Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
It is now August.

XSEED please don't be lying/pulling some "Astronomical Summer" bullshit and give us SC. Preferably sooner.

Cake Attack posted:

In China, haha

Given that the PC port for Ao no Kiseki is also some Chinese thingy, and yet XSEED apparently considers it relevant, PC Celceta from China might not be too bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Supremezero posted:

It is now August.

XSEED please don't be lying/pulling some "Astronomical Summer" bullshit and give us SC. Preferably sooner.

August 31st is still technically in summer.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

August 31st is still technically in summer.

So's September 19th.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
The least surprising news I could possibly ever hear at this point is "hey guys, we delayed it again!"

Slur fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 4, 2015

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
This is a great thread. I was recently reading on another site that mentions several other Ys games not listed in the OP. There's a bunch of mobile games including tetris, pinball, qix, and solitaire clones. More relevant is that there's a Ys MMO and a Ys fighting game because why the hell not.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Specifically, an Ys x Trails in the Sky arena fighting game.

Dogi is the only character you should play as.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

The Colonel posted:

This is the one entry in the Ys franchise I want the most from past generations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

The Colonel posted:

I have a boxed special edition copy of this that comes with an audio drama version of the story on CD.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/posts/1202292269796184

:cripes:

Why?! How?! You said a couple of months at the start of summer! Dammit XSEED I trusted you.

... well, I didn't really trust you. But I BELIEVED! Vaguely!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

I guess at least I can shelve my replay of FC for a bit...?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lol psp game in 2016 please

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'll live.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Can...can we play Cold Steel before Trails SC?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Supremezero posted:

https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/posts/1202292269796184

:cripes:

Why?! How?! You said a couple of months at the start of summer! Dammit XSEED I trusted you.

... well, I didn't really trust you. But I BELIEVED! Vaguely!

We've waited this long already. We can wait another few months, right?

Have faith.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Slur posted:

We've waited this long already. We can wait another few months, right?

Have faith.

A few months will slowly turn into another year.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I believe they said on Twitter that they'll have another blog about SC coming soon, so maybe we'll hear a little more then.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Did Xseed ever update First Chapter to include the bestiary or has that been pushed back as well??

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nah that got added months ago

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This is good, because I still haven't bought FC yet.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Ryuga Death posted:

A few months will slowly turn into another year.

Glad you're thinking similarly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

On the one hand, these delays keep piling on and that kind of sucks.

On the other hand, the translation is done, so we know it's actually coming. They just keep running into issues.

I really want to play SC too, but I've been waiting less than a year. I know some of you have been waiting much much longer.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I know some of you have been waiting much much longer.

Lol i beat the game the week it came out on psp.

It'll be out when it's out, no sense worrying about it too much. Read a book, watch an anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Learn to use a Bo Staff

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Colonel posted:

Learn to use a Bo Staff

My hair isn't long enough for twin tails. Can I learn dual wielding swords instead?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Supremezero posted:

My hair isn't long enough for twin tails. Can I learn dual wielding swords instead?

No, those are dangerous. Learn how to handle a science cannon instead.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The Colonel posted:

Isn't that the game this is from?

Because if they're going to have one of the Ys girls decide to pick up a sword start stabbing people, the least you can do is let them indulge that desire.

Also, Falcom really seemed to like having Elena be a knight.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they just like a lady in a short skirt and a long sword, and hell, so do I

space drake has made a big post in the past speculating elena is going to play a big role in some future ys game and that they're building that up

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Lord Koth posted:

Isn't that the game this is from?

Because if they're going to have one of the Ys girls decide to pick up a sword start stabbing people, the least you can do is let them indulge that desire.

Also, Falcom really seemed to like having Elena be a knight.

These are actually from, respectively, the Oath in Felghana PSP edition and the Ys Celceta collector's edition.

Though Knight Elena did feature in Ys vs. Trails!

She wasn't a playable character, but she was basically a (really good) assist trophy.

But yeah, to summarize a big :words: post I made a while back: basically every new piece of media since the PSP Oath release has featured this "Knight Elena" instead of the design she actually has in the game. At no point (edit: in Wanderers/Oath) does Elena ever wear something like this or pick up the Brave Sword. It's actually that Celceta collector's edition where it gets a bit weird, because it featured basically all the Ys ladies, and they were all at their most iconic and identifiable... except for Elena, who is instead in that get-up that never appears in her own game. Either multiple artists at Falcom like that outfit (possible, granted) or they're doing another one of those super-long-term teases they like so much. They've done stuff like that before, both with Ys and with Trails.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 14, 2015

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Colonel posted:

You can accurately replicate the Chester 2 boss fight as a playable character though

Except you're in mid-air the whole time :madmax:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

These are actually from, respectively, the Oath in Felghana PSP edition and the Ys Celceta collector's edition.

Though Knight Elena did feature in Ys vs. Trails!

She wasn't a playable character, but she was basically a (really good) assist trophy.

But yeah, to summarize a big :words: post I made a while back: basically every new piece of media since the PSP Oath release has featured this "Knight Elena" instead of the design she actually has in the game. At no point does Elena ever wear something like this or pick up the Brave Sword. It's actually that Celceta collector's edition where it gets a bit weird, because it featured basically all the Ys ladies, and they were all at their most iconic and identifiable... except for Elena, who is instead in that get-up that never appears in her own game. Either multiple artists at Falcom like that outfit (possible, granted) or they're doing another one of those super-long-term teases they like so much. They've done stuff like that before, both with Ys and with Trails.

The problem with the way that this is being handled (and the entire Trails series as well) is that Falcom seem to think that their writers will be immortal/their profits will justify a consistent number of sequels. Sure, this could all be built up to some grand conclusion, but the question is if we're ever going to see it, and even more questionably so in the west. This is half the reason why cliffhanging is a really, really, really bad idea.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

falcom has been making ys games for about 30 years now

i think the boat will continue to sail

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The interconnectedness if half the reason trails is popular anyway so even if the well runs dry some day it's silly to say it was a bad idea

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Slur posted:

The problem with the way that this is being handled (and the entire Trails series as well) is that Falcom seem to think that their writers will be immortal/their profits will justify a consistent number of sequels. Sure, this could all be built up to some grand conclusion, but the question is if we're ever going to see it, and even more questionably so in the west. This is half the reason why cliffhanging is a really, really, really bad idea.

You don't really need to be immortal to have your story continue, you just need to leave complete notes of what you have in mind. Which you should be doing anyway.

Hell, the Writer(s?) probably have to explain the overarching whatever to people in order to get poo poo done anyway.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

here is the blog post, about why this is taking forever

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/126706403020/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-second

featuring the wrong words getting made big

and estelle getting stuck in walls

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

I kind of wish they'd keep this error in.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Colonel posted:

I kind of wish they'd keep this error in.

Yeah, I gotta say I like that one.

I mean, the fact that it apparently refers to Olivier, they have a point, but still.

And the stuck in walls one isn't worth caring about, since the guy had to work hard to get in there anyway. So if you do it yourself, it's your own drat fault.

This one, however.

How. How does that even work.

Ugh.

So, I guess I can understand that they're delayed hard by this.

But this just begs the question of how the hell did it happen in the first place. What did Falcom do when making this game.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 15, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Japanese video game programmers aren't exactly renowned for brilliant coding. You just need to follow almost every fantranslation project out there to realize what a goddamn nightmare it is 95% of the time and Xseed has the support of Falcom to localize this game too which includes official tools which fantranslators don't have!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

well i mean the ys games never seemed to give xseed any troubles

i think trails is just actively resisting being localized in every way it knows how

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... wait.

What.

As work was drawing to a close on the editing side of SC, a lot of discussion was also being had on the direction of the series as a whole. This was always in the back of our minds, but it became especially important as work on Cold Steel began.

WHAT.

They didn't start translating Cold Steel until editing of SC was almost done? And they're already done?

... Hm. Or maybe it means editing of Cold Steel began. Still, that's kinda nuts, though CS isn't remotely as long as SC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Japanese video game programmers aren't exactly renowned for brilliant coding. You just need to follow almost every fantranslation project out there to realize what a goddamn nightmare it is 95% of the time and Xseed has the support of Falcom to localize this game too which includes official tools which fantranslators don't have!
As someone who has worked on US games (okay, game, singular) and poked around in the coding of various other games: every video game ever made is a dadaist parody of proper coding. It isn't just Japan.

Part of the problem is that few games are properly readied for translation, and don't take it into account while being created. You can see it in the [] instead of "" thing in Trails - if the devs were thinking about translation, they could have easily made " a supported character, but they weren't so they didn't.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 15, 2015

• Locked thread