Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In the latest translated chapter of moonlight sculptor, the most amazingly improbable thing happened. Seo Yoon did something entertaining. I never expected such an event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
What is it with wuxia stuff and everyone vomiting blood all the time

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

coughing up your internal organs is v. manly

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I tried reading the legendary thief, the first work by the author of zang long. It is somehow worse than zang long. For one, the protagonist isn't a thief. For another, he is a horrible monster. The basic premise is that a madam and her girls decide to start playing a mmo as professional goldsellers along with their lackey. You would think that when most of the cast are prostitutes, they would be portrayed positively right? Nope. The lackey, whose position was lower than a pimp, makes it abundantly clear how much he looks down on them all the drat time. Rampant misogyny in lovely webnovels (chinese or otherwise) is nothing new, but it is baffling how the author went with this premise when the mc keeps on yammering on about how non-virgins are innately inferior and no one could ever have a relationship with one.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Thought I'd inform you that there's a new reincarnation web novel that's popular in town -- Tensei Shitara Slime datta Ken.

It starts out with a man in his 30s getting stabbed, dying, and being reincarnated as a Slime in a fantasy world. The story progresses as he evolves into something more and more powerful, gaining skills and allies, and eventually building his own nation of monsters.

Unusually mild for a Japanese web novel, but it has fun and excitement and provides a fairly fresh take on the genre without resorting to swelling harems.

English translations are available from here and seem to be getting released at a ridiculous pace -- currently at chapter 77 of the completed 250 (+gaiden stuff).

There's also a light novel version being published, so we might see an anime adaptation some day, since it doesn't have much in the way of sex (yet?).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So it's EVO: The search for Eden in Japanese YA Novel form? Sounds fun.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

ConanThe3rd posted:

So it's EVO: The search for Eden in Japanese YA Novel form? Sounds fun.

It's more like Re:Monster but without any creepiness.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

darkgray posted:

There's also a light novel version being published, so we might see an anime adaptation some day, since it doesn't have much in the way of sex (yet?).
The guy's default human form is specifically some sort of platonic ideal generic human that somewhat resembles the person he ate. It also lacks any genitals or even an anus since he's actually a slime, he lacks a sex drive for the same reason, he doesn't even have eyesight or a host of other senses when he's a slime. Everything he does is pretty much contrasted with one of the antagonists so far who happens to be a more typical reincarnation alt-world LN main character wrt the casual murder/sex and hilariously broken powers.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Recently blitzed through Destruction Flag Otome and found it highly amusing so I thought I'd plug it here. Another 'reincarnated into a game, as the villan' setting but it's set apart by a number of things; for one it's complete (well it's getting a light novelization so maybe more some day) but it has a complete and fully translated story as is. Also it's pretty drat funny, at least in my opinion, though the comedy pretty much all revolves around the main character being an idiot (toy snake subplot...) for a tiny synopsis basically the main character reincarnates as a villain in an otome game (one girl picks from a bunch of guys type game) and the story is about her struggle to avoid the titular destruction flags she vaguely remembers from the game. It can be a bit weird I guess with all the talk of engagements and whatnot between like, 10 year olds, but really the whole romance aspect pretty much completely sidelined for comedy.

So yea it's a good way to kill a couple hours.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Does the Legendary Moonlight Sculptor improve after a while? I'm quite far into volume 2 but it just feels like there's something missing. The main character reads like he was written by a rich kid's idea of what it would be to be poor. The entire game-world seems to conspire to make him overpowered but the author really wishes to give the impression that it's actually all from Weed's willpower and perseverance and not at all through sheer luck. Every seemingly dumb decision ends up being unquestioningly validated by the game. It feels like if he'd decide to stand on his head for 10 days straight the game would decide that that's amazing and make him God Emperor of the whole universe because of ~willpower~

That just doesn't feel very satisfying. Unlike for example 'Kumo desu ga', where the main character does get increasingly overpowered, but the amount of thought, consideration, and effort going into everything makes it feel so much more earned, and there's some actual tension because the enemies are a constant threat. New powers aren't just 'I hit faster/stronger', but involve a lot of tactics and make combat fun to read. And insane monster girl's inner monologue is surprisingly amusing and cute.

The same goes for a xianxia webnovel I've been reading called Xian Ni. The basic premise is similar to the others above (except that it's not in a game-world), with a powerless character growing up into a force to be reckoned with, largely through the help of world-defying powers and, yeah, perseverance, but the whole journey feels satisfying because the main character makes a smart effort to get stronger, actually develops as a person, and gets an appropriate amount of threats to deal with. It's hard to describe why I find this more satisfying than LMS, but a good example would be how the MC in LMS in volume 2 is described as having gained an insane amount of 'Fighting Spirit' stat, something like 4 times more than even the highest rare numbers, simply because he's amazing for having battled strong opponents. It's as if with every new mechanic that's introduced the basic starting point is 'MC is super-duper awesome', and the only artistic effort goes into describing how awesome exactly. That's starting to get old really fast because it's really predictable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Weed eventually starts actually achieving awesome poo poo (well, awesome for an mmo) instead of doing mundane stuff while the narration fellates him. But no, while LMS does get better (and then worse, and then better again, what with how absurdly long it is) it is always cheesy as hell.

As for Xian Ni, it gets bogged down for a long time with all of this meaningless babbling about cultivation that probably wouldn't make sense even if it was competently translated. I rather like I Shall Seal the Heavens by the same author, though. It is just dickbag immortals screwing each other over at every opportunity, but it is also occasionally kinda funny. Intentionally funny even, and not the usual wuxia webnovel silliness.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 14, 2015

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Fleve posted:

That just doesn't feel very satisfying. Unlike for example 'Kumo desu ga', where the main character does get increasingly overpowered, but the amount of thought, consideration, and effort going into everything makes it feel so much more earned, and there's some actual tension because the enemies are a constant threat. New powers aren't just 'I hit faster/stronger', but involve a lot of tactics and make combat fun to read. And insane monster girl's inner monologue is surprisingly amusing and cute.

Oh man I'm glad you mentioned Kumo Desu ga, Nani Ka it's loving great fun, doesn't get talked up nearly enough itt. The translation is kind of shoddy, but I don't feel like it hinders understanding too much, considering the content, and considering the crazy rate they're pumping it out it's understandable.

Can't comment on MLS or Xian Ni, I just can't seem to get into these Chinese LNs, especially the ones that already have like a million chapters up and translated...

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Sinking Ship posted:

Recently blitzed through Destruction Flag Otome and found it highly amusing so I thought I'd plug it here. Another 'reincarnated into a game, as the villan' setting but it's set apart by a number of things; for one it's complete (well it's getting a light novelization so maybe more some day) but it has a complete and fully translated story as is. Also it's pretty drat funny, at least in my opinion, though the comedy pretty much all revolves around the main character being an idiot (toy snake subplot...) for a tiny synopsis basically the main character reincarnates as a villain in an otome game (one girl picks from a bunch of guys type game) and the story is about her struggle to avoid the titular destruction flags she vaguely remembers from the game. It can be a bit weird I guess with all the talk of engagements and whatnot between like, 10 year olds, but really the whole romance aspect pretty much completely sidelined for comedy.

So yea it's a good way to kill a couple hours.

I'll second this recommendation, it's a super chill read that doesn't have any of the ridiculous drama of harems (though there is one) or super powered threats to the world. Just a girl trying to avoid a death flag from the game... and going about the most obtuse ways possible of achieving it.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Sinking Ship posted:

Oh man I'm glad you mentioned Kumo Desu ga, Nani Ka it's loving great fun, doesn't get talked up nearly enough itt. The translation is kind of shoddy, but I don't feel like it hinders understanding too much, considering the content, and considering the crazy rate they're pumping it out it's understandable.
The guy translating it doesn't have that good a grasp of Japanese or English, pretty sure he uses some form of machine translation and then edits it. The author also pumps out multiple chapters a day and there's a lot of foreshadowing just with how the story is structured. Even the prologue chapter has stuff that hints at where the story is going.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Algid posted:

The guy translating it doesn't have that good a grasp of Japanese or English, pretty sure he uses some form of machine translation and then edits it. The author also pumps out multiple chapters a day and there's a lot of foreshadowing just with how the story is structured. Even the prologue chapter has stuff that hints at where the story is going.

Yea I sort of feel like we might be missing important bits due to the quality of the translation but as long as it's just a spider running around doing spider things in a cave the gist of it get's across. It sort of falls apart in the side story bits where it's a barely understandable mess of poorly translated medieval politics or something which is a shame.

At least the spider doing spider things bits are fun to read.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Weed eventually starts actually achieving awesome poo poo (well, awesome for an mmo) instead of doing mundane stuff while the narration fellates him. But no, while LMS does get better (and then worse, and then better again, what with how absurdly long it is) it is always cheesy as hell.

As for Xian Ni, it gets bogged down for a long time with all of this meaningless babbling about cultivation that probably wouldn't make sense even if it was competently translated. I rather like I Shall Seal the Heavens by the same author, though. It is just dickbag immortals screwing each other over at every opportunity, but it is also occasionally kinda funny. Intentionally funny even, and not the usual wuxia webnovel silliness.

Cool, I think I'll keep on reading. Partly I'm just a sucker for level-up stories, but the greater story of the sculptor seems intriguing enough as well.

And yeah, Xian Ni could've done away with most of the mystical cultivation stuff which sadly fills up a whole lot of chapters. But I like that there's almost zero romance in the chapters translated so far, and the pay-off with him finally turning into an utter murderous dick, cause the world he's in is a hella poo poo place, was very satisfying. Judging from your description of that other novel, the author is probably at his best when it's just immortals being assholes all around.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, ISSTH starts with the protagonists entry into an immortal sect. Instead of the usual prestigious admissions process, that sect just abducts people at random to pad out their numbers. It gets weirder from there, what with all the butt explosions.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Butt explosions, anthromorphic lakes and giant death turtles. ISSTH is pretty great.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
All the stuff currently being translated on wuxiaworld is pretty good. ISSTH, BTTH, MGA and ATG are all great . Coiling Dragon is a bit more eh, but after 20 volumes, I'm suffering from a severe sunk cost compulsion to read it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Sinking Ship posted:

Yea I sort of feel like we might be missing important bits due to the quality of the translation but as long as it's just a spider running around doing spider things in a cave the gist of it get's across. It sort of falls apart in the side story bits where it's a barely understandable mess of poorly translated medieval politics or something which is a shame.

At least the spider doing spider things bits are fun to read.

Yeah, I've been tempted to go through and edit the translations into more coherent english, but I feel like the fact that I don't understand japanese at all would just be adding further separation from the source material.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You know, it's actually one of the best translations out there when you realize the person doing it doesn't understand the original or the target language very well. That's quite the handicap to overcome to reach "Readable, makes sense and tells a story that is probably closely related to the actual story".

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
It's incredibly confusing to me how someone who speaks neither Japanese nor English fluently ends up translating JP > EN as a hobby. I mean I'm grateful it just seems weird as hell... or is that just me?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It's actually halfway readable if you just dump it into google translate. It is why he frequently ends up with terms and phrases people help him fix in the comments.

edit: For example I just read 101 via google translate, it's hilarious, she accidentally sets herself on fire and then paralysis herself trying to put out the fire with poison (while still on fire) because all her attention was focused on what just happened, then she's saved by patience activating and her now enormous MP from Wisdom.

Algid fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 14, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

All the stuff currently being translated on wuxiaworld is pretty good. ISSTH, BTTH, MGA and ATG are all great . Coiling Dragon is a bit more eh, but after 20 volumes, I'm suffering from a severe sunk cost compulsion to read it.

Well, I have to disagree about MGA. The protagonist is a vicious sociopath and a rapist.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Well, I have to disagree about MGA. The protagonist is a vicious sociopath and a rapist.

Yes. Yes, he is.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Finished up the main story of Musoku Tensei.. got Raising Arizona flashbacks at the end.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Anyone else reading Overlord every Saturday? That twist regarding Albedo's characterization at the end of today's chapter caught me by surprise. Also just a generally good chapter all around, feels like the author is setting up all sorts of tension in-between the various residents of Nazarick, will be cool to see how it all plays out.

E: oh link I guess...

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Considering her creator is a big fan of horror I'd be more suprised if she wasn't a danger to everyone around her. :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Albedo was specifically set to love Momonga. So, she might not give a drat about the old guild any more, much less Ains' attempts at spreading its name. Remember, he burned the Momonga banner when he changed his name.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Albedo was specifically set to love Momonga. So, she might not give a drat about the old guild any more, much less Ains' attempts at spreading its name. Remember, he burned the Momonga banner when he changed his name.

Yea, that's clearly the take away. Though I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to think love for Momonga would extend to supporting his endeavors but we gotta have that sweet infighting to pad out the volumes.

e: though honestly it'll be cool if we get something other than stupid sex jokes out of the Albedo segments, so, net gain?

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 15, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Sinking Ship posted:

e: though honestly it'll be cool if we get something other than stupid sex jokes out of the Albedo segments, so, net gain?

I don't know about the later LNs, but she's an LN-original character so don't get your hopes up. Apparently Demiurge was the original leader of the guardians, which is why he's the one going off to do volume 6 stuff.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Given that the translator is already just using a machine translator, and that people have been talking about the translation being rough anyways, I tried tidying up the english on the first two chapters of Kumo Desu Ga.

Chapter 1: Prologue
Chapter 2: Looks Like I'm A Monster

There's definitely still some weirdness in there, but I at least hope it's somewhat better. Does anyone want more of these, or should I just not bother?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
New chapter of Overlord again. The cliff hanger is real. Demiurge is such a badass :allears:
Gonna be Shalltear and Brain round 2 I'll bet. Actually lotta powerful people gonna get wrecked in general I imagine, can't wait to see how it plays out. Also finally a competent floor master in charge of a large scale operation, maybe we'll finally get to see The Great Tomb's competent side.

Also they released the entire second drama CD which is like an hour and a half long so I haven't got through it yet but that's cool right? And they were saying maybe they'll release another chapter today, not sure how that will play out though, would be cool though!

e: chapter 8 out too

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 22, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I finished reading the translated stuff of ISSTH up on wuxiaworld and that's a drat nice novel, thanks for the recommendation. The first volume actually read a lot like a proper, thick book, with a proper epic climax, finishing off an already fun read of butt-explosions and constant dickbaggery. For some reason, the MC screwing everyone over twice as hard after others were dicks to him just doesn't get old.

And I love that the protagonist from 'Kumo desu ga' seems to currently be turning into some kind of discoball of evil eyes, engulfing everything in a jumble of negative status effects just by passing through. She's such a cute little ball of death and destruction. The first human she meets will probably be accidentally set on fire, doused with poison, halfway petrified, and turned into goop, while all the voices in her head apologize profusely, and she'll then eat it anyway because why waste meat, and how does human actually taste anyway?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I read through Volume 5 of Only Sense Online. It's really relaxing and laid back, even though the VRMMO is basically EVE Online in a fantasy setting. The emphasis on crafting, discovering game mechanics, and playing it your own way is fun. I like all of the characters, even though they aren't very developed or complex.

I think the story could be rewritten to remove the gender swapping aspect and not lose much. It might be a clumsy attempt to comment on gender roles and perceptions though? It's interesting that the male MC takes on most of the housekeeping work and is the responsible one at school. It's also nice that he has realistic relationships with his sisters.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Spider LN is great because the MC is proactively going insane with the multiple personalities and eroding morality. You just can't help but cheer the deathball-murder arachnid on as she curses, poisons, webs up, and eats her way back to the surface. The side-stories are also great, since we see that you don't need to be stuck in the MC's environment to go absolutely nuts, and the stuff they hint at there makes you anticipate the next installation that much more.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Kumo desu Ga is great.

I love how the spider-girl is speaking to her appraisal skill out of a lack of social interaction in the early chapters, since it is the only other thing to 'communicate' with her.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, that's another lovely wuxia wn dropped. Long Live Summons had terrible writing, the story and setting were all over the place, and the protagonist was an arrogant little poo poo. Still, for killing time I've read worse things and will continue to read worse things. But abusing a dog? There was just a chapter dedicated to this rear end in a top hat beating up a dog that never harmed him in any way. I can't handle that crap.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The multiple personalities in charge of different things has me imagining a bunch of tiny spiders piloting a larger spider, Star Trek-style. Her 5-year mission to explore strange new caves, to seek out new life and eat it, to boldly go where no spider has gone before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I really like how Kumo Desu Ga has been doing a lot of flirting with really lovely genre conventions and then completely turning them on their head. There are a lot of pretty overt references to other, much worse reincarnation novels that it refuses to fall into the same pitfalls as.

• Locked thread