Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

quote:

- Construction components now take 4 seconds to be assembled

Isn't this an increase? They're already super hosed up, they should be instant like all other comparable poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Sealand

Spookydonut posted:

Isn't this an increase? They're already super hosed up, they should be instant like all other comparable poo poo.

It used to take them around 7 seconds to complete. They have to take longer since they're in everything, but not basic like steel/interior plates.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Server patched!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zennik posted:

Server patched!

Guess what? You gotta update it again :v:

quote:

EDIT 08/14/2015:
Update 01.095.012
- fixed crash when turret is aiming
- fixed crash in hangar door
- fixed thruster overload on small ships
- fixed modded thrusters not working properly
- fixed catwalk block being too expensive (removed metal grid component)

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guess what? You gotta update it again :v:

Updated... again...

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Are there a lot of goons on the server? I've been thinking of picking this up again but none of my friends will play with me :(

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

zennik posted:

Updated... again...

See? Didn't you miss this?

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Spookydonut posted:

See? Didn't you miss this?

Actually, its not as bad these days. I have the freedom to do more at work, which I did not have before.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Do any of you guys play From the Depths? I saw a let's play of it on Youtube and bought it, and the builder is a bit intimidating. It does have actual combat and interesting AIs, though. It seems it'd be right up the alleys of a few posters in here.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

GotLag posted:

Do any of you guys play From the Depths? I saw a let's play of it on Youtube and bought it, and the builder is a bit intimidating. It does have actual combat and interesting AIs, though. It seems it'd be right up the alleys of a few posters in here.

I looked at it, and liked what I saw. However, it's single-player only, which limits the amount of fun for me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GotLag posted:

Yes, it's a lot of fun. Less pretty than space engineers but a lot more content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfIYRez4qTE

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 15, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Spent some time working on the Avalon Mk.3 again. I've had to up the power supply to Arc Reactors because of the upped draw of the Imhotep Thrusters, so a pair of them now share a nice armored core chamber.

It's the armored chamber at the far end of Engineering. There's also several Fusion Reactors for secondary power around the ship.

One of the side-benefits from rebuilding the main broadside batteries is I've managed to actually connect the landing pads on the Lower Hangar Deck to the conveyor network and space them out a little better. Previously they were just there for secure docking.

The Manufactorum's also been tidied up a little with the Welders moved to the side for a bit more room. I'm also aware the projector plate's askew and something way down on my list of poo poo to do, because it'll probably be a bitch to fix without it exploding due to PHYSICS when I try.

The main hangar bay used to have three pads for general docking. It's now got six for a total of twelve bays in all onboard. This fucker'll hold a full squadron :v:.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

GotLag posted:

It's decent, very complex (not a bad thing) - but the UI leaves a lot to be desired. The AI battles and campaign modes are fun though, if you can deal and get used to the clunky controls / UI.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Can someone explain to me how to sufficiently connect a small ship to a large ship so that I can jump both at the same time? I've been using a connector but the small ship just stays in place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You need to use landing gear to secure it for a Jump. I recommend the maglock mod in the OP if you want something that'll sit flush with the hull of your small ship.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Yeah I just tried a landing gear and it's not too bad. I'm playing on the goon MP server so there's only mods that the host has on it. That said my modified rescue ship 1 or whatever is pretty sweet after spending a loving eon trying to find cobalt.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Ugh, ok, so, how do you people get small ships built in your fancy ship factories? Getting a small projector attached to a Large Ship seems tedious as gently caress. And even compact Large Ships are too bulky to fit through most hanger doors.

Basically my idea is to make a Mothership that allows me to remotely build and pilot drones for the purpose of mining, repair, and defense. So that I never need to leave my comfy oxygen-filled Throne Room.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rhjamiz posted:

Ugh, ok, so, how do you people get small ships built in your fancy ship factories? Getting a small projector attached to a Large Ship seems tedious as gently caress. And even compact Large Ships are too bulky to fit through most hanger doors.

Basically my idea is to make a Mothership that allows me to remotely build and pilot drones for the purpose of mining, repair, and defense. So that I never need to leave my comfy oxygen-filled Throne Room.

Second listing under Goon Creations :v:. Copy the projector mount (the two Rotor Bases with the small-block mount attached) and slap some Twin Welders on either side of it in your ship, with maglocks facing the mount piece to keep it secure in-flight. A good demo's my screenshot of the Avalon's factoring cell a few posts up.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 18, 2015

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Rhjamiz posted:

If you know the rotor trick to get a small ship and large ship on the same grid then it's pretty simple to design something from there.

Just stick a small rotor part on a large rotor base.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Been meaning to put this together for a while (kept putting it off because of having to go through programming all twenty-odd goddamn timers necessary for the various ammo types and to keep it idiot-proof) - Have a bigass Gravity Cannon gutted out of the Avalon. Just stick it in your ship and go ruin someone's day.

Also redesigned the barrel to look a little sleeker in-general. (Above and below for comparison)

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Are there any skyboxes that work with DX11? Preferably a nebula style one with reduced visibility and a moving plasma storm instead of a sun.

I'm trying to set up a server for some friends with a resource rich but hostile environment with quite a few mods so performance is important and I'd like to cut down the view distance without having horrible pop in effects.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Skyboxes appear pretty static and don't seem to actively hinder players. Also fog + current engine performance sounds horrible.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I'm seriously falling behind on my shipbuilding. I have a lot of ideas, but can't seem to turn them into anything workable. I've been thinking about armour schemes in particular, and settled on something I'll just roughly sketch -

Left side is for less crucial (i.e. not ammo/propulsion/command) compartments, right side is for armoured compartments. The apple-shaped cross-section is to allow the broader, armoured upper surfaces to act as a kind of turtle shell against incoming fire or meteor showers, with no penetrations save essentials (weapons, gunnery directors, thrusters). The turtle shell extends almost the entire length of the ship, but the side belts only cover critical areas and are capped off at either end by armoured bulkheads (as opposed to lighter ones). The flight bridge is ventral, along with various armament and any penetrations for airlocks. Special areas of the ventral surface are concave in shape in order to fit small launches and lifeboats. The powerplant and command compartment are near the centre of the ship.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rossmum posted:

I'm seriously falling behind on my shipbuilding. I have a lot of ideas, but can't seem to turn them into anything workable. I've been thinking about armour schemes in particular, and settled on something I'll just roughly sketch -

Left side is for less crucial (i.e. not ammo/propulsion/command) compartments, right side is for armoured compartments. The apple-shaped cross-section is to allow the broader, armoured upper surfaces to act as a kind of turtle shell against incoming fire or meteor showers, with no penetrations save essentials (weapons, gunnery directors, thrusters). The turtle shell extends almost the entire length of the ship, but the side belts only cover critical areas and are capped off at either end by armoured bulkheads (as opposed to lighter ones). The flight bridge is ventral, along with various armament and any penetrations for airlocks. Special areas of the ventral surface are concave in shape in order to fit small launches and lifeboats. The powerplant and command compartment are near the centre of the ship.

Your design's failed before it started if you're going for a serious effort in armoring up your ship - there is no "up" in space, so armoring only the flanks is meaningless - you need to extend that armor around the dorsal and ventral sides of those areas as well. Through the ship too, for that matter, to make them relatively self-contained inner chambers.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The idea is that you turn your 'top' towards the biggest threat. Optimal ship design for space combat is a giant armoured ball with weapons poking out of it like impact sensors on a WWII sea mine - I don't really find that interesting, so I try to deliberately design (manageable) flaws into my ships to give them some flavour.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rossmum posted:

The idea is that you turn your 'top' towards the biggest threat. Optimal ship design for space combat is a giant armoured ball with weapons poking out of it like impact sensors on a WWII sea mine - I don't really find that interesting, so I try to deliberately design (manageable) flaws into my ships to give them some flavour.

I think a long oval with a flat end works just as well :v:. I actually meant more that you just wedge an extra layer of armor around in/under the ventral and dorsal areas of those sections rather than a full redesign of the entire ship though.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
To me, All or Nothing is the only armour strategy that makes sense.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Yeah, that's more or less my idea with the exception of the turtle shell (which can be reduced as necessary).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Space turtleshell makes sense, especially if you can arrange weapons along its surface. You can point your armored side toward the enemy and then issue a massive broadside volley.

Design-wise, this allows you to have a more vulnerable "undercarriage" that's mainly devoted to utility- connectors, storage access, doors, docking bays, and such. This is as opposed to a ship that is 100% armored, which has less space to devote to that sort of thing; a docking bay is basically a giant hole in the ship for people to shoot missiles into, after all.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I was also thinking of a space turtle-ship, though the scale I was working at ultimately defeated me. I discovered symmetry mode and ended up creating a massive octagonal structure with octuple redundancy. Engines are super loving weak, I've noticed. Moving anything that big is a goddamn chore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

deadly_pudding posted:

Space turtleshell makes sense, especially if you can arrange weapons along its surface. You can point your armored side toward the enemy and then issue a massive broadside volley.

Design-wise, this allows you to have a more vulnerable "undercarriage" that's mainly devoted to utility- connectors, storage access, doors, docking bays, and such. This is as opposed to a ship that is 100% armored, which has less space to devote to that sort of thing; a docking bay is basically a giant hole in the ship for people to shoot missiles into, after all.

Yeah, just sit and fend off whatever while your miners/salvagers work in peace on the "soft" side. Having the docking bay entrance go through the sides of your ship isn't so bad though - most stuff will just go in one side and out the other, or just thud into the armored deck.

Rhjamiz posted:

I was also thinking of a space turtle-ship, though the scale I was working at ultimately defeated me. I discovered symmetry mode and ended up creating a massive octagonal structure with octuple redundancy. Engines are super loving weak, I've noticed. Moving anything that big is a goddamn chore.

Try upgrading your thrusters to something like SAGE's Industrial Thrusters, or Sektan's various offerings, if you don't mind mod blocks. Also pictures of your octagonal-squared monstrosity please :allears:.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I've altered Bezposhchadniy a bit. It probably isn't 100% fixed DX11-wise, but I've replaced some of the offending blocks (and improved the interior decor in doing so). I've also made various small upgrades, mostly to the interior. No new screens on the Workshop page - I'll replace the outdated ones later. Still no primary weapon system, I'm still trying to figure out what to do for it. I also have to weed out the unused mods so it doesn't take forever to load.

I'm tempted to try and design (and then place) some kind of launch on it so it has a means of transferring crew or allowing for escape in emergencies, but I need to find somewhere I can put it without ruining the ship's lines. It's going to have to be pretty slim - probably a small ship conformed to fit underneat the centre section.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, just sit and fend off whatever while your miners/salvagers work in peace on the "soft" side. Having the docking bay entrance go through the sides of your ship isn't so bad though - most stuff will just go in one side and out the other, or just thud into the armored deck.

I figure larger ships will keep smaller shuttles/fighters inside interior hangars (either opening through the sides or belly of the mothership), but for smaller vessels like destroyers or light cruisers, externally-stored launches will both look baller as gently caress and save on interior space and complexity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rossmum posted:

Still no primary weapon system, I'm still trying to figure out what to do for it.

Oh yeah, I played around with that sucker a bit a while ago. Try lowering the forward antenna two blocks and sticking a pair of the big smoothbore cannons in. They'll be nicely recessed there so they don't interfere with the ship's look and give it a nice forward- firing punch. Also adding it to the OP as I forgot to do it last time you showed it :doh:. With the general upgrade to thrusters, have you considered using SE-Toolbox to turn all the armor to Reinforced? Or just keeping it Light for general style?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 18, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

If I could easily tell the upper armour from the rest without having to dick with the paint job, I'd convert that to heavy armour and then leave everything else light. Otherwise, it can stay light for now. As for forward-firing weapons, I'm not sure about that - despite nominally being a destroyer it's not super-duper agile and they'd be difficult to properly aim with the FCS I have in mind. I was planning on some kind of torpedo launcher or heavy-calibre turret underslung where the advanced rotor is currently poking out, but I have to decide which and then come up with a viable turret design first. After that, I just need to find somewhere to whack the director that won't get in the way and won't easily get wrecked. Perhaps I'll have separate upper and lower directors, just in case.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rossmum posted:

If I could easily tell the upper armour from the rest without having to dick with the paint job, I'd convert that to heavy armour and then leave everything else light. Otherwise, it can stay light for now. As for forward-firing weapons, I'm not sure about that - despite nominally being a destroyer it's not super-duper agile and they'd be difficult to properly aim with the FCS I have in mind. I was planning on some kind of torpedo launcher or heavy-calibre turret underslung where the advanced rotor is currently poking out, but I have to decide which and then come up with a viable turret design first. After that, I just need to find somewhere to whack the director that won't get in the way and won't easily get wrecked. Perhaps I'll have separate upper and lower directors, just in case.

I don't think a constructed turret's the way to go - the ship's too small to offset the mass of one, so it's gonna wind up constantly spinning or tearing off its own weapon mid-flight.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I named my space turtle "The Zaratan." :cool:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So, planet speculation. How tough do you think they're going to make it to have your ships function in atmosphere, regarding the amount of thrust you'll need to get back out, and such? I wonder if my first experience with a planet is going to involve getting stranded there when the landing craft I go in with can't reach escape velocity :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

deadly_pudding posted:

So, planet speculation. How tough do you think they're going to make it to have your ships function in atmosphere, regarding the amount of thrust you'll need to get back out, and such? I wonder if my first experience with a planet is going to involve getting stranded there when the landing craft I go in with can't reach escape velocity :ohdear:

Enhanced Gravity Generators are all you need to see if your ship will fly or splat in gravity. Also added it to the OP modlist.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also pictures of your octagonal-squared monstrosity please :allears:.

Well ok. If it were ever finished and fully armed, I suspect the Basetagon could have 80% of it totally destroyed and still remain fully operational.

The Basetagon.

From above. Or below.

This is the entrance. Gravity in the chute is 4 Gs going out. A byproduct of the intersecting gravity fields.

One button controls the outer doors, the other opens the interior doors separating the two levels.

Heading out from the central shaft, we fine Medical and Oxygen. It's upside-down as a result of Symmetry Mode. It's right-side up on the other level. OH WELL.

The control room. The left door leads to an identical control room. The right door leads to the hanger control room.

The hanger. Buttons were never set up, since the Basetagon was never finished.

The hanger from the inside.

The entrance into... Maintenance?

So Gyros. I'm hungry.

Upstairs is the main industrial area. Never really meant to be ever accessed, just open for convenience's sake.

The Refinery ALSO ended up upside-down due to Symmetry mode. WELP. Too lazy to fix it now.

Exterior hanger shot.

Each of those window sections is a mirrored control room, containing all adjacent rooms. There are four hangers.

Basetagon Mk. II. I will call it the Jellyfish, as we are forgoing hangers in favor of exterior assembly and storage of drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Goons! Specifically, goons who know how to computer! I have a thing I'd like to propose.

You can use either mechanical linkages or scripts for programmable blocks that will automatically cause all your (block-based) turrets to aim where the director is aiming. However, this can't account for parallax error by adjusting shot convergence, so it's only so useful. It also can't control actual prebuilt turrets, only block-based weapons. The first thing I thought when I saw the laser antenna was how much it looks like some kind of electro-optical targeting complex, like something you'd see on the nose of an Apache - would it be possible to create a modded block from it which automatically causes all turrets to aim at the specific point where it's aiming, thus accounting for the problems with the existing system and allowing for it in a smaller, less breakage-prone package?

As for everyone else, this is adorable and while I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, it looks like it might just answer my prayers for a compact, effective CIWS system that can be fed via conveyors and doesn't look like rear end.

/e Nevermind, I can't read, it's not a turret. Welp.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 18, 2015

• Locked thread