Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Create bonfire, the initial attack of immolation, and all the wall spells have a dex save on entering them (blade barrier, wall of fire/ice/thorns, and whirlwind)
I think that "entering" may not qualify, since the language is "that only targets you". ASK YOUR DM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I just realized that any level 9 warlock can take invocations that allow them to cast Jump and Levitate at will. gently caress monks, Warlocks are the real masters of Hong Kong wire work :psyduck:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Works "okay", but needs more content/powers
This is where I'm at. I could write up 90% of the system, but most of the actual character sections would be <insert level x necromancy utility here>

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ixjuvin posted:

I just realized that any level 9 warlock can take invocations that allow them to cast Jump and Levitate at will. gently caress monks, Warlocks are the real masters of Hong Kong wire work :psyduck:

Get an arcane focus shaped like a pistol and re-enact all your favorite John Woo/Chow Yun Fat collaborations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Ixjuvin posted:

I was going to say that Monks would still jump better, but now I've realised that jump distance is completely detached from movement speed and relies solely on strength stat, which most monks will ignore.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

goatface posted:

I was going to say that Monks would still jump better, but now I've realised that jump distance is completely detached from movement speed and relies solely on strength stat, which most monks will ignore.

At my table we've just decided that monks can substitute Dex / acrobatics as appropriate for Str / athletics. It makes them a bit more playable.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I might have missed it, but if this didn't get mentioned yet, the IDW D&D comics are the current Humble Book Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/books

I hear they are p good.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
The John Rogers books are the best thing to ever come out of the DnD franchise. Systems, video games, movies, books? All terrible. That comic? Pure gold.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

The John Rogers books are the best thing to ever come out of the DnD franchise. Systems, video games, movies, books? All terrible. That comic? Pure gold.

Hey now the Infinity Engine games were good. Torment was downright great :mad:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Is there a good, succinct take-down of D&D5 I could send to my friends? Like an article or something.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is there a good, succinct take-down of D&D5 I could send to my friends? Like an article or something.
Are they playing it and happy?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FRINGE posted:

Are they playing it and happy?

I'm not, and that's what I'm trying to explain to them, I guess.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's all you can tell them. That you're not having fun and aren't happy to play it. Trying to explain to them through bad math, poor balance, or inane design how the game is poo poo won't change their minds because if they're enjoying the game they probably don't notice these things/don't care/think they're a feature.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

It would be better if youre the outlier in that group (that is having fun) to try and work with them to get a character that lets you have fun with your friends too, instead of drag them all out of it.

The forums get too spergy about "but Im right! they are having fun wrong!", but really real-life friends are worth more than "elite" RPG opinions.

Can you articulate why you hate it in a way that leaves wiggle-room for there to be a solution at the table?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FRINGE posted:

The forums get too spergy about "but Im right! they are having fun wrong!", but really real-life friends are worth more than "elite" RPG opinions.

please tell us more about how 5e isn't as good as 2e

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Run a few one-shots for your friends in whatever systems you think are better. Showing them something else is more fun is an infinitely more successful tactic than giving them a port/blog/book/etc.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can you articulate why? As in, what specific reasons are you not having fun with the campaign you are playing in.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Really Pants posted:

please tell us more about how 5e isn't as good as 2e
I dont join a game with friends and then tell them they are having fun wrong.

I have run 2e games for friends before, and by playing a fun game they decided they liked it better than game X.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsieurChoc posted:

Give us a run down of what you aren't enjoying, or what you would enjoy that is not present.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Good luck bro, hope you get to own your friends real good.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm the GM, my group wants to switch from Dungeon World to DnD, they want something more structured and crunchy, with defined turns, grids, and all that. That means I have to learn DnD 5e, (They saw it on "Critical Roll" w/e that is and are in love.) I've never run a pre-genned adventure before, and normally just "wing it" what's some good resources for a guy like me?

I saw the Donjon thing and read the op, which I will be using a ton, and am leafing through the DM's manual right now. I guess I also have to learn how to create characters, unless there's a character creator already out. Not to mention a repository of battlemaps. (Preferably with hexgrids.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Personally I stopped using premade battlemaps a while ago and just draw stuff on a grid, because all you really need are some defined chokepoints, hazardous terrain, sources of cover, and objects that can be interacted with. You could even hand over some of it to your players to let them draw some bits and bobs based on their interpretation of what's going on.

I did write this guide for running a oneshot of it, which tried to stick as much to the RAW as possible (except where I didn't, and I tell you where at the footnotes at the end)

And then there are a bunch of official pregen characters here with levels ranging up to 10.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I'm the GM, my group wants to switch from Dungeon World to DnD, they want something more structured and crunchy, with defined turns, grids, and all that. That means I have to learn DnD 5e, (They saw it on "Critical Roll" w/e that is and are in love.) I've never run a pre-genned adventure before, and normally just "wing it" what's some good resources for a guy like me?

I saw the Donjon thing and read the op, which I will be using a ton, and am leafing through the DM's manual right now. I guess I also have to learn how to create characters, unless there's a character creator already out. Not to mention a repository of battlemaps. (Preferably with hexgrids.)

Do you have legos?

I've only used lego battlemaps a couple of times, but it was always a lot of fun doing it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Turtlicious posted:

I'm the GM, my group wants to switch from Dungeon World to DnD, they want something more structured and crunchy, with defined turns, grids, and all that.
If they want structure, crunch, and grids, consider running 4E. 5E has all these things, but does not use them as well as 4E.

e: a reduction in the need for grids, structure, and crunch was one of the professed goals of 5E.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 16, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

There's also FantasyCraft for all of the mechanical crunch you'll want. Or go balls to the wall with crunch and pick something like RoleMaster or something.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They already picked 5e and even got me the books. So I would be a Rick to try and convince them otherwise

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Which adventure do they want to run? Don't do Horde of the Dragon Queen unless everybody really likes saying "I attack the kobold" for three hours straight.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
"Critical Role" is one of the shows created by the "Geek and Sundry" channel on Twitch. This particular show is a once a week thing (I think) and is a live cast of a 5e campaign. One GM and six players, IIRC.

It's not scripted or anything but all involved are voice actors, so the character voices are pretty well done.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

:sigh: You guys are right, I should let it go. This is "Someone is wrong on the Internet!" syndrome all over again.

Still, you know, it's really frustrating to see everyone play 5E when it's a terrible mess and then hate on 4E which, while not perfect, is at least way better designed.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

FRINGE posted:

It would be better if youre the outlier in that group (that is having fun) to try and work with them to get a character that lets you have fun with your friends too, instead of drag them all out of it.

Can you articulate why you hate it in a way that leaves wiggle-room for there to be a solution at the table?

Or you could, you know, do actual fun things with your friends rather than forcing yourself to play a game you hate? There are other ways to spend time with friends besides roleplaying.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Turtlicious posted:

They already picked 5e and even got me the books. So I would be a Rick to try and convince them otherwise

You'll probably have a really good time. I am not a 5e fan, but hot drat does this thread get goony about it.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

You'll probably have a really good time. I am not a 5e fan, but hot drat does this thread get goony about it.

This thread definitely gets echo-chambery about 5E, but there are actual good, solid reasons to dislike the game. It's bad at the stated design goals, caster supremacy is back, and big parts of it are straight up lifted from prior editions with maybe a couple words changed here and there. And that's not even all of it's problems.

But at the same time, yeah, don't try to convince your group to play another game just by hating on 5E. If you absolutely have to do it, just talk to them like human beings and try to get across that you'd really like them to give 4E a go.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Still, you know, it's really frustrating to see everyone play 5E when it's a terrible mess and then hate on 4E which, while not perfect, is at least way better designed.

Unless the game is inhibiting your ability to have fun (and not just in a 'I think I could be having more fun in another system'), who cares? If it is, tell your DM why.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Are there any good forum suggestions for constructive 5e discussion? The WOTC forums are... not so great. Giant in the Playground has the occasional good discussion.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

denimgorilla posted:

Are there any good forum suggestions for constructive 5e discussion? The WOTC forums are... not so great. Giant in the Playground has the occasional good discussion.

Define constructive, because while there's a lot of putting down on playing 5e over any other game, it's not as though there isn't critical discussion over mechanics and such. The Pathfinder thread runs fine even though everyone knows how poo poo the game is and can get.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Define constructive, because while there's a lot of putting down on playing 5e over any other game, it's not as though there isn't critical discussion over mechanics and such. The Pathfinder thread runs fine even though everyone knows how poo poo the game is and can get.

And then of course you have the perennial shitbirds who keep claiming that only a bad GM would run 5e.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Or you could, you know, do actual fun things with your friends rather than forcing yourself to play a game you hate? There are other ways to spend time with friends besides roleplaying.
The person didnt ask "how do I break up with my gaming group". They have probably thought of that.

I agree that I'm a fan of "GO OUTSIDE" as an option for almost everyone on the internet though. :v:

MonsieurChoc posted:

:sigh: You guys are right, I should let it go. This is "Someone is wrong on the Internet!" syndrome all over again.

If your entire problem is "its not 4e", then yeah let it go.

If you have specific things bothering you, see if you can discuss changing your character/abilities/role so that you are more happy with what youre doing.

If you absolutely have to play "your edition", then offer to run a game of 4e, instead of telling someone else their work is no good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

denimgorilla posted:

If you have a question, just ask. As much as this thread bags on the game, there has really never been an instance where it's just "haha no don't play this" without at least someone also giving a serious response on how to work with it within the boundaries of the game.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Also one of the things that's hard about 5e discussion is that there really isn't that much to discuss (yet). There aren't any whacky builds that haven't already been discovered and there isn't a lot of optional material to mix and match. Most of the campaign material has been gone over. Really what this thread needs is cool stuff that is actually happening in people's games since that and endlessly complaining about the mechanics is all we have left.

I guess houserules. I've seen tons of good houserules from this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
I have a bit of a weird issue/mechanics thing I wanted some extra opinions on.

It revolves around Fighter multiattacks and multiclassing, and how the book tells you that you shouldn't let multiclassing people get a third or more attacks without having the fighter levels to get it. So a paladin 6/fighter 6 can attack twice and like it.

One of our DMs went "that is stupid, just let it stack cause its not a big deal", and the other DM is of the "Why would anyone fighter if others can do their gimmick by multiclassing?" (My point of "maybe its a poo poo gimmick if so and they coulda built it better by not giving anyone else extra attacks at all or by making fighters interesting" wasnt received well as a reply.)

Considering cantrips level up regardless of class or even caster levels, and how minor a boost it is to give the extra attack when you still need to jam at least 6 or more fighter levels in, does anyone even think this is remotely an issue? I am trying to see how it could be past "welp martials are built badly" and I am failing.