Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Pham Nuwen posted:

I still need to figure out what's going on with my carb... it's loving nuts, I think it's so huge due to some sort of emissions thing.

Edit: tell me more about your truck btw, poo poo to look out for and such. I'm loving mine so far, can't wait to get in there this weekend for the oil change, timing belt & water pump change, radiator flush, etc. Amazon's got parts converging on my location from all across the country.
It's really sensitive to vacuum leaks. That's been driving me crazy since one of the previous owners opted to rip out part of the emissions poo poo, which also runs on vacuum. So there's a lot of possible spots for me to have to plug.

Also if you have to replace the pitman arm (mine had a toast balljoint) be careful not to warp the splines it goes on when torquing it to the specified over 100 ft-lbs. Did that myself which gave the alignment shop guys a bit of a fit. :v:
I didn't seen anything in the Haynes manual warning about this or how to avoid it so yeah.

If you end up having to replace the oil pan gasket you will end up wanting to kill yourself. You have to remove the steering linkage and a frame crossmember to get the thing enough clearance to drop, and then you get to figure out how to rtv two surfaces at once since there's an oil baffle that goes between the pan and the block.

On the whole everything else has been pretty easy and parts are fairly cheap. Brake and clutch cylinders were a breeze.

Pham Nuwen posted:

actually since we're having tirechat right now, what tires are you running on yours? Mine has 3 5-year-old Kumhos and one tire with studs in it. I'm thinking I should get a new set of the cheapest acceptable tires on there.
Whatever the last owner had plus one used tire to replace a damaged one. Haven't gotten around to getting a new set yet since they still have some decent tread. The original size is weird by the way so expect to have only a few options.

Since the truck is my bitch vehicle it's going to get a raspberry pi and a capacitor bank in place of the battery in the nearish future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Parts Kit posted:

Since the truck is my bitch vehicle it's going to get a raspberry pi and a capacitor bank in place of the battery in the nearish future.

Thanks for the rest of the info, and please make a thread about this or something when you do it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Parts Kit posted:

Dammit, that's what I should have done with that 200lb of 1F stiffening caps I ended up getting rid of.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Here's the vid on the capacitor thing that got me interested in it by the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3x_kYq3mHM

ed: in case it isn't clear the raspberry pi is for other stuff like gps, mileage tracking, music, and whatever other random poo poo I can think of.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Is anyone here or has anyone here been involved in auto damage appraisal? I've been in transportation/logistics claims for 10 years and I'm getting burned out with it. I really enjoy cars and already know a lot about repair/parts. I'm considering getting my license and making a career switch. Any words of wisdom on it? Or is this a dumb idea I should run away from immediately? It seems like interesting work and I'd really enjoy the "getting out of the office" aspect that has driven me nuts for years. Field work sounds awesome to me.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
What's a good method of anchoring something to sheet metal? Particularly, something that had previously been attached by anchors in the sheet metal? Working on a mustang that had window louvers but the anchors that are still there are stripped and the rest are missing. Is there a good anchor for this purpose?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Speednut?

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
My new shocks for the back of my truck came with metal sleeves that I guess go in the bushings. Is it alright to grease the inside of the bushing to press them in?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SlayVus posted:

Anything I should do to figure out what caused this break? I've already ordered a replacement part, but I don't want it to break in me because the one I bought was the only one I could find.

Also this part is cast, is it really that hard to get a strong weld on it? I asked a friend welder and he said it probably wouldn't hold.

Looks like a 91-98 Jeep 4.0L and you should just junkyard the bracket, it'll cost you like ten bucks and they are everywhere. Also, you are missing the other half of the bracket (it's a stamped steel piece that goes on the front and holds down with a handful of nuts and the two bolts through the alternator) which is why you are breaking brackets and likely bolts in the future. You have bolts instead of studbolts in the two positions that go through the timing cover and block into the bracket that broke, as well, you'll need those.

You can grab all of this in about 15-45 minutes at the junkyard depending on your skill level.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

I don't think those will work without drilling/cutting the backside of the panel, which I want to avoid if possible. I'm picturing something like a helicoil or a threaded insert that I can drill into the surface. If I go hacking things up I'll just use machine screws and nuts

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

Looks like a 91-98 Jeep 4.0L and you should just junkyard the bracket, it'll cost you like ten bucks and they are everywhere. Also, you are missing the other half of the bracket (it's a stamped steel piece that goes on the front and holds down with a handful of nuts and the two bolts through the alternator) which is why you are breaking brackets and likely bolts in the future. You have bolts instead of studbolts in the two positions that go through the timing cover and block into the bracket that broke, as well, you'll need those.

You can grab all of this in about 15-45 minutes at the junkyard depending on your skill level.

Only problem with this is that I'm looking at a 2 hour round trip for this.

Now is the missing piece you're talking about supposed to like a front bracket. That fits here?

SD-455
May 15, 2009

by Lowtax
So I got a weird one

66 Mustang. I was under the dash messing around with fuses and feeling around for some wiring and after I finished my brakes don't work at all, pedal just goes straight to the floor. After i pumped the pedal a bit I looked under the dash and saw that there was a clearish fluid leaking down the steering column where it meets the firewall(?) in the interior. What the hell did I do?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sounds like you blew out the seal on the master cylinder, get a rebuild kit if you feel comfortable with that or just a whole new cylinder if you don't.

Obviously do not drive the car until you've done this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You might've knocked a fluid line loose. But yeah that's brake fluid and it's pretty unpleasant stuff so I'd keep it clear of any plastic or painted surfaces and figure out specifically if the MC is shot or if it's a loose/leaking hose.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geirskogul posted:

Which 110v HF welder was the only not-poo poo one for auto body use again? I can't find the posts about them. I just need to do some replacement body panels on the bus, and I'll be learning at the same time.

I'm also assuming an angle grinder is appropriate for old rusty panel cutting at odd angles, right?

The HF mig is only AC and flux core only. It has awful heat control. You really need a welder with DC and gas.

Check out craigslist or spend about 350 (I got my Hobart for 350 - gas regulator, face shield, cart and a few accessories) and about 150-200 on a bottle.

I know SiF has a chineseium real gear that works good too.

But you need gas to make good repairs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SlayVus posted:

Only problem with this is that I'm looking at a 2 hour round trip for this.

Now is the missing piece you're talking about supposed to like a front bracket. That fits here?

It looks like this, including the bolts and aluminum bracket, not sure this is the right year but it is the right idea:

The left side of the pic is the bottom of the bracket.

The lack of a steel front plate is making the alternator cant sideways under belt load, this resulted in the bolts breaking and the alt falling out of Sandbagger's MJ twice because some chucklefuck mechanic/PO thought it was too annoying to put back in. In your case it appears to be breaking the bracket instead. Easy fix with junkyard parts, confirm the year and I can give you a range of donors to grab one from at the JY, then show up at the sellers house (assuming you are buying it) and install it in his driveway and drive the thing home.

SD-455
May 15, 2009

by Lowtax

Godholio posted:

You might've knocked a fluid line loose. But yeah that's brake fluid and it's pretty unpleasant stuff so I'd keep it clear of any plastic or painted surfaces and figure out specifically if the MC is shot or if it's a loose/leaking hose.

Enourmo posted:

Sounds like you blew out the seal on the master cylinder, get a rebuild kit if you feel comfortable with that or just a whole new cylinder if you don't.

Obviously do not drive the car until you've done this.

drat thanks guys.

edit: well I think I found what my dumb rear end punctured.

]

SD-455 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 15, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

martinlutherbling posted:

Looking at getting some summer tires (for the spring). Does anybody have experience with Sumitomo HTR Z III's? They're some of the cheapest on Tire Rack but have tons of positive reviews with almost no negative feedback. I know tires aren't something you want to cheap out on it but it seems like these are just a legit good value. Car is an 05 92x Aero if that makes a difference.

They've been my go to summer tire for the last couple years, both my Baja and Veloster are currently running them. I've really liked them and you can't beat them for price/performance ratio.

They're pretty decent in the rain, fun at autoX, comfy for daily driving. Overall great tire for the price, not the best tire ever obviously, but drat good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SD-455 posted:

drat thanks guys.

edit: well I think I found what my dumb rear end punctured.

]

If that boot had fluid in it, your master cylinder was already failing.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Wally Joyner posted:

I have a better idea:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mastercylinderreplace/howworks.html
I think this would be why I am seeing the same condition for both master cylinders, considering I am using the same rod/backing washer on both units and have not looked for this measurement

This was it. gently caress yes.

Adding this bit of space fixed everything.

I took the dogs out with me once I was confident I could make it back safe so here is a lovely phone picture.

The yellow one generally looks worried.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 15, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wally Joyner posted:

This was it. gently caress yes.

Hell yes! We need an AMC thread.

KING BONG
Aug 6, 2009
Stupid question... and it's fague. I have $15,000 to spend and I'm looking for the best vehicle to buy, used or new for a family of 5. Preferably not a mini van.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

KING BONG posted:

Stupid question... and it's fague. I have $15,000 to spend and I'm looking for the best vehicle to buy, used or new for a family of 5. Preferably not a mini van.

Probably a Mazda CX-5 or 7 but with a family of five you really need to be considering a minivan.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

totalnewbie posted:

Changing to a colder plug won't hurt your engine; the only risk is fouling (and/or wasting your money if it doesn't help the issue). What part number is your plug, 12620540? 12625058? Either way, if it's 12620540, you can try 12647827 (for Ecotec Gen 2 2.0L T/C LTG) and if it's 12625058, you can try 12642791 (for HFV6 Gen 1). The gaps will be the same.

That said, I don't think a colder plug will fix the issue; spark plug heat range doesn't affect knocking, just pre-ignition, which is different and you'll definitely know if that happens.

The thermostat, on the other hand, definitely could be the fix, because knock has a high correlation with intake air temperature.

And FWIW, it doesn't matter if you bought AC Delco or NGK :)

Yeah, I'm well aware (actually, thanks to you) that NGK makes most of AC Delco plugs. :v: I did have some serious pinging with the first set of NGK plugs I put in it, but they were the V-power instead of the recommended iridiums.

It currently has ACDelco 41-105s, whatever that translates to with NGK. It's an Ecotec L61 2.2, not the boosted 2.0. It doesn't look like 41-105 cross references with any of those part numbers. There was never a V6 available in my car.

It sounds like pre-ignition to me, I have a tendency to use spark knock and pre-ignition interchangeably - definite audible pinging at lower RPMs (below 3000), and I can feel a pretty severe loss of power at the same time. The little bit of viewing I've done via Torque shows timing getting severely retarded at the same time, but I've never done any logging on it.

For what it's worth, I ran a tank of premium (93) through it today. No audible pinging, but mileage will be a wash since I was driving it pretty hard most of the day (we were severely understaffed at work today). Never felt a loss of power, so I don't think it ever pulled timing. I'd have to actually get off my rear end and do some data logging to be sure.

It rarely gets below 40F here even in January, so I don't think a colder plug will hurt. Of course, with only about 15k on the plugs, I'd rather not drop more cash on another set unless I need to.

Honestly, I get the feeling that the original owner just never stomped on it, and that it may have a lot of carbon buildup. I do know if I shift according to the upshift indicator, I get a P0420 (catalytic converter be hosed) code, whereas when I actually shift where it feels like I'm actually getting reasonable power, that code goes away (and the MPG goes up significantly - the stupid thing wants me out of 1st before 2000 rpm). P0420 appeared once a bit over 2 years ago, and only when I was shifting by the upshift light. If it used an actual bulb I'd remove it, but it's an LED soldered to the cluster, and the cluster can't be disassembled without snapping off the needles. :argh: I'll probably put some electrical tape over it eventually.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Might not be a saturn issue, but could be your knock sensor. My subies all have trash knock sensors to begin with and most of the time that the first place i look to a pingin/ mpg issue.

It's audible spark knock/pinging that I can hear inside the car if the windows are open, so I really don't think it's the knock sensor. Unless it's saying "oh hey mr PCM, everything is all dandy, advance the spark and give her all she's got!".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 15, 2015

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah, I don't remember what the AC Delco numbers are but I know what spark plugs go in the engine you've got and I'm telling you what spark plugs you can use to replace them that are one heat range colder. I know you don't have the LTG but I know the plug designs so if you have 12620540, get 12647837 and if you have 12625058, get 12642791 if you're wanting a step colder. I mean, technically, there's differences other than the heat range but they're improvements so you're fine.

So anyway, given that
1. The knocking/pinging occurs at low RPMs
2. Using a higher octane fuel eliminated the problem
I'd say you have knock and not pre-ignition. Knocking is auto-ignition of fuel due to compression, whereas pre-ignition is ignition of fuel from a hot spot in the cylinder (whether spark plug or elsewhere). They have very different pressure traces. A higher octane fuel will, of course, help prevent auto-ignition due to compression (knock) but will do nothing to help against pre-ignition.

Generally, PI will severely damage your engine and given that your car is still running, that's another reason I don't think it's PI.

Also, if your plugs have carbon buildup that's causing them to misfire, you'll get P030X codes for misfires, not the P0420.

See what happens after you fix the thermostat :) You don't want to change the plugs anyway and it's not as if it's too much work to do plugs separately.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KING BONG posted:

There's a thread for you:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

But, you should get a minivan.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

KING BONG posted:

Sorry man. Mini van time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

you can fit ten people in full gear in the back of an M54A2 if you get the optional dual row bench seats, along with two in the cab. You know what must be done.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The minivan is pretty much the perfect vehicle. I don't know why people are so opposed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Astonishing Wang posted:

The minivan is pretty much the perfect vehicle. I don't know why people are so opposed.

A minivan means you are tied to your family while an SUV means you can go anywhere!

(you will drive both to Costco)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KING BONG posted:

It's basically a minivan but we weren't calling them minivans yet...

You don't want some drat Honda Odyssey or whateverthefuck, that's fine. Your penance is to drive this with a 65hp engine. Get a nice one and everyone will think it's cool. Get a ratty one and hey, you'll never get asked to pick up the neighbor kids because it would look too much like an abduction.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Uthor posted:

A minivan means you are tied to your family while an SUV means you can go anywhere!

(you will drive both to Costco)

I drove my Astro plenty of places that people were scared to take their Explorers. My friend had a 4wd GMC Safari that went EVERYWHERE.

Embrace the minivan.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's basically a minivan but we weren't calling them minivans yet...

You don't want some drat Honda Odyssey or whateverthefuck, that's fine. Your penance is to drive this with a 65hp engine. Get a nice one and everyone will think it's cool. Get a ratty one and hey, you'll never get asked to pick up the neighbor kids because it would look too much like an abduction.

Also because nobody wants to put their kids in that death trap.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Hey man, he never specified that safety matters, just that he doesn't want a minivan!

SD-455
May 15, 2009

by Lowtax

IOwnCalculus posted:

If that boot had fluid in it, your master cylinder was already failing.

Do i need to replace the boot too or just the master cylinder?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

Hey, the kids will be just fine, protected by the engine from the rear and the parental crumple zone in the front.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SD-455 posted:

Do i need to replace the boot too or just the master cylinder?

Usually the master cylinder (or kit, if you're going to rebuild that one) will come with a new boot. You don't need to change it, but if the old one is torn then you might as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hey man, he never specified that safety matters, just that he doesn't want a minivan!

Then he should buy three Miatas!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Minivans used to be garbage when your only engine options were horrible 1980s-designed 4-cylinders that could barely push a mower out of its own way or iron tank V6s that barely made more power. They still have the stigma of giving up on your hopes and dreams, but they're worlds better than they used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You could also get a shortbus and put monster truck tires on it. Or a buick roadmaster, if you want everyone behind you to honk when your kids reach their teens and realize they can flip off their captive audience while riding in the back.