Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

While they are not cutscenes, you can effect pretty large scale change on the game world. I hear you on the lack of certain character epilogues though.

The Baron of Velen questline was really good, but there didn't seem to be any point like the Witcher 2 where the story branches into two entirely different paths. Maybe that happened more naturally in W3, but it also felt like there was really only one path through the story. I'd probably need to play again to see if the path significantly diverges though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

The Baron of Velen questline was really good, but there didn't seem to be any point like the Witcher 2 where the story branches into two entirely different paths. Maybe that happened more naturally in W3, but it also felt like there was really only one path through the story. I'd probably need to play again to see if the path significantly diverges though.

The main questline is utterly unaffected by anything--it's far, far more linear than W2 in that regards. That said, the overall state of the world is dramatically affected by a few quests, but it's less obvious to you while playing.

The Baron is ultimately a tiny player in the grand scheme, and how things play out there affect very few people overall.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah there is no story split. You can affect the ending but you can't get a completely different act 2 like in TW2.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ah i see what you mean, yeah they they decided to go with a more liner storyline, but the choices you make do feel very impactful, at least to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
A bunch of content that you have to replay a bunch of other content to see is kind of annoying to me - it's fine for small stuff, but a huge chunk of witcher 2 required a complete replay. It means most people are only going to see like, 75% of your game. I like the big decisions mostly being questline-scale instead of game-act scale.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just keep a save right before the decision

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Right, I did that, but even then there was a lot of overlap, such that I was pretty burned out. I started a Iorveth path run right after finishing W2 and didn't have it in me to keep going, whereas I would have greatly preferred to have learned more about Iorveth and Saskia on Roche's path instead. I'll go back someday but that's my story.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Manatee Cannon posted:

Not so great for us PS4 plebs who only get like 10 save slots for ~reasons~.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Witcher 2 isn't a PS4 game so that doesn't matter

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

The Crones did nothing wrong, those kids were gonna starve to death anyway. Truth be told, I was a little surprised when you meet The Crones for the second time. Ciri wants revenge on Imlerith and you travel for what seems like days to get to Bald Mountain. When you get there, you're both suddenly like "let's kill The Crones, too". And to boot, Ciri ends up fighting them instead of Imlerith. Like, wasn't the whole reason you went there for her to avenge Vesemir's death herself?. The Crones aren't particularly nice, and I guess they were about to do bad things to Ciri. But it seems they really do protect the land. And they give people magic acorns! All in exchange for a few paltry body parts.

Aye, primeval pagan magic was no joke.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is there any difference if you release the tree demon on the Crones second encounter? Like is there more dialogue or are they not there or anything?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is there any difference if you release the tree demon on the Crones second encounter? Like is there more dialogue or are they not there or anything?

yes its a major story change

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Skelligers are huge barbaric assholes that burn women to death on their husbands' funeral pyres and force people to commit suicide over trifles.

No group of people in this setting is remotely good. Only individuals are good.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I just finished the game last night, and I was kind of disappointed in the ending.
It seems to just end abruptly, and a bunch of characters don't really get mentioned at the end. And a lot of the choices I made didn't seem to have much effect on the outcome.

For example:
Because of my choices, Geralt went to Kovir with Triss, but Yennefer gets no mention at all. If you romance Yennefer instead, Triss would get no mention.

If you do (or don't do) the quest to kill Radovid, the outcome of that only gets a brief mention in the epilogue and all you get is a little voiceover of one of those comic book panel things.

My impression is that either my choices didn't really matter or that the story changed along with them so naturally that I didn't notice.

Yeah the end sequence needs more polish. Geralt and Ciri's stuff is done perfectly but there's barely any send off for a ton of characters. Like Zoltan, Dandelion, etc. And hell, Yennefer doesn't really get anything but an ending slide in anything but the Empress ending, and she's a major character.

I feel like Triss got a good enough send off at the docks in Novigrad so anything else is just bonus.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 14, 2015

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The Sharmat posted:

The Skelligers are huge barbaric assholes that burn women to death on their husbands' funeral pyres and force people to commit suicide over trifles.

"You don't have to do this, child!" - Ermion
"No... but I want to" - Bran's daughter(?)

Yeah those Skelligers, forcing their women to kill themselves.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There's no such thing as peer pressure or cultural expectations on Skellige,and that is the only time a woman ever immolated herself.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
She probably just wanted to die rather than hang out with her horrible mother.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Wasn't her mother. That girl was one of Bran's younger wives. Birna was his oldest and the mother of his heir.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The Sharmat posted:

There's no such thing as peer pressure or cultural expectations on Skellige,and that is the only time a woman ever immolated herself.

Or, on the other hand, they believe they are joining their husband/whatever in the afterlife. Sorry, I'm just having trouble condemning an ancient religous/belief system that I can't possibly relate to, but nonetheless seems to receive near universal buy in from the islanders, sans Bran's wife who turns out to be such a nice person.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Wasn't her mother. That girl was one of Bran's younger wives. Birna was his oldest and the mother of his heir.

That's even worse.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Ice Fist posted:

Or, on the other hand, they believe they are joining their husband/whatever in the afterlife. Sorry, I'm just having trouble condemning an ancient religous/belief system that I can't possibly relate to, but nonetheless seems to receive near universal buy in from the islanders, sans Bran's wife who turns out to be such a nice person.

Their culture and ancient religious belief system is objectively poo poo.

Snak posted:

That's even worse.

Eh polygamy doesn't even get on the radar as a horrible thing in skelliger culture compared to the slavery, widespread murder and reaving, wife immolation, forced honor suicides, etc etc for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Eh polygamy doesn't even get on the radar as a horrible thing in skelliger culture compared to the slavery, widespread murder and reaving, wife immolation, forced honor suicides, etc etc for me.

No I meant if I were one of Bran's younger wives and he died I would rather kill myself than deal with his head bitchy wife.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh I get you.

King's Gambit spoilers: Still as bad as Birna is, chained to a rock to die of exposure and thirst seems a bit harsh. Why not just cut her head off? And why exile her son when he's the one that exposes her?

The theory I put forth to answer those questions? Skelligers are barbaric assholes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

(King's Gambit)Her son is not even that bad a king, but he does away with the, uhh, jarl congress.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 14, 2015

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Solice Kirsk posted:

I found the tree before I ever found the crones and released it, I would tell you what happened in spoilers but I don't know what happens if you kill the tree so its hard to figure out a point of reference to spoil it haha.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

(King's Gambit)Her son is even that bad a king, but he does away with the, uhh, jarl congress.

Yeah from youtubing it Svanrigge actually seems like a cool dude with the makings of a great king. Though getting rid of elective monarchy kind of annoys me. So Cerys all the way. Maybe in 300 years the constitutional monarchy of Skellige will actually be the only decent place in the Witcher setting and ahahahaha no I can't finish.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

And I'm sure the ancient Vikings would think your culture is objectively poo poo too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

yeah and look where it got them?

(viking history)they died

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Ludwig van Halen posted:

And I'm sure the ancient Vikings would think your culture is objectively poo poo too.

They would, the difference is they're wrong and I'm right.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

:rolleyes:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The ancient vikings have much to teach us

- a modern progressive goon posting in the 21st century

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Goddamn, that place of power on the north skellige isle that gives you a "Trial of Dexterity completion token" was a pain in the rear end to get to. I was just there to get my griffin diagrams and "Oh hey a nearby question mark".

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I found that by accident too. What is the trial of dexterity thing supposed to do?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah from youtubing it Svanrigge actually seems like a cool dude with the makings of a great king. Though getting rid of elective monarchy kind of annoys me. So Cerys all the way. Maybe in 300 years the constitutional monarchy of Skellige will actually be the only decent place in the Witcher setting and ahahahaha no I can't finish.

While I definitely think Cerys being ruler of Skellige is the good ending, the closing narration of the game implies that her benevolent rule weaken Skellige militarily. So I'm sure what'll happen is that mainstream Skellige culture becomes less lovely just in time for them to get steamrolled by NIlfgaard and wiped out.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I'm not at all disagreeing with anything you're saying. Thanks to hundreds of years of progress we get to sit on a high horse and say 'THOSE loving BARBARIAN ASSHOLES' when they chain someone who paid to have all the other candidates for king murdered to a rock to starve to death. But really I'm just pointing out that your comments are completely absurd in the sense that you might as well call a room full of kindergartners a "bunch of barbarian assholes" for not understanding calculus. We're basically talking about functional children in how progressed they are as a civilization, and I'm not talking about just the Skelligers, but all of the civilizations in this game.

The Sharmat posted:

The ancient vikings have much to teach us

- a modern progressive goon posting in the 21st century

Now you're just an rear end in a top hat missing the point entirely.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Skelligers have contact with all kinds of neighboring civilizations that, while awful in their own ways, still think they're barbaric assholes and would probably tell them to stop doing that kind of poo poo.

But yeah I feel comfortable calling all the civilizations in this setting assholes. It's not like no one in the setting does the same thing, anyway.

Edit: I feel compelled to point out that my initial comments were in response to people on the previous page saying that Skellige was the only not poo poo place in the setting.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 14, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, most of the cultures Skellige has contact with, that contact is "They raided them". It's not surprising that everyone thinks they're barbarians.

edit: Skellige is definitively a poo poo place, just like everywhere else.

I actually think Velen wouldn't be a bad place to live if it weren't a warzone.

Living in Nilfgaard as a full citizen is probably the best.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

The Skelligers have contact with all kinds of neighboring civilizations that, while awful in their own ways, still think they're barbaric assholes and would probably tell them to stop doing that kind of poo poo.

And it's incredibly ironic that they do so considering that they're all running around killing each other, executing each other in ways as equally barbarous as the Skelligers. The only thing that distinguishes them is they do these things in nicer clothes.

The Sharmat posted:

Edit: I feel compelled to point out that my initial comments were in response to people on the previous page saying that Skellige was the only not poo poo place in the setting.

I said that in comparison to the other options - while at the same time calling all of them turds. It was a matter of picking the one that stunk the least.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 14, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Actually they're awful in different ways, that I've pointed out.

Edit: Pre-Thanedd Northern Realms is the best place in the setting. Or maybe right now, Kovir.

We don't know enough about Zerrikania to take them in or out of the running, either.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

But they're still awful. Trying to distinguish between burning someone at the stake where a crowd can gather and watch and cheer and chaining someone to a rock so we can decide which is more barbaric is not really straight forward.

The Sharmat posted:

Edit: Pre-Thanedd Northern Realms is the best place in the setting. Or maybe right now, Kovir.

We don't know enough about Zerrikania to take them in or out of the running, either.

But we don't KNOW that. None of these places are in the game we're discussing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The difference is that one uses burning as a long term cultural fixture where as the other only became common place recently due to the whims of a madman.

Hell, the Northern Realms had even let up on the anti-nonhuman sentiment comparatively, until Nilfgaard organized the Scoia'tael and armed them with deliberately inflammatory propaganda in the first war to get them all to murder each other.

Edit: We do know that. Kovir is referenced in the game plenty, and also this game does not exist in isolation. It's part of a series of games itself continued from a series of books.