood why Command Post needed such a high ASVAB score for what amounts to a watered down 911/air field dispatcher.

gently caress Command Post, we used to raid our command post for exercises. Run up to the building with all our gear and just start screaming our heads off clearing the building out.

Log onto facebook today and I see this. Always fun catching up with old airmen I served with.
http://kfor.com/2015/08/14/tinker-airmen-charged-in-murder-for-hire-plot/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Sheriff Jake posted:

gently caress Command Post, we used to raid our command post for exercises. Run up to the building with all our gear and just start screaming our heads off clearing the building out.

Log onto facebook today and I see this. Always fun catching up with old airmen I served with.

My recruiter said the Barksdale Command Post had a funny closet somewhere in the building where nobody ever went, so they'd handcuff people to a conduit on the wall there after luring them in with a fake duress activation. Security Forces hazing FTW.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Having worked in the Barksdale Command Post from 2000-2004 I can say that would have never have happened post 9/11 but it wouldn't surprise me if something like that took place in the 90s.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Sheriff Jake posted:

This is gonna make for a great CBT.

Command Post: A building made obsolete by voicemail.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

My recruiter said the Barksdale Command Post had a funny closet somewhere in the building where nobody ever went, so they'd handcuff people to a conduit on the wall there after luring them in with a fake duress activation. Security Forces hazing FTW.

I miss handcuffing people and leaving them there. The best was getting a kid with some flexicuffs to the steering wheel of his inoperable gator on the flight line while he was sleeping.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Mcchord is p sweet but the Air Force is still loving stupid

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Well thank gently caress for Tricare. I split my knee open hiking a couple months ago, had to get littered out by search and rescue, then into an ambulance, then to a hospital to get some stitches. $2000 for all that. Still getting out.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Getting out with disabilities :toot:

edit: kpro, not me, they're sending me overseas yet again :toot:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Since we're talking about military medical, had a dude on Friday night jack up his shoulder. He was given a choice:

- Wait for a 2 hr ambulance ride to a hospital (ambulance had to drive up from Vegas and then drive back down, since it wasn't life or limb no helo obviously)
- Have one of his friends drive him in a POV to the nearest hospital for treatment, "only" a 45 minute ride

This would be because Creech doesn't bother to have any sort of medical personnel on base on swings or mids other than Fire Dept EMTs, and they can't do poo poo for training/liability reasons other than try to stop you from bleeding to death. Maybe when someone dies from a heart attack they'll do something about it...oh wait, a contractor had a heart attack on base last year and had to wait for almost an hour before the ambulance got there from Vegas (and then turn around and drive back another 45 minutes to the nearest hospital), still haven't done anything about it other than ensure that an AF ambulance is now stationed on base.

The icing on the cake is that the aforementioned AF ambulance can't drive off base for some reason, so all it can do is pick you up from somewhere on base and haul you to the clinic, which will be staffed with medical personnel assuming you are lucky enough to injure yourself on day shift. If you aren't on days (at a base that conducts combat ops 24/7), call the Fire Dept and hope you don't need to get actual medical care. If you need to go to an actual hospital good luck, gotta call the ambulance up from Vegas and then turn around and drive back to a hospital.

I honestly think that someone is going to have to literally die before anything is done about this.

e: And I understand the reason the MDG can't support is manning, my gripe isn't with them (surprisingly), it's with the overall system that refuses to man them appropriately to enable at least an IDMT or something to be on shift 24/7.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 23, 2015

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
You'll be hard-pressed to find a med group with that kind of manning these days. The Cold War era, with every base having a fully-staffed hospital, is so far from reality that anyone under the age of 50 has a hard time believing it ever existed. AF medical is stretched about as thin as it can get and still get a somewhat plausible label of being ready for combat support. Everyone's more concerned about pulling more rats onto the sinking ship (aka VA-sharing, since the way to fix one broken system is to overload the other broken system with its problems).

Also, any base within 90 minutes of a city is leaning hard on the civilian medical system to stay afloat. And you actually have the rare beast of an AF hospital in the Vegas area.

Finally, let me go ahead and serve up the dig that Creech's "combat ops", which mostly involves a bunch of AD personnel who passed a (limited) flight physical sitting in air conditioned trailers, is not going to rate high on the priority list for full medical support. Some old contractor had a heart attack? No one cares. To the bean-counters, he doesn't rate any higher than some old farmer dropping dead in his field far away from the nearest emergency room.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
The ambulances can't leave creech because it's actually the real hotel California.

It's a UAV base built on the Indian springs burial ground of actual cool combat ready units. Shits haunted. You'll see.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

A Kpro posted:

Well thank gently caress for Tricare. I split my knee open hiking a couple months ago, had to get littered out by search and rescue, then into an ambulance, then to a hospital to get some stitches. $2000 for all that. Still getting out.

Spoke too loving soon. So Tricare agreed to pay for a third of the total cost, the hospital is billing me for the rest. I don't feel like they're supposed to do that, but I'm not sure who to talk to about this.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Are you active duty or some kinda reserve?

If active duty you don't pay a dime.

If reserve.. :confused:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Active duty for another 3 months or so.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
You shouldn't pay a dime. Call/talk to your local Tricare Office or stop in at Patient Advocacy Office at the clinic. What base are you at?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You shouldn't even SEE a bill.

When I had my kidney stone surgery it was the only time the military healthcare system has ever worked for me in my entire life (including childhood).

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

xaarman posted:

You shouldn't pay a dime. Call/talk to your local Tricare Office or stop in at Patient Advocacy Office at the clinic. What base are you at?

Still at MHAFB. Called Tricare and they said they would transfer it over to the claims department and take care of everything. Hoping they sort it out.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If you ever think to yourself "that doesn't sound right, I wonder if the civilian contractor is wrong" then you are probably correct

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

A Kpro posted:

Still at MHAFB. Called Tricare and they said they would transfer it over to the claims department and take care of everything. Hoping they sort it out.

Yeah don't pay a dime.

Ever.

It's the TriCare prime benefit* that's the best**. I'm so happy*** to still have TriCare Prime as a retiree.****

* :lol:
** :mmmhmm:
*** :roflolmao:
**** :shepicide:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

A Kpro posted:

They should. Let us know if you're still getting hit up for it. If you can, get a claims # for your records.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
How does one use tinder effectively?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

smertrioslol posted:

Include a picture holding a puppy, swipe right on everything. Message your matches.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Godholio posted:

Include a picture holding a puppy, swipe right on everything. Message your matches.

That's where I was going wrong. And it just so happens I will own a corgi soon.

And every chick up here wants to go hiking. I'm okay with this.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Corgis are like the Konami Code for pussy. Good choice.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

smertrioslol posted:

Live in a nice place; not one the AF sends you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Make sure you put your credit card in when the nice lady asks you to join some scam or cam website.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Make sure you put your government travel card in when the nice lady asks you to join some scam or cam website.

Fixed

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And your .mil address. Apparently that's the thing to do.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Make sure you put your government travel card in when the nice lady asks you to join Ashley Madison.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Dominoes posted:

Live in a nice place; not one the AF sends you.

I set myself to Seattle, not Tacoma :smugdog:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/27/politics/loose-nut-air-force-crash/index.html

Someone didn't do proper PMCS

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

I linked a much better write-up from the local rag in the AI thread, plus some of the pictures.

That crew is lucky to be alive. And that particular component isn't one that would be looked at during any sort of scheduled maintenance interval by field level maintainers, so this one is squarely at the feet of the L-3 depot idiots.

e: Who finger-tightened fittings that were supposed to be torqued.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

iyaayas01 posted:

I linked a much better write-up from the local rag in the AI thread, plus some of the pictures.

That crew is lucky to be alive. And that particular component isn't one that would be looked at during any sort of scheduled maintenance interval by field level maintainers, so this one is squarely at the feet of the L-3 depot idiots.

e: Who finger-tightened fittings that were supposed to be torqued.
Yeah, that was about 2-3 minutes from a dead crew.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

iyaayas01 posted:

i got really nervous thinking about some poor e-2 fresh out of basic that was supposed to pmcs that part and hosed it up because he wasn't trained right/at all and loving up to the tune of $62,000,000. Im glad its some overpaid civilian.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I have several hundred hours in 848, kind of weird seeing it plastered all over the news.

Also, back enders have a history of burning poo poo in the microwave/oven and exaggerating what they see so glad the AC decided to follow through with the abort.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Well, it was a rather low speed abort on a training mission, so I could see it being precautionary. I'd do the same thing, because gently caress it, it's a training sortie.

But it's interesting because usually there aren't very many non-engine related things that don't manifest themselves until takeoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Rekinom posted:

Well, it was a rather low speed abort on a training mission, so I could see it being precautionary. I'd do the same thing, because gently caress it, it's a training sortie.

But it's interesting because usually there aren't very many non-engine related things that don't manifest themselves until takeoff.

From my cursory reading of the AIB summary it was sheer good luck that the leak ignited when it did. Just so happened that whatever the ignition source was happened to spark off at that exact moment and not, say, right after V1 or 5 minutes after they got airborne or when they were at cruise.

• Locked thread