Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ok is it normal for itunes to take three seconds to respond to clicks within it? for instance, when itunes it out of focus, and i want to switch from my current program to it, i'll click it and it'll take three seconds to come into focus. then when it is in focus, starting and stopping takes three seconds. sometimes it happens instantly as it should. but most times there's lag. itunes is the only program on my computer that does this. and i just built this thing with 16gb and a xeon 8-core processor so i'm pretty sure the machine can handle itunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Abel Wingnut posted:

ok is it normal for itunes to take three seconds to respond to clicks within it? for instance, when itunes it out of focus, and i want to switch from my current program to it, i'll click it and it'll take three seconds to come into focus. then when it is in focus, starting and stopping takes three seconds. sometimes it happens instantly as it should. but most times there's lag. itunes is the only program on my computer that does this. and i just built this thing with 16gb and a xeon 8-core processor so i'm pretty sure the machine can handle itunes.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3022963&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=130#post447647309

No idea.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So I did a clean install of windows10 and then downloaded all my music back to my computer from Google Play Music. However like a fool I forgot to back up my iTunes playlists. Since they were being synced up to my google stuff, is there a way to import them into iTunes?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've very grudgingly decided to install itunes for the first time, since I'm going to be buying an iphone soon, and I've tried to import all my existing ripped cds into itunes - however for some reason itunes dumps all the songs into a single 'unknown artist' folder. Is there any relatively pain free way I can get itunes to sort everything properly by artist and album, besides deleting my music collection and re ripping all my CDs?

My preference is to rip everything in WAV - I've heard before that itunes has some issues with wav support, is this true and could it be the cause of my issues?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

I've very grudgingly decided to install itunes for the first time, since I'm going to be buying an iphone soon, and I've tried to import all my existing ripped cds into itunes - however for some reason itunes dumps all the songs into a single 'unknown artist' folder. Is there any relatively pain free way I can get itunes to sort everything properly by artist and album, besides deleting my music collection and re ripping all my CDs?

My preference is to rip everything in WAV - I've heard before that itunes has some issues with wav support, is this true and could it be the cause of my issues?

As a rule of thumb, iTunes only plays nice with MP3, AAC, and Apple Lossless. I'm not even sure that WAV files can hold metadata, and stock iTunes can't take filenames and parse them into tags (though I'm sure some combination of Apple Script and Regex could).

Your best bet might be using libavcodec to encode into Apple Lossless and go from there.

Sigma fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 14, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Sigma posted:

As a rule of thumb, iTunes only plays nice with MP3, AAC, and Apple Lossless. I'm not even sure that WAV files can hold metadata, and stock iTunes can't take filenames and parse them into tags (though I'm sure some combination of Apple Script and Regex could).

Your best bet might be using libavcodec to encode into Apple Lossless and go from there.

How broadly supported is apple lossless? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot if I want to leave the ecosystem later on. It's disappointing itunes doesn't support MP3 lossless at least.

Would encoding my music into apple lossless add the appropriate metadata? Which program would I use to do this? Handbrake?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There's no such thing as MP3 lossless. If you rip to apple lossless you can convert it to whatever else you want later on (FLAC/WAV/high bitrate MP3/whatever) without losing any fidelity, that's the whole point of lossless compression.

edit: what were you using before to keep your music organised?

astr0man fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 14, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

astr0man posted:

There's no such thing as MP3 lossless. If you rip to apple lossless you can convert it to whatever else you want later on (FLAC/WAV/high bitrate MP3/whatever) without losing any fidelity, that's the whole point of lossless compression.

edit: what were you using before to keep your music organised?

JRiver. I've also used mediamonkey and windows media player in the past - all of them had no trouble with WAV, with a folder per artist and a subfolder per album, and all of them could just pull the appropriate information they needed from the internet to get album covers and stuff. Itunes doesn't seem to recognize that I have different albums, let alone the imbecilic way it wants to copy all my music to a new itunes folder.

I was hoping iOS had advanced to the point where I could avoid using itunes at all, but then I find out I need itunes even for simple poo poo like adding a custom ringtone, or moving stuff from my PC to my phone.

Edit: If I use another program like dBpoweramp to rip stuff into Apple lossless - Since Itunes doesn't appear to have any sort of functionality equivalent to accuraterip - Itunes should still be able to handle it correctly right?

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 14, 2015

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You can tell itunes to not make copies of whatever you import, and to not make it's own folder structure for your library. The problem with no tags is that wav files don't have any metadata stored in them, as someone mentioned before. If you can find a program to convert your music to apple lossless and then auto-tag the files according to your existing folder structure you should be fine. You shouldn't need to re-rip anything if your whole library is wav, just do the conversion to apple lossless.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
If you've accurately named your folders/subfolders/tracks, etc., you can tag the converted files with mp3tag. Really, this is for the best - I can't think of a single benefit to relying on WAV files in TYOOL 2015 (to be honest, I'm not even sure if AccurateRip has been a necessary feature since like 2010).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

If you've accurately named your folders/subfolders/tracks, etc., you can tag the converted files with mp3tag. Really, this is for the best - I can't think of a single benefit to relying on WAV files in TYOOL 2015 (to be honest, I'm not even sure if AccurateRip has been a necessary feature since like 2010).

I never saw the point of converting, since hard drive space is the only real benefit (till now) and these days it's a non issue - my music folder only occupies a few hundred gigs even as WAV.

Will mp3tag work with apple lossless? That sounds like the optimum solution if i can just point it at the music folder and let it run. If I have to manually tag a few hundred albums worth of songs track by track I'd rather just re rip everything - at least then I could just read a book and swap cds over every few minutes.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
iTunes 12.2.2.25 is out.

quote:

This update includes the following improvements:

• Click the Beats 1 banner to see what’s currently on, or view a complete broadcast schedule so you never miss a show
• You can now view a list of the artists you’re following on Apple Music
• Resolved an issue where iTunes loses its place when you go back to a previous page in Apple Music
• Addressed a problem where artists may be sorted incorrectly in My Music
• Fixed a problem where playlists displayed in the action menu may not match the playlists in your library

Still no fix for the double iTunes icon in the taskbar in Windows 10 though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I never saw the point of converting, since hard drive space is the only real benefit (till now) and these days it's a non issue - my music folder only occupies a few hundred gigs even as WAV.

Will mp3tag work with apple lossless? That sounds like the optimum solution if i can just point it at the music folder and let it run. If I have to manually tag a few hundred albums worth of songs track by track I'd rather just re rip everything - at least then I could just read a book and swap cds over every few minutes.

Yep MP3Tag works with apple lossless.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Lord Bude posted:

It's been a while, but I believe Apple Lossless is just a M4A container, so it should accept the tags the same way as any other non-raw format. There's an option "Filename -> Tag."

http://help.mp3tag.de/main_converter.html#ftt

That gives you some simple fields to work with. If you're a little obsessive about your tags (which I am/was), there is some more detailed information about scripting out there. Mp3tag can also import your album covers into your tag, or iTunes is fairly good about doing that if you have mostly official album releases.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Thanks

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If you have a Unix like shell, you can use ffmpeg to batch convert:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1848481

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I THINK I FOUND IT

turn off 'download album art automatically', 'sync playback across devices', and 'share details about your itunes with apple'.

e: not perfect, but it's better.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
I've got a stock, never jailbroken 5c on 8.4 that I've been updating ota that I wanted to jailbreak before the signing window closes. I've tried to restore via iTunes with what is absolutely the correct 8.4 firmware for the device, but I always get the firmware not compatible error. I've never run into this before with other devices. Thoughts? Candor? Anecdotes?

Edit: "absolutely the correct 8.4 firmware" was probably wrong. Having not jailbroken it yet I had no idea Verizon was using the GSM firmware rather than CDMA. Downloading now, off to work, hoping the signing window remains open this evening.

Mastodon Henley fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 21, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Is iTunes still loving up album art and tracklisting? I rarely update but I really want to listen to Beats 1 Radio.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It just split my True Detective soundtrack into two albums, each with half the tracks. It also renamed one "track 4" and deleted all the other info.

I've never had a real problem with it before this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just noticed that in album view itunes auto-scrolls back to the top of the window whenever a new track starts, and I have to scroll back down to the album to see the next track or choose a new album. It's very annoying and I can't seem to find a setting for it.

It seems to be a change with the most recent update.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Jack Gladney posted:

I just noticed that in album view itunes auto-scrolls back to the top of the window whenever a new track starts, and I have to scroll back down to the album to see the next track or choose a new album. It's very annoying and I can't seem to find a setting for it.

It seems to be a change with the most recent update.

This has been my favorite feature of trying to recreate my playlists, too. Thanks to Apple fuckery, I have a mixed-up mess of songs stored locally and in the cloud. So if I'm trying to select from an artist with, say, 11 albums, and the 3rd and 5th albums plus a random scattering of tracks across the others are "in the cloud", and I want to download them locally because gently caress trying to sync mixed cloud/local songs to a phone, that's just a recipe for heartache... so I tell iTunes CTRL-A and tell iTunes to make everything available locally, the super-clear way you have to know means "download" in today's iTunes.

The little loving download circle starts filling up, and after EACH loving one finishes downloading, iTunes will bounce the album view back to the top. Even if you're picking and choosing other tracks in that view from lower down to drag to playlist, gently caress you, iTunes doesn't care, it needs to SHOW you that each song has loving downloaded as it loving happens.

What? You think that simple audio cue it gives you when all current downloads are done is enough? gently caress you and your stupid needs, iTunes doesn't give a gently caress what you're doing, it's going to take control and show you what IT'S up to, over and over and over...

I seriously haven't hated an application this much since like Lotus Notes 4.6. I ever meet somebody from the iTunes team in person, I will happily spend a night in jail for punching them in the jaw.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

smr posted:

This has been my favorite feature of trying to recreate my playlists, too. Thanks to Apple fuckery, I have a mixed-up mess of songs stored locally and in the cloud. So if I'm trying to select from an artist with, say, 11 albums, and the 3rd and 5th albums plus a random scattering of tracks across the others are "in the cloud", and I want to download them locally because gently caress trying to sync mixed cloud/local songs to a phone, that's just a recipe for heartache... so I tell iTunes CTRL-A and tell iTunes to make everything available locally, the super-clear way you have to know means "download" in today's iTunes.

The little loving download circle starts filling up, and after EACH loving one finishes downloading, iTunes will bounce the album view back to the top. Even if you're picking and choosing other tracks in that view from lower down to drag to playlist, gently caress you, iTunes doesn't care, it needs to SHOW you that each song has loving downloaded as it loving happens.

What? You think that simple audio cue it gives you when all current downloads are done is enough? gently caress you and your stupid needs, iTunes doesn't give a gently caress what you're doing, it's going to take control and show you what IT'S up to, over and over and over...

I seriously haven't hated an application this much since like Lotus Notes 4.6. I ever meet somebody from the iTunes team in person, I will happily spend a night in jail for punching them in the jaw.

It sounds like you need therapy more than a better piece of software. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Last Chance posted:

It sounds like you need therapy more than a better piece of software. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

My post was hyperbolic, but seriously, the trouble I and many, many other users have had trying to sync large amounts of music to their expensive smartphones because iTunes is poo poo at its job isn't acceptable. Say what you will about Android, but there's a variety of syncing solutions, both wired and wireless, that have all always worked just fine for me. iTunes and iPhone syncing used to work reasonably well back when iPhone hard drives were tiny, but trying to sync north of 64GB of music has been nothing but an unsuccessful exercise in frustration for a year now. And now, thanks to how jacked-up Apple Music is, it's not even a reliable method of maintaining one's computer music library in order.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I have 71gb of music in the cloud and never really had any issues with it. I even tried selecting a bunch of albums in album view and clicked "Make Available Offline" and it didn't bounce me around at all. No idea what your issue is.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Last Chance posted:

I have 71gb of music in the cloud and never really had any issues with it. I even tried selecting a bunch of albums in album view and clicked "Make Available Offline" and it didn't bounce me around at all. No idea what your issue is.

Seriously, dude. There are well-documented, pervasive issues with Apple Music. I'm honestly happy that you're not experiencing them, but that doesn't mean they're some idiosyncratic "the problem is between the keyboard and the chair" issues.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

Seriously, dude. There are well-documented, pervasive issues with Apple Music. I'm honestly happy that you're not experiencing them, but that doesn't mean they're some idiosyncratic "the problem is between the keyboard and the chair" issues.

And?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Last Chance posted:

My issue is with iTunes. That you fail to comprehend that isn't my problem.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah? And I tried recreating your issue in iTunes in order to see if I could see if there was a setting or something to change, please don't start hitting me or your loved ones.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 25, 2015

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Last Chance posted:

Yeah? And I tried recreating your issue in iTunes in order to see if I could see if there was a setting or something to change, please don't start hitting me or your loved ones.

No, you didn't "tr[y] recreating [my] issue in iTunes". You simply told it to download a large amount of cloud files and said "it's fine". That's great, and that works over here, too, but that's also not what my problem has been.

If iTunes is great for you, great. It doesn't need you white-knighting it and you barging in to tell every single person that actually has a problem with it, and we are legion, that it's all in our head.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I realise that with iTunes I might as well fart in my own mouth as hope it'll work the way it's supposed to, but does anybody have any insight into why I'm not able to access the music on my MacBook from my PC? Home sharing is turned on and signed into on both machines, I can access the PC from my Mac just fine, but no matter what I do I can't get the stupid Shared Libraries thing to appear on the PC. I hate iTunes so much :(

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

TACD posted:

I realise that with iTunes I might as well fart in my own mouth as hope it'll work the way it's supposed to, but does anybody have any insight into why I'm not able to access the music on my MacBook from my PC? Home sharing is turned on and signed into on both machines, I can access the PC from my Mac just fine, but no matter what I do I can't get the stupid Shared Libraries thing to appear on the PC. I hate iTunes so much :(

This is going to sound dumb, but the macbook is awake when you’re testing this?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Kaizoku posted:

This is going to sound dumb, but the macbook is awake when you’re testing this?
I wish it were that simple ;) Yea, the laptop is on and iTunes is open, and I can see the shared library on the PC, taunting me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Didn't Apple Music break Home Sharing?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
This option is gone in the latest iTunes version:

Is there no way to hide iTunes purchases in the cloud now?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

terre packet posted:

This option is gone in the latest iTunes version:

Is there no way to hide iTunes purchases in the cloud now?

There's an option from the main toolbar (I think "View," but Apple) that lets you show only those songs that are available "offline."

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

There's an option from the main toolbar (I think "View," but Apple) that lets you show only those songs that are available "offline."

That worked perfectly, thank you!

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I've just cleaned out all of my Apple Music files from my iTunes library. According to iTunes I have 2336 songs in my library. All of them are off-line, and all of the files are in *.m4a format.

However when I go to my iTunes music directory and ask for a count of files there-in :

code:
cd /Volumes/Storage\ and\ Media/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music
find . -iname "*.m4a" -print | wc -l
I get a count of 2338. Is there any way I can find out where the 'extra' 2 files that are counted in the file system but not in my library are?

"You need to get out more" is a totally valid response, but doesn't answer my question. :)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Maybe it's the hidden dotfiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
This works for my collection, but I don't let iTunes manage my files and obviously you'd need to change the paths. Should get you close though:

code:
(grep -o "[^\/]*\.m4a" iTunes\ Music\ Library.xml | perl -pe 's/%([0-9a-f]{2})/sprintf("%s", pack("H2",$1))/eig'; find /cygdrive/g/\(Library\)/audio/music/ -name "*.m4a" -printf "%f\n") | sort | uniq -c | grep -Pv "^\s+2\s+"
It takes the names of all the .m4as in the iTunes library + all the ones in the filesystem, and removes any names that appear exactly twice.