Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I don't know if it is the first game or if I am just mis-remembering, but in the third game, isn't the speed of throwing Pikmin much faster? Like Fae seems to be throwing 2 sec-1, while in the other games it must have been around 3 sec-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The throwing speed in all of the pikmin games has remained constant - it is entirely based on how fast you push the button and there is no limiter otherwise. Fae is just a slow button masher. The pikmin will fly as fast as you mash the button, which is very important for speedruns. We are not doing a speedrun so I'm not too worried about it, although I did ask Fae about maybe installing a turbo button sometime. We haven't done that yet.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
actually the speed at which you can throw pickmin is dictated by how far the pickmin are from Olimar if you get them all up in your biz you can throw as fast as you can push the button if not you have to wait for them to get in ranks behind you.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
FYI, Dolphin got a big Audio-related update two days ago. You should probably update your emulator and see if that improves/fixes the strange noises. You want the development version, anything 4.0-7286 and up. Do not use the Release Candidate 5 version, that one doesn't have the improvements.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 16, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Catching up on these videoes, I can't decide what is more horrifying; Fae playing this game blind or Argate Gnome misleading her with bad advice.

You don't swarm the wollywogs! :gonk:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 17, 2015

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Catching up on these videoes, I can't decide what is more horrifying; Fae playing this game blind or Argate misleading her with bad advice.

Now, now, don't blame Argate for what Gnome is telling her. I can however understand how after OoT one might think that any voice guiding Fae comes from Mr. Argate.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Internet Kraken posted:

Catching up on these videoes, I can't decide what is more horrifying; Fae playing this game blind or Argate Gnome misleading her with bad advice.

Always swarm the wollywogs! It weighs them down and kills 'em really fast. You just need to not do it until they land, is the trouble.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

gnome7 posted:

Always swarm the wollywogs! It weighs them down and kills 'em really fast. You just need to not do it until they land, is the trouble.

If you don't have the exact number of pikmin needed to weigh them down (or you screw up) then it just leaps, stuns your pikmin, and squashes them. You know, exactly like what happens to Fae in some of the videos. You're supposed to throw them on top. It still weighs them down if you have enough but if they get a jump off it doesn't kill any pikmin.

By tricking Fae into thinking swarming them was smart, you have murdered countless pikmin :mad:

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

If you don't have the exact number of pikmin needed to weigh them down (or you screw up) then it just leaps, stuns your pikmin, and squashes them. You know, exactly like what happens to Fae in some of the videos. You're supposed to throw them on top. It still weighs them down if you have enough but if they get a jump off it doesn't kill any pikmin.

By tricking Fae into thinking swarming them was smart, you have murdered countless pikmin :mad:

To be fair, have you seen Fae throw Pikmin at objects that move? I think more would die from accidently throwing yellows and reds into water that way. It would also be much slower than just swarming them to stun and kill them in one go.

Time is important in this game, what do a few lives matter if it saves time? :v:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time:siren:

Episode 14 - All About Them Creepy Eggs

I'm not sorry for anything :colbert:

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 18, 2015

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

That smoky progg fight :allears:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
drat that's a lot of dead pikmin

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
I have never seen what is actually in that egg because the same thing has happened to me every time, after all why wouldn't you have 100 blue pikmin when exploring the ocean/garden puddle ?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Panboy posted:

I have never seen what is actually in that egg because the same thing has happened to me every time, after all why wouldn't you have 100 blue pikmin when exploring the ocean/garden puddle ?

First time I found the egg I was exploring alone, so I ran up and poked it a bit. Nothing happened, so I just left.

Imagine my surprise when a few minutes later a horrible miasma beast lumbered into my camp and started killing everything! :saddowns:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Faerie Fortune posted:

Episode 15 - All About Them Creepy Eggs

I'm not sorry for anything :colbert:

welp

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
After careful study, I have updated the Wall with the Progg's deathcount.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Is the 33/33/33 thing in this one?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Major_JF posted:

Is the 33/33/33 thing in this one?

It is, I'm saving that for later.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Isn't this Episode 14?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I don't know what you could possibly be talking about I never make mistakes and I definitely didn't mislabel this episode because I got confused!

(I fixed it)

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
The smoky progg's miasma is only secondary in its horror. There's LOTS of other instadeath things you'll meet, but it's got unique fuckery that makes it even more dangerous that's yet to be mentioned that makes it the unmatched deadliest fucker in the franchise, but since it CAN be fought on the 15th day, I'll mention it once that video is out since I can't remember if the egg regenerates the next day.

I will never forget it because the way I did stuff on the day I first ended up facing it in actual battle allowed for even more damage than it normally would do, even doing poorly against it in a fight, at a point when I thought I had Pikmin 1 aced. I was filled with hubris, stumbled upon the superboss under worst possible circumstances, and Pikmin humbled me by breaking my loving legs so I would bow to it.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I never actually even encountered the thing myself, only seen it in videos, but it's probably one of my favorite video game "gently caress you"s :allears:

When I played it when I first got it I got to the Distant Spring on day 16 I think, and every time I play Pikmin now I'm on pace to fight it but get too lazy to beat the Forest Navel

I've also actually never beaten the first game. I should probably rectify that at some point.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The smoky progg is a very good example of the old exploration-based video game mantra of "hmmm I wonder what this thing is AAAAAGGGGHHH"

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Faylone posted:

The smoky progg's miasma is only secondary in its horror. There's LOTS of other instadeath things you'll meet, but it's got unique fuckery that makes it even more dangerous that's yet to be mentioned that makes it the unmatched deadliest fucker in the franchise, but since it CAN be fought on the 15th day, I'll mention it once that video is out since I can't remember if the egg regenerates the next day.

Spoilers for something next episode but it does not respawn, so talk away!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Faerie Fortune posted:

Spoilers for something next episode but it does not respawn, so talk away!

Bonus video? My bloodlust is not yet satified.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Pyroi posted:

Bonus video? My bloodlust is not yet satified.

Seconding this. Wanna see you use your accumulated knowledge of the Pikmin ways to get back to this point as fast as you can after the main LP is done, and then fight the good fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fae's only strategy against...well, everything, is "swarm swarm swarm". For the sake of the LP its probably good that she didn't actually get to fight the Progg itself because that would of been a disaster.

Also my favorite thing about snitchbugs is how they fly. If you look at their model you'll notice they don't actually have wings. Instead they just have huge antennae which they use as substitutes for wings. Its so goofy.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Internet Kraken posted:

Fae's only strategy against...well, everything, is "swarm swarm swarm". For the sake of the LP its probably good that she didn't actually get to fight the Progg itself because that would of been a disaster.

Also my favorite thing about snitchbugs is how they fly. If you look at their model you'll notice they don't actually have wings. Instead they just have huge antennae which they use as substitutes for wings. Its so goofy.

If the progg fight had been the game-ending disaster I was expecting it to be, we would've restarted day 14 and not poked it. Pikmin 1 has a dedicated "revert to last save" option in both the pause menu and the end of day screen, so we are playing the game with that option very much on the table.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 15 - I Have Made Some Mistakes, Gnome

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What did you do to that poor coin to make it hate you so much?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Fae, you're really going to need to step up your button-mashing game.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
"Further right. He isn't in the water. He is :siren:NOT:siren: in the water. Opposite way. Well, he's dead."

Forget bulbears, longlegs, or even the dreaded water. Fae's biggest enemy in this game is maps.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Fae: spends time worrying about the 2 or 3 Pikmin that get left behind because of distractions; leads hundreds of Pikmin straight to death at the hands of Bulbears and Frog Nuggets.

Although the Pikmin pathfinding struggles are pretty apparent as well.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The greatest enemy of Pikmin is not Bulbear, nor Mushroom, nor Progg, but actually Fae.

Samovar posted:

Fae, you're really going to need to step up your button-mashing game.

Yes, this too. I suggest finding Mario Party minigames with button mashing, and then playing them until you can win reliably.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Jesus christ.

Watching you play is so goddamn frustrating.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fun fact, Pikmin need a drat good tailor to pull off a look.

I am not a tailor.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

"Further right. He isn't in the water. He is :siren:NOT:siren: in the water. Opposite way. Well, he's dead."

Forget bulbears, longlegs, or even the dreaded water. Fae's biggest enemy in this game is maps.

It's okay, I understand her pathfinding got better in Let's Play Pikmin 2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Speleothing posted:

Jesus christ.

Watching you play is so goddamn frustrating.

You clicked on a blind Pikmin LP thread and expected the person playing to be experienced at it? :confused:

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

CJacobs posted:

You clicked on a blind Pikmin LP thread and expected the person playing to be experienced at it? :confused:

Nope, just didn't expect when the helper said straight ahead for olimar to go off at a 122.5 degree angle.
I was expecting the left-right issues as they had shown up in OoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The lid. The lid. The lid.

• Locked thread