Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

M_Gargantua posted:

Jerry should be seeking help for something the whole episode, reluctant to ask Beth, or Rick, and see the box in the garage when no ones around. Hesitation, a tentative reach. Cut to credits. Post credit scene is just a Meseeks punching Jerry in the face over and over.

Better than my idea for someone to call up a Meseeks for something, then for it get get resolved on its own or not technically complete for the Meseeks to die and Rick and gang portal away leaving the Meseeks trapped.

e;

Condiv posted:

that may be untrue. when rick, morty, and summer were trapped between existence and non-existence they should have been in a state of super-imposed existence and non-existence, but there was no visible difference in that measure. perhaps "existence" is having quantum observer status (ie: able to influence the world/timeline). if rick hadn't escaped perhaps he would have returned to the real world but as a phantasmagoric being that is unable to be observed or make any effect on the real world. basically, maybe rick would've been shadowbanned from life if he didn't reclaim his existence.

So that's where shadow people come from :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Condiv posted:

that may be untrue. when rick, morty, and summer were trapped between existence and non-existence they should have been in a state of super-imposed existence and non-existence, but there was no visible difference in that measure. perhaps "existence" is having quantum observer status (ie: able to influence the world/timeline). if rick hadn't escaped perhaps he would have returned to the real world but as a phantasmagoric being that is unable to be observed or make any effect on the real world. basically, maybe rick would've been shadowbanned from life if he didn't reclaim his existence.

Rick posted:

Don't think about it!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sirtommygunn posted:

They knew how to help Jerry, Jerry just wasn't willing to listen.

Exactly. The Meseeks were giving Jerry good advice, but Jerry doesn't like listening to other people because he's stubborn and easily offended so he ignored them. The Meseeks couldn't help because he wouldn't let them help him, even though they knew what the the solution to his problem was. A person like Jerry is Hell to a Meseeks.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Exactly. The Meseeks were giving Jerry good advice, but Jerry doesn't like listening to other people because he's stubborn and easily offended so he ignored them. The Meseeks couldn't help because he wouldn't let them help him, even though they knew what the the solution to his problem was. A person like Jerry is Hell to a Meseeks.

Well which is it keep my head down or follow through?

Jerry, we've been through this, you have to do both.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

"Mr. Poopybutthole" is also a sort of reference to an older Roiland/Harmon cartoon, The Unmarketables (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcMFHRXp8xM), but it's really more of a reference to Justin's general insanity.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

This didn't get enough love, but I did appreciate it. Thank you.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

MariusLecter posted:

Better than my idea for someone to call up a Meseeks for something, then for it get get resolved on its own or not technically complete for the Meseeks to die and Rick and gang portal away leaving the Meseeks trapped.

That's a pretty good horrifying "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" scenario right there.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The Red Queen posted:

That's a pretty good horrifying "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" scenario right there.

It doesn't really make sense, Rick isn't needlessly cruel, why not just shoot the thing in the face if it's begging for death?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

a cop posted:

It doesn't really make sense, Rick isn't needlessly cruel, why not just shoot the thing in the face if it's begging for death?

Aren't they immortal outside of fulfilling their request?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's what I remember.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

They can at least be killed by other Meeseeks. Or maybe just torn to shreds?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

They say "None of us can die until our purpose has been served" but I took that as some sort of built in genetic code that disallowed them from killing each other. I'm pretty sure rick could kill one of those things.. they did a decent job of loving each other up.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

They can at least be killed by other Meeseeks. Or maybe just torn to shreds?

The opposite is explicitly true. There are guns in that brawl, and Meseeks missing limbs and other bits that should probably be important, but they're all fine.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Typical posted:

How do you design a Space ship?

I got to design The SS Independence for Auto Erotic Assimilation. It was supposed to be an “abandoned adrift spaceship from the Unity Planet. The bottom designs were my first attempt. but James Mcdermott sent me in a better direction. and the final one ended up being one of the top. What you see in the Episode is of course inked by Andrew Delange, and Colored by Jack Cusumano And Jason Boesche.

Cool, but your Nebuchadnezzar + Sail Barge influences show through too much in that design.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

I think it's more like an obsessive compulsion that prevents them from killing themselves before their task is complete. They're physically capable of killing themselves and dying at any time, but psychologically they they feel compelled to stay alive until the task is done no matter how bad being alive feels.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

I think it's more like an obsessive compulsion that prevents them from killing themselves before their task is complete. They're physically capable of killing themselves and dying at any time, but psychologically they they feel compelled to stay alive until the task is done no matter how bad being alive feels.

This is pretty directly refuted by the part of that episode where they're literally ripping each other limb from limb and then they all collectively agree that Jerry's an rear end in a top hat gently caress Jerry.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Its pretty clear they can't be killed...how are people missing that? Repeatedly? It was shown in the show and then explained here in the thread multiple times. Normally when a premise like "they cant die until their task is complete" is presented in a show, it means that, and not some other convoluted explanation that the writers felt was important enough to be true but not explained or ever mentioned at all.

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 15, 2015

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Alright, I've got this one. We generate two Meeseeks, giving the first an arbitrarily difficult but objectively completable task like "recite the first ten million prime numbers" then we give the second one the task "kill that Meeseeks."

Alternatively, the center of consciousness of a Meeseeks isn't its body, but the Meeseeks box. The body is just the tool by which it completes its task and self-terminates. A destroyed Meeseeks (from, say, Rick's suicide machine) would remain conscious, and painfully extant, until its task was complete. It would just have no ability to move, communicate, or perceive anything.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Strobe posted:

This is pretty directly refuted by the part of that episode where they're literally ripping each other limb from limb and then they all collectively agree that Jerry's an rear end in a top hat gently caress Jerry.

Not really, they're making Meseeks not to kill themselves but to kill other Meseeks who disagree with them so they can complete their task faster and those other Meseeks are fighting to stay alive even though being alive is awful to the. It definitely feels like they have a compulsive need to be alive until their task is done.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Space T Rex posted:

Its pretty clear they can't be killed...how are people missing that? Repeatedly? It was shown in the show and then explained here in the thread multiple times. Normally when a premise like "they cant die until their task is complete" is presented in a show, it means that, and not some other convoluted explanation that the writers felt was important enough to be true but not explained or ever mentioned at all.

That's retarded. Rick could kill them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Not really, they're making Meseeks not to kill themselves but to kill other Meseeks who disagree with them so they can complete their task faster and those other Meseeks are fighting to stay alive even though being alive is awful to the. It definitely feels like they have a compulsive need to be alive until their task is done.

Except none of them are actually fighting to stay alive as far as we can tell? They're just fighting. And more importantly, none of them at all, period, are dying, regardless of the level of punishment and dismemberment inflicted upon them.

I mean how much loving clearer does "Meseeks can't die" have to be before you loving believe it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

And that's why, even when some Meseeks were created with the goal of "kill that other Meseeks", they all agreed to go after Jerry as a unit: The only way any Meseeks can die is if their task is completed, so if a Meseeks needs to kill another one, they're really actually stuck helping that one with its task. This was an actual plot point.

They're genies created by a box for a singular purpose and they can't die until they've finished it. Maybe rewatching the episode will help.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Oh god, we are the daycare for Jerrys.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

TequilaJesus posted:

Next you're going to argue Pluto's still a planet.

You heard about Pluto? That's messed up, right?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

KoRMaK posted:

But I woulnt mind seeing what the meeseeks do in their own universe

I don't think they do anything. They're born with the exact same personality, probably stored somewhere, and they understand the longer their task isn't accomplished, the longer they'll live in huge agony. Actually, it's beginning to sound a bit like Pigs Are People.

Though I'd like to see maybe the creators behind them. I imagine you can get a meeseeks box at a supermarket or something, you know the ones where you can buy socks and chicken without having to move your trolley. Maybe some dude was like "yeah can do, you can use my personality as a template for torture slaves" at the torture factory or something.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

ashpanash posted:

"Mr. Poopybutthole" is also a sort of reference to an older Roiland/Harmon cartoon, The Unmarketables (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcMFHRXp8xM), but it's really more of a reference to Justin's general insanity.

Holy poo poo guys, are we sure Mr Poopybutthole isn't a real parasite that's implanted memories of him always existing? I mean, I'm pretty sure he was on Justin's podcast too, with his brother Luigi.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Siamang posted:

Cool, but your Nebuchadnezzar + Sail Barge influences show through too much in that design.

Thanks for letting us know who the real expert on spaceship influence and design is. How dare they.

You dick.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I just love it so much that the hyper-obvious Meseeks storyline, where Mr. Meseeks is a genie/slave who dislikes spending his whole life serving others' needs and yearns only for freedom, is immediately sidestepped within seconds of him being introduced.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Fellbat posted:

Oh god, we are the daycare for Jerrys.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

KoRMaK posted:

they have to exist tho, in some form. it would be very unfamiliar to us, maybe we wouldnt even call it existence, but for them it is.
"Existence is pain for a Meeseeks."

- Mr. Meeseeks

- "Rick and Morty"

- Don't think about it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Strobe posted:

Except none of them are actually fighting to stay alive as far as we can tell? They're just fighting. And more importantly, none of them at all, period, are dying, regardless of the level of punishment and dismemberment inflicted upon them.

I mean how much loving clearer does "Meseeks can't die" have to be before you loving believe it.

But then what happened to the Meseeks who was ordered to kill the other Meseeks? He wouldn't have disappeared when Jerry got better at golf-oh wait yes he would have because technically he did help kill the Meseek he was created to kill.

Okay now I believe it.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Squall posted:

You heard about Pluto? That's messed up, right?

I miss that drat show already.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Just Offscreen posted:

Thanks for letting us know who the real expert on spaceship influence and design is. How dare they.

You dick.

Hey, if you're involved in making something and are genuinely interested in improving and not just fishing for feedback, would you rather hear "awesome!" or "hey it looks a little too derivative of X and Y"? There's a middle ground between yes man and dick.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You missed the middle ground and landed straight on the dick.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
No, saying something like 'this is poo poo' would be dick. I said it was cool but had some pretty apparent influences. Sorry about your tenderness!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

If meeseeks are truly immortal there would be innumerable wars between lower level civilizations where the acquisition of a single meeseeks box would spell doom and chaos across entire worlds. That would actually be an interesting direction for a followup so if they go that route cool but I think they can be killed!!!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Thank God goons have never found a meeseeks box

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Can we make "thinking about it" bannnable please? ...mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

ultramiraculous posted:

Can we make "thinking about it" bannnable please? ...mods?

The crux of "Don't think about it" is that Morty, in Rick's eyes, is incapable of thinking about it. Rick and Morty is a show that thinks about it.

• Locked thread