Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I don't know if it's the same event but I really liked the early japanese fighter-biplane with the hydrofoil bits. I found you could skim across the surface at about 30%-ish propeller and pretend you were an anti-air speedboat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

No it wasn't a joke. I changed residence and was waiting for real internet.

Are you playing games at work or do you spend that much time on the water? Also, terrestrial link or satellite?

Playing games at work. Terrestrial, I'm in a harbor.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Have they hosed with ground rewards again? I sense that a talismanned Jagdpanther with 5 kills should yield more than 18k lions and 6000 RP.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ludicro posted:

Have they hosed with ground rewards again? I sense that a talismanned Jagdpanther with 5 kills should yield more than 18k lions and 6000 RP.

Sounds like the average state of ground rewards to me, that is, completely hosed.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

spectralent posted:

Sounds like the average state of ground rewards to me, that is, completely hosed.

I just had a game where I got 1 kill and 2 assists, and got 11000 lions and 5600 RP. Something seems wrong.

On the flipside I am very glad about the new Jagdpanther ammo racks!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

As I said before comparing RB and Sim, it doesn't appear to be that Sim's hugely better than RB, but in RB your rewards randomly attenuate beyond the first kill or two, so a 2 kill game and a 10 kill are basically the same, whereas Sim seems to actually scale, so the 10 kill game is a bonanza of XP. Maybe that's broke, but it possibly explained why I always felt ground forces rewards were awful.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

spectralent posted:

As I said before comparing RB and Sim, it doesn't appear to be that Sim's hugely better than RB, but in RB your rewards randomly attenuate beyond the first kill or two, so a 2 kill game and a 10 kill are basically the same, whereas Sim seems to actually scale, so the 10 kill game is a bonanza of XP. Maybe that's broke, but it possibly explained why I always felt ground forces rewards were awful.

So basically :gaijin:

20th kill for the event today was in my Jagdpanther against a T-54 :toot: Clearly this means T-54s are horribly overtiered and must be taken down to BR 7.0.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
So why is the F-84B so maligned? This thing loving owns, it goes fast, looks good, and once you get used to leading jet targets with the MGs it kills pretty well too. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do against Meteors but they're uncommon enough, and the more common Ho 229s are pretty fun to fly against.

Surprisingly seems kinda crap for CARB, though. Turns out that Tiny Tims are really inaccurate when you can't fire them from something that can get as close and maneuver as quickly as a propeller plane.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Sard posted:

So why is the F-84B so maligned? This thing loving owns, it goes fast, looks good, and once you get used to leading jet targets with the MGs it kills pretty well too. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do against Meteors but they're uncommon enough, and the more common Ho 229s are pretty fun to fly against.

Surprisingly seems kinda crap for CARB, though. Turns out that Tiny Tims are really inaccurate when you can't fire them from something that can get as close and maneuver as quickly as a propeller plane.

Historically it was under-powered compared to contemporary fighters to the point where they just said gently caress it, make the thing do CAS so we get our money's worth. In game from what I've heard it's kinda the same, but like you've mentioned the BR helps it get more forgiving games.

It does look pretty and they even made a swept-wing version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_F-84F_Thunderstreak

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BadOptics posted:

Historically it was under-powered compared to contemporary fighters to the point where they just said gently caress it, make the thing do CAS so we get our money's worth. In game from what I've heard it's kinda the same, but like you've mentioned the BR helps it get more forgiving games.

It does look pretty and they even made a swept-wing version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_F-84F_Thunderstreak

And then made a turboprop version of that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-84H

I long for the day we get to fly the Thunderscreech in game. Transonic prop fighter with the prop itself breaking the sound barrier as it rotates. :getin:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

What's the upside of the SU-152's B-type APHE round? Also why does the T-34-85 having the option of taking APCR while otherwise being the exact same tank put it .7 BR higher than the DT? :psyduck:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

spectralent posted:

What's the upside of the SU-152's B-type APHE round? Also why does the T-34-85 having the option of taking APCR while otherwise being the exact same tank put it .7 BR higher than the DT? :psyduck:

It's the APCR round. Exactly the same reason why the Tiger I E is .3 BR higher than the H1.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Sard posted:

So why is the F-84B so maligned? This thing loving owns, it goes fast, looks good, and once you get used to leading jet targets with the MGs it kills pretty well too.

BadOptics posted:

^This.

The guns are on the P-80 and F-80 both of which completely outfly the F-84. While considerably fast when going up against props, no enemy jet with mounted guns should have a hard time catching and dogfighting the F-84 unless they are inexperienced or multiple planes are involved. I used to play this a lot in SB just cause you can get away with it but it's quite the hardmode plane outside of that. It's a lot like flying a P-47 except jets light on fire easily and even endgame prop planes can sometimes push towards nearly 1000kmph if they know what they're doing.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

BadOptics posted:

It's the APCR round. Exactly the same reason why the Tiger I E is .3 BR higher than the H1.

.3 I could buy, especially if it was calibrated before the APCR nerf, but .7 is insane, especially given how useless APCR is 90% of the time.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

spectralent posted:

.3 I could buy, especially if it was calibrated before the APCR nerf, but .7 is insane, especially given how useless APCR is 90% of the time.

I'd just chalk it up as a gaijin-ism. Kind of like how the rewards in tanks are poo poo but they expect you to grind out jet-level amounts of RP and SL for tier V vehicles. :toot:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Is there a standard gunner replacement time for all tanks, or is it different for each one? I just killed a T-44's gunner (and commander) and think, "Ok I have time for a second shot since the Leo reloads so quickly", then 3/4 of the way through my reload BAM! I'm dead from a round the put through my ammo rack.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
nazi engineering vs russian bias
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK-z-Inn6aA

Yes, I got killed by a shell going through my tracks.

Wooper fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 15, 2015

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Let's pull out the joystick and TrackIR and fly sim!

Pick Japanese
>Team is evaporated in 5 minutes/americans win with ground units. Lose.

Pick Americans
>Team turn fights zeroes at low alt. Lose.

Why do I even bother :smithicide:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I've finally started researching the DM12 Heat/Fin-Stabilized round for the Leo.

Please tell me it's going to be worth the grind!

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

spectralent posted:

What's the upside of the SU-152's B-type APHE round?

It's a late war shell that is lighter and carries less explosive filler and is equiped with a ballistic cap unlike the original BR-540. Ingame they weight the same, and it only gives you a slight advantage at ranges of 1500+ meters or in penetrating heavily sloped armor (that will ricochet anyway). They both kill tanks good, but I stuck with the standard ammo as I rarely engage things at extreme ranges with my 152mm guns.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Blistex posted:

Is there a standard gunner replacement time for all tanks, or is it different for each one? I just killed a T-44's gunner (and commander) and think, "Ok I have time for a second shot since the Leo reloads so quickly", then 3/4 of the way through my reload BAM! I'm dead from a round the put through my ammo rack.

It's always 10 seconds.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Break is so cool; always great when an IS-2 spawns right next to you!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Gwaihir posted:

It's always 10 seconds.

Since I reload in under that, I'm guessing the kill cam gave me a false kill on the gunner.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

spectralent posted:

Are you talking about AB? I'm 99% sure that the T-34-85 D-5T is 5.0 and the APCR T-34-85 is 5.3.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
How to properly :homebrew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvb9dDUbBjo

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Blistex posted:

I've finally started researching the DM12 Heat/Fin-Stabilized round for the Leo.

Please tell me it's going to be worth the grind!

It's amazing, until you realize that

A) It has .01mm of fuse sensitivity so if it so much as even hits a blade of grass or a fence it will blow up. Goes double for hitting tracks or other pieces of equipment on the side of a tank, so make sure you hit armor.
B) You will quickly find out that your lions earned per match goes to 0 because it costs 1k lions to fire it.

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 15, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So what is the timezone for the special event purposes, MSK time?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

According to the pubbies in chat Germans have awful guns at the 6.7 range. I know pubbies were bad and prone to saying rubbish, but I don't think its possible for someone to be so wrong about something as they are about the long 88.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Has anyone had any success with the Commander's Golden Battles Wager? I've fulfilled all of it's requirements 2 battles in a row now , 3+ kills, a vehicle between ranks 3-5 and victory and the Wager says they were both failures.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Trogdos! posted:

Are you talking about AB? I'm 99% sure that the T-34-85 D-5T is 5.0 and the APCR T-34-85 is 5.3.

Sorry, RB as always. I really like RB okay.

amazing

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Goodchild posted:

Has anyone had any success with the Commander's Golden Battles Wager? I've fulfilled all of it's requirements 2 battles in a row now , 3+ kills, a vehicle between ranks 3-5 and victory and the Wager says they were both failures.

You were in the III-V bracket, right?

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010

Azran posted:

You were in the III-V bracket, right?

Yeah, i tried it with the seal clubbing Pe-3 setup and even once with a all high end German setup. Both were fails even though they shouldn't have been.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

spectralent posted:

Sorry, RB as always. I really like RB okay.

amazing

The T-34-85 is only 5.3 in RB. It's 5.7 in AB. Your research tree is probably in the wrong mode.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
The faster turret on the T34-85 makes me like it more than the D5T.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Goodchild posted:

Yeah, i tried it with the seal clubbing Pe-3 setup and even once with a all high end German setup. Both were fails even though they shouldn't have been.

Someone mentioned that in game modes with multiple spawns, you may "fail" if the match ends when you are in a T1~2 vehicle.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I did it in the Pe3 lineup without issue in T2 T-34s. You have to kill at least 1 player vehicle; NPCs don't count. Otherwise, :gaijin:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Whoever designed Mozdok should be hanged.

But they've finally fixed the machine gun on the best German tank :toot:

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 15, 2015

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012
How's the Ta 152 H-1 performing in RB? Most people I've encountered in matches tell me that it's bad. Is this really true?

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

So I was planing on playing a single match today then the game goes and gives me a talisman on my T-34 1941. Guess I'm gonna play a few more games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

TheNBucket posted:

How's the Ta 152 H-1 performing in RB? Most people I've encountered in matches tell me that it's bad. Is this really true?

Its my understanding that the 152 performs brilliantly at very high altitudes. Unfortunately most combat in War Thunder does not take place at very high altitudes and as a result the 190 D9 is generally considered to be a lot better.

• Locked thread