Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

New Leaf posted:

Thanks guys.

Last weirdness - Piccolo was all like "After we deal with Radditz, I'll go back to my plans for world domination!" Which includes what, sitting on a rock staring into the distance? He's just spouting all that because he's supposed to because of his father, right? His heart was never really in it from what I can tell.

The last saga from DB establishes this pretty well. It's weird if you ignore that, but it all makes sense if you connect those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

New Leaf posted:

Thanks guys.

Last weirdness - Piccolo was all like "After we deal with Radditz, I'll go back to my plans for world domination!" Which includes what, sitting on a rock staring into the distance? He's just spouting all that because he's supposed to because of his father, right? His heart was never really in it from what I can tell.

No, he totally would take over the world if it wasn't for Gohan. You should see him in DB. Thing is, he knows Goku would just break his face in so he needed to grow his strength.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

New Leaf posted:

Thanks guys.

Last weirdness - Piccolo was all like "After we deal with Radditz, I'll go back to my plans for world domination!" Which includes what, sitting on a rock staring into the distance?

I think you mean "meditating" :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Farecoal posted:

I think you mean "meditating" :colbert:

I think you mean "napping". :colbert:

sick reference secured we did it guys

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Is Chioutzu even friends with Goku & co? I like to imagine him as a +1 that no-one in the group really likes but just sorta puts up with cos he's always hanging around with Tien, and every time they're left alone with him there's a bunch of long silences and awkward chitchat because nobody's ever spent time with him and found out what his deal is.

"So, uh........ what's Crane school up to these days? "

:geno: "....not much"

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I think it would be funny if it turned out he was the ultimate evil in the universe and Tien stopped him from blowing up existence by pretending to be his friend.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Enourmo posted:

It's been eons since I read DB but before Z started Goku was I think the only one who could sense ki cause he drank the magic power up water or whatever. Then he died and saiyans happened and Toriyama just was just like "whatever all the main characters can do it now except bulma or w/e".

I think nimbus was faster, or at least more energy efficient before the Namek era.

Yeah it's this. I don't remember if anyone else ever actually drinks the real water. I assume the rest of the Z fighters learned it from Kami, in the same way Gohan learned from Piccolo. I always thought Roshi just picked up the skill from observing his students, he always seemed pretty on the ball to me.

When fighting Piccolo you can take Goku flying one of two ways, he either kept it secret until the last possible moment as a trump card, or he just didn't know and literally developed the ability in the fight. I always thought it was the second myself.

I think on Namek he even asks Freeza to fight on the ground, since he's not as good at flying and Freeza has the advantage there.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah it's this. I don't remember if anyone else ever actually drinks the real water. I assume the rest of the Z fighters learned it from Kami, in the same way Gohan learned from Piccolo. I always thought Roshi just picked up the skill from observing his students, he always seemed pretty on the ball to me.

When fighting Piccolo you can take Goku flying one of two ways, he either kept it secret until the last possible moment as a trump card, or he just didn't know and literally developed the ability in the fight. I always thought it was the second myself.

I think on Namek he even asks Freeza to fight on the ground, since he's not as good at flying and Freeza has the advantage there.

Makes sense. I don't know why every Z fighter wouldn't go through the exact same training as Goku did before he went completely off the rails into Saiyan craziness. If I could re-write the show, Krillin getting Guru's boost would give him a natural edge for future fights, plus the others who died to the Saiyans would get Kaioken from King Kai instead of getting ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. That way it would keep them all useful.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Goku is an rear end in a top hat that likes keeping everything he learns to himself.

He never told anyone how he got to SSJ3, he never taught anyone to teleport, even after training with them for like 5 years straight, and he never taught anyone kaioken either.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Makes sense. I don't know why every Z fighter wouldn't go through the exact same training as Goku did before he went completely off the rails into Saiyan craziness. If I could re-write the show, Krillin getting Guru's boost would give him a natural edge for future fights, plus the others who died to the Saiyans would get Kaioken from King Kai instead of getting ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. That way it would keep them all useful.

The funny thing is, that's exactly what happened at first. They trained with Kami in order to catch up to/exceed the level Goku was at during the Raditz fight. Then the idea of a zenkai was introduced after the Vegeta fight and the others had no chance of catching up ever again.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This is one of those things that make people say that Dragonball is all-round a better written story than DBZ. Pretty much all the stables, flying, ki beams, sensing energy, were introduced as a martial arts technique you could learn through training and dedication. And that informed the writing a lot. Like, that Chiaotzu and Tenshinhan could hover and use telekinesis made them out to be two major badasses, even before they ever threw a punch. Or when when Krillin revealed that he thought himself how to fly. He didn't actually need to fight a villain or anything, simply the fact that he was able to teach himself such a complicated technique was more that enough to show that he was on level.

e X fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 14, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sharktamer posted:

How did that lovely last episode not even show what Fat Beerus is up to? He's the one thing in this dumb series that's different and by extension the only thing of any interest.

I rather they just burn through this poo poo as quickly as possible than have splashes of pointless new content in every episode

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

e X posted:

This is one of those things that make people say that Dragonball is all-round a better written story than DBZ. Pretty much all the stables, flying, ki beams, sensing energy, were introduced as a martial arts technique you could learn through training and dedication. And that informed the writing a lot. Like, that Chiaotzu and Tenshinhan could hover and use telekinesis made them out to be two major badasses, even before they ever threw a punch. Or when when Krillin revealed that he thought himself how to fly. He didn't actually need to fight a villain or anything, simply the fact that he was able to teach himself such a complicated technique was more that enough to show that he was on level.

Videl learned it in minutes with little prior ki training.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

e X posted:

None of that has to do with quality of writing tho. That is just power creep.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Covok posted:

I thought it took her multiple lessons with Gohan just to sense ki.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Covok posted:

Eh, It took her like a week to train to be able to manipulate and sense Ki.

And even then when she stopped training with Gohan she could only like hover IIRC. She spent the rest of the time leading up to the Tournament by herself training to actually have any mobility in the air.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Videl was a case of someone showing her what she didn't know she already had. The others had to pick it up on their own.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

e X posted:

Any point you might've made there was lost when you called Chiaotzu a major badass, to be honest.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

Any point you might've made there was lost when you called Chiaotzu a major badass, to be honest.

He was kind of cool when he first showed up honestly, or at least I thought so. Major badass? No.

Goku had no need to teach anyone else his techniques. He learned them himself, so why couldn't the others pull themselves up by their bootstraps and learn it themselves? King Kai probably dubbed the others unworthy of the kaioken (DBZA nailed this point pretty well). As for teaching them to help out in battles? Meh, Goku always had everything under control anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goku always had everything under control!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 14, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Don't forget the time he burned out his time on Earth and had to sit around on the god's planet a.k.a the sidelines.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I still think it's hilarious Goku's ultimate fate was to die of loving heart disease.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

HD DAD posted:

I still think it's hilarious Goku's ultimate fate was to die of loving heart disease.

The man love his bacon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

With how he eats, it wasn't a surprise to anyone. I wonder if this was meant as a joke by Toriyama.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

Don't forget the time he burned out his time on Earth and had to sit around on the god's planet a.k.a the sidelines.

Hey now, that time he tried to teach them but they're too stupid.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Only reason he taught anyone fusion was because it was impossible to do solo.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Goku cant teach anyone poo poo because hes an idiot and a terrible teacher and basically a prodigy. It comes naturally to him.

He can literally teleport instantaneously to anywhere in the galaxy and he hasnt taught anyone. Not even Whis, the strongest person in the universe, can teleport and Goku is too dumb to teach people.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tbf, Whis can probably find yadrat

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Baal posted:

Tbf, Whis can probably find yadrat

Yeah, but it would probably take him an hour to get there and do you think they have any food worth his time?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Covok posted:

With how he eats, it wasn't a surprise to anyone. I wonder if this was meant as a joke by Toriyama.

Wasn't it a heart "virus"?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

havenwaters posted:

The man love his bacon.

goku was at like 8% bodyfat, he was burning that poo poo off with his workouts :colbert:.

There's no way those arteries were clogged.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Goku always had everything under control!

Hmm goku's side still one all those battles

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

After people other than Goku fixed things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Because someone helped out in battle. :ssh:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

That's because if they didn't win, there would no longer be a show.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Farecoal posted:

Wasn't it a heart "virus"?

A heart virus accelerated by going Super saiyen.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
im still really pissed that cell was able to make cell jrs who were stronger than vegeta and trunks and about equal with goku

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Cell just did mitosis and in theory could make a double of himself.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

tbp posted:

im still really pissed that cell was able to make cell jrs who were stronger than vegeta and trunks and about equal with goku

I dunno if they were equal with Goku, he was pretty tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

With regards to the kaioken I thought it was actually super dangerous and Goku basically was killing himself using it, it's just that between the Saiyan zenkai poo poo and senzus/bacta tanks this was actually kind of a plus, not a minus? Whereas Krillin might me able to do Kaioken x2 and then try Kaioken x3 and immediately explode.

• Locked thread