Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Email sent to bosses.

All,

Due to a stomach ache I will have tomorrow, I will be unavailable for most of Friday. I apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.

What, you've never had a big spicy meal (usually mexican) and then thought about twenty minutes later "Oh god that was a mistake, there goes tomorrow"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I am continually surprised with just how many Texas goons there are, especially in this thread :psyduck:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I'm also in the DFW area - Plano to be exact. It's fuckin hot and I want to move.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

mewse posted:

Kid was clever enough to change that setting but not to change it back?
The only thing I'm actually annoyed by is that he didn't fess up to it when I was like "so did anything happen before it stopped working? did you change anything, or install any new programs?" I mean I'm not SURPRISED people don't fess up to loving their own computers, but it would have saved time and effort. Then again, the kid was without his gaming computer for half a week during the end of summer, so I guess he's been punished enough.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 13, 2015

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Moey posted:

No one ever download VMTurbo's free monitoring software. They will call you everyday, forever.

VMTurbo: "We automatically adjust your resource allotment in vCenter so you don't have to spend hours doing it! COST SAVINGS!"
Me: "My team doesn't spend hours doing it. We deploy conservatively and use DRS to load balance. I don't remember the last time we had to worry about-"
VMTurbo: "... but you'll save HOURS everyday!"
Me: "If I was spending hours manually load balancing I'd be very concerned about the state of my environment..."
VMTurbo: "EXACTLY now you won't HAVE to!"
Me: "But I DON'T."
VMTurbo: "So... follow-up meeting?"
Me: "No."

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lord Dudeguy posted:

VMTurbo: "We automatically adjust your resource allotment in vCenter so you don't have to spend hours doing it! COST SAVINGS!"
Me: "My team doesn't spend hours doing it. We deploy conservatively and use DRS to load balance. I don't remember the last time we had to worry about-"
VMTurbo: "... but you'll save HOURS everyday!"
Me: "If I was spending hours manually load balancing I'd be very concerned about the state of my environment..."
VMTurbo: "EXACTLY now you won't HAVE to!"
Me: "But I DON'T."
VMTurbo: "So... follow-up meeting?"
Me: "No."

Ha, good to know. I have not actually deployed the software, was bored one day and was thinking about it.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Moey posted:

Ha, good to know. I have not actually deployed the software, was bored one day and was thinking about it.

We have vKernel vFoglight to do our monitoring/deployment recommendations. VMTurbo apparently takes it one step further and executes against its own recommendations (haha no).

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm also in the DFW area - Plano to be exact. It's fuckin hot and I want to move.

Sup Dallas nerdgoons
Give it tll late January and it'll be fuckin cold and you'll want to move.

We might have to go meet for bbq one day.

In other news from my new pod, I just got reimbursed for buying sodas and snacks for the office, as well as charges for parking downtown.

I also heard word that the idiot VP from $JOB-1 (lets get our vendors to pay for our expanding hardware costs by giving them free advertising in return!) is basically getting fired. Still glad I left.
One of the guys in India flattened an entire VMAX by typing someting into it he found on google and everyones pulling major overtime (Except for support) to get environments back up again.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

nitrogen posted:

Sup Dallas nerdgoons

We might have to go meet for bbq one day.

In other news from my new pod, I just got reimbursed for buying sodas and snacks for the office, as well as charges for parking downtown.

I also heard word that the idiot VP from $JOB-1 (lets get our vendors to pay for our expanding hardware costs by giving them free advertising in return!) is basically getting fired. Still glad I left.
One of the guys in India flattened an entire VMAX by typing someting into it he found on google and everyones pulling major overtime (Except for support) to get environments back up again.

cd \ | sudo rm -rf *

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

nitrogen posted:

It's sad. I rant daily about how I wish the offshore admins would go off script and turn on their brains once in a blue moon, but when one of them tries this seems to be the result.

I've had offshore folks do the very same thing on at least 2 occasions in the past 4 years. Someday there will be a tipping point in the balance between missed SLA payouts and the cost of employing competent administrators. I hope that day is sooner than later :smithcloud:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

J posted:

Meetings are hard.

Apparently so, but this isn't even for a meeting room. This is a web meeting. A meeting that they can go in, check who's available at what time, and schedule.

What's so hard about that?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

bull3964 posted:

This is a universal truth for any free piece of software that requires contact info to download.

Why would you sign up for anything online with any info except one of your spam email addresses and a fake phone number? :psyduck: They can send emails straight to my Gmail aggregate junk mail account's spam folder all day for all I care.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

bull3964 posted:

This is a universal truth for any free piece of software that requires contact info to download.

This is why you put in fake contact information. :colbert:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
How is it that when I ask for a specific email address that's being blocked so that I can find out why it's being blocked, all I can can get is the following.

quote:

government emails and embassies with .org
And the New York Palace

It is making us lose business and need this solved please

OKAY.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

How is it that when I ask for a specific email address that's being blocked so that I can find out why it's being blocked, all I can can get is the following.

OKAY.

Your mail server is being black listed by mxlogic. Good luck.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

The Fool posted:

Your mail server is being black listed by mxlogic. Good luck.

For incoming mail? all the servers on our side are clean according to mxtoolbox, I'm just resolving this as "Client refused to provide sufficient information"

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
poo poo pissing me off: three separate people trying to talk to me about :tinfoil: type poo poo. One guy with 9/11 stuff, two people trying to tell me that Windows 10 is a "data collection hyper scam".

Me: you can turn all that stuff off you know
Both guys in separate occasions: No it stays on, collecting every thirty minutes!
Me: Where'd you hear that?
Both: I was just reading an article earlier today...

Hmmm yes, one article that says you're right vs all these other ones that say you're wrong. Whoever made that 4chan image that people are quoting as hard truth needs to be shot

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luna Was Here posted:

poo poo pissing me off: three separate people trying to talk to me about :tinfoil: type poo poo. One guy with 9/11 stuff, two people trying to tell me that Windows 10 is a "data collection hyper scam".

Me: you can turn all that stuff off you know
Both guys in separate occasions: No it stays on, collecting every thirty minutes!
Me: Where'd you hear that?
Both: I was just reading an article earlier today...

Hmmm yes, one article that says you're right vs all these other ones that say you're wrong. Whoever made that 4chan image that people are quoting as hard truth needs to be shot
Hate to break it to you, but there was an article on arse technica yesterday. It's a bad article, because there's literally no attempt at analysis of the information that's getting sent to Microsoft, but it's sending something regardless of the settings.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Well, there was a little bit of an attempt at analysis. At least they looked up the DNS records being hit, what caused it, what it was sending back, and whether it sent a unique machine id.

It looks pretty bad

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Can you explain further? I read the article but didn't see anything alarming. I guess it uses some bandwidth.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

Hate to break it to you, but there was an article on arse technica yesterday. It's a bad article, because there's literally no attempt at analysis of the information that's getting sent to Microsoft, but it's sending something regardless of the settings.

Was there really? Neither of the guys who talked to me could say where they got the article from so I brushed it off since I don't follow them. I was running off of a few different articles from pcgamer and pcworld plus a few others that I could dig up when I'm at home that went over all the congruent things you had to disable but if there really is poo poo being collected regardless then point against me for the day

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

nitrogen posted:

Sup Dallas nerdgoons

Yeah, for me, until it breaches like 102-103, the heat doesn't bug me; I did marching band in high school so I'm used to this heat plus a bulky/heavy band uniform and poo poo. The cold is where I start to be a big baby. :ohdear:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

beejay posted:

Can you explain further? I read the article but didn't see anything alarming. I guess it uses some bandwidth.

The basic question is: what are they doing?

And it this is what they see after a week in isolated (but common) use cases, what's being done in uncommon cases? How do we know there's no malintent?

It sends machine IDs to MS (well, Bing) every time you type n the start menu. This is probably so it can correlate common searches and give you "better" results, but why can't you opt out? Even Google gives you that option.

Hitting one of their own servers to guess your network config is innocuous.

Pulling new data from MSN is a bandwidth waste. And Microsoft is better than they used to be, but font rendering happened in kernel space recently. Downloading data to update tiles from a known URP begs for a mitm. I don't know if the live tiles (or even explorer) run privileged these days, but I'd worry anyway, and you'll probably be able to exploit a buffer overflow and mitm unpatched Windows 10 installs which don't verify the data sent with any encryption key or something.

To be fair, Apple also does this. And Canonical. And KDE can. But at least all of those are disabled when you're not using the feature. This isn't.

Sending telemetry to Microsoft even when it's disabled is bad. Ignoring GP is really, really bad.

The CDN bits, who knows? Probably checking for updates or something. Ars should maybe have mirrored the ports or sniffed it instead of tossing their hands up because it bypassed a proxy.

But this is a lot of monitoring out of the box, some can't be disabled without group policy, some can't be disabled with it, and MS pointing at the user agreement is stupid and goes back on the more open Microsoft we've seen lately.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

For incoming mail? all the servers on our side are clean according to mxtoolbox, I'm just resolving this as "Client refused to provide sufficient information"

Sorry, I thought it was outgoing from your client to those government agencies.

I've had mxlogic block clients without them being on any other blacklist.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Please tell me that did not actually happen.

It may or may not have. >_> If it did, it might be in my post history.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

nielsm posted:

a boot disk usually needs something more than just FORMAT A: /S on it, to be useful.

That made me all warm and fuzzy inside. :3:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

evol262 posted:

The basic question is: what are they doing?

And it this is what they see after a week in isolated (but common) use cases, what's being done in uncommon cases? How do we know there's no malintent?

It sends machine IDs to MS (well, Bing) every time you type n the start menu. This is probably so it can correlate common searches and give you "better" results, but why can't you opt out? Even Google gives you that option.

Hitting one of their own servers to guess your network config is innocuous.

Pulling new data from MSN is a bandwidth waste. And Microsoft is better than they used to be, but font rendering happened in kernel space recently. Downloading data to update tiles from a known URP begs for a mitm. I don't know if the live tiles (or even explorer) run privileged these days, but I'd worry anyway, and you'll probably be able to exploit a buffer overflow and mitm unpatched Windows 10 installs which don't verify the data sent with any encryption key or something.

To be fair, Apple also does this. And Canonical. And KDE can. But at least all of those are disabled when you're not using the feature. This isn't.

Sending telemetry to Microsoft even when it's disabled is bad. Ignoring GP is really, really bad.

The CDN bits, who knows? Probably checking for updates or something. Ars should maybe have mirrored the ports or sniffed it instead of tossing their hands up because it bypassed a proxy.

But this is a lot of monitoring out of the box, some can't be disabled without group policy, some can't be disabled with it, and MS pointing at the user agreement is stupid and goes back on the more open Microsoft we've seen lately.

No word on whether the destination hosts form a small enough set that can be blocked by pointing them to 127.0.0.1 in HOSTS?

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Weatherman posted:

No word on whether the destination hosts form a small enough set that can be blocked by pointing them to 127.0.0.1 in HOSTS?

I don't know if this list is all-inclusive, but I got it from reddit back on launch day: http://paste2.org/A1sv86VF

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pikachu posted:

I don't know if this list is all-inclusive, but I got it from reddit back on launch day: http://paste2.org/A1sv86VF
Why does one of those have port 443 on it

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
"This lovely OS phones home even when you tell it not to, *inserts hosts entries*" - The guys responsible for Jurassic Park security

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Another DFW goon here, Arlington to be specific. Need more A/C. Nothing pissing me off today, cause I called out sick. No printers for me until next week.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Things pissing me off:

Got an escalation in the support group because someone in sales sold something without fully confirming hardware compatibility. And it's it the magnitude of $10K.
Fortunately everything's alright on my end, but man. And this isn't a random sales person: the customer has a dedicated rep.
So another "Sales" thing here.

Edit: OKC goon here

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

Why does one of those have port 443 on it

Yeah, what does the second one add that's not covered implicitly by the first one?

0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net
0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net:443

I'm guessing this may have been created using multiple sources and it slipped through.

I'm curious. Are there any legit services this may kill?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

flosofl posted:

Yeah, what does the second one add that's not covered implicitly by the first one?

0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net
0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net:443

I'm guessing this may have been created using multiple sources and it slipped through.

I'm curious. Are there any legit services this may kill?

why is it redirecting to 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1?

and why is it trying to redirect ports using the hosts file?

It seems like reddit is spreading a stupid and useless file around :ohdear:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
to quote a conversation I had with a friend recently:
"Microsoft can always spin up more servers and force the updates on you - or just hardcode it and ignore /etc/hosts for those hosts.. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life playing Whack-a-Host?"

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RFC2324 posted:

why is it redirecting to 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1?

and why is it trying to redirect ports using the hosts file?

It seems like reddit is spreading a stupid and useless file around :ohdear:

Reddit is stupid and useless? WHY I NEVER

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

People don't know how TCP/IP and DNS works, news at 11.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Ars is less idiotic than Reddit and claims that at least some of the stuff explicitly bypassed their proxies, and ignores the hosts file. Blackholing it from a real DNS server should be fine anyway, but that's still whack-a-mole and doesn't address the root cause.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Or just firewall it. My home firewall is set to allow all outbound but I might have to change that if I start using Win10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The rightfax server we stopped paying licensing for 3 years ago froze up in the middle of last night and we stopped receiving faxes. I woke up and caught it at 6am before anyone in the office makes it in. I made the mistake of saying it had an issue in the middle of the night now the customer service person is furious because she might have missed a fax.

I just reviewed the rightfax log and we haven't had a fax in the middle of the night since 2012. Of course the executive that loves to get angry at clouds is wanting to have a meeting about this. I hope not to let facts get in the way of a good fake outrage.