Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Locator posted:

I'm not sure why the Highway Patrol doesn't just set up shop on the HOV (carpool) lane on I-10 every morning. They'd make friggen bank, I swear that every 3rd car is just some person driving along by themselves in that lane, and I understand the fines for doing that are pretty steep. It would have the double effect of big revenue, and making me giggle.

Cause most of them have cameras. Out here in CO the HOV lanes either scan your tag or send you a bill in the mail from taking shots of your plate. Which leads to douches driving with no plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

veedubfreak posted:

Yep, there are 2 Aurora bike cops out here that used to -always- sit at the same place. Then the speed limit went from 55 to 65 and low and behold they no longer hang out there. Now they hang out where it's still 55 but if you aren't paying attention you pull over after the FINES DOUBLE BECAUSE WE SAY SO sign. God I hate traffic cops. If you want to be a revenue collector, why not just go work for the IRS?

You get to ride bikes, have a gun, never get a ticket yourself, and get a pretty sweet pension.
I shoulda been a cop.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

veedubfreak posted:

Cause most of them have cameras. Out here in CO the HOV lanes either scan your tag or send you a bill in the mail from taking shots of your plate. Which leads to douches driving with no plates.

They don't have that going here in AZ, so people just freely use that lane because they are 'special', and the chances of getting pulled over and ticketed seem to be pretty slim. I won't do it anyway, because I'd of course immediately get pulled over and written up, because that's how my luck goes with traffic violations.

nm posted:

You get to ride bikes, have a gun, never get a ticket yourself, and get a pretty sweet pension.
I shoulda been a cop.

Yea, the whole 'immunity to tickets' thing really irritates me. I have a friend who is border patrol that regularly abuses the hell out of this, and he finds it amusing. I found it pretty funny when he was ranting on FB about the 'dick' CHP officer that wrote him a ticket for going 15 over, when in reality he was doing triple-digits on a 2-lane with a 55 limit.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

And now you can just switch your transponder to HOV and not get charged at all!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ What was that supposed to be, some kind of honor system? If so then someone in your traffic department doesn't understand human nature very well.

The Locator posted:

I'm not sure why the Highway Patrol doesn't just set up shop on the HOV (carpool) lane on I-10 every morning. They'd make friggen bank, I swear that every 3rd car is just some person driving along by themselves in that lane, and I understand the fines for doing that are pretty steep. It would have the double effect of big revenue, and making me giggle.

Every once in a while Richardson in North Texas will have a week where they just stack cop cars along the HOV going through their city and nail people all day long. The only reason I can imagine they don't do it all the time is that there are SO MANY shitheads doing it that it backs up traffic on the whole freeway, I guess from them kicking people out of that lane after they cite them. The delay would almost be worth it to me if it meant a steady stream of schadenfreude to start each day :getin:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I always get a kick out of the assholes getting pulled over using the HOV cheater lane entrance by where I work. Every couple weeks a cop will just stand out there and pull people over that think their Jag or X3 is too fancy to sit in line.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Noticed something strange with my B40 A118, its only been recording segments a minute long and is missing huge gaps in footage. The strange thing is this has only happened on two occasions and both were at night time.

Going to reformat the memory card and shut off the G sensor and see if that fixes it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Clip from my commute this morning, with completely inappropriate music dubbed over because pretty much nothing happens. Just odd to see a truck that Nissan has already pulled the wraps on, still partly camoflaged for what must be some form of emissions testing or something (it had some sort of sensor zip-tied to the exhaust pipe).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdGxG3cPJGE

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^ What was that supposed to be, some kind of honor system? If so then someone in your traffic department doesn't understand human nature very well.

Apparently. The transponder has a switch that allows you to use the "express lanes" for free if you have the right amount of people in the car, but you have to switch it over so you don't get charged. Otherwise you can use the lanes as a single driver but pay for the privilege. The lanes just opened here, so not sure how they are going to enforce it?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Wiggly posted:

Apparently. The transponder has a switch that allows you to use the "express lanes" for free if you have the right amount of people in the car, but you have to switch it over so you don't get charged. Otherwise you can use the lanes as a single driver but pay for the privilege. The lanes just opened here, so not sure how they are going to enforce it?

You clearly didn't notice the cameras they installed....

thepaladin4488
Oct 28, 2010
Had seen this guy earlier driving like a dickhead, so I rang the police non-emergency report a bad driver hotline thing. (nothing usually happens, but it makes me feel better anyway)
He was going the same way I was, and seemed to take offence to me doing so.
Then he decided he was going to stop in the middle of the road, to get out and try and get me to fight him :jerkbag:
Unfortunately for him, doing that escalated the police responce from "Oh we put a job out, but no one is available atm", to "The police are on their way, can you keep him in sight and see where he goes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUHpBSxnB_k
Simply a oval office.

And some older vids of pro NZ driving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DEwudKlU3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK7fzdoGZ8Y

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Did the cops catch him?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I was always worried about my old cam getting stolen so I removed it most of the time and it broke quickly (mini USB connector on the 0801 - looks like the 0806 has micro usb which is made for being removed constantly, but it costs way too much) . Installed the new one 2 days ago and I'm quite pleased with the results, wires are completely invisible until they reach the lighter adapter.

Love the easy to use buttons and large screen on the "itracker stealthcam".

There's so much going on on that windshield it looks like it's just a fifth sensor from the outside. At least that's what I hope.

I'll post videos when something interesting happens. Shouldn't be long.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What model is that?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Went to get some video off my mobius of me nearly killing a cyclist that ran a red, found that everything on the memory card was corrupted despite no outward indication from the LEDs. Installed the newest firmware, will see what happens. It's been a few months since I last checked it, so no idea how long it had been funky.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I had the same thing, and it turned out to be a bad USB cable. Try swapping yours our before you dump a lot of money on the problem.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Earlier this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybJguWdGiUQ

After he dissapears behind that substation he comes rocketing back through a car-space and nearly side-swipes me. Then he stops in the access road and has a chat with someone and then parks in the exit to the car park :psyduck: I was dumb so I asked him what his story was and he stopped the motor and threatened to bash me. So now I guess we'll never know.

Later that morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP2eXS_v_88

This gave me a scare but is 100% me being insufficiently attentive.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I need to know if I'm the dick. I waited in the proper lane to get into the left turn lane for 11 minutes. Lexus dude wants to skip ahead of everyone and try to come in in front of me. I don't let him. Tell me how much of a jerk I am!

NSFW because bad words!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vArk_Sr8aTM

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PenisMonkey posted:

Tell me how much of a jerk I am!

Nope... gently caress people who can't plan far enough ahead to figure out where a turn lane starts, they can go past the turn and come back. There is a reason the line on the street at that point is solid.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

The Locator posted:

Nope... gently caress people who can't plan far enough ahead to figure out where a turn lane starts, they can go past the turn and come back. There is a reason the line on the street at that point is solid.

He knew where it started but didn't want to wait in line like everyone else. People like him make those who do wait in line wait even longer. gently caress'em.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Cartoon posted:

Earlier this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybJguWdGiUQ

After he dissapears behind that substation he comes rocketing back through a car-space and nearly side-swipes me. Then he stops in the access road and has a chat with someone and then parks in the exit to the car park :psyduck: I was dumb so I asked him what his story was and he stopped the motor and threatened to bash me. So now I guess we'll never know.

Later that morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP2eXS_v_88

This gave me a scare but is 100% me being insufficiently attentive.

Stop listening to talkback radio, it's clearly putting you to sleep behind the wheel.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
T-T-T-Triple Kill :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBFZ0pLcVno

The First, in which a dude tries to turn into 50mph freeway feeder traffic. At least this one sees the error of his ways and adjusts.

The Second, in which a *complete* cocksucker blows past me at 80mph on a vanishing shoulder, then adds insult by crossing a double solid line. People who cross double solid lines should be put into camps.

The Third, in which someone doesn't know how right of way works.

All this just getting to/from the grocery store after work last night. Other people are gonna get us all killed :(

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Cartoon posted:

Earlier this morning:

There's EAs still running on the roads?
Most ELs are scrap value now, why would anyone be driving a EA?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 18, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
No-one posted this yet?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33980186

(can't embed)

Reason no 1 for buying a dashcam if you own an Aston Martin.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

spog posted:

No-one posted this yet?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33980186

(can't embed)

Reason no 1 for buying a dashcam if you own an Aston Martin.

I saw the video but I didn't know he'd been arrested.

loving good. Why would you do that to some random person's car, whether it's an Aston Martin or not?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Jealousy, pure and simple.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

PT6A posted:

loving good. Why would you do that to some random person's car, whether it's an Aston Martin or not?

Because it has an ugly-rear end dashboard, judging by the footage.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

T-T-T-Triple Kill :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBFZ0pLcVno

The First, in which a dude tries to turn into 50mph freeway feeder traffic. At least this one sees the error of his ways and adjusts.

The Second, in which a *complete* cocksucker blows past me at 80mph on a vanishing shoulder, then adds insult by crossing a double solid line. People who cross double solid lines should be put into camps.

The Third, in which someone doesn't know how right of way works.

All this just getting to/from the grocery store after work last night. Other people are gonna get us all killed :(

2nd guy is out of his mind.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

The Locator posted:

They don't have that going here in AZ, so people just freely use that lane because they are 'special', and the chances of getting pulled over and ticketed seem to be pretty slim. I won't do it anyway, because I'd of course immediately get pulled over and written up, because that's how my luck goes with traffic violations.

I ducked into the HOV lane to pass a 3 lane wide Rolling Blockade, and a cop materialized out of nowhere right behind me. I got hit with the double whammy, HOV + Speeding.The HOV fine was like 700 bucks, had to use my Defensive Driving class on that part. To be fair, I don't use the HOV lane anymore, so I guess lesson learned?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PT6A posted:

Nine thousand of those English pound things in damage. Holy crap, that's serious Felony level criminal damage here. Guy loving deserves to go to jail for that poo poo though, glad they arrested his stupid rear end.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
My dad is looking for a dashcam for his car (in the UK). Could anyone recommend any of the brands/models sold here as worth looking at (or avoiding)?
http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams-parking-sensors/dash-cams
Alternatively if you know of any other retailers that sell good models (ideally with a fitting service) I'd be interested in your suggestions for those too. Thanks!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Deanut Pancer posted:

My dad is looking for a dashcam for his car (in the UK). Could anyone recommend any of the brands/models sold here as worth looking at (or avoiding)?
Alternatively if you know of any other retailers that sell good models (ideally with a fitting service) I'd be interested in your suggestions for those too. Thanks!

Buy a mobius from ebay and fit it yourself.

Save the money for your inheritance.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Locator posted:

Nine thousand of those English pound things in damage. Holy crap, that's serious Felony level criminal damage here. Guy loving deserves to go to jail for that poo poo though, glad they arrested his stupid rear end.

Loved how he did it while pushing a baby stroller! Father of the year!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

BraveUlysses posted:

Loved how he did it while pushing a baby stroller! Father of the year!

Cut the guy some slack. Has anyone considered the Aston driver ran a red light almost killing the baby as the dad pushed the stroller along a crosswalk then immediately parked and left his car and the dad happened to stroll by and recognize it? Okay that does sound a little far-flung.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Deanut Pancer posted:

The mobius is 60 quid on amazon uk.

You will also need a usb cable of appropriate length to reach a power source, a mount, and sd card.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Speaking of the mobius, the problems with mine have been resolved.

`Nemesis posted:

Went to get some video off my mobius of me nearly killing a cyclist that ran a red, found that everything on the memory card was corrupted despite no outward indication from the LEDs. Installed the newest firmware, will see what happens. It's been a few months since I last checked it, so no idea how long it had been funky.

I checked the next day to see if it was recording, and nope, just another solitary corrupted video file. Took it out of the car and used a different usb cable to connect it to my laptop, and then tried to format the sd card with windows. The format kept failing. Took the SD card out of the mobius and put it in an adapter and stuck it direct into the laptop, and it formatted without issues.

Tried some battery only recording and kept getting corrupt files. Took the SD card out of my G1W that I use as my rear cam, deleted everything off of it, stuck it in the mobius, and got proper recorded video.

Took the SD card that was originally in the Mobius, copied a good video to it... and can't play it! Got a 3 month old junk Sandisk memory card, awesome.

So it's worth keeping an eye on these things as they don't give a good indicator if the memory card has let the magic smoke out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Where'd you get the SD card from? I've seen a lot of really good-looking counterfeits on eBay.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Where'd you get the SD card from? I've seen a lot of really good-looking counterfeits on eBay.

When I got my Mobius, I ordered the card at the same time. Figured that even though it's not a premium brand, it should be guaranteed to work as they'll make sure it does.

I buy all my cards/flashdrives from Amazon. Prices tend to be the same as ebay (if not cheaper) and if they come direct from Sandisk, they'll be legit. I assume that any I find on ebay are going to be hooky.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
I've seen posts on dashcamtalk (some from actual manufacturers) that recommend against using SanDisk cards in dashcams. Something about how their controller chipset is different from other brands which some cameras have problems with and also how if they get one bad sector they can set the entire card to write protect mode rendering it useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the upside, SanDisk provides a 5 year warranty on their SD cards and their customer support is good in the sense they won't hassle you about the problem. You call 'em up, get your RMA, then wait for the new one to be mailed.

SanDisk is the de-facto standard for DSLR's these days, obviously a dash cam has to deal with more temperature swings so maybe that's where the issues come from but they do make a good product.