Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
We were talking about Trump laying the smackdown on Jeb in his home state, and I just had a vision of Trump crashing one of Jeb's rallies, blaring his theme music, and then challenging Jeb to a smackdown debate challenge right then and there. Now that we're this far, we need to go full pro-wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wolf Blitzer has to say "bah gawd that's Trump's music"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

hobbesmaster posted:

Wolf Blitzer has to say "bah gawd that's Trump's music"
"I'm getting reports that, yes, we can confirm that this is Donald Trump's music."

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I really want a primary poll of New York. I know they vote late, but it'd be hilarious to see Trump leading by 20 or so.

Also Pataki at 1% if he's lucky.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

what is this?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

JT Jag posted:

"I'm getting reports that, yes, we can confirm that this is Donald Trump's music."

lol

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

JT Jag posted:

Gold-plated folding chair.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trabisnikof posted:

If Biden somehow becomes the nominee...just thinking about it gives me flashbacks to '72.

Is anyone other than Dowd/The NYT saying poo poo about a Biden run?

E: Trump would almost certainly win FL over Jeb! due to the overwhelming preponderance of lovely long islanders and staten islanders in the FLGOP voterbase and it wouldn't even be close.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 15, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

People are bing rude and talking. Too many conversations.

Chaffee is talking about his record.

He voted against Iraq war.

Against people are leaving. :( I'm actually pissed at this.

Lots about his past still.

He is very proud. This is the saddest speech. We need a :smith: but chafee emote version.

Still more about his record. Oh chafee your bombing.

Oh god chafee stop the bio. Please say what will you do.

He RIPes Hugo Chavez.

I kinda want to go up there. Shush him and give him a hug. "That will do chafee, that will do." Then led him away.

He could centrifuge at home!

Hillary shout out. Give me a cabinet position please! Iran deal is good because we did it with p5+1.

He is floundering now.

He is getting some gusto.

The saddest speech. Person in front of me said poor guy people are leaving.

Crowd is just separating the wheat from the Chaff'.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
Walker is getting in on this approach too

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

RedQueen posted:

The first Hilary ad I like. If the message is "Scott Walker is Hilary's bitch", then they've succeeded. Other than that... ???

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

RedQueen posted:

900 million dollars

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Walker turned Wisconsin into Junior Varsity Kansas, so if he thinks he's gonna be running on the economic fundamentals he generated from Madison he's probably going to have trouble. Are there any (as far as America would be concerned rather than the GOP primary polling base) positives he's even able to take credit for? I mean he's got all those love letters to conservative ideology but they're basically direct contributing factors to the state's situation.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Anyone whose afraid Walker might win the presidency needs to be reminded that he barely wins in a gerrmandered to hell state, where talk radio does nothing but lick his rear end.

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

RedQueen posted:

"Stand with Walker, everybody is making GBS threads on him?" I'm SOLD.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

blablablabla posted:

Anyone whose afraid Walker might win the presidency needs to be reminded that he barely wins in a gerrmandered to hell state, where talk radio does nothing but lick his rear end.

Scott Walker is at the top of my list of as "candidate I would least want to be president" but this thread constantly seems to underestimate the guy whose won some 11 elections in a row in a considerably liberal state. That being said though, how exactly does one "gerrymander to hell" a statewide election?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blablablabla posted:

What does gerrymandering have to do with a gubernatorial election?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

RedQueen posted:

This makes Walker look like a Paypig. I mean, he is, but not Hillary's.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Obviously Hillary didn't mean any of those votes, because she cast them while being Hillary Rodham Clinton.

I am kind of curious what the hell this list is measuring - most liberal people in the Senate?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Nessus posted:

Obviously Hillary didn't mean any of those votes, because she cast them while being Hillary Rodham Clinton.

I am kind of curious what the hell this list is measuring - most liberal people in the Senate?

Well obviously they are sorted by the index of 'Rank'. Also sanders is listed as #1 so it must be a good metric.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Nastier Nate posted:

Scott Walker is at the top of my list of as "candidate I would least want to be president" but this thread constantly seems to underestimate the guy whose won some 11 elections in a row in a considerably liberal state. That being said though, how exactly does one "gerrymander to hell" a statewide election?

Like a lot of plains/midwest states it's marginally liberal on the balance of the state popular vote but it's full of rural folks and suburban belugas who eat that spiteful poo poo up. My city (Omaha) has a similar problem, where our poo poo-filled suburbs managed to get a jackass elected who can't direct resources for poo poo and thus left the arterial road approach to the city's primary trauma center covered in ice while snow/salt crews tended to back roads in the middle of nowhere, and since the thaw has been paralytic in their pothole repair campaign. People have been dealing with the same potholes for months in the actual city but a bunch of two-lane cattle paths out in the sticks have gotten freshly paved more than once.

The previous mayor was a structural engineer who took a very ops-focused approach and ran a surplus while having a 24-hour turnaround on arterial snow clearing and 3-5 day turnaround on pothole repairs. However, he supported a 2.5% in-city restaurant tax to pay for those services and he got run out of office by the present mayor's promises to repeal it. Not only has it not been repealed, she's been draining the city reserves and working on demolishing the library system so she could use the funds as incentives to lure more call centers to the suburbs.

Basically, never underestimate blind spitefulness from the rural areas in combination with midterm apathy from civilized society. Leveraging that spitefulness and resentment is the hallmark of nearly all of the 20th century's biggest villains. I wouldn't put Walker up there with Hitler's Bavaria or Mao's poor farmers but that doesn't mean rural spite and resentfulness aren't A Thing.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 15, 2015

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Is Joementum some sort of beltway staffer? How in the gently caress does he keep getting choice pics and quotes?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
twitter

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I gotta get in on this internet thing.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
People are calling Scott Walker

"A drooling weasel faced monstrosity with no moral compass"

"The Koch Brothers bitch'"

"Most patently evil thing to crawl out of Wisconsin since Ed Gein"

Stand With Walker

Donate Here

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/dem-primaries/251188-kerry-open-to-another-white-house-bid-but-not-now

quote:

Secretary of State John Kerry on Friday said he is not considering an Oval Office bid next year but would consider seeking the presidency again at another time.

“No, not at all,” Kerry said when asked about a 2016 run by NBC News anchor Andrea Mitchell in Havana.

“I have no idea what anybody is going to do,” he said of other rumored Democratic White House hopefuls like Vice President Biden or former Vice President Al Gore.

“I’ve been intensely focused on the diplomacy that we’re engaged in and we have a strong and significant agenda for the next 16 months and I’m going to be at it,” Kerry added.

But Kerry refused permanently closing the door on a presidential campaign.

“Well, I’m not saying forever and ever,” he told Mitchell. “I feel young enough to be engaged in America’s political process and debates over time, but not right now.”

“Now, I love the job I have,” Kerry added. “I think I have one of the best jobs, if not the best job, in government.”

If Hillary gets hosed by this email situation, how far back will Democrats look? Dukakis? Mondale?!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

William Bear posted:

If Hillary gets hosed by this email situation, how far back will Democrats look? Dukakis? Mondale?!

Emperor Obama repeals the 22nd amendment and we get the real Bush v. Clinton.

Dubya v. Bubba 2016.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Instagram too.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Nastier Nate posted:

The key to Walker's success is that his state runs off year elections. That reduces turnout and those that do show up tilt heavily in favor of conservative candidates.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Shifty Pony posted:

The key to Walker's success is that his state runs off year elections. That reduces turnout and those that do show up tilt heavily in favor of conservative candidates.

That didn't stop Mark Dayton from taking a massive poo poo on the MNGOP in 2014. My guess is Walker benefits from a historically weak Democratic organization in Wisconsin. If you put the DFL in Wisconsin, Walker would still be peddling his wares in the state house.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

i'm guessing some polisci statistical analysis of how liberal a senator's voting record is.

not surprisingly, progressives have always exaggerated hillary's supposedly conservative leanings because her husband was a moderate democrat, so surely she must be as well. it was always well known during her days as first lady that she was far more progressive than bill, but that was forgotten when it became convenient.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Martin Random posted:

We were talking about Trump laying the smackdown on Jeb in his home state, and I just had a vision of Trump crashing one of Jeb's rallies, blaring his theme music, and then challenging Jeb to a smackdown debate challenge right then and there. Now that we're this far, we need to go full pro-wrestling.

Trump already has main event Wrestlemania experience, so he's definitely got the advantage.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Concerned Citizen posted:

i'm guessing some polisci statistical analysis of how liberal a senator's voting record is.

not surprisingly, progressives have always exaggerated hillary's supposedly conservative leanings because her husband was a moderate democrat, so surely she must be as well. it was always well known during her days as first lady that she was far more progressive than bill, but that was forgotten when it became convenient.

This is something I have to keep reminding people. On a personal level she's obviously a retail politician but for the most part her positions are Good Ones, especially for the ones I care most about.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Concerned Citizen posted:

But don't you see? She was just doing conservative taqiyya to trick us! Her voting record is a false flag!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Nintendo Kid posted:

But don't you see? She was just doing conservative taqiyya to trick us! Her voting record is a false flag!

Or she was a senator from New York and the positions she took at that time were reflective of the most politically advantageous stances she could take in that situation.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Good Citizen posted:

Or she was a senator from New York and the positions she took at that time were reflective of the most politically advantageous stances she could take in that situation.

she could have voted to make Dec 25th Hitler Day and she'd still easily win re-election in New York. i wouldn't say she is immune to political pressure, but the idea that she went more liberal in a state and time where a primary challenge is exceedingly unlikely for political reasons is questionable. having not foreseen a real challenge for the democratic nomination in 2008, it would have made sense for her to tack to the center.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

RedQueen posted:

Walker will ride his liberals hate me shtick to the bitter end

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

nachos posted:

Walker will ride his liberals hate me shtick to the bitter end

"Click to find out this one politicians weird trick for winning elections. Liberals hate him."

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Silly Burrito posted:

Trump already has main event Wrestlemania experience, so he's definitely got the advantage.

Sanders will need Jesse for the inevitable cage match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tricky D posted:

"Click to find out this one politicians weird trick for winning elections. Liberals hate him."

It's bad clickbait to put his actual trick in the headline.

• Locked thread