Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

tofes posted:

Most projections only have him on the top line because Doug Wilson never got an actual top line winger

And if he got one he'd probably move him back to D anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Minnesota Wild select Erik Gudbranson. Shoring up our defense with a HUGE young defenseman

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

lazerwolf posted:

Minnesota Wild select Erik Gudbranson. Shoring up our defense with a HUGE young defenseman

Oh gently caress right off. Goddammit

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Alright so here's why I picked would-be SA forum goon...

<Too sexy for your celly>

Michael "MD" Del "Z" Zotto, 25, D, $3.875m through 2017

To be honest, I've never really understood the rep he seems to with some fans, including some people here.

Dude came into the league as a 19 year old and had a solid 3 of his first 4 years, with a somewhat disappointing sophomore campaign that shouldn't have been a surprise. Then he had an off season and a bad tenure in Nashville and everyone seemed ready to give up on him. Sure, he may not be a defensive wizard, but he makes points happen and moves the puck up the ice well.

This last season, a breakthrough for him in terms of even strength production, and this despite the fact that he was finally trusted to be on the ice for some of the team's toughest assignments, like Crosby/Ovie/etc..., so I am optimistic that I won't have to shelter the hell out of him as I might with some of the other remaining offensively inclinied blue-liners. That said, I figure I can pair him with either one of Niskanen or Wisniewski on my 2nd or 3rd pairing and pretty much give him as good or better a defensive partner as he's ever had.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Habibi posted:

Alright so here's why I picked would-be SA forum goon...

<Too sexy for your celly>

Michael "MD" Del "Z" Zotto, 25, D, $3.875m through 2017

To be honest, I've never really understood the rep he seems to with some fans, including some people here.

Dude came into the league as a 19 year old and had a solid 3 of his first 4 years, with a somewhat disappointing sophomore campaign that shouldn't have been a surprise. Then he had an off season and a bad tenure in Nashville and everyone seemed ready to give up on him. Sure, he may not be a defensive wizard, but he makes points happen and moves the puck up the ice well.

This last season, a breakthrough for him in terms of even strength production, and this despite the fact that he was finally trusted to be on the ice for some of the team's toughest assignments, like Crosby/Ovie/etc..., so I am optimistic that I won't have to shelter the hell out of him as I might with some of the other remaining offensively inclinied blue-liners. That said, I figure I can pair him with either one of Niskanen or Wisniewski on my 2nd or 3rd pairing and pretty much give him as good or better a defensive partner as he's ever had.

People that aren't Flyers fans speaking well of MDZ feels so weird.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

By my count Vervictus had had 2 hours on the clock so let's just go ahead and double up on our Austrians and select Michael Raffl.

Pos:
Left Wing
Cap Hit: $1,100,000

Raffl provides a lot of flexibility. While he's not the flashiest guy around, he seems to play well no matter what role you give him. He's a serviceable first line player if you're in a pinch as well as an exceptional shutdown forward. This flexibility allows me to swap him in for Kreider or Pearson should one of them struggle (or if matchups dictate it).

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 15, 2015

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Infidel Castro posted:

By my count Vervictus had had 2 hours on the clock so let's just go ahead and double up on our Austrians and select LW Michael Raffl.

Verv missed a pick?!!?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Technetium posted:

Verv missed a pick?!!?

Shocking!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Sens take Rickard Rakell.

He's young, he's a center, he scored at lower levels, and he's got pretty great possession numbers (though they're skewed by his usage to some extent).

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

He's young, he's a center, he scored at lower levels, and he's got pretty great possession numbers (though they're skewed by his usage to some extent).

please stop taking all of the guys on my shortlist

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jordan7hm posted:

v good pick imo

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

its been over 2 hours for joeljoel, Stickarts is up now

Machoman asked me to make his 2 picks so I think I have 2 decent enough players for this deep in the draft, I'll be in and out for the rest of the day but hopefully we get this moving

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Kevin Bieksa still available? Sure!

Here's a chart!

Most of those bars are good! He's not that old. or bad. seriously.

gently caress LHD-men.

e: Right handed is right

Palat - Dubinsky - Kessel
Kulemin - Granlund - ???
??? - Schenn - ???
??? - ??? - ???

Ellis - Seabrooke
Bogosian - Bieksa
Giardi - ???

Lu
???

e2:

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 15, 2015

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Mikko Rantanen. Big, skilled, Finnish. Which means there is a 98% chance he becomes an elite 3rd liner, and a 2% chance he is generational. Whatever, my cupboards are baRely stocked with youngins, and this one seems pretty good.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Macho if you haven't fiigured it out by now it is your turn.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Kevin Bieksa still available? Sure!

Here's a chart!

Most of those bars are good! He's not that old. or bad. seriously.

gently caress LHD-men.

34 is pretty old esp. with as physically wrecked as he probably is, and the amount of bad he is right now pretty bad. that he managed to look like the worst member of Sbieksa a lot of the time is terrifying. he's still good at generating offense but negatively impacts everyone's corsi and goal production. his 3 year production still looks good but last year is probably much closer to the Kevin Bieksa Experience

in 2014-15 he had 985 minutes and only 414 with sbisa, and was still responsible for some horriffic stuff. you can check out his full WOWY stuff here but i cherry picked a few as an appetizer:
code:
Player	|	GF% With	|	GF% Without
=====================================================
Vrbata		41.67				59.18
Sedin		45.45				51.79
Sedin		47.83				55.17
Horvat		27.78				51.11
Hamhuis		31.25				49.25
Hansen		31.58				46.55
Dorsett		42.11				50.00
Sbisa		41.46				45.07

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bieksa was so so bad last year.

Actually it was mostly Sbisa and they were paired together a lot, but Bieksa is not the Bieksa of even two years ago.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Machoman asked me to pick 2 forwards going by whoever had the most points with one of them having to be a center, this took much longer than I thought because I assumed dudes like david desharnais were still around but after much searching on the nhl.com points leader list I have discovered Troy Brouwer and Sam Gagner who is listed as a center there at least

back to stickarts and joeljoel!

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Menamino posted:

Machoman asked me to pick 2 forwards going by whoever had the most points with one of them having to be a center, this took much longer than I thought because I assumed dudes like david desharnais were still around but after much searching on the nhl.com points leader list I have discovered Troy Brouwer and Sam Gagner who is listed as a center there at least

I would have loved to have taken Gagner with my last pick, but man is he bad on D.

And yes, he's a centre but will almost assuredly be playing on the wing in Philly.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Jiri Sekac, aforementioned. There iS, simply put, not really any legit top 6 talent left. Serendipitously, to break the fourth wall, as a real life habs fan I drank the Sekac koolaid and believe he could hit 20-30-50 while playing a smooth skating possession game if given the minutes. That I could even say this about Sekac while keeping a straight face is probably as good as it gets from here on out.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
JoelJoel gets the skip, so the Sens welcome back Antoine Vermette. I need centers, that is all.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Vermette was the guy I almost took to be 3C

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Continuing to build a solid defensive third line that can acore a bit, St. Louis selects C Calle Järnkrok.

Calle Järnkrok
Pos:
Centre
Cap Hit: $735,000

Why would I take a player that went almost an entire season and scored only 18 points?

That's why.

Järnkrok is a really, really good defensive centre that can also play the wing. I'm sure you're saying there are plenty of good defensive centres who can't score out there, right? Thing is, Järnkrok has the tools and is young enough that he could easily become a decent scoring threat. He reminds me at this point of a slightly older Sean Couturier. While he may not ever be a first line type, he slots into my third line perfectly right now and could possibly be a second line player down the line.

I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING CLEVER FOR THIS TITLE

Kreider - Koivu - Nyquist
Pearson - McDavid - Burakovsky
Raffl - Järnkrok - ?????

Vlasic - Shattenkirk
McNabb - Cole

Mason

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 15, 2015

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Dallas Stars, in their picking window, select Antoine Vermette.

Fine, keep your stupid player.

I'll take Drew Stafford

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 15, 2015

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

JoelJoel posted:

nice

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Verviticus missed his previous pick so is it Lazerwolf now?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Starsfan posted:

Verviticus missed his previous pick so is it Lazerwolf now?

yup

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

lazerwolf is skipped as of 7:45 est, starsfan is up

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Florida Panthers select C Adam Lowry

I first got a look at this guy in the 2014 Calder Cup finals when he played Texas, and in every game I've seen him at the AHL / NHL level he strikes me as an extremely frustrating player to be out there against. Lowry is a big guy who has a two way game already developed to a NHL level, and there may be some more offensive ability hidden in there. Lowry will go on the third line and play with some more talented line mates than he was stuck with at times in Winnipeg.

Drunk Canuck is next up.

Ladd - Seguin - Killorn
Niederreiter - Schiefele - Coyle
xxxxxx - Lowry - Karlsson

Josi - Hamonic
Dillon - Braun

Halak

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Minnesota Wild take Alex Chiasson

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

LA Kings select D Jonathan Ericsson

He's a warm body, might be able to play not awful.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I'll take Vincent Trocheck

e: team for reference

Schwartz - Johnson - Tatar
MacArthur - Wilson - Trocheck
Zucker - Domi - ?
? - ? - ?

Maatta - Faulk
Irwin - Green
? - ?

Ben Bishop
?

I also have the second lowest cap hit right now

I also swear I'll do some write ups, maybe tomorrow

also I swear to god if my picks get sniped in the next 60 picks

Technetium fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 16, 2015

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ginette reno has until 12 PM EST to pick

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JoelJoel posted:

Fine, keep your stupid player.

I'll take Drew Stafford

You are a good man (sorry about that). Though honestly repicking that one would also be fine, because ugh Vermette sucks.

Anyway my team at this point is:

Mikkel Boedker- John Tavares - Jordan Eberle
Josh Bailey - Victor Rask - Jakob Silfverberg
Rickard Rakell
Antoine Vermette

Erik Johnson - Oscar Klefbom
Marc Methot - Patrick Wiercioch

Henrik Lundqvist

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Dude Lundqvist is gonna have to make 60 saves every game. Johnson-Klefbom first pairing is horrid

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

tbone up

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

another dead sunday, hells yeah

rc cola can go

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Bring my players home

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Menamino posted:

Thanks again!

I wish I made my list before I was away. I didn't realize Jarnkrok and Vermette were still on. I think Gagner is still a good middle six player but I already have Hayes filling the center that should just play wing role. Brouwer is perfect though. He's got a good shot, is decent enough in his own end, and is physical. Since I missed out on Kreider or any of the other players with that type of game, this is a good consolation. He can easily slot in on any of the top 3 lines. I'll just have to draft a bunch of shitlords for my 4th.

I think my defense is pretty set. I can definitely find good 3rd pairing guys no problem. My top 4 are all pretty established and put up good stats last year. Fowler's the only one who has historically had some offensive game, but Scandella and Spurgeron were very good last year. Finding decent forwards now is getting hard. I think so far I've done pretty well, but I need to make sure I do well on the bottom six. I think I've Crosby, Kucherov, and Vanek all have realistic shots at 30g. The rest of the forwards beside Gagner all definitely have shots at 20.

Vanek(80gp 21g-31a-52p) - Crosby (77gp 28g-56a-84p) - Dano (35gp 8g-13a-21p)
Hayes (79gp 17g-28a-45p) - Kadri (73gp 18g-21a-39p) - Kucherov (82gp 29g-36a-65p)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Gagner (81gp 15g-26a-41p) - Brouwer (82gp 21g-22a-43p)

Fowler (80gp 7g-27a-34p) - Depres (75gp 3g-20a-23p)
Scandella (64gp 11g-12a-23p) - Spurgeron (66gp 9g-16a-25p)

Holtby (73gp 41-20-10 2.22ga .921sv% 9so)

Team goals: 187
Team points: 495
Forward goals: 157
Forward points: 390
Defense goals: 30
Defense points: 105

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Your team is interesting, I think the D is pretty weak, what with Despres on the first pairing. You'll score a lot but your forwards suck at defense.

• Locked thread