Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Raluek posted:

Just needs a roof chop and the seats mounted to the floor to compensate.

Not necessarily. Tall wagons (especially crossovers cum rally wagons) can be awesome too.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/subaru-forester-xti-concept-review

I do agree that something needs to be done with that Edge to make that lower ride height work. Based on that XTI concept, I'd say it needs a different lower front bumper and side skirts at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wonder how many Civic Si parts bolt onto my CRV.

What year CRV?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
A lowered CR-V looks great

A lowered Forester looks good too, but starting to get obscure

Equinox - you never even thought of this

Even a damned Aztec looks alright

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

0toShifty posted:

A lowered CR-V looks great

A lowered Forester looks good too, but starting to get obscure

I think this is the first time I've seen a lowered vehicle that not only doesn't look bad, but straight up looks desirable.

With regard to prior making GBS threads on Nissan, I'm actually starting to fall in love with the base model Micra. My favourite car I've ever owned, despite being an old shitbox, was an NX2000, and while the Micra is a lot less powerful it still totally has the tiny, flickable tin can thing going for it. It just looks fun to drive hard and it costs $10k which is less than a used Civic.

Part of me seriously wants one. Am I retarded?

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 15, 2015

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

A lowered CR-V is a Forrester. :stare:

The Aztec looks like one of those stanced car drawings made real.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Lowered Foresters are the standard backwards cap wearing idiot ride around here. Usually with huge chrome wheels and a hacked in front mount.

I've never seen a lowered CRV though

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Those are some beefy lookin wagons right there. I wonder how badly the crossover market would tank if everyone called them what they are: wagons.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Tahoes, Suburbans, and all the rest of the huge rear end suvs are basically the Griswald Vista Cruiser.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Round these parts it'd the Toyota Venza - aka Venzabus. Place is lousy with them. So many stick figure families.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Linedance posted:

Round these parts it'd the Toyota Venza - aka Venzabus. Place is lousy with them. So many stick figure families.

I don't know what it is, or even if it's like a regional thing, but Venza drivers are some of the biggest assholes on the road.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

A lowered Journey looks almost like the next-gen Magnum we never got.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tommychu posted:

A lowered Journey looks almost like the next-gen Magnum we never got.

I don't find that completely offensive, they just look odd over here with Fiat badges.

But put a Hellcat motor in it, and all will be well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I saw a Rav4 EV in person today at work, didn't even know it existed, so I googled it to see how much they sell for :stare:

It looks like a great little suv, but not for 50k jesus.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Electric cars and most hybrids are just a form of conspicuous consumption with dubious net benefits overall. Modern gasoline engines still aren't as thermally efficient as the turbine generators in coal plants but they are a hell of a lot cleaner.

These vehicles make more sense when you realize they're vanity purchases for people who aren't into trucks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

If you do a lot of around town driving then a conventional (i.e. non plugin) hybrid like a Prius makes a lot of sense - they're far more pleasant at low speeds than diesels.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
On the other hand, that Tesla can get to 60mph in under 3 seconds

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

dissss posted:

If you do a lot of around town driving then a conventional (i.e. non plugin) hybrid like a Prius makes a lot of sense - they're far more pleasant at low speeds than diesels.

Prius is actually what made me insert the "most" qualifier in there; given their price, practicality, and reliability the Prius actually makes a ton of sense for users such as taxi drivers or people who do a shitload of city driving where the fuel efficiency will make a significant difference.

I'd go so far as to say that everyone driving a mid-size sedan hosed up and should be driving a Prius since the sedan body shape is inefficient and dumb as hell.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wheeee posted:

Prius is actually what made me insert the "most" qualifier in there; given their price, practicality, and reliability the Prius actually makes a ton of sense for users such as taxi drivers or people who do a shitload of city driving where the fuel efficiency will make a significant difference.

I'd go so far as to say that everyone driving a mid-size sedan hosed up and should be driving a Prius since the sedan body shape is inefficient and dumb as hell.

As a counterpoint, the Prius looks like a melted jelly bean turd.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wheeee posted:

The point of the sedan body shape is to reduce NVH and improve handling. The two things the Prius is honestly pretty bad at.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Mange Mite posted:

The point of the sedan body shape is to reduce NVH and improve handling. The two things the Prius is honestly pretty bad at.

Back in the days when cars had the structural integrity of beer cans, sure.

Also the Prius is ugly as hell and I would never own one, but I fully admit that's because of dumb subjective preference.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
All cars should be nb or na miatas.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

blugu64 posted:

All cars should be nb or na miatas.

That's a weird way to spell "Fiesta ST."

:confused:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wheeee posted:

Back in the days when cars had the structural integrity of beer cans, sure.

Also the Prius is ugly as hell and I would never own one, but I fully admit that's because of dumb subjective preference.

I thought the previous gen looked ok and had a good interior. The current ones have a much uglier design and the interior is noticeably cheaper and pretty much worse in every way. They're good cars but they are pretty loud inside, ride pretty harshly, and in general they've actually gotten a little worse over time as Toyota decontented it. The new Prius is coming soon and supposedly it's going to be shaped more like a sedan, which might be due to aero but might also possibly be to better differentiate it from the Prius V. Which I think is a dumb move since the best selling point of the Prius is that it was one of the few large liftbacks available and it's very practical for carrying stuff, etc.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 17, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

KakerMix posted:

Tesla 3 P120D (or whatever it ends up being) will be my next car for exactly that reason. You, know, in 4-5 years when I'm done playing with my brand new mustang and not stuck in an apartment without a good charging infrastructure..

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Wheeee posted:

The new Malibu hybrid is supposedly getting 47 MPG and looks like a sedan. I like it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Biodome posted:

The new Malibu hybrid is supposedly getting 47 MPG and looks like a sedan. I like it.

I'll bet that like the Camry it will have lost a bunch of boot space over the normal version.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr-Spain posted:

What year CRV?

2013. Maybe some 06-up parts? Pipe dream anyway, I highly doubt the wife would let me lower it :v:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Tell her you're doing it because you're concerned for her safety and want to eliminate rollover risk.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

Yup and this surprised the hell out of a friend with a 650+bhp Skyline recently. He was rather shocked to find the Tesla just squatted off the line and shot off away from him, it was only when the ridiculous engine got spinning and the turbo spooled up that he managed to catch up and pass him.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

2013. Maybe some 06-up parts? Pipe dream anyway, I highly doubt the wife would let me lower it :v:

If it's the K24 there are some things you can do but I'm not sure if you can get it tuned.

In other news Ford has 0% financing for 72 months, for the first 4 credit levels until september 8th. I'm prowling local dealers for an edge sport at the moment. I'd do a Mustang if I didn't have two kids :/

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Mr-Spain posted:

In other news Ford has 0% financing for 72 months, for the first 4 credit levels until september 8th. I'm prowling local dealers for an edge sport at the moment. I'd do a Mustang if I didn't have two kids :/

Just picked up a new Mustang GT using the 0%. It's a pretty sweet deal.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Q_res posted:

Just picked up a new Mustang GT using the 0%. It's a pretty sweet deal.

Nice, any options?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
GT Premium with a manual, 20” wheels, reverse park assist and Nav. Posted some pics in the Mustang thread if you're interested.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mr-Spain posted:

If it's the K24 there are some things you can do but I'm not sure if you can get it tuned.

It doesn't apply to 2016 mustangs. :(

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
it really is a shame the US let our roads decay for 40 years so everything needs Mad Max level ground clearance. All those lowered cars look way more attractive than their stock counterparts.

Back when we were kids my friend's dad had a E39 5 series that the european suspension package and it was the coolest. Another friend had a 2010 mustang that he lowered like half an inch and it had the same effect. I believe both cars suffered damage due to moon crater potholes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

88h88 posted:

Yup and this surprised the hell out of a friend with a 650+bhp Skyline recently. He was rather shocked to find the Tesla just squatted off the line and shot off away from him, it was only when the ridiculous engine got spinning and the turbo spooled up that he managed to catch up and pass him.

The funny thing about this is that the new Tesla has 762 bhp. And since there's really no drivetrain to speak of, that's pretty much the same as at the wheels. If I had to guess, the Skyline only caught up because the torque curve on electric engines favors the low-end. He was probably also racing the older, slower model.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
New LC looks pretty good.

http://toyota.jp/landcruiser/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KillHour posted:

The funny thing about this is that the new Tesla has 762 bhp. And since there's really no drivetrain to speak of, that's pretty much the same as at the wheels. If I had to guess, the Skyline only caught up because the torque curve on electric engines favors the low-end. He was probably also racing the older, slower model.
This is my question on Teslas too.
Why doesn't that 762hp make itself felt at 100mph like it does at 10mph?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

This is my question on Teslas too.
Why doesn't that 762hp make itself felt at 100mph like it does at 10mph?

There's one gear and the torque curve is more or less linear trending downward.

Here is what a DC motor on a bench does with increasing RPM:

Other DC designs have significantly worse torque fall-off:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Electric cars would be a lot better if they had a small, simple two speed transfer case or whatever directly on the motor outputs. High and low gear, old school video game style.