Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I'm working on a Les Miserables style addon and balance tweak for the weapons in Misery and The Armed Zone, and trying to figure out the most egregious errors first. What does everyone think about the gunplay as it were?

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

quote:

The Warlab level is very hard. You must advance move by move, killing mutants one by one where possible. Avoid being overwhelmed by a swarm of hostile creatures. Maybe I made it too hard.

I'm looking forward to seeing just how nuts this is. I can't imagine something worse than the SoC labs that were added into SGM though. "Hey here's a thing from another game series. It can survive multiple railgun hits and onehit you through your fully uparmored Exo. By the way, there are a dozen of them coming up the stairs and there's nowhere to run. You may wish to take this opportunity to give your butt a big ol' kiss goodbye."

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Wanna loot them buildings.

I just read Stalker: Southern Comfort, which was surprisingly good. Are there any other translated novels?

If you haven't done so already, read Roadside Picnic. It's because of this book that STALKER exists.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I read Roadside Picnic for the first time a week or so ago, thoroughly recommend it: you'll see just how much inspiration/concepts the games took from it, but its also a great read in and of itself.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
Roadside Picnic can't be recommended enough. it very thoroughly owns

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I don't know who did it or where I got it, but I listened to Roadside Picnic on audiobook and it was really loving good, I normally can't stand audiobooks but having it read to me really fit the tone of the book.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013
So I played Clear Sky w/ AO and even then I just can't find it compelling enough to continue. Is The Faction War compatible with any weapon mods (or any other mods in general)?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I don't know why people like Clear Sky. TFW is a pretty good, however.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Clear Sky is probably my favorite of the entire series, truth be told. It feels much more rawer than the other two games.

I've always preferred the stalker interactions, and Clear Sky is sort of built around that, and the entire premise and setting really drives home the point of how futile everything is. You've got people willing to fight and be killed over strategic points, as if it's some sort of hugely advantageous thing to be in control over a rusted hunk of metal that you can't even get near because it's so radioactive.

Clear Sky is a very bleak game.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Azran posted:

Was it ever confirmed STALKER 2 was being worked on?

Yes. Some concept art and environmental screenshots were leaked after GSC imploded.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013
I've been enjoying CS with TFW since it lacked the "liveliness" I expected from other games (and perhaps, unfairly, from other mods). I was wandering around much of the swamp doing missions for the CS faction and quickly realized that I wasn't running into any monsters, or bandits, or loners, and that once all the renegade bases were captured the place was quiet and dead. I didn't even need to help CS fight the renegades, really - they captured almost every base without my assistance, even if it was packed with renegades! I got to Cordon, saw the Loners doing the same thing, and gave up before I got to the Garbage. I wonder now if something was wrong with my game... ?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

VStraken posted:

I've been enjoying CS with TFW since it lacked the "liveliness" I expected from other games (and perhaps, unfairly, from other mods). I was wandering around much of the swamp doing missions for the CS faction and quickly realized that I wasn't running into any monsters, or bandits, or loners, and that once all the renegade bases were captured the place was quiet and dead. I didn't even need to help CS fight the renegades, really - they captured almost every base without my assistance, even if it was packed with renegades! I got to Cordon, saw the Loners doing the same thing, and gave up before I got to the Garbage. I wonder now if something was wrong with my game... ?

Yeah that wasn't my experience at all. Clearing bases and holding them was something I really had to work for, and if I didn't bring the right weapons for the area I was pretty much screwed. Normally by the time I had fought my way to the next base, I had my squads stretched so thin the resources and reinforcements were a godsend.

Base placement might be a big part of it though. When I played I was with the Bandits, and since their base was in the Dark Valley I had to make sure the points going to and from the Garbage were on lock. Until I had eliminated the other factions and started to move into the Red Forest, any sign of trouble around there meant I was dropping what I was doing and booking it over to help.

It does sound like something got hosed up though, because I remember icing plenty of walking loot shipments and defending points from mutant attacks

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Some of the level design in Clear Sky is really quite awesome. The swamps and that heavily wooded zone are really well designed. Outside of their scale they look organic and real.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Overwined posted:

Some of the level design in Clear Sky is really quite awesome. The swamps and that heavily wooded zone are really well designed. Outside of their scale they look organic and real.

Yeah, I do agree with that. But every time I get to Limansk I just don't want to play it anymore.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Kanyhalos posted:

The Military has taken control on most of the outposts and gates, they secure the Zone, just like how it would be in reality (for example, they guard the entrance of Garbage from Cordon, The Bar level from Garbage, and they also occupied the former Dark Valley bandit base and the Army Warehouses freedom base etc.

I don't know how I feel about this, particularly guarding the Bar and Army Warehouse. Bar is Duty/Neutral territory and fairly deep in the Zone, and the military losing the Warehouses was a major Freedom plot point from CS. Army guarding the perimeter of the Zone is ok, but an established presence deeper inside the Zone is odd.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The thing with oblivion löst was always to get the gameworld back to the original concept/first draft if you will. Ie. when SoC was in development hell in '02? the prewiews showed a game without factions, only other individuals friendly or not. The military was a deus ex to explain why you just couldn't walk of the map back to civilization, they weren't necessarily directly hostile to the player åt all.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Wow, Call of Chernobyl is intense. I started out as the canon faction, and the farthest I've managed to push out from home base is to the building with the entrance to X16 or 18, whichever one you go in first in SoC. There's loving mutants everywhere, and the military pricks think it's funny to light me up when all I'm carrying is a .45. I showed them though, and got two SVD-2ms from them, as well as an A-94 that I've managed to kit out nicely. I can barely afford ammo or anything more resilient than some phony Adidas. I thought I'd be able to sell the SVDs I got for a nice bit of cash, but the cutoff point for damaged goods is like 85% condition or something close to Misery levels of dumb. The flashlight I've got also seems to be the kind you get from the bargain bin on your way to the counter at your local 7-11. The first mission I got from the trader was to ice some mutants in the opposite corner of the level, and with the way resistance has been ramping up I'm expecting to see a Spec Ops squad of Pseudogiants with autocannons mounted on them by the time I make it there.

All in all it's pretty decent so far.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo I had no idea that was out already

Broken Spork
Sep 12, 2007
Plastic
Where can we download it from?

The CoC ModDb page has nothing.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Broken Spork posted:

Where can we download it from?

The CoC ModDb page has nothing.

It got leaked. Because apparently modding hasn't advanced at all in the past 15 years and everyone wants to keep the lid on what they are working on and instead of letting the community get involved they get butthurt when the community sees something they were not supposed which happens a lot because apparently modders suck at not leaking poo poo...

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's been leaked. I know Alundaio and the COC team personally so out of respect I'd prefer it if people didn't post the actual links here, but if you really want to get it it's out there.

i wouldn't recommend it at the moment. The leaked version has a huge scripting error that cause crashes and save corruption. Turns out leaking a very much WIP thing results in a ton of problems.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

i wouldn't recommend it at the moment. The leaked version has a huge scripting error that cause crashes and save corruption. Turns out leaking a very much WIP thing results in a ton of problems.

This is why leaking doesn't actually accomplish much of value. I'll wait for the real thing.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ok, I tried installing the AMK/AA mod, but it crashes on startup. I installed the game, installed the 1.004 downgrade drag-n-drop. Launched, ran fine. Dropped AMK/AA's gamedata in, changed fsgame, immediate crash on startup before title screen.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ddraig posted:

Clear Sky is a very bleak game.

really its totally in character for the zone to break the third wall and make the game crash through the ether to keep you from unlocking its secrets

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Started a new faction wars and decided to go mercenary. They load up you really good no questions asked. I took a job nearby and ended up in the zombie warehouse. After killing a bunch of those guys I noticed that their weapons were all in flawless condition. Scored pretty well

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ok, I tried installing the AMK/AA mod, but it crashes on startup. I installed the game, installed the 1.004 downgrade drag-n-drop. Launched, ran fine. Dropped AMK/AA's gamedata in, changed fsgame, immediate crash on startup before title screen.

Is there anything in the logs? Did you try pasting into an empty file to see if an error message was saved?

Also, try renaming gamedata to gamedata.unused and see if the crash persists.

Edit: If you're using the 1.4.1 version, be sure to add -nointro to the game options in the launcher shortcut or from Steam launcher options. I added this to the summary page on moddb, see step 15 of the install.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 15, 2015

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Don't forget to edit your fsgame to true = true at the top.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Oblivion Lost 3.0 is out

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-oblivion-lost-30

Retro stalker today.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

v1ld posted:

Edit: If you're using the 1.4.1 version, be sure to add -nointro to the game options in the launcher shortcut or from Steam launcher options. I added this to the summary page on moddb, see step 15 of the install.

Huh, that worked. Thanks!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

Oblivion Lost 3.0 is out

Retro stalker today.

Very nice

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Russian version of SOC and the Worldwide version have different introduction movies as they were released by different publishers, from what I can remember, and this is a very common cause of crashes when attempting to play Russian mods with the English version.

Didn't think of the -nointro hack, I just usually edit the appropriate ui file.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ddraig posted:

The Russian version of SOC and the Worldwide version have different introduction movies as they were released by different publishers, from what I can remember, and this is a very common cause of crashes when attempting to play Russian mods with the English version.

Good to know the reason why. Will either do as you suggest or copy over the movie files if I upload another bundle.

Is anyone interested in playing DMX 1.3.2 with the dkz02 extensions? I'm playing it now and it's great. Very good translation, a weapons pack, SWO weather integration, HUD options, HD textures, he did a lot of work that didn't make it back into the mainstream. Also has dAVROs' unTERMINATEable mod so you're not constantly in fear of critical NPCs committing suicide. Doesn't have everything in the Joint Paks, but has been a great soup so far.

It's packaged for moddb upload with a couple of extras (AA2 ENB, Ceano's flashlight) but moddb won't take a 4.7GB file. Moddb is also crapping out when I try to upload as 2-3 smaller chunks, so I'm not going to put it there till they fix their uploads.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ddraig posted:

Oblivion Lost 3.0 is out

Retro stalker today.

I've been wanting to get back into Stalker for a while now, so this coming out was excellent timing.

After installing, I spoke to Wolf, walked out of the camp and was mauled to death by mutated cats.

Good god, it's like I never left the Zone.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Once the total CoP/SoC comes out (officially) we'll have great overhauls of all three games. Counting TFW for CS.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ddraig posted:

Have you run into an issue where all of the 'eliminate the X' missions never complete? The bandits in the car park, mutants in the area beyond the train bridge, and the bandits at the Garbage, none of them trigger when you finish murderizing the entire group. I now have 5 quests sitting in limbo :(

Edit: Save early, save often, if the savegame breaks (and it does constantly), you get to restart it from the last autosave, or sometimes even before that. I've done X18 three loving times now.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 17, 2015

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

New gunslinger video with gunplay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyTUNn3u1E8. The attention to detail is neat. I like the animation-driven healing a lot, too.

It's a pity they didn't do all this in OpenXray.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
From what I understand they're using injectors because they're insane.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Bumping my question about altering my guys stats, specifically health in Lost Alpha. I used to know how to open and edit some of the games files but it has been so long I don't remember any of this stuff. I would love some guidance on how to do this or how to spawn myself gear and medipacks as I go.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ddraig & Swartzy: would you consider including the "item usage takes time" feature from Smurth's HUD Reworked mod in Radium? Maybe as an optional drop-in? Having to think about when it's safe to use a bandage or medkit made AA2 more challenging in interesting ways. The mod contains a lot of other neat features, all of which seem to have made it into AA2. The helmet/breathing effects in AA2 were very well done too and seem to have come from here. Here's the mod's README file. I've uploaded the mod itself if you're interested in taking a look.

Edit: jketinyu is credited and that's Swartz, right? Full circle.

I've uploaded DMX 1.3.2 with the dkz02 tweaks to moddb - it's a very good People Soup variant. Ddraig's got a nice write up on why DMX is great on the last page. This is a patched and ready to install version of the core mod, with a bunch of optionals in a separate Optional folder. Details at the link.

Ddraig posted:

From what I understand they're using injectors because they're insane.

Wow, so they didn't use the source? Then maybe there's hope that OpenXray could be modified to use their external code - that is, their code won't be locked inside xrGame or some similar dll.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I'm playing through Oblivion Lost 3.0, and I'm still early on but I've already run into something I'm slightly dubious about. The little gatehouse where you move from Cordon to Garbage seems to spawn an infinite stream of military squads. As in, a new one pops by 30 seconds after you kill the previous one. Due to a small amount of quest backtracking for Sidorovich, the courtyard is full of about 30 corpses with tricked-out 100% condition AN-94s and other nice gear I can't even begin to haul away. If this is working as designed, it's an interesting choice.