Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

poo poo I wish I knew months ago: sorceries can headshot. Soul arrow now does more than lightning spear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

What happens if you headshot with Lightning Spear, though

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

What happens if you headshot with Lightning Spear, though

A whole lot of nothing special. Just tested it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I didn't realize that there could be new ways for Lightning Spear to disappoint me

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just crystal soul speared an Alonne Knight in the face for almost 1500 damage, despite their higher magic resistance than lightning.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What would be a nice sorcerer build for PvE to have as reference? I never played caster on a souls game so I'm lost on that and I discarded going Hexer. I started out as sorcerer for the staff and will see how it goes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Guillermus posted:

What would be a nice sorcerer build for PvE to have as reference? I never played caster on a souls game so I'm lost on that and I discarded going Hexer. I started out as sorcerer for the staff and will see how it goes.

50/50 int and attunement, enough other stats for equipment. Dragonrider Halberd and Crescent Axe are the main magic scaling weapons that aren't way late in the game. There's a magic mace in Huntsman's Copse and you'll want to go that way anyway for soul spear so that might be a better option. Then run off to Tseldora for Staff of Wisdom and the Crescent Axe.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 12, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This got linked in IRC and holy poo poo is it amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVKOn_drsMA

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

All bosses dead. Heading into NG+, I either want to do dual xbow, dragonrider bow, or dual caestus. How does one build dual cestus?

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 13, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You have to use CE to check if you got the sin. I think you do, no matter how the NPC dies. The game gives you the souls for its death, and that's when the sin gets added.

Luckily, however, I do happen to have the ability to blue invade someone regardless of sin if you want that fixed.

Though you'd have to wait a month, I'm on vacation.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Genocyber posted:

From that guy's twitter:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I know this is really insignificant but why the hell are 1/3 of that video's ratings dislikes. That is an amazing outfit and they even put a lot of effort into the video itself.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

pyromance posted:

From that guy's twitter:

Holy poo poo. :allears: I love whoever this is.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Genocyber posted:

That is loving awesome.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TheHoosier posted:

All bosses dead. Heading into NG+, I either want to do dual xbow, dragonrider bow, or dual caestus. How does one build dual cestus?

They scale with both strength and dex. So basically, 40 strength is mandatory, 40 dex is ideal. Wear RoB, Stone Ring, Flynn if you like it, whatever other ring you want. Get good ADP because you have no shield.

Powerstance, press L1, stunlock everything to death.

e: Don't infuse them with an element. It kills the physical scaling, which makes up most of your damage.

e2: Wear the Gyrm warrior pants and no shirt. This is mandatory for all punchmans.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 13, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

That is loving awesome.
For some reason, the coffee-as-estus made me laugh way too much.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I've noticed about the inputs is that you joystick has to be in neutral when you do the guard break or jump attacks motions in order for them to come out. I think this really hurts the slower bigger weapons in the game as far as PvP is concerned. I've tried using them some, but if a heavy attack comes out instead of a jumping attack even once, you've pretty much lost.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I know this is really insignificant but why the hell are 1/3 of that video's ratings dislikes. That is an amazing outfit and they even put a lot of effort into the video itself.

Well apparently this youtube account just took the video from the Japanese youtube equivalent. It wasn't uploaded by the creator.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have steam version of SOTFS. I recently did a fresh Win10 install and backed up my saves but now I forget where they go. Help a brother out?

[Ed] never mind I found it :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 13, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Apologies for what are probably some stupid questions that get asked a bunch, but I'm itching to play some DS2 again and I can't decide if I should play the original PC version or shell out for SotFS.

1. Were there any major balance changes in SotFS, especially regarding magic/miracles? Are elemental damage types still awful in the DLC areas in SotFS?

2. Do the new enemy placements enhance the game overall, or are they just new and mostly just shake things up for people who know DS2 well enough to become complacent?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Harrow posted:

Apologies for what are probably some stupid questions that get asked a bunch, but I'm itching to play some DS2 again and I can't decide if I should play the original PC version or shell out for SotFS.

1. Were there any major balance changes in SotFS, especially regarding magic/miracles? Are elemental damage types still awful in the DLC areas in SotFS?

2. Do the new enemy placements enhance the game overall, or are they just new and mostly just shake things up for people who know DS2 well enough to become complacent?

I never played DS II vanilla but it's common in this thread alone that enemy placement is way better. Lightning miracles apparently aren't as powerful as they were previously. I'm yet to actually try them as I went Hex in my FTH playthrough, but I'm sure it's still viable.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They scale with both strength and dex. So basically, 40 strength is mandatory, 40 dex is ideal. Wear RoB, Stone Ring, Flynn if you like it, whatever other ring you want. Get good ADP because you have no shield.

Powerstance, press L1, stunlock everything to death.

e: Don't infuse them with an element. It kills the physical scaling, which makes up most of your damage.

e2: Wear the Gyrm warrior pants and no shirt. This is mandatory for all punchmans.

I'll remember this for either NG++ or another NG. I went ranged for NG+, which so far has been going much better than expected. 50 DEX, 30 STR, 30 FTH, Bow of Want +5, Avalyn +10 (will probably switch this out for Sanctum), and a Blacksteel Katana +10 for emergencies. It's definitely spiced up the boss fights quite a bit; I have to have my timing down to a fine science or I get clobbered at the end of the firing frames.

I have, however, ran into a brick-loving-wall. So for any of you that have done bow runs, what the gently caress should I be doing about Lost Sinner NG+? Do I need to Git Gud harder or try a specific strategy? She just moves around so much and I spend so much time trying to get lined up that I eat pyro magic and get stunlocked.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

They found a good combination of genuinely better enemy placement and gotcha moments directed at returning players, and those two things usually coincide more often than not. It's much, much more apparent and varied in the beginning of the game/the four branching paths, and none of the DLCs are changed at all to my knowledge (save for some invader-related stuff), but overall it's a good change from the norm.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Harrow posted:

You no longer have to rush the Iron Keep for the ember and a lot of cool equipment is found much earlier in the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Welp, looks like I've got to get SotFS then!

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I play on a potato so I play vanilla.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So... Apparently you're no longer invincible while traveling through the fog. It's remarkable just how many little things I hate about this game. I mean, they are very little things; but collectively, it's trying my patience in a big way.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You are invincible...after a certain point. At the beginning of the animation, you can definitely be backstabbed out of running through the gate. Which is a good thing...for bellbros and rat people.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It's v. annoying for killing Smelter Demon with SotFS layout Iron Keep. Pretty much have to clear half the room to actually get through the fog door unmolested consistently, so if you die a lot it's really tedious (thankfully I got him in just a couple tries).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I agree that SotFS made Iron Keep even more annoying. I greatly respected the Keep in vanilla for being one of the boldest, most DS1-y areas with just BRUTAL enemy placement, but somehow they just added more in SotFS without making it any more interesting or even less annoying, which kinda sucks...missed opportunity to make the Smelter run less tedious, too.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Going through Iron Keep in SotFS is kind of like playing Dark Souls with the aggression mod. It's pretty funny initially, but becomes tedious when you have to do it repeatedly. On the bright side, it's probably the most annoying area outside of the DLC, so once you're done with it the rest of the game feels a lot smoother.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
New Iron Keep is awful. The bullshit doesn't stop after you clear Smelter, either, that big room with the trap floors is an absolute no-cover artillery fuckshow now. Also the Shrine of Amana didn't need to be made even more obnoxious.

I'm not terribly convinced by a lot of the SotFS changes, but you don't have much of a choice if you want to stay with the active online playerbase.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The big room with the lava and trap floors didn't feel particularly different to me. I actually like the Shrine of Amana changes because they make the shittiest part closer to the bonfire. Yeah, they should have just made it no lovely, but it's less of a setback if you die to it now.

Though a bow still completely trivializes the whole area and you really shouldn't be dying there. I do agree that not all of the changes are for the better though. A lot are just sidegrades, but since it's different you'll probably end up being surprised by it anyway if you played vanilla.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Before arriving Iron Keep I bought a lot of poison arrows, that makes that zone bearable, in fact makes a lot of zones easier but for some reason poison arrows don't work at all on NG+. Did they nerf them past NG? Because it sucks that I have like 500 :v

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Guy in full Hex gear making GBS threads magic all over Forest of Giant lowbies accuses me of being the twink because I have a claymore. :allears:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
So I finally started this game, way too late. I'm at the part where you get a certain item that lets you unlock three doors. But I'm not concerned about PvE. It's PvP. I have won one invasion out of a lot, and it was because it was in the Shrine of Amana, and I Zweihander'd him off the edge, into the drink. It was funny.

What's a good way to get started with pvp? So my success rate is at least 20% or something. I'm a strength melee build that has a +10 Heide Knight Sword and a +10 Red Iron Twinblade, which I've heard is pretty good. I don't want to be a super minmaxer here, I just want to have a shot. What rings should I be wearing, what weapon should I change to (unless the RITB would work), and how should I go about it? What goals should I shoot for? I wouldn't mind changing weapons, although I do like straight swords and heavier weapons just because they're my style.

I don't need any incredibly special in depth guide here, just something to get on my feet and get started so maybe I can actually kill the occasional invader. Right now its just me rolling, landing maybe a hit, then taking 1500 damage from some weapon I don't recognize and getting mad.

Thanks!

e: I should probably explain what I'm doing now whenever I get invaded. I double grip my RITB, put on a Third Dragon Ring (a phantom gave it to me, which was cute,) a stone ring, and a ring of blades +1. Since the weapon has such nice poise damage and hits frequently, I figure with the stone ring that would just stun lock the gently caress out of all the near naked people and render them helpless. This doesn't work, and I end up dying.

Node fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 14, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Red Iron does a shitload of poise damage already. If you're staggering people in one hit anyways, extra poise damage does nothing. It doesn't increase the length of the stagger or anything.

e: You can't really stunlock with anything. Most weapons can only do 2-hit combos, with some fast poo poo able to get in 3.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 15, 2015

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Red Iron Twinblade wrecks in PvE but it isn't very good for PvP. The Heide Knight sword will serve you much better. If you're taking a shitton of damage then maybe level your Vigor to 20. Getting your Endurance up to 20 won't hurt either. Also I'm guessing you know about Adaptability and how it affects your iframes because if you don't you'd be having a very bad time even when you're not invaded.

Most of that loadout is good though. Stone Ring is very good, the Chloranthy Ring is also very good because stamina = offensive capability and if your opponent has a lot more of it then you're going to get hosed up unless you're really good at parrying or something. There's a +1 Chloranthy in the shaded woods and a +2 if you Ascetic the Executioner's Chariot.

Straight swords in general are a good PvP weapon class so uh I guess maybe join the Brotherhood of Blood and fight in the arena a whole bunch: there's no downside for losing. Well, there is one: you lose ranks within the covenant for losing fights (down to a minimum of zero), so the blood arena has the biggest tryhards in the whole PvP community. So you're going to get dunked on a lot. Baptism of fire and all that. Practice enough and you'll get a feel for the various fighting styles that the game allows and how to deal with them.

Win a few times and you'll get some invasion orbs. Try using them. Invade some people and see what things are like from an invader's perspective.

e: Alternatively add me on Steam and we can spar a bit :v:

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 15, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mr Dog posted:

Red Iron Twinblade wrecks in PvE but it isn't very good for PvP

When did this happen?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Node posted:

So I finally started this game, way too late. I'm at the part where you get a certain item that lets you unlock three doors. But I'm not concerned about PvE. It's PvP. I have won one invasion out of a lot, and it was because it was in the Shrine of Amana, and I Zweihander'd him off the edge, into the drink. It was funny.

What's a good way to get started with pvp? So my success rate is at least 20% or something. I'm a strength melee build that has a +10 Heide Knight Sword and a +10 Red Iron Twinblade, which I've heard is pretty good. I don't want to be a super minmaxer here, I just want to have a shot. What rings should I be wearing, what weapon should I change to (unless the RITB would work), and how should I go about it? What goals should I shoot for? I wouldn't mind changing weapons, although I do like straight swords and heavier weapons just because they're my style.

I don't need any incredibly special in depth guide here, just something to get on my feet and get started so maybe I can actually kill the occasional invader. Right now its just me rolling, landing maybe a hit, then taking 1500 damage from some weapon I don't recognize and getting mad.

Thanks!

e: I should probably explain what I'm doing now whenever I get invaded. I double grip my RITB, put on a Third Dragon Ring (a phantom gave it to me, which was cute,) a stone ring, and a ring of blades +1. Since the weapon has such nice poise damage and hits frequently, I figure with the stone ring that would just stun lock the gently caress out of all the near naked people and render them helpless. This doesn't work, and I end up dying.

I wouldn't recommend using the Red Iron Twinblade when you're just starting out. It hits like a truck but all its moves are slow enough that they're very easy to dodge through, especially if you're not good at using it. Something quick (like your Heide Knight Sword) will serve you a fare bit better.

If you want to get started with PVP I'd suggest leaving your red/dragon sign or invading on the bridge at the start of the Iron Keep. It's a popular dueling spot and unlike the Brotherhood of Blood arena it is not tryhard build city.

As far as gear goes Third Dragon Ring and Ring of Blades should always be equipped. Preferably the RoB+2, which you can get from using a bonfire ascetic at the King's Gate bonfire in Drangleic Castle, then going into the throne room behind Chancellor Wellager (the ghost guy at the start of the castle). Stone Ring isn't terribly helpful for the Winblade since it already has pretty high poise damage. If your maximum equip load is 60.0 or less, Flynn's Ring from Shulva is a good choice (at 60 or less max equip load it gives an extra 50 AR). Otherwise I'd go with the strongest Life Ring you have, best Chloranthy Ring, or best Royal Soldier's Ring (higher equip load=lower % of max equip load used=faster stamina regen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Is MP totally dead if I don't have Scholar of the First Sin? Or am I mis-remembering this as a game that split its population with DLC?

E: Wait, they're two separate games? How is the population in the original?