Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Why are you people even arguing?
Racism is over,it just doesn't happen anymore!

Jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lfield
May 10, 2008

Cole posted:

The quote from somebody was more or less "tend to not be cops anymore."

I didn't set the parameters, your buddy did.

No he initially said "fired and punished" though, you're the one who made it just about being fired.

I can be pedantic too, if you like - in your quote, he said "tend". That leaves open the option that the cops who try to be better are not always fired, obviously. You're the only one asking for evidence of that.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

lfield posted:

No he initially said "fired and punished" though, you're the one who made it just about being fired.

I can be pedantic too, if you like - in your quote, he said "tend". That leaves open the option that the cops who try to be better are not always fired, obviously. You're the only one asking for evidence of that.

Evidence was provided before I ever asked. I merely said it would take more than two. I never said post more than two until Sedan told me he would post 100.

He still hasn't though.

And Dr's true colors came out later when he told us what he really meant, what I already knew he meant.

e: "tend" also means regularly or frequently. it doesn't regularly or frequently happen though.

Cole fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 14, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

And four out of five of the first five posted were not examples, so you still has work to do.

Maybe you should read the articles before posting them.

I quickly glanced through every article, which is more than you have done.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Cole posted:

Evidence was provided before I ever asked. I merely said it would take more than two. I never said post more than two until Sedan told me he would post 100.

He still hasn't though.

And Dr's true colors came out later when he told us what he really meant, what I already knew he meant.

Actually if we're going to split hairs, you asked him to provide, not read. So...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So we've got someone posting examples to support they're argument that they haven't read and another person dismissing them, also without reading them.

Whats actually being argued here?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

serious gaylord posted:

So we've got someone posting examples to support they're argument that they haven't read and another person dismissing them, also without reading them.

Whats actually being argued here?

It appears to be dickwaving at this point.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SedanChair posted:

I quickly glanced through every article, which is more than you have done.

i thoroughly read your first five and you struck out on all but one of them. someone else said that another one you posted had nothing to do with violence. you shot your own credibility in the foot.

Raerlynn posted:

you asked him to provide, not read. So...

Yes, and he didn't because what he provided isn't what I asked for. So...

lfield
May 10, 2008

Cole posted:

i thoroughly read your first five and you struck out on all but one of them. someone else said that another one you posted had nothing to do with violence. you shot your own credibility in the foot.

When you were initially asked about 100 stories, it was ironic. It wasn't a literal question. The intended meaning was that you would never accept any amount of evidence. Do you get that?

Even if all 100 links all fit your exact specifications for what 'counts' you'd just change them again.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

i thoroughly read your first five and you struck out on all but one of them.

Then to use your own words "you have more work to do." You won't need to read any more thoroughly than I did to dismiss the rest of them, so go ahead.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

lfield posted:

When you were initially asked about 100 stories, it was ironic. It wasn't a literal question. The intended meaning was that you would never accept any amount of evidence. Do you get that?

Even if all 100 links all fit your exact specifications for what 'counts' you'd just change them again.

No, it was legit as soon as he said 100. That's why i didn't stop asking for it.

It isn't my fault if he is wrong on most of them.

It's pretty simple: SedanChair said he would show me 100 stories of cops getting fired for not being brutal or trying to stop brutal behavior. He has failed to do that.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Cole stated that if I posted 100 examples, he would say whether or not he was convinced.

If you're going to claim those are examples, you're going to have to read more than the headline.

lfield
May 10, 2008
I declare victory on the basis that I refuse to read the opposing evidence.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

If you're going to claim those are examples, you're going to have to read more than the headline.

I did. I checked to make sure that each example involved police attempts to report on or intervene in misconduct, and retaliatory action that followed.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

lfield posted:

But enough about sedanchair.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

lfield posted:

You can't show a basketball game for evidence in the Tom Brady trial just because both incidents involve sports. Even if you tell the judge to watch all of it because it picks up in the fourth quarter.

Cole fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 14, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SedanChair posted:

I did. I checked to make sure that each example involved police attempts to report on or intervene in misconduct, and retaliatory action that followed.

Some of them didn't even involve this though.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

Some of them didn't even involve this though.

By all means, please grace us with your explanation for why they did not, in each case.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SedanChair posted:

By all means, please grace us with your explanation for why they did not, in each case.

I did with the first five and then decided you don't actually have anything good to show me and stopped reading.

That's about as far as I'm willing to go unless you actually, you know, show me something that proves your point. That would require you to do some reading before I do it.

I'm not gonna check your work for you, babe. It's up to you to restore your credibility in this argument, not me.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Cole posted:

I did with the first five and then decided you don't actually have anything good to show me and stopped reading.

That's about as far as I'm willing to go unless you actually, you know, show me something that proves your point. That would require you to do some reading before I do it.

I'm not gonna check your work for you, babe. It's up to you to restore your credibility in this argument, not me.

What exactly are you arguing again?

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Each article that I looked at fit the criteria, in my opinion.

lfield
May 10, 2008
I read a few and they all had to do with cops claiming they faced punishment for exposing misconduct or abuse by other police. I thought that was the whole point but apparently they need to be specifically fired (not just punished) for not participating in violent abuse (not just abuse of power in general.)

So well done SedanChair, you proved that police departments are corrupt and punish whistle-blowers but you haven't won the pedantic, ridiculous, goalpost-moving internet argument yet. Next find me 100 where the cop was a Capricorn called Brian who was fired on a Wednesday.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/13/us/alabama-birmingham-police-detective-pistol-whipped/index.html

This incident is bizarre. The cops keep saying the media caused the officer not kill that man, because the officer was scared of making headlines.

but then no one died.

I'm glad the media prevented that cop from killing someone.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

lfield posted:

I read a few and they all had to do with cops claiming they faced punishment for exposing misconduct or abuse by other police. I thought that was the whole point but apparently they need to be specifically fired (not just punished) for not participating in violent abuse (not just abuse of power in general.)

So well done SedanChair, you proved that police departments are corrupt and punish whistle-blowers but you haven't won the pedantic, ridiculous, goalpost-moving internet argument yet. Next find me 100 where the cop was a Capricorn called Brian who was fired on a Wednesday.

Actually, all he proved is that he doesn't read the things he uses to back up his point. That's an absolutely horrible way to debate.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I'm surprised no one has yet pointed out that a news article reporting that someone is suing for allegations of whistleblower retaliation is not the same as an article saying said lawsuit was successful.

Accusation =/= it happened.

I can't be the only one who sees the irony here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cole posted:

Actually, all he proved is that he doesn't read the things he uses to back up his point. That's an absolutely horrible way to debate.

God drat. How do the same posters keep coming in and making GBS threads up this thread? Honestly, it's frustrating because most of the time it is enjoyable to read. But what the gently caress are you trying to achieve here? What are you adding to the conversation?

gently caress. Just make a thread in GiP called "literally sucking cops dicks" and rename this thread to "discuss about hating cops" and just leave it at that.

I'm definitely no DnD superstar, but the previous threads on this topic were much better when the DnD rules were more strict.

This poo poo is terrible.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Internet Explorer posted:

God drat. How do the same posters keep coming in and making GBS threads up this thread? Honestly, it's frustrating because most of the time it is enjoyable to read. But what the gently caress are you trying to achieve here? What are you adding to the conversation?

gently caress. Just make a thread in GiP called "literally sucking cops dicks" and rename this thread to "discuss about hating cops" and just leave it at that.

I'm definitely no DnD superstar, but the previous threads on this topic were much better when the DnD rules were more strict.

This poo poo is terrible.

This post is literally "if you don't agree with us get out"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc
Weren't y'all arguing with Cole non-stop like two months ago? It's like the Bernie quarantine thread.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

Weren't y'all arguing with Cole non-stop like two months ago? It's like the Bernie quarantine thread.

This is why you have to ignore people asking for evidence but always unwilling to give any of their own.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Trabisnikof posted:

This is why you have to ignore people asking for evidence but always unwilling to give any of their own.

That's because the burden of proof isn't on me in this situation.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cole posted:

This post is literally "if you don't agree with us get out"

Yes, it is literally "if you don't agree with us get out." Because it was being talked about a few pages ago. Read the thread.

Cole posted:

That's because the burden of proof isn't on me in this situation.

Burden of proof? You asked for 100 links. Some poor fucker with too much time posted 100 links. You don't actually have the decency to try to prove him wrong. I was actually looking forward to it, because as much as I think you're a loving moron, I thought maybe I'd learn something. But no, I get to read a bunch of your dumb one liners instead.

Burden of proof? gently caress you.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

You don't actually have the decency to try to prove him wrong.

Because that isn't up to me.

I didn't bring up police getting fired for stopping police brutality, I just responded by saying two sources isn't enough to reasonably say it doesn't happen a lot.

"I am going to bring this up, now YOU prove it!" Really?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trabisnikof posted:

As much as I'd like to emptyquote this, as it's exactly my take on those people, I'll also say it really should be something that's stickied in DnD at large rather than this particular thread or any particularly shitshow-generating topic. Don't just continually engage people who say "Well, you're wrong and I'm not even going to consider looking at the supports for your argument because I'm right, you're wrong, and your supporting data/record was confusing to me" because it validates that manner of argument and discussion.

That said, this -

DARPA posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/13/us/alabama-birmingham-police-detective-pistol-whipped/index.html

This incident is bizarre. The cops keep saying the media caused the officer not kill that man, because the officer was scared of making headlines.

but then no one died.

- is a legitimately good development, even if the schmuck is trying to wring fundraising out of the usual suspects. "I don't want to be known as someone who murdered an unarmed person, so I didn't murder an unarmed person and instead got knocked around a bit."

Welcome to being a cop, sometimes you're going to take a lump or three after choosing not to kill someone, but that's what courts and criminal charges are for after the fact.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

FAUXTON posted:

"Well, you're wrong and I'm not even going to consider looking at the supports for your argument because I'm right, you're wrong, and your supporting data/record was confusing to me"

The data given didn't support his stance. He even admitted he only skimmed every article he posted. That admission alone is enough to kill credibility.

E: If I had said I only skimmed stuff I was using to back up my point, you all would dogpile the poo poo out of me for that.

Cole fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 14, 2015

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

DARPA posted:

but then no one died.

People will point to this as justification for shooting unarmed black men. It's amazing that "cop doesn't shoot black guy" is the main story on CNN and that most of the article talks about how sad it is that he got beat up and people took pictures.

edit: also, "It's hard times for us" hahaha yeah. It's rough not being able to kill people because people are paying more attention.

beejay fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 14, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cole posted:

The data given didn't support his stance. He even admitted he only skimmed every article he posted. That admission alone is enough to kill credibility.

You get 2 "well researched" examples and you bitch and moan about it. Then you get the 100 examples you ask for and complain because he didn't read every word of every article? What are you, his thesis advisor? Is he working on getting his doctorate? Or perhaps interviewing for a job as chief of police, running on a platform of police reform?

:fuckoff:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

You get 2 "well researched" examples and you bitch and moan about it. Then you get the 100 examples you ask for and complain because he didn't read every word of every article? What are you, his thesis advisor? Is he working on getting his doctorate? Or perhaps interviewing for a job as chief of police, running on a platform of police reform?

But I didn't get the 100 examples I asked for, that's why I complained.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fly away troll~~~

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Fly away since you don't agree with me~~~
fixed :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

While I appreciate your energy I just want to tell you that it isn't worth it.

You should post more, just don't get too invested. I know that is hard to do, I often fail.
The reality of this thread is that there are a handful of us arguing the same poo poo day after day and then imagining how lovely the people we are arguing with are.

We get testy and nasty and ascribe all sorts of wrong opinions onto people because we disagree with them.

It's a fun thread. :v:

Pohl fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 14, 2015

• Locked thread