Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Oh right. Nobody mentioned it here, but GingaAnon finished Ultraman Ginga S, so you can grab it all now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of things without subs, is OT going to sub the ToQ-7 film? (Not asking for an eta or anything, just if its happening or not :) )

Just read the latest OT post where this is answered!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guess who's coming to Blu-ray?

It's good ol' #1.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That should be interesting

Higher quality isn't always a great thing with these older shows. Kamen Rider Black, for instance, has some effects that look much worse on bluray than on DVD quality, and you can notice suit flubs much easier.

BUT considering how low budget the original series was, it can't look too much worse.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Cross Posting this from the Power Rangers thread- if no one wants to hear this, honestly just tell me to stop it and I won't share anymore.

I guess I should first start with where this came from.

The core story of Lightning Brigade is one of a group of youths who use alien technology to combat other worldly threats, even as that conflict begins to erode on their very humanity.

The Lightning Brigade is meant for older fans, but I fully expect anyone to really be able to pick it up. Some of the more disturbing themes and ideas will largely be lost on the younger crowd, who'd be drawn into the larger than life characters and villains- at least if I do my job right anyways. This whole thing started in 2004, when I was first getting back into Power Rangers- I had lost the show when it jumped from Fox to Disney with Wild Force and could never really get into Ninja Storm.

At the time I was remembering the older seasons and how much I loved them, how I'd love to do my own take on it. A more...for lack of a better term, 'realistic' take. After doing some work on it I realized that it really didn't match Power Rangers, or even a tone Power Rangers should strive for, so I decided to change it to something original. Thus Lightning Ronin was born! ...that name got changed as I got older.

A lot of things changed as I got older, mostly because I was an idiot then. Which is fine, we all are. The bones of the story that dumb 13 year old me came up with, though, are still there.

Now one thing I feel like I REALLY need to address is that 'realistic' thing. I do not mean that in a 'they're government soldiers who wear maybe colored arm bands and fight really boring aliens' kind of way.

What I mean by that is that I'm taking unrealistic things, and putting them into a realistic setting and seeing how things change. How would the world react to five young adults who have the power to wipe out cities and appear anywhere on Earth when ever they feel like? How would alien societies view them? What could have brought such things into existence? So I thought through these things, went into what I wanted to do with the armor, all that fun stuff.

The Earth is meant to resemble ours, just twisted by the events that have plagued it. Instead of a United Nations, there is an almost global governing force the Supreme United Nations, with their own military taskforce. (yes, the S.U.N. Taskforce) The villains, with one notable exception, are meant to be more human, understandable. They're not Evil, they have reasons for what they do, even if some are obscured.

On the flip side the villains are all colorful and varied, from pig demon butchers named Hatchet Hog, to Bee humanoid soldiers named Sophie the Stinger- the contrast is important to me. The balance is important. Keeping things sincere and straight forward, even in the face of admittedly ridiculous concepts, is key. That's one reason why I sought out David as the artist.

The heroes armor, for example, is meant to be actually quite bright and colorful. The current idea is that the armor will be comprised kind of like the Halo armor, only without the need of looking realistic. A body suit with armor plating on top. The body suit will be a chrome color of what that Brigadier is, (Red, Pink, Black, so on) while the armor on top of the body suit will be a darker shade (Maroon, Purple, B....lack. loving Jordan)

To fit with the realistic setting, there is a reason for the colors in universe. They each represent a different wavelength of energy that we visualize as a certain color. Red is Kinetic Force, Pink is Heat, Black is Explosive. Through that they have different physical abilities. Red has the strongest upper body, Pink is the middle ground, Black is the most durable.

To add to that fun, inspired by more recent Sentai, the Brigadier are able to swap their armor layers with one another- they retain the chrome colored body suit but get the different colored armor. So you could have black on pink, or purple on red.

And it's kind of a rabbit hole from there. I could likely spend pages talking about how I've defined the armor and all the bullshit related to it and how it affects them as people and all that. Instead I'll talk about three of the heroes and villains we're going to meet in Brigade to close this out. For note, literally all of the characters who will appear in battle have extended subtitles along with their normal names. These subtitles will likely never come up in the story proper, but...seriously that's one of my favorite goofy things about old school Sentai. Why wouldn't I try to emulate it?

Lightning Brigadier Black, Jordan Arnez- The leader by default, Jordan is the most detached from his humanity. Having possibly suffered the most of any of the team, he is the quickest to violence and conflict, often acting despite knowing the consequences- yet his inhuman devotion to stopping danger, almost twisted enjoyment of combat, and tackling alien threats is also what makes him the only one who fills the leader role.

Lightning Brigadier Pink, Anna Ferguson- Anna has had her armor longer than anyone else still alive, having joined a year before Jordan and Rick. By all right she should be the leader, a role she reluctantly takes up at times, but she is filled with self loathing and is generally bitter- detached from humanity, but not able to embrace her armor like Jordan has, which she views as the source of her troubles. This makes her unwilling to lead the team at first. She is the most driven to save others, as she refuses to let anyone end up like herself.

Lightning Brigadier Red, Rick Damon- Rick is the last of the original trio. He is bullheaded, brash, and cocky. He is also the middle ground compared to Anna and Jordan- where Anna has distanced herself too far and Jordan has immersed himself too much in their armors, Rick has obtained a kind of balance. This weird status quo isn't as good as it may appear on the surface, as he barely takes anything seriously, leading to him making mistakes, which he then laughs off. This coupled with him acting like a dumb rear end and often selfish concerns leads to many conflicts with the others. He does not have the issues of Jordan or Anna, but neither does he have their drive.

Scheming Parasitic Invader, The Bonethief - The Bonethief is the first agent sent by the Neo Damocles. He is a member of a nasty parasite species that could, with time, wipe out entire populations in favor of their own. They invade organic hosts, eradicate the organs in the chest cavity, and seize control of the nervous system and brain. There, they move their hosts as puppets, and generate a virus from the DNA to infect others and transform them into the Dead Risen, short lived plague zombies.

Solar Super Avian, Maximilian Pyre - The Pyre is a mystical firebird, a massive creature, that is brought to the Earth by outside forces. Normally dwelling within stars or super heated planets, the Pyre's very presence is a massive threat to the planet, regardless of if she is hostile or not. She is encountered in the antarctic by the Lightning Brigade in issue 2 and is the first giant foe they face.

Unrivaled Fighting Machine, Red Alone - A long inactive, ancient android built for a war that has long since ended. Red Alone is reactivated by the power of the Maximilian Pyre, and is a key to the origins of the Brigadier armor, hailing from the same war that forged them. He has a distinct knowledge of the team, and is compelled to continue his mission, even though it now seems so pointless. A dark mirror of what the heroes could become, and the first truly personal threat they must face.

So uh, that's...a lot of words about what I have planned and some brief character stuff.

Let me know what you all think. Good or bad.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Blaze Dragon posted:

I found this pretty interesting, since I didn't realize before, but someone on Tumblr pointed out that Ghost may be based on fireflies, and it makes sense.

Ooh ok, that makes a lot of sense actually. I like the design so that's cool.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So Linkara put out his summary of the Samurai series. I only mention it because a lot of people only really "watch" the series this way because gently caress actually watching Samurai.

It's worse than I thought, especially the way they wrote the female Shiba act. Not like "they changed it, that's why it was awful" but they wrote it in that there's no motivation for the male red to leave and the female Shiba is just a nice girl with no snarky rear end in a top hat attendant that would be a reason why everyone wants the male red back :psyduck:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Tae posted:

So Linkara put out his summary of the Samurai series. I only mention it because a lot of people only really "watch" the series this way because gently caress actually watching Samurai.

It's worse than I thought, especially the way they wrote the female Shiba act. Not like "they changed it, that's why it was awful" but they wrote it in that there's no motivation for the male red to leave and the female Shiba is just a nice girl with no snarky rear end in a top hat attendant that would be a reason why everyone wants the male red back :psyduck:

They could have changed her role and end up better than Shinkenger if they had her show up during the final fight instead of being sidelined. They shot some original footage for that battle anyway with the Battleizer, they could have squeezed her in. I still can't believe it took until Gokaiger for the payoff of two Shinken Reds fighting together.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Making the female Shiba the sister in Samurai also robbed us of the best moment, which was Takeru becoming the son of a woman he's probably older than.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I tried watching the last History of Power Rangers and couldn't stomach it, and haven't been able to since that one video he had a one hour rant calling people entitled babies because it took linkara 2 years to make an episode and oh my god he is so busy and important and we should all kiss his rear end because he is doing all of us such an enormous favor

Since the last 3 years I wonder if he's matured or gotten any better? 10 minutes in the answer remains "no"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flameingblack posted:

I tried watching the last History of Power Rangers and couldn't stomach it, and haven't been able to since that one video he had a one hour rant calling people entitled babies because it took linkara 2 years to make an episode and oh my god he is so busy and important and we should all kiss his rear end because he is doing all of us such an enormous favor

Since the last 3 years I wonder if he's matured or gotten any better? 10 minutes in the answer remains "no"

To be slightly fair, trust me, you weren't on the forum he frequents. People got just loving awful with asking about it and requesting it.

What he did in that one review, I forget which one, wasn't great either, but it didn't come from nowhere. Then again Rangerboard isn't a great place at the best of times.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My main problem with HOPR is that he dismisses the Sentai, and while I totally understand just not being into it, he proceeds to hold things against the series without examining the context of it being an adaption and how the show is molded by that(ie like with the suit designs).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

He doesn't hate Sentai if that's what you're implying, he points out things that don't make sense because a show SHOULDN'T require the audience to see the original footage/source to clarify things. "Oh, this is explained if you just watched the original Magiranger and see what they were going for" is the same thing as "Wow, this was written lovely on a fundamental level."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's not what I mean. I mean he criticizes stuff that just unavoidably comes with being an adaption and treats everything like personal decisions by the people making Power Rangers.

In general, I agree with Linkara's points, that specific thing just sticks out as bugging me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well when you start the entire franchise by creating your own thing and then lazily copy beat-by-beat in some series case, it's a legitimate point.

Like, there's no point other than either a huge boner for the sentai or lazyness to copy some scenes exactly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm thinking more like criticism of the costumes, weapons, things that couldn't be avoided short of making their own series from scratch. He points out how a lot of suckiness for Samurai comes from it being a direct translation of Shinkinger, and that's a valid complaint.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Time Force is one of the best and it's about as close to it's counterpart as any of these

And Samurai sucks because it's got rubbish casting, costumes, and writing. You can make a show that hems closely to the Japanese counterpart, or you can deviate wildly from it, but if you don't do a good job it'll belong in the trash either way

Another example of this is MMPR season 1 and 2. They're both pretty much totally disengaged from the Japanese show's setting, but the first season is good(ish... kind of... well, it's memorable) and the second one is rubbish.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 16, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The thing is, for a show called "history of Power Rangers" he gets into almost none of the actual history. Just reams of notes on plot points that I have a hard time believing people still care about. Way back in the day I was sold on the idea that he'd talk about show production, but then we got almost none of that. Worse, it became clear that he was an idiot who not only doesn't know but doesn't care about the series' actual behind the scenes history. I don't watch it anymore but wish someone would make a series about how and why things were adapted, actors got chosen, etc. That actually does exist for MMPR but none of the things that came after it.

Anyways, I lapsed in watching Nininger a few months ago and just managed to catch up. I have to say, I was impressed. The show managed to really come together and start fixing what problems it originally had. Especially in regards to actor quality.

Ghost's design looks neat, maybe I'll watch rider this year too.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Time Force is one of the best and it's about as close to it's counterpart as any of these

And Samurai sucks because it's got rubbish casting, costumes, and writing. You can make a show that hems closely to the Japanese counterpart, or you can deviate wildly from it, but if you don't do a good job it'll belong in the trash either way

Another example of this is MMPR season 1 and 2. They're both pretty much totally disengaged from the Japanese show's setting, but the first season is good(ish... kind of... well, it's memorable) and the second one is rubbish.

Also Wild Force and Time Force were both pretty much copies of the Sentai and were really good; RPM did something completely different from it's Sentai and was pretty good too.

directly translating a sentai is not an indicator of Power Ranger's Quality in anyway.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Stallion Cabana posted:

Also Wild Force and Time Force were both pretty much copies of the Sentai and were really good

Finally! I love Wild Force but I rarely see people who like it near as much as I do... :smith:

Stallion Cabana posted:

directly translating a sentai is not an indicator of Power Ranger's Quality in anyway.

There's a difference between adapting the plot and just changing the script to English, though. The latter isn't always a disaster, but Shinkinger had a lot to do with Japanese culture and social attitudes that doesn't carry over to the USA very well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Part of that is because they literally translated the script to English for the most part. They got the show back and in no time they were making a new series- that no time required no time to actually adapt anything. So it was the most direct copy paste job in the world.

I want Power Rangers to excel at being Power Rangers, myself. Lost Galaxy is a great indicator of what the show could be, though obviously hampered by behind the scenes nonsense. In Space as well. Time Force is ALSO a great example.

Power Rangers is good if it is good. The Sentai should have nothing to do with it. Similarly, the Sentai should stand on its own.

Even the early seasons are a great example....mind you season 2 got hosed in every single possible way short of the props all catching on fire and everyone dying in a plane crash.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

Part of that is because they literally translated the script to English for the most part. They got the show back and in no time they were making a new series- that no time required no time to actually adapt anything. So it was the most direct copy paste job in the world.

I'm just saying, regardless of the reason in this case being a direct translation did affect overall quality.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Time Force is an example of good adaptation. What they changed, it was changed that made sense in context.

Samurai changing the Shiba situation from one that was abusive and Takeru was forced to re-sign....to Lauren being nice to everyone and Jayden left because...he lied once (???) is bad adaptation, because it makes no sense on a fundamental level other than making the rangers assholes.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
God yes I loving loved Lost Galaxy.

I think Lost Galaxy also sold the whole '4 episodes left? Literally everything is going wrong and our villains are unstoppable, how are our heroes going to win' better then any other series of Power Rangers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't see a lot of love for Lost Galaxy either, though not as little for Wild Force. Lost Galaxy was the first Power Rangers I ever watched, had the opening episodes on VHS. The final battle at the end of the series was loving awesome.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lost Galaxy might have my favorite finale of any almost any Toku series.

If only because the final battle(s) were amazing. So often the final battles are just boring and pat and kind of anti climatic for whatever reason. Not Lost Galaxy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If you don't think Chase is the most adorable Kamen Rider ever I don't know what to tell you anymore.

Also watch Go troll Shinnosuke, but more than that, watch Chase and Eiji's interactions, because they're golden.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Lost Galaxy had one of the worst Battlelizers ever, but poo poo the way Leo used it in the final battle was epic and genius.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The best thing about History of Power Rangers is that it revealed Linkara can't identify Roman Numerals.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I don't see a lot of love for Lost Galaxy either, though not as little for Wild Force. Lost Galaxy was the first Power Rangers I ever watched, had the opening episodes on VHS. The final battle at the end of the series was loving awesome.

Really? I always see tons of praise for Lost Galaxy and In Space when the subject of Power Rangers shows up. It's even more interesting in the context of why it was rewritten as it was and started the trend that RPM continued of great series coming at the end of the contract with the company so the writers have carte blanche with regards to what they want to do.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Silver95280 posted:

Lost Galaxy had one of the worst Battlelizers ever, but poo poo the way Leo used it in the final battle was epic and genius.
Hah , yes. That thing looked so dumb, like even Andros's 12pack abs looked better.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Speaking of Linkara and Sentai, he also reviewed a couple of episodes of Zyuranger.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think my personal favorite older PR is probably Time Force, though that's mostly based on vaguely recalled memories.

I should rewatch Lost Galaxy at some point though. Had a Magna Defender toy growing up that I was very attached to.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Justin_Brett posted:

The best thing about History of Power Rangers is that it revealed Linkara can't identify Roman Numerals.

I thought the best part about it was securing what an insane goober he was.

Also been watching W and about to start on OOOs with a friend (I've watched both series previously but she'd never seen them) I was looking for opinons on the series afterwards, Fourze etc. And any good movies. Keep in mind that after the Begins Night section of Movie Core War 2010 she got extremely pissed (She's not a fan of Decade, the only part that got her smiling was that one character saying "Decade has no story") And her opinon on Kamen Rider W Forever was "It was alright."

But in short, if I could get any opinions on Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive and any of the movies between.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Onmi posted:

Also been watching W and about to start on OOOs with a friend (I've watched both series previously but she'd never seen them) I was looking for opinons on the series afterwards, Fourze etc. And any good movies. Keep in mind that after the Begins Night section of Movie Core War 2010 she got extremely pissed (She's not a fan of Decade, the only part that got her smiling was that one character saying "Decade has no story") And her opinon on Kamen Rider W Forever was "It was alright."

But in short, if I could get any opinions on Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive and any of the movies between.

Fourze is excellent fun, along the same lines as W. Gaim is a great Rider series, but not really on the same path as W/Fourze.

Wizard is bad.

And I haven't seen Drive past episode 3 or something, I think people like it, and I wanna watch it when I can.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Fourze, Gaim and Drive are all good to very good. Wizard is a hot mess, and I say that as one of the rare people to actually enjoy it.

Their associated movies are all alright, I guess? The OOO part of Movie War Core is one of my least favorite toku things ever though. Also they're all largely irrelevant to the plotline of their respective series other than the W movies.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Gaim was great for about 40-45 episodes and really screwed up sticking the landing.

Drive has been great so far, but we've still got ~10 episodes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Gaim was great for about 40-45 episodes and really screwed up sticking the landing.

Drive has been great so far, but we've still got ~10 episodes.

The Gaim Gaidens are good too. Watching Kaito acting like a doof is adorable. Also, Kaito's family is even more tragic than his father simply losing his factory. Albeit, it's a bit by the numbers.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 16, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Onmi posted:

Also been watching W and about to start on OOOs with a friend (I've watched both series previously but she'd never seen them) I was looking for opinons on the series afterwards, Fourze etc.
Most people in this thread will go around saying that Fourze was great but I disagree. I couldn't stand Gen for three fourths of the show, thought it was served incredibly poorly by the two episode format, hated the pacing problems (the villains take a LONG time to start doing stuff,) and disliked the Fourze suit and gadgets. Part of that was that I didn't watch enough KR in the past for Gen, at the time, to be a breath of fresh air after ten years of bland pretty boys. So if your gal pal has seen enough of this stuff she'll probably like him, if not who knows.

Wizard was total poo poo, feel free to skip it. It had a bland cast, no plot, and no less than four characters who you might absolutely hate.

Not having fun for two years in a row I decided to skip out on Gaim and Drive, so good luck there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Onmi posted:

Fourze is great, Gaim is good, Drive so far is really good.

Wizard made me lose hope.

• Locked thread