Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So if anyone remembers the Dive In system (most notable feature was the ability to stream FF13 on tablets), they're shutting it down on September 13th and refunding anyone that ordered a year-long subscription in full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm giving the Ring to Vivi for Magic Elem-Null. I have no idea what that does. Nullifies magic element? Does that mean magic attacks just plain won't hurt him? That seems a bit overpowered. But, again, no idea if that is what it actually does.

Had to look it up, it apparently removes the element from your spells. So fire spells become non-elemental spells and you can get by immunities. Unless the enemy is immune to all elements you'll probably not want it on him ever.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Golden Goat posted:

Had to look it up, it apparently removes the element from your spells. So fire spells become non-elemental spells and you can get by immunities. Unless the enemy is immune to all elements you'll probably not want it on him ever.

Not to mention that you get a bunch of non-elemental spells anyway. Keep in mind that if you choose to use Auto-Reflect, you can bounce spells off your party to great effect. It'll do 4x if there's only one enemy, but it gets halved if there are more than one--still effectively doubling your damage--and that's not counting Reflect x2.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

How many bosses are there in the game that negate/absorb/half all elements anyway? I don't think there's ever a point in the game where Vivi is a complete waste in battle.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Golden Goat posted:

How many bosses are there in the game that negate/absorb/half all elements anyway? I don't think there's ever a point in the game where Vivi is a complete waste in battle.

None, the game manages to keep weaknesses/resistances relevant the whole game. In fact only human bosses like Kuja have no elemental weaknesses, and even then they're vulnerable to Man Eater.

That said, Eiko becomes more relevant for hitting weaknesses end-game as compared to Vivi/Dagger; Holy/Wind weaknesses start appearing more often.You can still hit weaknesses with the latter group up til Lich at least. Not that it matters too much since you can just swap/stick with Flare/Mega Flare.

If Twister/Lv4 Holy were more reliable Quina would be less gimmicky as a damage dealer, which is one reason I've rarely taken him/her to endgame; usually it ends up being Frog Drop or roll with the unreliable Twister or ehh Earth Shake.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Tae posted:

So if anyone remembers the Dive In system (most notable feature was the ability to stream FF13 on tablets), they're shutting it down on September 13th and refunding anyone that ordered a year-long subscription in full.

At least it got them to port the XIII games to PC. No idea why Lightning Returns is taking so long, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So in the end I was stressing unnecessarily. But first, Oeilvert.

There is a thing I've noticed in the mod but never commented on because I didn't get it. Garnet and Eikio can' do damage with physical attacks. Ever since start of Disk 2 when Garnet got her first Racket I've tried toi have them attack now and then but all it ever does is heal the enemies. I thought it was an elemental thing but the Air Racket, which was Wind, still healed the enemies near Trenio, some birds that Scan said were weak to Wind. I figured it was an addition to the mod because why are you attacking physically with a White Mage.

Th relevant problem here is that Amarant - who I brought along for the Oeilvert Team (thanks for that recommendation, it was a lifesaver) - could not hurt anything. I don't know if this is a mod alteration or not. I again thought this might be due to equipment, even though enemies absorbed Pinwheels he threw as well. Changing his equipment did nothing. I thought Pinwheels might have elements on them so I threw Rising Suns. Still nothing, except that it healed the enemies more. The worst enemies were the Ogres which have crazy amounts of HP and speed. Even with Steiner's new Thunder Slash doing a 1000 and Zidane and Freya doing another 1000 between them, they survived. Their attacks aren't that strong at first but remember you have no real healer so that poo poo adds up. Also eventually they use Flame which will probably wipe your party out of nowhere because you didn't expect that after they did so little damage. I might have been able to finish one off in a timely manner if Amarant could do any damage.

Ark wasn't so bad. Like Soulcage, I was glad to find out it had a move that was nothing but a status effect. I just reloaded, put Clear-Headed on everyone and now Ark wasted its turn a lot. It had a lot of Hp though and I was lucky that Zidane and Amarant were almost at Trance when I went into the fight. A very lucky coincidence, that. Steiner was the best damage dealer I had but he could only do Thunder Slash twice before needing more MP. Luckily he has Rejuvenation, which I think might be a mod addition that lets him recover about half his HP and MP in one turn. Anyway, Zidane's Dyne did another 6000 as I was very lucky and got all o Ark's steals right at the beginning and didn't have to waste time with that. Love that Holy Lance for Freya.

Now to Desert Palace. Thanks again for telling me to bring Quina. You see, I was worried about one type of enemy in particular because my Oeilvert team ran into them while leading. Grimlocks. I don't know what their gimmick is exactly but I'd guess it' that one is vulnerable to physical and the other to magic. Either way, they seem to have a ton of HP. In fact, I think every enemy here had the exact same amount of HP. It was 3249. Anyway, the Grimlocks were making me nervous until I scanned them and saw they were Level 30. I got Level 5 Death for Quina as an afterthought but now I'm so glad I did. With Half MP I could end the battle with those assholes in one turn and all it cost was 25 MP.

The lion things are ridiculously weak to Water it seems and Vvi can take off most of their HP in one move. Quina grabbed Level 4 Holy off them The Drakan, the big floating mage guys, were the second most worrisome of the enemies but they were Level 33 so Level 3 Def-less made Quina do some great damage. Still simpler to take off most of their health with Ramuh but Quina could finish the job while also regaining MP with his Absorb MP ability. I got Vanish from them. Dunno if that is different or not from normal game.

all in all, I was over-anxious. The dungeon is actually very short and I was only there for an extended period because I'm dumb and overlooked some things. I got all the Bloodstones so the boss posed no real threat. I kinda feel like I cheated but oh well. I make no pretenses about being a master of this game. I do intend to beat Ozma and Hades eventually but I'm not 100%'ing it or anything. loving Jump Rope makes dodging 200 lightning bolts seem easy, quick and fun by comparison. Overall FFIX is a lot nicer than many other games with its sidequests and ultimate weapons and the like but Excalbiur II and Jump Rope are still bullshit.

Also I think Auto-Reflect was removed in the mod. Or at least it's no longer on the Reflect Ring. If I want to try that exploit I guess I can use Carbuncle then immediately have Vivi cast whatever spell on the party.

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah that is pretty lovely. Thanks for the info, though.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 14, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do you have the healer ability equipped? It makes your physical attacks heal instead of doing damage (and it applies to throw too I guess? I didn't know that)

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 14, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I figured it was an addition to the mod because why are you attacking physically with a White Mage.
Why would you ever use a physical attack for healing though? :shrug:

NikkolasKing posted:

Th relevant problem here is that Amarant - who I brought along for the Oeilvert Team (thanks for that recommendation, it was a lifesaver) - could not hurt anything. I don't know if this is a mod alteration or not. I again thought this might be due to equipment, even though enemies absorbed Pinwheels he threw as well. Changing his equipment did nothing. I thought Pinwheels might have elements on them so I threw Rising Suns. Still nothing, except that it healed the enemies more. The worst enemies were the Ogres which have crazy amounts of HP and speed. Even with Steiner's new Thunder Slash doing a 1000 and Zidane and Freya doing another 1000 between them, they survived. Their attacks aren't that strong at first but remember you have no real healer so that poo poo adds up. Also eventually they use Flame which will probably wipe your party out of nowhere because you didn't expect that after they did so little damage. I might have been able to finish one off in a timely manner if Amarant could do any damage.
That's weird. What's the properties on Amarant's thrown attacks? Does it heal your allies if it's thrown at them?

I have a feeling the mod hosed around with Amarant's thrown attacks by mistake.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

...oh poo poo. Yes I do. I didn't think that's what that ability did at all. I'm a dumbass.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Golden Goat posted:

Why would you ever use a physical attack for healing though? :shrug:

Because it's a good, MP-free way to heal people, and has the side effect of breaking Confusion (presumably)?

There's a reason the Healing Staff is so good in any game it's been in.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Because it's a good, MP-free way to heal people, and has the side effect of breaking Confusion (presumably)?

There's a reason the Healing Staff is so good in any game it's been in.

As I remember the healing from having Garnet, Eiko or Vivi do it wasn't much compared to a proper spell.

And using Amarant for it kind of knocks out his damage options.

E: and wasn't the Healing Staff good because it casts Cure instead of having to hit your ally for the healing?

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 14, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Golden Goat posted:

As I remember the healing from having Garnet, Eiko or Vivi do it wasn't much compared to a proper spell.

And using Amarant for it kind of knocks out his damage options.

E: and wasn't the Healing Staff good because it casts Cure instead of having to hit your ally for the healing?

In FFV, at least, it was a 100% proc rate on attack, not an on-use. That's why it was so useful, you got healing AND Confusion-breaking.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Exactly. Amarant lost all potential for damage. Every single move of his healed the target. I'm such an idiot I didn't realize that's what that ability did. It's absolutely not worth it.

Besides, even if I could have Amarant chuck a Rising Sun at a party member to heal them, that's only single target. I haven't seriously used single target healing in forever. It's just smarter to have Eiko or Garnet use Cura on the whole party. It's another reason I never use potions in battle anymore. You need party-all stuff in this game really bad, which is probably why Freya and Steiner have abilities that let them put Protect and Shell on the whole party. Those were a big help.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ah right, pretty sure the confusion break will work for IX too.

Still though the damage in IX from it appears to come from your physical attack power which unless you're using Amarant is gonna be low. Was it the same for the other games?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

In FFV, it was an on-attack Cura proc, but after about the first quarter of the game that's just supplemental healing, not anything of note. It was just good because it used a character's turn effectively at the cost of zero resources (MP/items/whatever). :shrug:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah you're completely right about the Healing staff being great. But the Healer ability in IX is kind of pants since it's based on attack power and you get it too late for it to really shine.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, I haven't played IX in... honestly way too loving long, and didn't remember when the ability showed up. If it was as early as the Healing Staff shows up (maybe 90 minutes into the game?) it'd probably be amazing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I haven't played IX in... honestly way too loving long, and didn't remember when the ability showed up. If it was as early as the Healing Staff shows up (maybe 90 minutes into the game?) it'd probably be amazing.

I feel mean saying this but I think early on Garnet and Vivi will do about 10-30 damage on hit around the start. Having Healer early might still be poo poo.

Was any equipment in IX useable? Like for casting stuff? Cause that would be a great addition.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Tae posted:

That's their second failed consumer cloud gaming service. Third try's a charm?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Gologle posted:

This bullshit is how we got Caius and his A YUEL THAT OVERANALYZED FINAL FANTASY GAMES. A YEUL THAT POSTED IN THE FINAL FANTASY MEGATHREAD CONSTANTLY. A YUEL THAT LIKED STRANGE YAOI BULLSHIT.

what does this means

and what do you have against yaoi you heathen

gay anime boys are sacred

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

An appropriate username

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I have a query regarding FFX on PS4:

Did they edit out the No Encounters weapon drop you could get from Geosgaeno, the big fish at Baaj Temple? I just tried for like an hour but all I'm getting is Auto-Reflect equipment for the character landing the killing blow. Am I just missing something really obvious that I should be doing? I played the game when I was younger, but I never really cared about drops. It'd just be nice to have the feature available for when I attempt those pesky lightning bolts, and it seems like the easiest way to get it.

Thanks in advance. :)

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Cake Attack posted:

An appropriate username

i like your avatar

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
PS4 version is currently bugged to not be random. They're going to fix that in a future patch.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You should still be able to get the weapon though if you go do something else then go fight Geosgaeno again. If you've been reloading the same save and redoing the fight over and over then the bugged RNG means things will play out exactly the same everytime and you'll keep getting the same drop

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Here's a long time question. In in the first tactics game, what causes a characters other jobs to level up? I could never figure out why it happened. Like when you're a knight and your monk job randomly gains skill points.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Tae posted:

PS4 version is currently bugged to not be random. They're going to fix that in a future patch.

Help Im Alive posted:

You should still be able to get the weapon though if you go do something else then go fight Geosgaeno again. If you've been reloading the same save and redoing the fight over and over then the bugged RNG means things will play out exactly the same everytime and you'll keep getting the same drop

Thanks guys, that explains a lot!

What will count as "doing something else"? Can I pop back onto the airship then head back down to see how it goes? Will I need to go to the airship, then fly somewhere else entirely?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think you have to get into a different random fight or something? I'm not sure.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Kingtheninja posted:

Here's a long time question. In in the first tactics game, what causes a characters other jobs to level up? I could never figure out why it happened. Like when you're a knight and your monk job randomly gains skill points.

Other characters earning points in the job is what does it. If character A is a Monk and character B has monk unlocked, character B will get (I think) one sixth of the Monk JP character A earns as long as they're both deployed.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kingtheninja posted:

JP Spillover.

When one of your characters gains JP in the Job they're in, your other characters gain around 1/4 of the JP earned for that Job.

giffan
Jul 10, 2012
Oh my god I never realized that's how the JP spillover works. I've played Tactics so many times, I feel such a fool haha

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

In Training posted:

I think you have to get into a different random fight or something? I'm not sure.

Okie doke, I'll try that. Thanks again dudes. A bit weird, but I guess it breaks up the monotony a bit when you don't get the drop you want!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Other characters earning points in the job is what does it. If character A is a Monk and character B has monk unlocked, character B will get (I think) one sixth of the Monk JP character A earns as long as they're both deployed.
from the battle mechanics guide:

JP SHARING
When unit X gains JP, everyone else in the party will earn
[gained JP / 4] towards the job which unit X currently has.
Note: if unit X has 'Gained JP-UP', the extra JP given by that
ability are ignored in the JP sharing equation.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Daguerreo did a number on my wallet. I remembered you could synthesize great stuff here so I hightailed it over there as soon as I got the Hilda Garde 3 but I forgot it had a great equipment shop too. There are a ton of new weapons and armors and I can't afford it all. I needn't have wasted money on Frey'a Obelisk though as her Holy Lance is still better. God I love that thing.

Anyway, question. Another thing I forgot about is that you can synth the summoning stones. Suddenly the Jewel ability for Eiko doesn't seem so useless. Anyway, My question is, are powering up Leviathan or Ifrit or Shiva or Ramuh worth it? I can synth Garnets to power up Bahamut and that seems like the top priority. Elemental weaknesses are nice and all but I would guess that Bahamut simply has a higher bse attack than any of the others. It's kinda like how Holy does more damage to enemies than Vivi's Aga spells, even when the enemy is weak to Fire/Ice/Lightning and not to Holy. I can assure you that the Grand Dragon I barely defeated before getting into Daguerreo was only beaten because Holy does at least 4000 to everything while I have yet to see Vivi do more than 3500 or so and that was with the highly inconsistent Comet/Meteor.

Also why is my Treasure Hunter Rank F? I've been collecting every chest I can find and I have mos Chocobo Treasures.... I mean, I don't doubt I've missed some stuff but F?

Anyway time to go money grinding.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 15, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You also get points for every key item you have in your inventory, and you get credit for every unique ! you investigate.

Also note that Holy is a single-target spell. -aga spells are weaker because they have the utility of letting you target every enemy at once. Flare should do comparable damage.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hm. well I just got a Black Robe for Vivi so I'll be sure to try out Flare. Thanks.

I guess I won't b getting Rank S and learning Gilgamesh's name then... Oh well. I actually wanted to learn Amarant's real name. I thought it was related to the Treasure Hunting stuff too but not sure.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Sorry about bringing this up again, but is there anything more to the RNG bug for PS4 FFX that I should know about? Reddit's giving me the impression that I need to get into battles in completely different areas each time I fail to get the No Encounters weapon drop from Geosgaeno, but I'm always getting Auto-Reflect equipment instead no matter where I go first. Is it just impossible for me to get it somehow while the bug's there? Some seem to be getting it "on their second try" after buggering off into another area for a fight. It feels like I'm either doing something wrong or I'm just boned. Bit of a shame, I'm enjoying the game and would like to move on with it!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Sorry about bringing this up again, but is there anything more to the RNG bug for PS4 FFX that I should know about? Reddit's giving me the impression that I need to get into battles in completely different areas each time I fail to get the No Encounters weapon drop from Geosgaeno, but I'm always getting Auto-Reflect equipment instead no matter where I go first. Is it just impossible for me to get it somehow while the bug's there? Some seem to be getting it "on their second try" after buggering off into another area for a fight. It feels like I'm either doing something wrong or I'm just boned. Bit of a shame, I'm enjoying the game and would like to move on with it!

There was another guy a while back who posted about trying to get the exact same weapon from Geosgaeno and IIRC he went and did a couple of battles in the Monster Arena then got the No Encounters weapon on his first try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
I was at least one of those people and yeah, you'll have a far easier time getting some NE armor off a ghost in the arena. As it happens, I got that NE armor, then immediately went to fight Geo and of course the NE ductile rod dropped the first try after that. I was previously getting the reflect targe bug.